You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GulvkluderGuld

Glorious Ramming mechanics (aka bugged as F)

17 comments in this topic

Players
2,878 posts
16,262 battles

Short (few minutes) replay in which my Sovietsky Suyuz pushes around an enemy Suyuz with none of us taking any damage at all for a long time.

Ends with me earning a Die Hard despite having no flag and the ramming ships being exactly the same. (damage finally starts to apply slowly when i push him backwards at about 10 knots).

Wish i knew how to make it a youtube video for easy viewing, but maybe someone can help?

We were promised a ramming bug fix way back before 0.8.0. Can understand why CVs take priority, but seriously this is no minor bug when ramming does NO DAMAGE at all to the ramming ships.

Any news on a fix?

@MrConway

@Tuccy

20190916_194555_PRSB109-Sovetsky-Soyuz_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,083 posts
7,160 battles
1 minute ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I know. But not talking "low damage" here - I'm talking literally NO damage.

Since WG decided that Wargaming Centre users cannot open replays (or I haven't activated some sekrit setting somewhere), I can't really see for myself. Though, if you are nudging each other at roughly identical speeds, I guess that the damage will be too low to register (aka the game rounds the actual number down to zero).

Players
6,301 posts
10,524 battles
27 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Wish i knew how to make it a youtube video for easy viewing, but maybe someone can help?

Download OBS Studio (its free), then start recording and watch the replay in wows. Or start recording at that point of the replay, that you want to record.

16 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I know. But not talking "low damage" here - I'm talking literally NO damage.

Not the first time I see/hear weird ramming results when russian BBs are involved - its always russian BBs. There seems to be something wrong. Was it bow vs. bow?

Players
9,813 posts
11,484 battles
16 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Since WG decided that Wargaming Centre users cannot open replays (or I haven't activated some sekrit setting somewhere), I can't really see for myself. Though, if you are nudging each other at roughly identical speeds, I guess that the damage will be too low to register (aka the game rounds the actual number down to zero).

Game by default tries to run in x64 mode, so try launching replay with x64 client in WoWs/bin64

• Cool 2

Players
1,956 posts
6,559 battles
57 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Short (few minutes) replay in which my Sovietsky Suyuz pushes around an enemy Suyuz with none of us taking any damage at all for a long time.

Ends with me earning a Die Hard despite having no flag and the ramming ships being exactly the same. (damage finally starts to apply slowly when i push him backwards at about 10 knots).

Watched the replay - you started the "ram" at only 5.6kts and the enemy was moving away from you so you didn't ram the other ship, you just "rubbed" it at slow speed i.e. you slowly lost health points as you "rubbed" and he lost his health points faster than you as you started to heal during the "rub" which is why you "won" - and yes you did lose health slowly at first contact rising to over 200 health points per second of contact at the end.

All of that is normal behaviour and has been for a very long time (3+ years) - For an "all points gone instantly" ram you need a closing speed (your speed + his speed) of greater than 5kts so if you're both doing 10kts into each other that equals 20kts closing so instant ram kill whilst you doing 14kts and him running away at -10kts = a "rub" as you only hit him at 4kts so no instant kill.

Hope that helps - here's the wiki page about ramming - https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ramming

Remember, Total HP Pool is your maximum HP, not your current HP

• Ramming below 5 knots results in minor damage
  • Ramming above 5 knots results in major damage
    • Ramming damage dealt to the other ship equals your ships total HP pool
  • Received ramming damage of at least 10% of your ships total HP pool will result in flooding
  • Cool 1

Players
1,956 posts
6,559 battles
29 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Download the Replay, select Open With and then choose this file from your WOWS folder (where ever it is) -

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4b0cb0ebe68b44df60b7be1dd9deb1cc.jpg

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,731 battles
20 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

Download the Replay, select Open With and then choose this file from your WOWS folder (where ever it is) -

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4b0cb0ebe68b44df60b7be1dd9deb1cc.jpg

Or just 'drag and drop' the replay file onto the exe.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

No need to argue about, guys, ramming IT IS BUGGED. Period.

Watch this, happen to me couple months ago.

1.22 on clip : full speed ram, over 24kn my NC, probably a combined speed of over 40 kn !|

1.24, after shock, my speed drops at 12  then short at 5-7...

Watch with attention.

Is bugged.

ZERO DAMAGE.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
2,088 posts
21,019 battles
1 hour ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Move the replay into your replay folder and open it from there.

Yesterday I tried to open one of mine after copying it to another folder and it didn't work, had to press 'Enter' for log-in and got the infinite loading circle. Moved it back to the replay folder, it opened without log-in and the replay worked.

Edit: OP's replay works outside of the replay folder, now I'm confused.

Edited by Ze_Reckless

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
9 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Move the replay into your replay folder and open it from there.

Yesterday I tried to open one of mine after copying it to another folder and it didn't work, had to press 'Enter' for log-in and got the infinite loading circle. Moved it back to the replay folder, it opened without log-in and the replay worked.

Edit: OP's replay works outside of the replay folder, now I'm confused.

Lol, no need for all that magic mate !

Is far easier this:

1 - right click on reply file

2 - on menu, choose " Open with...."

3 - On the list of programs search for WoWs.

Now you just created the file association, and all the replay files will automatically open, now and on the future, no matter where are placed.

Attention, you must have the game client closed, in order to start the replay.

This is for Win 10, an OS I assume you use.

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,083 posts
7,160 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Game by default tries to run in x64 mode, so try launching replay with x64 client in WoWs/bin64

That fixed it, thanks!

The file association (obviously) did not update when the game received the x64 upgrade so that was the issue.

54 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Watch with attention.

Is bugged.

ZERO DAMAGE.

To be quite honest, it is more likely that the server had a hiccup (the battle wouldn't happen to take place back when EU had massive server issues?) or that the Sinop has a bugged armour scheme/hitbox than an entire mechanic (that works fine in roughly all situations) to be bugged. 

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
3 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

That fixed it, thanks!

The file association (obviously) did not update when the game received the x64 upgrade so that was the issue.

To be quite honest, it is more likely that the server had a hiccup (the battle wouldn't happen to take place back when EU had massive server issues?) or that the Sinop has a bugged armour scheme/hitbox than an entire mechanic (that works fine in roughly all situations) to be bugged. 

I submitted a ticked back then, the answer was something about bugs on russian bbs armor affecting the ramming at certain angles. In Op.s I do ram some dds bots, ( waiting to reload my bb guns...) and I sometimes noticed a simple soft touch explode them , sometimes they just bounce back like a tennis ball.

Players
2,878 posts
16,262 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Download OBS Studio (its free), then start recording and watch the replay in wows. Or start recording at that point of the replay, that you want to record.

Not the first time I see/hear weird ramming results when russian BBs are involved - its always russian BBs. There seems to be something wrong. Was it bow vs. bow?

Thanks - that works wonderfully. Video up above :)

1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

Watched the replay - you started the "ram" at only 5.6kts and the enemy was moving away from you so you didn't ram the other ship, you just "rubbed" it at slow speed i.e. you slowly lost health points as you "rubbed" and he lost his health points faster than you as you started to heal during the "rub" which is why you "won" - and yes you did lose health slowly at first contact rising to over 200 health points per second of contact at the end.

All of that is normal behaviour and has been for a very long time (3+ years) - For an "all points gone instantly" ram you need a closing speed (your speed + his speed) of greater than 5kts so if you're both doing 10kts into each other that equals 20kts closing so instant ram kill whilst you doing 14kts and him running away at -10kts = a "rub" as you only hit him at 4kts so no instant kill.

Didnt notice losing hp while "rubbing" - there is a fire going at the same time, so I'm still not sure the rubbing actually does any damage (before the heal kicks in).

As to ramming working this way since lauch - no, it has not. Even rubbing another ship just a tiny bit used to get you killed immediately. 

If you dont think ramming is bugged, here's a litte video of what i mean:

• Cool 2

Players
1,956 posts
6,559 battles

I know that ramming is bugged in some cases, only in your case it worked as advertised. Also your fire went out just before the rub started (like 1 sec before) so that loss of HP is just from the rubbing. 

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,936 battles

We do know about nose tip to tip contact to have some issues.

At your video it looks like you are not ramming him, but rubbing as described above.