You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Flavio1997

Ark royal review?

45 comments in this topic

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,802 battles

i would love to buy this ship ( i have a 30% coupon so it would be a 14 euros) but i can't fnd any real review/information about it.

Someone can say something about it?

i know that it should be like a kaga/enterprise but at tier 6

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,470 posts
19,663 battles
8 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

i would love to buy this ship ( i have a 30% coupon so it would be a 14 euros) but i can't fnd any real review/information about it.

Someone can say something about it?

i know that it should be like a kaga/enterprise but at tier 6

The planes are slow, but the TBs drop 3 torps per attack and the DBs drop 8 small bombs per plane. You can make it work, but expect to be a sad panda in T8 games.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,740 posts
5,280 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

The planes are slow, but the TBs drop 3 torps per attack and the DBs drop 8 small bombs per plane. You can make it work, but expect to be a sad panda in T8 games.

Low health too, seeing as they are tier 4 planes. A very sad panda indeed.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,432 posts
13,375 battles

I bought it (with 30% off voucher - yay for anniversaries) - it's Ark royal, after all!

I suspect mine is going to spend most of its time in Ops and Coop, but what the hell. She's very pretty and has Swordfish and everything.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
278 posts

Wow, what a good review... NOT. Just gameplay and nothing else, offers no opinions or pros and cons...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I suspect mine is going to spend most of its time in Ops and Coop, but what the hell. She's very pretty and has Swordfish and everything.

Now if only they would push Graf Zeppelin down to tier VI as well, and give her those Stuka dive bombers they showed us in the pretty promotion picture when she went on sale. Those Stukas were a major selling point for me. And no, I'm not looking for a refund, here - I just want my Stukas! :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 7

[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles

power wise i found her to be pretty on par for the tier , even able to do things in t8.

theres just not much reason to play her instead of the silver t6 . one more torp per pass, weaker rockets, and the same bombs in a more rocket type pattern she just plays too much like anything else, her mechanic got murdered in balance so now her difining quality is simply that shes slow. yeah you can stay in the short range AA and turn back on a target. why would you want to? and yes you can go make a coffee while the planes fly to target. there just not big pluses to me.

she really should of been more intresting. 

• Cool 1

Players
217 posts
9,217 battles
2 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

power wise i found her to be pretty on par for the tier , even able to do things in t8.

theres just not much reason to play her instead of the silver t6 . one more torp per pass, weaker rockets, and the same bombs in a more rocket type pattern she just plays too much like anything else, her mechanic got murdered in balance so now her difining quality is simply that shes slow. yeah you can stay in the short range AA and turn back on a target. why would you want to? and yes you can go make a coffee while the planes fly to target. there just not big pluses to me.

I think Wargaming are nervous of all the stuff they got from the original CV rework, it's easier to slowly buff a ship up than introduce an overpowered ships and then nerf it back (particularly if it's a Premium).

If it sucks that badly it will get some buffs but from what I've seen so far it's really not terrible compared with the cv's at this tier but not better, but then a Premium shouldn't be better than grindable ships.

• Cool 3

[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles

its not that shes bad im sure the spreadsheet will say shes fine, its that shes pointless and boring. she deserved more 

Players
217 posts
9,217 battles
1 hour ago, Padds01 said:

its not that shes bad im sure the spreadsheet will say shes fine, its that shes pointless and boring. she deserved more 

Careful, you'll have massed ranks of dd players after you armed with pitch forks and torches :Smile_teethhappy:

[BBMM]
Players
5,773 posts
7,334 battles
On 9/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Procrastes said:

Now if only they would push Graf Zeppelin down to tier VI as well, and give her those Stuka dive bombers they showed us in the pretty promotion picture when she went on sale. Those Stukas were a major selling point for me. And no, I'm not looking for a refund, here - I just want my Stukas! :Smile-_tongue:

I do not have it, do no want it, but I STILL THINK YOU ARE RIGHT.

There. Graf Zeppelin without STUKA is like having Nonkel Dolf without moustache and hair and amputated right arm:

I know we can still expect the same performance, however there is no difference with any other bullyboys on the block.

So yes, bring on those STUKAS and also the YERICHO HORNS. Because JUST!!

[BBMM]
Players
5,773 posts
7,334 battles
On 9/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, Padds01 said:

I found her a bit weaker than Furious, but depending what red ships you get.

theres just not much reason to play her instead of the silver t6 . one more torp per pass, weaker rockets, and the same bombs in a more rocket type pattern

Hmm... the one more torp usually misses unless BB (but might be me being cross-eyed),

but the rockets are a bit stronger IMO = I get 3-3.5K on a hit and Furious usually 2.2k.

I think that's because there re more of them. Besides that, more fires as a result.

The bombs are rather more pleasing, shorter droptime and narrower "spread". 

she just plays too much like anything else, her mechanic got murdered in balance so now her difining quality is simply that shes slow.

It's mostly the visual aspect indeed. BUT... easier to aim, because slow.

Also, easier to avoid the FLAK. 

yeah you can stay in the short range AA and turn back on a target.

Yes, that too.

why would you want to?

BC you hit the shipo good but didn't get fire?

and yes you can go make a coffee while the planes fly to target. there just not big pluses to me.

:Smile_veryhappy: yes that's true.

I think still is, a T6CV with pleasing visuals, no T8MM and usable in Operations.

• Cool 1

[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

I think still is, a T6CV with pleasing visuals, no T8MM and usable in Operations.

damn near all ive had are t8 matches, is that a proposed change?

[BBMM]
Players
5,773 posts
7,334 battles
14 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

damn near all ive had are t8 matches, is that a proposed change?

No that's just RNGesus hating you. I had mostly T6/7, but then again most games were full off AA-cruisers and DDs.

I even had a T5/T6 game, most T5 were DD, and an Omaha - but no fat juicy T5 German BBs.

I think well yaaarrrrrr but what happens, I slap one DD, rest of them gets deleted, I end up with Omaha, and Normandy/Dunkerque/Oktobr Revodakka. 

Pfffrtttt when you think MM finally loves you... and then the teammates you get.

Had a T7/T8 though where I had a few BBs to feast on, turned out better than the T5/T6.

I think we need to play it a bit more to really appreciate it.

83061769_T6CV.thumb.JPG.4263ed5160b11d5c4b0f6b5b057be316.JPG

[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles
44 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

No that's just RNGesus hating you.

Bit confused , so is there some sort of protection /limit against t8 MM for ark royal?  abov the normal i mean

[NFURS]
Beta Tester, Players
76 posts
5,997 battles

Basically not woth the money until WG fixes it.

Starting from Planes:

Blackburn Skua: Good speed and fine armor. Unfortunately that's all good thing about this aircraft. Rockets have good penetration, but they do almost no damage even when aimed correctly. You can test these for free by getting Furious.

Swordfish TB: Man this thing is slow. 98knt for standard cruise (no cptn skills). Good thing about it is that you get squad of 9 (3x3) so even when uptiered you may be able to do one full drop. Torpedoes arms very quick (~350m) and has same drop pattern as Audacious. DMG and SPD is crap as all UK Torps, 

Swodfish DB: It's just nerfed version of the same plane from Hermes (Ark Royal's one has less bombs in payload). Drop pattern is nice and tight though, but bombs do very little damage and usually you won't make it to do a second drop.

Hull: 

Fastest T6 CV... And that's all good I can say about it I guess. It's hard to consider fast plane regeneration as a true feature because it takes forever to get from your deck to the target so even with standard replenishment time you'd get your squadron back before you have to use it again xD. In this case WG should consider at least making Ark Royal's planes more stealthy to give them some feature to compensate for super slow speed and allow them to pick up a fight when uptiered.

In general the Ark Royal is currently a perfect example of overnerfing everything CV related. It's a nice ship to troll your own team. From the gameplay standpoint when you get to T5 - T7 game, it can't do anything, becomes even more useless while matched with T8. If you get her for free, it's worth to keep her in port because she looks gorgeous. You'll need a lot of patience to play her though.  

Final verdict:

Biggest WG scam ever. Do not buy! It's not worth even a penny. Keep if you get her for free. 

[BBMM]
Players
5,773 posts
7,334 battles
1 hour ago, Padds01 said:

Bit confused , so is there some sort of protection /limit against t8 MM for ark royal?  above the normal i mean

WG stated if you take tier 6 constantly, at least 25% you should be top-tier. 

What I mean is, by getting a few T8 you can't say if it is good or not. 

I got T5/6/7/8, but unlucky in other things. 

We'll see what gives in 50 games. 

My "motto"is sort of like: 'can I get 100k with it and how hard is that'. 

With Furious and Ranger, can do, and we'll see about Ark Royal.

[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles
19 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

WG stated if you take tier 6 constantly, at least 25% you should be top-tier. 

What I mean is, by getting a few T8 you can't say if it is good or not. 

I got T5/6/7/8, but unlucky in other things. 

We'll see what gives in 50 games. 

My "motto"is sort of like: 'can I get 100k with it and how hard is that'. 

With Furious and Ranger, can do, and we'll see about Ark Royal.

yeah i get that , and actually i didnt find it was that bad uptiered its just you said

3 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

T6CV with pleasing visuals, no T8MM

i thought you meant it had some protected special MM rules, like No t8 games . or was meant to/being tweaked. 

its all good you just meant the new MM change i think.

• Cool 1

Players
3,220 posts
On 9/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, Procrastes said:

I would be quite happy with this as long as he kept her awesome secondaries, but I still believe Kaga and Saipan need to come down to t7, but as we all know, WG never listens to us

[BBMM]
Players
5,773 posts
7,334 battles
3 hours ago, Padds01 said:

its all good you just meant the new MM change i think.

Yes indeed. It does well enough in T9 too... ( I know...should not fail-division... but hey we haven't got T7 CV) :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

1316999312_ART9-3.thumb.jpg.73d4c1681f07240db40f0fad86edd040.jpg987365409_ART9-2.thumb.jpg.2e7d3fe744714404b6c47cfefbde1d27.jpg1595416165_ART9-1.thumb.jpg.b47d77b24b105efd3d1eeaa05cdd1f23.jpg

Meanwhile, the things where Ark Royal is different from Furious are becoming more clear.

It is slow as F..., and can be spotted from the moon. CE definately recommended.

Also, rockets vs DD are more effective - in Furious I get 2K, in AR usually more than 3.5K damage in one "shot".

Bombs are however kinda meh. The aiming circle is even wider than a Currywurst. It is much shorter though.

Means that with a DD you do not have to line up - doesn't matter what direction you come from. But Furious will hit a DD harder if you do. 

Also, planes are definately less agile than they are in Hermes. 

Most important: Due to the large squads you CAN hit targets that Furious would never reach. 

Like T9 cruisers... :Smile_playing::Smile_veryhappy:

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

Its okay. Certainly having more fun with it than the other T6 CV's so far, but yeh, its "okay". Nothing to be exited about.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,005 battles

I like it

The rockets are great against dds

3 torp hits net around 10k and with the large squad you can get 2 drops off

The dbs are meh for damage but you nearly always get a fire or 2

The slow planes wreck the stealth dds due to you get longer to aim and launch attacks on them

The planes are weak as hell but respawn fast so even on a heavy plane loss game you still have strike potential at end game

I would say its a poor mans enterprise and kaga child

• Cool 1