SlightlyOff

How to get rid of extraneous files?

3 comments in this topic

Question

Players
149 posts

Hi,

I'm having this problem,

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/122684-general-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=3151124

and since nobody else seems to have it, I have decided to contact customer support about it.

They gave me their standard boilerplate yadda yadda yadda and want me to remove all extraneous files before they continue, even though the issue persists in safe mode.

The problem: The files won't go away.

They could basically only have resulted from the Aslain Mod Pack, which is the only mod pack I ever remember using.

I tried running the mod pack and unselecting all the mods individually. Then I tried using the Windows 7 uninstall function. The files are still there and it is a very extensive list, seems to be hundreds if not thousands of them.  Since I'm unable to open the .wgc file with a program that lets me copy their names and paths, and since there are so many files, I'm including a sample of three screenshots.

As you can see, WGcheck is complaining about all sorts of files, including screenshots I saved in the replays folder. But also a lot of dlls and all kinds of stuff that I would have thought were components of the game client.

The 0.8.7.1 subdirectory in the res_mods folder is empty and there are no other subdirectories. Instead, the extraneous files listed by WGcheck seem to be in the game's main folder and all manner of other directories.

How do I get rid of them without deleting every single one individually? Could this be a result of me using a Windows user account with no Administrator rights to play?

Extra1.jpg

Extra2.jpg

Extra3.jpg

• Cool 1

2 answers to this question

Players
149 posts

Update:

Customer service now thinks my problem is caused by this:

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/de/products/wows/article/10742/

Even though I am not experiencing crashes, and the guy said my graphics card was running out of memory, which I found a bit confusing since that isn't addressed in the above article which he linked up for me, and anyway my graphics card has its own RAM, and isn't a 1050 well above the minimum requirements ( NVIDIA GeForce GT 440/GT 630, IntelHD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7660) and even the recommended level of GPU power? ( GeForce GTX 660, AMD Radeon R9 270x)

In short, the procedure described didn't help and I have a very hard time believing that 25 years later, in a 64-bit Windows 7 environment, I still should have to futz around manually with virtual memory management like on an ancient DOS machine?!

• Cool 1

Players
324 posts

While not having the same video issues I too get the notification sounds while the game client is running, quite regularly. ...independent of having mods (WG's ModStation only) installed pr not - and no OS-side indications on graphics card's RAM being too low (while mostly >90%). 

On 9/16/2019 at 1:09 AM, SlightlyOff said:

Could this be a result of me using a Windows user account with no Administrator rights to play?

imo it would be borderline *cough* naive *cough* to require admin privileges to smoothly run a game (or any sw) on a machine that requires to be online to do so...

Reg. "boiler plates" ... while having legitimate use cases these often tend to consume more man-hours than they save when used to reply to detailed/'sophisticated' support requests. (Alternative: establish a protocol to escalate requests that cannot be solved by the current support level).

Sign in to follow this