Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Neptune Problems

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,131 battles

So, I'm almost done with the neptune. Frankly I really don't like her, she is fat, slow, spotted from too far away and her gun angles and her citadel do not go well together. I'm pretty sure I do better in the tier 8.

 

On top of all of this since she has been released 2 hard counter premium super cruisers are now in the matchmaker right up against her. Namely the Alaska and the Kronshtadt, that just eat her in a single bite. On top of this, her smoke firing penalty came into play and it is again larger than one would hope.

 

Her playstyle is very difficult because you have to rely on your teammates to spot not only your targets but radar threats and hold the flank you pick. (Since you have little chance of escaping if your flank folds). Most of your targets tend to sit well beyond safe range with their much more capable guns. As for her role, it is far better filled by a kita that has the speed and concealment to position properly. 

 

This is before I mention CVs, spotting you getting into position and harrying you out of smoke.

 

This is what I think of the situation, how about yourselves? Do you also think she is troublesome Or have you mastered tactics to keep her competitive?

 

Edit* Added stats in Neptune and Edinburgh.

 

Nep 54 battles 72.55% wr  1985 PR  avg damage 64k

Edy  45 battles 60% wr  2047 PR  avg damage 65k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,655 battles

When I first got her after the Leander, Fiji and Edinburgh she was a rude shock. I hated her as my kids would say. I found her just as you describe.

To be honest I find T9 hard anyway, didn't like Seattle, Buffalo or Jutland either... Just that Neptune was my 1st T9...

I free XPed through a fair bit of her grind and found the (smoke) Minotaur worth it.

 

However, a month or so ago I re-acquired her, and after in-excess of 400 battles in Minotaur (and several thousand other battles,) I actually found Neptune fairly easy to use and "nice" to play. Even with a low ranked new Captain obtained with her

Fast guns, good AA when focus applied, great torpedoes...

 

Play her like a US CL rather than like the more stealthy RN CLs immediately preceding her and you might do better.

Try to use the cover of the islands, not just the stealthiness of your ship , play attention to the mini-map more, you will be hunted more... You will be seen as "free XP" to the reds - hide, ambush, use overwhelming DPM to overcome. (Not that any RN CL has a high gun Alpha!) 

 

Just my 2p worth...

 

(She is still FAR from my favourite RN ship!)

Edited by Cambera_1
Clarity of text
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,131 battles

I do avoid open water if I can, after a season of CBs in a cleveland I think my island hugging is pretty good and I'm very used to putting down smoke in a way that lets me scoot behind an  island if and when I need to gtfo. 

 

I do manage to get some use out of the torps, but usually things aren't going great when they come into play. I decided to skip the upgraded ones as well, are they really worth 20k exp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,655 battles
9 minutes ago, Thracen said:

I decided to skip the upgraded ones as well, are they really worth 20k exp?

I don't think so! Not the first time through anyway...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,655 battles
33 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Nep 54 battles 72.55% wr  1985 PR  avg damage 64k

Edy  45 battles 60% wr  2047 PR  avg damage 65k

I shall shut up now - you are making her work far better than I did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,131 battles

Don't pay attention to the wr, I'm sure I just lucked out. Still I think 64k is pretty low avg damage for a t9 cruiser. I don't even think much of that is dds either where the damage matters more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-LA-]
Players
662 posts
4,789 battles

i assumed they made it that bad as a free xp sink , think i got 50k through it and just couldnt stand taking that stinking pile out again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GW_KR]
Players
215 posts
12,000 battles
3 hours ago, Thracen said:

So, I'm almost done with the neptune. Frankly I really don't like her, she is fat, slow, spotted from too far away and her gun angles and her citadel do not go well together. I'm pretty sure I do better in the tier 8.

 

On top of all of this since she has been released 2 hard counter premium super cruisers are now in the matchmaker right up against her. Namely the Alaska and the Kronshtadt, that just eat her in a single bite. On top of this, her smoke firing penalty came into play and it is again larger than one would hope.

 

Her playstyle is very difficult because you have to rely on your teammates to spot not only your targets but radar threats and hold the flank you pick. (Since you have little chance of escaping if your flank folds). Most of your targets tend to sit well beyond safe range with their much more capable guns. As for her role, it is far better filled by a kita that has the speed and concealment to position properly. 

 

This is before I mention CVs, spotting you getting into position and harrying you out of smoke.

 

This is what I think of the situation, how about yourselves? Do you also think she is troublesome Or have you mastered tactics to keep her competitive?

 

Edit* Added stats in Neptune and Edinburgh.

 

Nep 54 battles 72.55% wr  1985 PR  avg damage 64k

Edy  45 battles 60% wr  2047 PR  avg damage 65k

Well I was going to tell you my side as I quite enjoy this ship. But then I got cold feet from your win rate!😬😂

I just find that playing her very, very carefully as a 2:nd line backup and ambush ship pays off. Sadly I often get too agressive!!! Then it is a quick, quick death!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,131 battles

I find that's actually quite useful advice, playing her as an ambush ship makes sense. I think my problem is I feel a lot of pressure to get shooting early as the minutes tick by. That said patience is not my strong suit! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,773 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Neptune is a goddess of the seas, how dare thee tarnish her proud name :P

A chonky goddess too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×