Corocotta15

Thunderer

13 comments in this topic

[TORPZ]
[TORPZ]
Beta Tester
162 posts
19,380 battles

I played only 4 battles in her - 4 wins, 2.27 avg kills per match and 120k average damage maintaining steady 35.28% hitrate (mind you - hit rate will prolly grow as Im still adjusting to the guns)

I know "<insert tier> Warspite" is overused cliche but this ship is what happens when Vanguard, Conqueror and Warspite have a threesome. You get Vanguards trademark low rudder shift time and fast turret traverse (5 deg/s), conqueror hull and warspite-ish accuracy (1.9 sigma coupled with supercruiser dispersion formula).

The Good: Improved heal (like Monarch), 22.9s reload with MBM3, 30mm overmatch, gunhandling and rudder responsiveness

The Not Bad But Good To Keep In Mind: Rudder is fast but agility is a little lacking - 29.5 knots is on lower end of T10 BBs and you have low 900-ish meters (about 930m) turn radius (I know port says 800ish but its not true) - you cant exactly overextend but if you are caught, you are not likely to make good escape. Gun angles do not allow you to fire all guns from autobounce angle (35 degs blindspot). Yamato can theoretically penetrate your citadel through main belt at close-ish if you attempt to do so. 

The Bad: Your healthpool is amongst the smallest at tier 10 and you dont have Conquerors heal to compensate

The Outright Ugly: your armor consists of your main belt - thats it. Everything else except for bulges is 19-32mm - couple it with previously mentioned healthpool and you are tremendously vulnerable to entrenched HE spammers.

I personally use this build but feel free to switch EL for PM.

EDIT: 12 battles - 75% WR, 118k average and hitrate up to 39.24%

• Cool 4

Players
21 posts
3,671 battles
On 9/18/2019 at 7:44 AM, ScarecrowCZ said:

I played only 4 battles in her - 4 wins, 2.27 avg kills per match and 120k average damage maintaining steady 35.28% hitrate (mind you - hit rate will prolly grow as Im still adjusting to the guns)

I know "<insert tier> Warspite" is overused cliche but this ship is what happens when Vanguard, Conqueror and Warspite have a threesome. You get Vanguards trademark low rudder shift time and fast turret traverse (5 deg/s), conqueror hull and warspite-ish accuracy (1.9 sigma coupled with supercruiser dispersion formula).

The Good: Improved heal (like Monarch), 22.9s reload with MBM3, 30mm overmatch, gunhandling and rudder responsiveness

The Not Bad But Good To Keep In Mind: Rudder is fast but agility is a little lacking - 29.5 knots is on lower end of T10 BBs and you have low 900-ish meters (about 930m) turn radius (I know port says 800ish but its not true) - you cant exactly overextend but if you are caught, you are not likely to make good escape. Gun angles do not allow you to fire all guns from autobounce angle (35 degs blindspot). Yamato can theoretically penetrate your citadel through main belt at close-ish if you attempt to do so. 

The Bad: Your healthpool is amongst the smallest at tier 10 and you dont have Conquerors heal to compensate

The Outright Ugly: your armor consists of your main belt - thats it. Everything else except for bulges is 19-32mm - couple it with previously mentioned healthpool and you are tremendously vulnerable to entrenched HE spammers.

I personally use this build but feel free to switch EL for PM.

From numerous battles experience (and the realisation I suck with Thunderer):

- Yamato can pen your citadel when angled at practically any range, not theoretically at close-ish range. Tbf this is the same for most ships, except the new Conq super huge citadel is hilariously easy to hit at 20km.

- There seems to be some sort of sweet spot that non-Yamatos can citadel even when your angle is pretty sharp, which seems to be something to do with going just through the 32mm plate and clipping into the very high citadel when you think your actual belt is angled enough to deflect most BB fire

- You're covered in 19-32mm plate and also take massive damage from every HE spammer in existence

- You don't have any gimmick superheal to mitigate this, so having the huge extreme new conq citadel feels a bit unfair regardless of how good your guns are. Everything is your counter.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
On 9/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, ScarecrowCZ said:

Without trying to take away from the achievement, I'd like to point out that hit rate isn't a very good metric for relative accuracy. Hit rate depends also on other factors than accuracy. One good example would be how players who play a lot of Gneisenau and play her well tend to have pretty solid hit rates in the ship which can approach 30% and up. Is this because the Gneisenau is super accurate? No. It's because with only 6 guns, you have to play the ship in ways that maximises accuracy to get things done. Same reason why high dpm ships can have comparatively poor hit rates, because even if the rain of shells lands in the water due to evasive maneuvers, the damage of what actually hits is sufficient.

Also, one thing worth pointing out in your listing of advantages would be that given it's a Conqueror hull, you get a pretty solid concealment for a BB. Combined with good guns, makes for good cruiser blapping.

• Cool 1

[TORPZ]
[TORPZ]
Beta Tester
162 posts
19,380 battles

Advanced issues found

20 hours ago, DoktorvonWer said:

From numerous battles experience (and the realisation I suck with Thunderer):

- Yamato can pen your citadel when angled at practically any range, not theoretically at close-ish range. Tbf this is the same for most ships, except the new Conq super huge citadel is hilariously easy to hit at 20km.

- There seems to be some sort of sweet spot that non-Yamatos can citadel even when your angle is pretty sharp, which seems to be something to do with going just through the 32mm plate and clipping into the very high citadel when you think your actual belt is angled enough to deflect most BB fire

- You're covered in 19-32mm plate and also take massive damage from every HE spammer in existence

- You don't have any gimmick superheal to mitigate this, so having the huge extreme new conq citadel feels a bit unfair regardless of how good your guns are. Everything is your counter.

ad first point - I was talking about citadel penetration through belt near the magazines not about 32mm extremities. 

ad third point - Ive mentioned it already

ad fourth point - you have Monarch heal - while not zombie heal its still the second best BB heal in game. 

2 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Without trying to take away from the achievement, I'd like to point out that hit rate isn't a very good metric for relative accuracy. Hit rate depends also on other factors than accuracy. One good example would be how players who play a lot of Gneisenau and play her well tend to have pretty solid hit rates in the ship which can approach 30% and up. Is this because the Gneisenau is super accurate? No. It's because with only 6 guns, you have to play the ship in ways that maximises accuracy to get things done. Same reason why high dpm ships can have comparatively poor hit rates, because even if the rain of shells lands in the water due to evasive maneuvers, the damage of what actually hits is sufficient.

Also, one thing worth pointing out in your listing of advantages would be that given it's a Conqueror hull, you get a pretty solid concealment for a BB. Combined with good guns, makes for good cruiser blapping.

Gneisenau doesnt really maximize accuracy. While its possible to get these numbers with it I kinda thought its obvious Im not making YOLO torp runs/secondary brawling with Thunder.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, ScarecrowCZ said:

Gneisenau doesnt really maximize accuracy. While its possible to get these numbers with it I kinda thought its obvious Im not making YOLO torp runs/secondary brawling with Thunder.

Gneisenau doesn't have good accuracy, but the low barrel count forces players to play it in a way that gives a high accuracy. If I blast an enemy at 10 km all the time for say 3 out of 6 shell hits, it would show the same 50% as if I regularly hit 4 out of 8 Nagato shells at 15 km, yet I would still get more out of Nagato and neither value is indicative of the actual accuracy of these ships.

[TORPZ]
[TORPZ]
Beta Tester
162 posts
19,380 battles
56 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Gneisenau doesn't have good accuracy, but the low barrel count forces players to play it in a way that gives a high accuracy. If I blast an enemy at 10 km all the time for say 3 out of 6 shell hits, it would show the same 50% as if I regularly hit 4 out of 8 Nagato shells at 15 km, yet I would still get more out of Nagato and neither value is indicative of the actual accuracy of these ships.

Yeah, I get all that - my point simply was that I am reliably landing 1/3 of shells even at longer distances with this ship.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Ok, after getting enough coal to get Thunderer yesterday: Godly main battery, acceptable hull. Feels like what the RN BBs should have been like. Now I can go sell Lion, because I need no Conqueror.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,259 posts
12,229 battles

Feels great to me, possibly OP. Not that I've played it all that much or have any other T10 BB. But it almost seems like it has too much going for it. Awesome guns, amazing turn rate, supercruiser-tier concealment and AA that tells CVs to **** right off. Only the armor and secondaries suck, and the latter should almost never come into play anyway.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
1,255 posts
25,507 battles

Ship is good, not tanky but quite decent overall, unfortunately she has been cursed for me since my first match...

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 hours ago, MoveZig said:

Feels great to me, possibly OP. Not that I've played it all that much or have any other T10 BB. But it almost seems like it has too much going for it. Awesome guns, amazing turn rate, supercruiser-tier concealment and AA that tells CVs to **** right off. Only the armor and secondaries suck, and the latter should almost never come into play anyway.

Frankly, the Thunderer is certainly strong, but weird, because the main armament is great, except when it is not (shell speed can be a bit of an issue), just like the tankiness is crap, except when it is not (because the heal is insane). Overall, the Thunderer seems to me like a ship that easily gives high damage scores, but needs to take quite the risks to also have impact. Like, if all you want is 100k damage average, that is doable by just loading HE and farming someone from 20 km away. But it will lose you games. After all, it's a BB, it should not just do the job of a Yoshino.

It is pretty lulzy though when you are up against anything that doesn't overmatch you and you either blab them in the side with AP or when they go bow-in, you load balanced HE and hit them for good damage anyway. Just today played it again and it's absolutely insane when at ranges in excess of 20 km you hit an angled Moskva for over 8k and 2 fires, in close to mid range you can just shoot BB bows for 14k and fires, Smolensk I today hit for 20k in an HE salvo and breaking half their stuff because 70 mm cit plating... This on a ship where the AP is not crap either, but actually very competitive, it's likely overall the most insane armament on a (released) BB we have in the game, with only the shell speed holding it back. Not that it needs buffs. I prefer keeping it as is, as it allows at least some dodging.

Sign in to follow this