You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TrangleC

need some advise on whether I should keep grinding Japanese BBs

118 comments in this topic

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

Hi.

I'm kind of new to the game and kind of not.

I started playing it for the first time a long time ago, back in the days when there were still only 2 factions, Americans and Japanese.

But I haven't played many matches and am still a noob, because I always lose interest in the game after a few matches and uninstall it, only to let some Youtuber entice me into giving it another try years later.

So although my account is technically old, my highest tier ship is a fully upgraded Kongo.

Those 165 battles I played, according to my profile, are something like 20 every 2 years or so. I had to relearn everything from the ground up every time.

Back when I chose the Japanese BB line to be the first one to grind, there wasn't much choice, but even if I would have started recently, I probably would have chosen that line first too, because I just find the Japanese BBs to be the most "sexy", if you will.

The problem is, their play style isn't necessarily my thing.

Long range sniping isn't my preferred style of playing. I'm more of a brawler and even though I know the Kongo isn't well suited for it, I often end up in short range knife fights and chasing destroyers out of smoke screens and so on.

So maybe I should rather play German BBs instead, but I just don't find them as appealing in general.

The idea of having even less reliable guns than on the Kongo and having to rely on secondaries and torpedoes to do most of my damage in a BB, doesn't sit well with me.

I want to aim at things, shoot and hit hard.

Since apparently you can see people's stats here in the forum, if you check, you'll surely see that my stats must suck [edited].

I don't actually know them myself, but I can imagine.

That is why I am creating this thread in the first place.

I don't like playing the Kongo.

Pretty much all of the old review videos I saw on Youtube, said it is a great low tier BB, a highlight even, with apparently pretty accurate guns.

I didn't find that at all.

Either it was nerfed since those old reviews, or I'm really extremely unlucky, because I basically never hit more than 2 shots out of any salvo and one of those two does no damage, every single, effin' time.

I know what you will think, that I just don't know how to shoot and the suspicion is obvious, but believe it or not (I can provide video footage, if you want.) I actually have developed a pretty decent feeling/instinct for how to aim the guns and how to lead moving targets, especially for how little experience I still have.

It is rare that I outright miss a target, even at long ranges.

Even when I shoot at turning targets at the edge of my gun's max range, my salvo usually hits around where I wanted it to hit.

Emphasis on the word "around".

That is the issue. The salvos always spread over pretty much half the horizon and as I said, more than 2 out of the 8 shots, basically never hit.

I produce a lot of white splashing around the target, but not much damage.

That one hit per salvo does 1000 to 3000 damage. Citadels are super rare. 

It is so frustrating to wait 30 seconds for the guns to reload and for the turrets to turn on to the target and then another 5+ seconds for the salvo to land, only to do 1000 measly damage every time.

Of course that is also no way to get kills, when you chip away at other ships, 1000 to 3000 damage per salvo every 40 seconds or so.

Playing the Kongo feels like trying to chop down a tree with a tea spoon.

That is why I know my stats must suck, even without looking at them.

I chatted with other players in game who told me they hate the ship too, for that reason, so I at least don't seem to be totally alone.

What worries me is that stats-wise the Kongo isn't so bad. With that 7% improvement equipment, I got the maximum dispersion down to 220, which ought to be pretty decent.

If I can't hit more than 2 out of 8 shots with that dispersion, then how can I ever expect it to get better?

I heard that horizontal dispersion isn't everything and that there is also vertical dispersion, which is one of those hidden stats that annoyingly don't get listed (like Ground Pressure in WOT) and there are ships who have unimpressive horizontal dispersion but still shoot surprisingly accurate because they have low vertical dispersion.

So, long story short, does it make sense to keep on playing that line?

Does it get better, more accurate, or is the ugly truth that someone who isn't happy with the way the Kongo's guns behave, also won't like the higher tier ships?

If so, which other line should I play then?

I heard the American BB are the most accurate, but their dispersion stats don't look much better than the Japanese ones and I have to say, I don't find them as interesting and appealing as the Japanese ones either.

[THESO]
Players
1,119 posts
15,198 battles

American BBs are not more accurate, rather the contrary. They are more accurate at close ranges, while japanese BBs are more accurate at long range.

The info you give on your play style is a bit thin. It might well be any other BB line is less attractive to you.

German BBs are good for brawling, but then again it needs a lot of experience to know where to push and when. Unexperienced players usually stay too far back and achieve nothing or go in too hard and get focussed down early.

USN-BBs are good for brawling too, but more maingun-oriented. Until high-tiers they are painfully slow, which is not real fun.

Royal Navy BBs are HE-spammer. So they are not helpful, learning to play BBs the right way. You will end up shooting HE most of the time and not pay attention to enemies making mistakes.

French BBs are usally pretty fast, but not as durable. They are good for fast flanking and ambushes. They can be pretty nice, if a player knows how to angle.

Finally the russian BBs are pretty new. As such they are still overperforming. They most of the time are played nose in, as their bow armor is very solid, not so much their sides. So a player should at least know how to cover his sides or not overextend. The guns are ridiculously accurate. That is a good thing as your aiming is probably not trained well, so a ship that gives you a precise feedback on where you hit, will help learning to aim, althoguh unfortunately at the cost of missing a lot of salvos completely when starting to learn.

Personally I like the french BBs most as I am impatient. I hat ships that are out of the battle too long or take a long time to reposition. The french BBs are generally fast and later get a speed boost, which ensures you are where the action is. Their calibers are rather small and you will at times struggle to penetrate other BBs. Every ship has its up- and downsides.

What ever your next project is, don't push yourself too hard. Don't force yourself into climbing the tiers too fast. The game will allow you to progress through the tiers rather quickly, but that will be a frustrating experience as other players will "outsmart" you. Keep it at a comfortable pace and, keep watching the youtube-videos to master the more complex mechanics before you need them. Good luck.

• Cool 1

[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,619 battles

First thingh first, if you don't enjoy it why play it, the game shall be fun andd entertaining. If it fails with it you probably will leave it once more and we all like new players, specially the ones being active on the forum and want to improve together with the community. 

So my suggestion to you is to drop the Kongo for now and try something else to see if they are any more appealing, or maybe ut is the game which is not what you expect it to be and you don't find enjoyment in this type of gameplay. 

You decided to return at a great time though, the new russian battleships have good armor (when angled), accurate guns (sub 12 km) and decent AA. If I where you I would try to get to Russian T5 Pyotr and see if that is what you are looking for in a battleship. If not, why not try some other class of ships and see if they give you the enjoyment you are seeking?

When you have found the enjoyment, try to return to the Kongo again and see if it still is a garbage ship or not. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles

I'm not a BB meister by any means, but I may be able to provide some general pointers.

33 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

Even when I shoot at turning targets at the edge of my gun's max range, my salvo usually hits around where I wanted it to hit.

You're engaging from too far away, if you want to hit reliably and regularly fire at maximum range; IJN BB guns are fairly accurate, but only by the standards of BBs - the ludicrous power of their guns is usually balanced by woeful accuracy - proper BB players will be able to provide better advice, but non-brawling BBs tend to be better at medium range. I'm usually shot at by BBs, rather than shooting with them, but I have no fear of a 'sniping' BB at long range - he is simply not going to hit me with much.

165 battles, even in one block, is really not that many; when you consider the various upheavals to the game, you're basically effectively a newcomer. With that in mind, I would suggest playing as if you were an actual newbie i.e. play as many classes and nations as possible, up to T4 - this'll give you a handle on where the game is now, as opposed to when you first started, and allow you to asses which classes you actually get on with. By limiting yourself to T4, you'll have a more gentle reintroduction to the game, facing only +1 tier opposition at worst, and not have to worry about radar whilst you're knocking the rust off.

In terms of actual lines to pick, none of the BBs are that accurate; if you want decent accuracy, then maybe some of the Russian 'railgun' lines might be worth a look (so cruisers, and dakka DDs)? In general, all smaller ships/guns tend to have better accuracy than BBs, but in some cases you have to deal with 'rainbow' fire arcs which can be harder to manage (US DDs and cruisers being notorious for this).

• Cool 1

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

Thanks for the replies and the advise.

Yes, I did try to branch out a bit, to see whether other types of ships might be less frustrating, but unfortunately that didn't work out too well yet.

I tried playing Japanese cruisers and in general, I find the quicker reload and the maneuverability nice, but the meta ruined it for me.

I thought the best thing I can do as a cruiser, especially a fast, light cruiser, as the Japanese tier 4 is, would be to support the destroyers. Accompany them to the cap circles and help them fight enemy destroyers. So that was what I kept trying, but the result in every single battle was the same.

One or both of the higher tier carriers in the enemy team singled me out as the juiciest target and I was down to 10% of my health before I even saw the first enemy destroyer, in every single battle.

When I complained about that in chat, I was told I'm just doing it wrong. I need to stay with the bulk of the team.

So in essence it is the same garbage that is (or was, when I still played that game) ruining World Of Tanks.

There it is artillery that is punishing everybody who is trying to do their job and forces people to camp and snipe, while the devs claim it is doing the opposite, in WoWS it is CVs that do the same thing.

Whether I snipe or brawl, I don't play a game like this to hide behind my team mates and huddle together like a bunch of scared sheep in every battle.

If CVs force you to play cruisers like that, then cruisers are not for me.

I heard German cruisers have good AA and I find them more interesting than the German BBs, but I heard they are finicky with their ammo and you need to be very good with knowing when to shoot what ammo when you play them and for that my knowledge of all the different ships in the game is definitely not good enough.

That with the Russian BBs sounds very familiar.

That is what those Russian game developers always do. They make the Russian stuff OP and then they slap some token weaknesses on it, so they can claim it isn't OP because those weaknesses make it hard to play the Russian weapons.

That isn't just so with Russian tanks in WOT, but it is (or was, when I still played it) also like that with Russian fighters in Warthunder.

There Russian propeller fighters were totally OP UFOs that could do things no other fighter in the same tier could do, but they got fake, token weaknesses like that their engine overheated when you had it running on 100%. That really was just a token weakness, because those things were still OP when you ran the engine on 90% power, without overheating.

So this "weak side armor, you need to play them bow on"-thing sounds like such a typical token weakness they hide the OP-ness behind, to me.

As I said, I'm still a noob in this game, but I know that you pay for exposing your broadside in any ship in this game, so having side armor that is maybe a tad more vulnerable than the also vulnerable side armor on other ships, is a fake weakness, when it comes with a strength that allows you to be near untouchable as long as you play it a certain way, especially if it is a relatively simple, low skill play style like parking your ship bow on somewhere and then shooting away.

Even with my limited experience, I have seen people do that in Russian ships, so hearing that is what you do in them isn't surprising.

Yeah, maybe Russian BBs would be the best choice, but it is a choice I can't make.

In Warthunder and in WOT, I never allowed myself to morally sink low enough to exploit such game ruining nonsense.

I don't play OP stuff.

When bombers became OP in Warthunder, I stopped playing bombers.

When I figured out how OP Russian fighters are, I stopped playing Russian fighters.

And in WOT I refused to play artillery.

I am a grumpy [edited] who bitches and moans about things that are wrong in such games and I look down on players who are weak and lowly enough to play OP stuff, but I am not a hypocrite and I don't do what I judge others for.

[BODEM]
Players
741 posts
6,729 battles

I didn't want to respond as there seemed to be no reason, but curiousity got the better of me, as I want to know, why writing this long a thread if:

-you only play a few games a year;

-already kinda know the answer to playing the IJN BB line or not;

-aren't probably going to do anything with the info.

I think you don't need to go that deep into the game mechanics if you aren't really playing the game that regularly. i'd just go with what you think looks good, get enough experience in that and if you have like a few hundred more battles on your account playing regularly, then you should put more energy in checking out what's what exactly. And then you will prolly find that Kongo indeed IS as good as they say ;) 

From your experience in the T4 Cruiser Kuma, it seems you also still need much to learn about the game. It seems you indeed need to learn much about the game before you should worry about what nation/class combo suits you best. If you can't get the japanese to work though and you want to learn in solid ships, take any of the US lines. They are very avarage in their stats and abilities. And this time, keep on playing the game for at least a month on a regular base ;) Best way to learn.

[-LD-]
Players
196 posts
7,746 battles

This game rewards practice, so if you return to the game only to abandon it after a short while, it won't work no matter which line you play.

I also started with the IJN BB line a year ago, and I found them very colorful (i.e. loads of different characters), all higher tier IJN ships play differently. And because of their good guns mediocre armor, you both learn to aim and position --> hopping into any other BB line is easy.

If you do want to invest into the gameplay this time, I suggest to register for the PTS, there is is easy to try any ship you want to.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,768 battles

I tell you the same thing I tell all the "new" players.

Play all the T1s, then all the T2s and so on. You will learn alot and among that you will learn what works for you. 

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
9 hours ago, TrangleC said:

Hi.

I'm kind of new to the game and kind of not.

I started playing it for the first time a long time ago, back in the days when there were still only 2 factions, Americans and Japanese.

But I haven't played many matches and am still a noob, because I always lose interest in the game after a few matches and uninstall it, only to let some Youtuber entice me into giving it another try years later.

So although my account is technically old, my highest tier ship is a fully upgraded Kongo.

Those 165 battles I played, according to my profile, are something like 20 every 2 years or so. I had to relearn everything from the ground up every time.

Back when I chose the Japanese BB line to be the first one to grind, there wasn't much choice, but even if I would have started recently, I probably would have chosen that line first too, because I just find the Japanese BBs to be the most "sexy", if you will.

The problem is, their play style isn't necessarily my thing.

Long range sniping isn't my preferred style of playing. I'm more of a brawler and even though I know the Kongo isn't well suited for it, I often end up in short range knife fights and chasing destroyers out of smoke screens and so on.

So maybe I should rather play German BBs instead, but I just don't find them as appealing in general.

The idea of having even less reliable guns than on the Kongo and having to rely on secondaries and torpedoes to do most of my damage in a BB, doesn't sit well with me.

I want to aim at things, shoot and hit hard.

Since apparently you can see people's stats here in the forum, if you check, you'll surely see that my stats must suck [edited].

I don't actually know them myself, but I can imagine.

That is why I am creating this thread in the first place.

I don't like playing the Kongo.

Pretty much all of the old review videos I saw on Youtube, said it is a great low tier BB, a highlight even, with apparently pretty accurate guns.

I didn't find that at all.

Either it was nerfed since those old reviews, or I'm really extremely unlucky, because I basically never hit more than 2 shots out of any salvo and one of those two does no damage, every single, effin' time.

I know what you will think, that I just don't know how to shoot and the suspicion is obvious, but believe it or not (I can provide video footage, if you want.) I actually have developed a pretty decent feeling/instinct for how to aim the guns and how to lead moving targets, especially for how little experience I still have.

It is rare that I outright miss a target, even at long ranges.

Emphasis on the word "around".

That is the issue. The salvos always spread over pretty much half the horizon and as I said, more than 2 out of the 8 shots, basically never hit.

I produce a lot of white splashing around the target, but not much damage.

That one hit per salvo does 1000 to 3000 damage. Citadels are super rare. 

It is so frustrating to wait 30 seconds for the guns to reload and for the turrets to turn on to the target and then another 5+ seconds for the salvo to land, only to do 1000 measly damage every time.

Of course that is also no way to get kills, when you chip away at other ships, 1000 to 3000 damage per salvo every 40 seconds or so.

Playing the Kongo feels like trying to chop down a tree with a tea spoon.

That is why I know my stats must suck, even without looking at them.

I chatted with other players in game who told me they hate the ship too, for that reason, so I at least don't seem to be totally alone.

What worries me is that stats-wise the Kongo isn't so bad. With that 7% improvement equipment, I got the maximum dispersion down to 220, which ought to be pretty decent.

If I can't hit more than 2 out of 8 shots with that dispersion, then how can I ever expect it to get better?

I heard that horizontal dispersion isn't everything and that there is also vertical dispersion, which is one of those hidden stats that annoyingly don't get listed (like Ground Pressure in WOT) and there are ships who have unimpressive horizontal dispersion but still shoot surprisingly accurate because they have low vertical dispersion.

So, long story short, does it make sense to keep on playing that line?

Does it get better, more accurate, or is the ugly truth that someone who isn't happy with the way the Kongo's guns behave, also won't like the higher tier ships?

If so, which other line should I play then?

I heard the American BB are the most accurate, but their dispersion stats don't look much better than the Japanese ones and I have to say, I don't find them as interesting and appealing as the Japanese ones either.

Keep playing other lines and nations for a while. I struggled with Kongo at first, but that was my lack of experience. I put her down and came back later when I had more battle experience and now I see why she is called the mighty Kongo. Yes she has been powercrept a bit, but she is still a good ship. And fuso I could just make work for me and felt very comfortable. I'm on Nagato now, I need to pick her up again after not playing her for a while.

• Cool 1

Players
10 posts
3,996 battles

Suggestion from left field - play the German BB line for a while. You'll start to appreciate the mid-to-long range accuracy of the IJN BBs.

• Funny 1

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

@ FukushuNL:

Obviously I am drawn to the game, or I wouldn't try it again and again.

But the way things are going with the low tier Japanese BB is a constant source of frustration and disappointment.

Also, there seems to be a big discrepancy from what old review videos on Youtube say, to what I actually found in the game.

I think it is quite appropriate to seek some advise from other players under those circumstances and I don't see what makes you assume that I won't do anything with the answers I get.

See, I did grind through really shitty tanks in WOT to get to the good ones.

If you ever played that game, you know what names like the AMX40 and the Durchbruchswagen mean.

The difference is that everyone knew those tanks were crap and nobody said anything different.

Here in WOWS I am confronted with the weird situation that I feel like I'm playing a really shitty ship, which I could do and just bite and claw my way through it, like I did in WOT, if I knew that there is some light at the end of the tunnel, if I knew things get better in other tiers.

What worries me and makes me unsure whether there is light at the end of the tunnel, is all the glowing reviews for a ship I personally experienced as being bad. If this is one of the good ships, then what reason do I have to expect more from higher tiers?

That is the issue here, that is why I never could get into this game the same way I was into WOT and Warthunder for a while and that is why I opened this thread.

I got interesting and surely helpful answers, but a clear, committal "The Kongo is good and if you suck in it, you will suck in the higher tiers too.", or "Yeah, the Kongo has been nerfed since Jingles and others made their review videos all those years ago.", wasn't among them.

That I have moral reasons to not follow the "Play the OP Russian Bias stuff"-advise, doesn't mean I am resistant to advise in general.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
9 hours ago, TrangleC said:

I thought the best thing I can do as a cruiser, especially a fast, light cruiser, as the Japanese tier 4 is, would be to support the destroyers. Accompany them to the cap circles and help them fight enemy destroyers. So that was what I kept trying, but the result in every single battle was the same.

One or both of the higher tier carriers in the enemy team singled me out as the juiciest target and I was down to 10% of my health before I even saw the first enemy destroyer, in every single battle.

When I complained about that in chat, I was told I'm just doing it wrong. I need to stay with the bulk of the team.

Supporting the DDs is one of the key jobs of a cruiser, but it can be very hard to do well; one's playstyle sometimes needs to change drastically when CVs are present as well.

If you support your DDs, do so from further back than the DDs are (to avoid being the first thing that gets spotted) and try and keep hard cover - islands - between you and as many of the enemy big guns as possible (if a BB manages to hit your citadel, they may sink you with a single salvo).

Unless you're in a 'fail platoon', a T4 cruiser should only ever see T4 CVs (with the reework, odd-tier CVs were removed from the game); that said, the 'OP' IJN T4 CV is a bit of a meme at the moment, and IJN ships tend to have poor AA, especially at lower tiers (premium Yubari being an entertaining exception).

Bear in mind that almost all ships don't work terribly well as an 'army of one' - even in an AA monster, you should be aiming to stay vaguely in the vicinity of the rest of your team (or the group in your area). This doesn't mean being right on top of them, but rather being close enough that you can defend each other if the CV takes a serious interest in you.

The problem (or not) with CVs varies greatly with player competence: if you encounter one of the CV meisters (there are a few on here), you're basically Doomed, pretty much regardless; however, the bulk of CV players are pretty hopeless, especially at lower tiers, and those players you can do something about. If you have a fighter consumable, make use of it; learn about AA sector reinforcement (and map it to a key or mouse button that you can easily get at). Also, you don't necessarily have to be massacring planes to be useful against a CV - if you can stay alive and keep the CV focused on you for as long as possible, he's not attacking your team-mates, leaving them freer to get on with their jobs; whilst it's not as satisfying as Dev Striking some hapless berk, it's still contributing to the win.

Crucially though, if you want to fight back in a meaningful way against planes, most IJN ships at lower tiers are not the weapons of choice - US AA, for one, is a lot better.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
3 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

Also, there seems to be a big discrepancy from what old review videos on Youtube say, to what I actually found in the game.

The game has changed *a lot* even in the few years I've been playing; the most significant change was the CV reework about a year ago.

I would suggest focusing on newer videos/articles for information about ships, and *really* new ones for CVs/AA as that seems to change almost every week...!

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
6 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

Durchbruchswagen

Wash your mouth out, sir - that tank is glorious!

(Admittedly, you need to load 90% premium ammo, and stick a high skill crew in it, but still)

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

@ all:

Thanks for the further advise.

I suppose I'll branch out further, although I don't do it with much enthusiasm.

What draws me to this game the most are the big, bad battleships. I was obsessed with them as a kid. The very first serious book I ever got was "1000 years of war at sea" and I knew all the stats of all the big WW2 battleships before my first day in kindergarten.

The smaller ships just aren't as interesting.

So I guess you could say I'm kind of what people in the tabletop scene call a "Fluff Player", who is more interested in the "cool factor" and the story of the things he is playing, than in the game itself. I still don't want to be frustrated every time I push my left mouse button though, which is why I opened this thread. 

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,768 battles
8 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

Fair enough, but you'll need to play them so you learn how they work and how to defend against them and kill them in an efficient way. "Know your enemy!"

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
9 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

if I knew that there is some light at the end of the tunnel, if I knew things get better in other tiers.

There is light, *but* it requires the acquisition of the necessary skills/experience/captains; for example, the T5-6 IJN BBs really are very good (besides being BBs, which - of course - smell), but you do need to know how to play them (I'm still pretty awful in BBs and that's with 8.3K battles across various modes, but it isn't the fault of the ships).

One of the strong points of WOWS is that almost everything can damage almost everything else; you don't have the WOT situation where some things are effectively impervious to a noticeable chunk of the opposition. What this does mean though is that you have to take almost every ship on the opposing side seriously, and make more effort with positioning - if you over-extend for example, you will get focused down to metaphorical smoking boots in no time.

Captains are the other thing to be mindful of: a decent captain in a ship makes a substantial difference. The ten point skill CE gives a ship a huge edge on the same ship without it, as the former will always spot the latter first. FP on BBs especially can be hugely important - this skill makes it much harder to burn the ship that is it to the ground. BFT increases the dakka on smaller guns and AA, whilst SE adds extra hp; all things being equal, a ship with these will beat the same ship without.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are no mystic ships that will magically make you better/win more, but there are plenty of good ships that will reward you well if you take the time to acquire the necessary skills (and a decent captain to put in them). e.g. I hated Farragut (T6 US DD) the first time I played it, but when I came to it again on my alt account, I loved it - all that had changed was that my skill-set in US DDs was exponentially less bad (and I'm still pretty bad, so this isn't a case of needing to get to unicum standard, you just need to acquire a pretty basic set of skills).

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

@ Verblonde:

Yeah? I could have sworn I saw higher tier CVs in the tier 4 cruiser. Must be confusing it with some of the Kongo games, I guess.

Nevertheless, 4 CVs were definitely in every single cruiser game I played in the last days and as I said, staying close to the destroyers did not work out well for me.

Sticking to the bulk of the team just is hard for me, especially when I'm in a light cruiser that has 4 puny guns and seems to be more like a oversized destroyer without a smoke screen.

About the Durchbruchswagen: Back when I played WOT, that thing definitely was horrible. They knew that everyone wanted to have a Tiger 1, even if that tank isn't that great either, but it just is historically cool, so everybody gets one, which means they could put a real stinker in front of it, knowing people would grind through it and provide easy kills to everyone else. That is what they do and how they organize their tech trees to turn the game into what basically is a Pyramid Scheme.

You start as a victim and you keep grinding and paying in the hopes of becoming one of the victimizers.

I never used Gold Ammo beneath tier 7, I think. Another one of those stubborn "honor" things, I suppose. Also I'm stingy.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
11 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

What draws me to this game the most are the big, bad battleships.

You aren't alone - BBs are the most popular ships in the game after all.

In my view, they aren't that easy to play well though; it's not just a case of parking broadside to the enemy and watching them explode. One of the more useful things you can do as a BB enthusiast is to play the other classes too - that'll give you a good sense of what they're trying to do to your BBs, and how to stop them.

16 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

I think that's a bit unfair - many of the smaller ships have far more exciting/interesting/tragic histories than the BBs, mainly due to their being used for real a lot more.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,424 posts
13,375 battles
22 minutes ago, TrangleC said:

@ Verblonde:

Yeah? I could have sworn I saw higher tier CVs in the tier 4 cruiser. Must be confusing it with some of the Kongo games, I guess.

Nevertheless, 4 CVs were definitely in every single cruiser game I played in the last days and as I said, staying close to the destroyers did not work out well for me.

Sticking to the bulk of the team just is hard for me, especially when I'm in a light cruiser that has 4 puny guns and seems to be more like a oversized destroyer without a smoke screen.

About the Durchbruchswagen: Back when I played WOT, that thing definitely was horrible. They knew that everyone wanted to have a Tiger 1, even if that tank isn't that great either, but it just is historically cool, so everybody gets one, which means they could put a real stinker in front of it, knowing people would grind through it and provide easy kills to everyone else. That is what they do and how they organize their tech trees to turn the game into what basically is a Pyramid Scheme.

You start as a victim and you keep grinding and paying in the hopes of becoming one of the victimizers.

I never used Gold Ammo beneath tier 7, I think. Another one of those stubborn "honor" things, I suppose. Also I'm stingy.

(if you want to @ someone, you need to click on their name on the drop-down that appears below your text when you start typing their name e.g. @TrangleC (no space))

T4 ships only see up to T5 at worst; the only way to face T6 in a T4 is if you enter a division with a T5+ ship. I would strongly suggest that - unless you are a unicum - this is a bad idea.

I'm not surprised you've seen a lot of CVs though; because of the even-tiers only thing, people spend longer in each CV, plus - at the moment - T4 CVs are in a pretty good place vis-a-vis balance making them more popular with people who want to pad their stats, *and* most players they face are still pretty green, and are often in ships with poor AA. Incidentally, to counter this, there are also people having a lovely time loading up AA monsters (relatively speaking) to farm said T4 CVs...!

Full disclosure: since the reework almost all the ships I play in modes with CVs present tend to be those that can give planes a bloody nose, as this gives you more freedom to move around without getting blapped (although it obviously gimps you for surface to surface).

DBW is indeed awful for a newbie (again, I hated it the first time), but mainly because when you get to it the first time, you generally don't have the first idea what to do with it. Once you know how to angle, and how to aim, you can ruin a typical player at that tier's day! I re-bought it once I'd got the hang of the game with more sympathetic vehicles, and found it to be hilarious with a basic skill-set.

Your point about occasional 'stinkers' to encourage you to spend (on free xp conversion etc.) to get past them is valid, but is less of a problem in WOWS - true, here, stock ships are often pretty awful, but you have access to PvE which allows you to grind modules easily against weaker opponents and it's very easy to acquire free xp via one's better ships, to research the important modules on your stock ones. You also have Ops - if you like BBs, then T6-7 can be painlessly ground through via them (you can do it in other classes too, although DDs especially are often a bad choice, unless you are a unicum in them).

[CU]
Players
73 posts
260 battles

@ Verblonde: 

Good advise.

My communication has a big handicap though. Meaning, I think you guys naturally and understandably assume things about my play style, which I think isn't quite as bad as you think.

I really don't want to brag and I acknowledge that I still am a noob and will stay a noob for a while and have A LOT to learn still and need more practice, but I dare say I am not quite the bumbling idiot player that, as I said, you guys naturally assume I must be.

I definitely have a huge weakness when it comes to "reading the map" and knowing where I should go and why. Absolutely.

Strategy, with other words, is a huge issue for me and probably will remain so for quite some time to come.

But on a purely tactical level, I think despite my lack of experience, I actually get by.

Mostly thanks to having seen a lot of Youtube videos.

Not saying I'm good, but I'm really not lying or exaggerating when I say that I rarely miss with my salvos.

Also, I don't eat many torpedoes. There have been games where I have been in a one on one fight with a higher tier destroyer, whom I never saw, but who couldn't sink me because I was successfully dodging his torpedoes for two thirds of the battle.

Also, I'm not that afraid of torpedo bombers, actually. They rarely hit me. I accelerate to the best speed and turn towards them, when I see them coming for me and dodging their V-shaped torpedo swarms doesn't seem too hard, even when they do that cross-fire thing.

That is why I didn't mind CVs that much in the Kongo. They rarely did significant damage to me, even when they came at me hard. 

As soon as I played a fragile cruiser, which was vulnerable to rockets and bombs, which are a lot harder to dodge, especially while you are hiding behind an island, the power and influence of CVs on the game came crashing down on me like a ton of bricks.

I also know the difference between ammo types and when to use which, although I of course don't know all the armor values of all the ships. But I don't spam HE in a battleship. I rarely use HE at all in the Kongo.

The point being, I am not one of those guys who has absolutely no idea what he is doing and then blames the ship for it.

I absolutely get why you guys would assume that, but believe me, it isn't the case.

When I say, my shots land around the target, even at long ranges and I score at least 1 hit with pretty much every salvo I fire, I am not bragging or exaggerating. I could upload replays to Youtube to prove it.

Believe it or not, but I am able to be honest with myself and acknowledge when I make mistakes and see my shortcomings.

If I would just miss my shots all the time, I would see and realize and know that I am the problem and I need to get better at shooting.

My frustration though, comes from basically hitting 9 out of 10 salvos and still doing no damage.

My average game in the Kongo is me hitting 5 to 10 enemy ships with 20 salvos and going home with 11 000 damage done.

That is what drives me mad.

• Boring 1