Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AdrianTheImmortal

Most fun ships per tier, sept 2019?

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
24 posts
890 battles

Hyia,

 

I've just started playing the game and, so far, I'm impressed :) I have, however, decided to go for what seemed the most logical (powerful?) choice, unaware of WGs method: developed IJN's tech tree. Now, a little bit bored of Nagato / Furutaka / Mutsuki / Ryujo and after a short stint (up until Friant, heh) for the French cruisers, I'm finding myself wondering...what are the most fun to play ships, per type, premium (i plan to purchase something, maybe Tirpitz? Graf Spee?!) or not? It's pretty obvious to me that, if you advance in tier, the game doesn't get any easier and after switching from the somewhat funny Hosho to the 'meh' Ryujo and reading about all those buffs on the entire japanese line, i don't really know where to head...or what to purchase.

What'd be the funnies destroyer to play with? Std/Premium? Cruiser? BB?....maybe even CV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
100 posts
476 battles

Most, mindless, fun so far is the T2 USN Smith; no ap, no torps, no smoke, just HE but an insane reload.

Charge around at full speed spamming HE everywhere, 2 shells at a time......:cap_rambo:

A co-op game typically lasts 5 minutes or less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,682 posts
7,045 battles
29 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Most, mindless, fun so far is the T2 USN Smith; no ap, no torps, no smoke, just HE but an insane reload.

Charge around at full speed spamming HE everywhere, 2 shells at a time......:cap_rambo:

A co-op game typically lasts 5 minutes or less!

Tachibana is pretty similar. Put a 19 pt Akizuki captain on it and you just roflstomp the opposition most of the time, coop or not.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
547 posts
12,012 battles

<400 games and you're getting bored?

Perhaps this game isn't for you?

There are over 300 ships in this game and most of them are unique so there should be no problem finding ships. But with that number of games under your belt I'd say it's too soon for you to think in those lines.

 

Play another 400-500 games in other ships and then perhaps you'll know enough about yourself to pick what you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[S_D_M]
[S_D_M]
Players
649 posts
2,769 battles

What about  Lenin? It's is invincible if up front and you have all 3 turrets in the front and it looks like a whaling ship and has a great name. What more you could want? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
24 posts
890 battles
34 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

<400 games and you're getting bored?

Perhaps this game isn't for you?

There are over 300 ships in this game and most of them are unique so there should be no problem finding ships. But with that number of games under your belt I'd say it's too soon for you to think in those lines.

 

Play another 400-500 games in other ships and then perhaps you'll know enough about yourself to pick what you like.

 

Not necessarily bored, but looking to diversify a bit. Never knew the 150db/slot was a limited timed offer for which i should've gone a couple of days back...i figured the regular number of slots would suffice lol. And now, if im looking to expand, so to speak, I'd be willing to try a tier 6-8 "something else" (italian? French? idk, a special KM?) in terms of usage and specs.

 

@nambr9 indeed i found Kuma to be quite awesome, for some sort of reason. I'm seeing all those youtube videos/reviews of higher tier ships (smolensk and what not) and they're...well, making me a little bit envious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
547 posts
12,012 battles
43 minutes ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

 

Not necessarily bored, but looking to diversify a bit. Never knew the 150db/slot was a limited timed offer for which i should've gone a couple of days back...i figured the regular number of slots would suffice lol. And now, if im looking to expand, so to speak, I'd be willing to try a tier 6-8 "something else" (italian? French? idk, a special KM?) in terms of usage and specs.

 

@nambr9 indeed i found Kuma to be quite awesome, for some sort of reason. I'm seeing all those youtube videos/reviews of higher tier ships (smolensk and what not) and they're...well, making me a little bit envious.

Don't worry about the portslots. They will be on sale again. WoWs "birthday" are tomorrow so it wouldn't surprise me if something happens.

 

My advice is to play all T1s, then all T2s and so on. You will learn alot and find out what works for you. That's how I started and now I have played 314 ships and have 263 in port. That took me four years. If you really want "the whole deal" then you really have to look at the game in a perspective of years. And if you're going to spend years then you might as well spend a couple of months of doing research about what ships to buy.

 

GL&HF!

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
3,287 posts
8,450 battles
1 hour ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

i don't really know where to head...or what to purchase.

+1 to the previously expressed sentiment of not rushing; I would confine yourself to T4 maximum, at least initially and in PvP modes (so, mainly random at this stage). The initial aim is to learn the game, especially areas such as map awareness, being able to shoot, and how to make maximum use of the vision mechanics. T4 max as T5+ get +2 MM i.e. your T5 ship will often face T7 opposition. The other reason to play as widely as possible up to T4 is that it provides a good opportunity to get a sense of how the various classes play, and what sort of things you like, whilst doing so with ships that don't cost much in the way of silver and xp etc.

 

This isn't such a ghastly proposition as it may seem: although you don't get your hands on some of the more iconic ships until higher tiers, there are a lot of ships in the low tiers that are an absolute hoot to play. The main reason to progress beyond T4 is that you start to be able to do missions (most are T5+ at least) with valuable rewards, although while you're transitioning to the scarier tiers, many missions can be done in Coop mode, which is much easier (although a lousy way to learn to play more 'serious' modes).

 

My experience (YMMV) is that most classes up to and including T4 are fun, with only BBs being rather frustrating, due to often being horribly slow and wildly inaccurate.

 

All that said, the usual form on these occasions is for someone to ask about premiums etc. and for them to be told about not rushing, exercising patience etc. Needless to say, this advice is usually pretty much entirely ignored. When you do ignore us, don't feel too bad, as most of us did the same thing ourselves...! Some things to think about though:

  • Captains: besides MM getting harder from T5, you'll find that many of the opposition have good captains on their ships; this normally means at least 10 points (and with appropriate skills chosen). You'll suffer if you don't have tolerable captains too. Try and take the time to get 10 point captains (at least) for anything in the +2 MM bracket.
  • If you go mad and buy a high tier premium prematurely, you can always use it in Coop - with a basic consumable set, you'll still make reasonable amounts of silver whilst learning how the thing handles.
  • Try and wait for sales or other special offers - premiums are expensive, so try and buy reduced ones if possible. Also, focus on getting ships for coal (and free xp when you have enough spare) - they're essentially free.
  • With premiums, to get the most out of them, it's helpful if you enjoy playing them. A lot. For example, something like Arizona is a bad idea if you really dig DDs, and so on. It's also useful if you can use at least the first few premiums you get as trainers for your regular silver ships' captains. For example, MA is a great premium, but it's largely worthless as a trainer, as it calls for a secondary build, which the regular US BBs don't; Haida is similarly splendid, but can't train any regular captains (because there aren't any silver Commonwealth ships yet), and so on.

 

Slightly off-topic, but I would also suggest joining a clan (ideally one with people happy to teach) - if they have a reasonably built up clan base, you'll get some useful economic bonuses.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
24 posts
890 battles

I appreciate the replies, they're immensely helpful. I'm going to ho for the Russian cruiser line, hopefully that'll be fun :) Even tho i have an atrocious WR with cruisers, i found them rather funny - BB is a hit or miss, DD is, at least with IJN, a game of staying low and hitting your torps...cruiser seems like none of that heh :)

Plus i heard Smolensk is really the FUNNIEST :) albeit, indeed, i'm far from ready for MMin at tier X. I'll go by the lower tiers of all the nations and hunt for some port slots at a reduced rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,355 posts
6,621 battles
38 minutes ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

I appreciate the replies, they're immensely helpful. I'm going to ho for the Russian cruiser line, hopefully that'll be fun :) Even tho i have an atrocious WR with cruisers, i found them rather funny - BB is a hit or miss, DD is, at least with IJN, a game of staying low and hitting your torps...cruiser seems like none of that heh :)

Plus i heard Smolensk is really the FUNNIEST :) albeit, indeed, i'm far from ready for MMin at tier X. I'll go by the lower tiers of all the nations and hunt for some port slots at a reduced rate.

Just to add concerning DD's, you may find the german DD line interesting, theyr kinda the jack of all trades master of none of the DD world, they got good guns, good torps, good concealment, but arent specialised in any. :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
613 posts
6,737 battles

Has to be Fujin. You rock up in a game with that little puppy and you'll get slayed to high hell and back like I do LOL. I love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-SOG-]
Players
373 posts
6,531 battles

Since you are asking for most fun ships and many seems to suggest you shall progress slowly I would recommend you to try the following ships which I consider to be go-to ships when I need some fun after some high tier frustration (sometimes in coop, sometimes in random):

 

T2 - Umikaze

T3 - St. Louis 

T4 - Isokaze

T4 - Clemson

T4 - Orion

T5 - Pyotr Velk. 

T5 - Furutaka

T5 - Kirov

T5 - Königsberg

 

As you see there are many ships at different tier depending on your favourite class and style or mood, sometimes you just wanna do some torpedo jousting, sometimes you wanna tank and delete ships one salvo at a time and sonetimes you just wanna burn of some steam (literary burn with HE spam). 

 

I'm glad you are asking for advice and looking forward to duel you in one of these ships some day. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
2,107 posts
10,100 battles
5 hours ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

What'd be the funnies destroyer to play with? Std/Premium? Cruiser? BB?....maybe even CV?

The funniest destroyer is V-25, with it's front facing single torpedo tubes. But I think you would love Fubuki and Shiratsuyu, if you haven't played them. CVs have spoilt the sniping DD game somewhat, but you can still cause mayhem in those two. 

 

French cruisers are great, and I'm told the line ends with one of the best cruisers in the game (Henri IV), so persevere with those.  British ones, too, although they are a challenge. American destroyers are still excellent, and Royal Navy ones are great fun (although you need to be prepared for the Tier IX and X, with high-skill captains). 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
24 posts
890 battles

Your replies have been much appreciated, it's always nice to know that you can be part of a cool community, where people actually try to help you out - that's quite uncommon nowadays :)

I'll wait for them to come up with discounts on port slots, so not to waste my dbs, and in the meantime continue to develop the existing tiers. One change is that I'll probably play more Co-Op for sure - it kills my morale each time I get a new ship only to be dismantled in consecutive battles. And even then, my last battle with tier7 Nagato was a mere 10k out of 188 AP shells, and with a 9points captain...

 

off i go to google 'how to nagato' :P

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
24 posts
890 battles

Hi,

 

Maybe someone wanted to know how 'it went'? Well, it went...super nice lol and NOT boring. Even though my WR is still low, especially in BBs, my 'fun rate' is quite high. I've decided to get some two "under 1buck ships", mostly for slots and credits, but eventually kept T2 Tachibana Lima which is super fun; I also got the T6 T-61 after viewing multiple reviews, including Mouse's famous and historic one (apparently I had a 10points capitan from a SC in reserve, just waiting for this), which makes me pull matches such as this first one of the day: http://prntscr.com/pa51ac (it's only a defeat b/c i switched to late on the 122HP Aigle and went too long after a 5k HP CV :( - mistakes to learn from). This ship is fun! and haven't felt the buyers remorse either. Through, it was the DBs from a premium pack and with a 25% discount, but still - no remorse.

 

I'm in a clan...albeit a dead one, i get a 4% bonus and just saw how 'the engagement' works - I'll prolly search for an active clan with positions opened for potatoes later on.

 

I got Amagi and, after a long grind in CoOP for experience and then with other ships for coins, I managed to get its upgrades and now I'm working on adding the modules. This ship too is fun - same as Nagato and unlike Fuso and, especially, Kongo (Kongo being 'the ship i never got' - so praised, yet so so awful for me); I know how to angle, I'm starting to get the handle of when to HE/AP, I like my Mutsuki too, I'll go for the russian tech line now and...oh, I have no idea how to Cruiser! Furutaka is the ship I don't understand - I have no idea where I should be, what's my role, how to play it, when to push, what sort of damage to do. I guess I'll have to keep on reading...

 

Oh, and for the future, I want myself a Tirpitz or a Massachusetts :D

 

;tldr? No more boring, fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
785 posts
7 minutes ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

Hi,

 

Maybe someone wanted to know how 'it went'? Well, it went...super nice lol and NOT boring. Even though my WR is still low, especially in BBs, my 'fun rate' is quite high. I've decided to get some two "under 1buck ships", mostly for slots and credits, but eventually kept T2 Tachibana Lima which is super fun; I also got the T6 T-61 after viewing multiple reviews, including Mouse's famous and historic one (apparently I had a 10points capitan from a SC in reserve, just waiting for this), which makes me pull matches such as this first one of the day: http://prntscr.com/pa51ac (it's only a defeat b/c i switched to late on the 122HP Aigle and went too long after a 5k HP CV :( - mistakes to learn from). This ship is fun! and haven't felt the buyers remorse either. Through, it was the DBs from a premium pack and with a 25% discount, but still - no remorse.

 

I'm in a clan...albeit a dead one, i get a 4% bonus and just saw how 'the engagement' works - I'll prolly search for an active clan with positions opened for potatoes later on.

 

I got Amagi and, after a long grind in CoOP for experience and then with other ships for coins, I managed to get its upgrades and now I'm working on adding the modules. This ship too is fun - same as Nagato and unlike Fuso and, especially, Kongo (Kongo being 'the ship i never got' - so praised, yet so so awful for me); I know how to angle, I'm starting to get the handle of when to HE/AP, I like my Mutsuki too, I'll go for the russian tech line now and...oh, I have no idea how to Cruiser! Furutaka is the ship I don't understand - I have no idea where I should be, what's my role, how to play it, when to push, what sort of damage to do. I guess I'll have to keep on reading...

 

Oh, and for the future, I want myself a Tirpitz or a Massachusetts :D

 

;tldr? No more boring, fun!

Get the Massachusetts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
144 posts
6,951 battles
 

What a nice post! I can picture a dreamy-eyed new wows player while reading it! Sailing around in exciting new ships, full of hopes and dreams, having fun..

On 9/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, AdrianTheImmortal said:

Hyia,

... (i plan to purchase something, maybe Tirpitz? Graf Spee?!)...

From my limited experience with her, Tripitz is a bit harder to play Bismarck. And from memes about Tripitz and whatnot it seems new players do poorly in her. So I advise you to get Bismarck from the silver tree and if you enjoy the ship then go give your hard earned money for a Tripitz. Or just save all the free doubloons you get for year or so and get her with them. :D

 

Have fun!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,332 posts
9,146 battles
41 minutes ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

Furutaka is the ship I don't understand - I have no idea where I should be, what's my role, how to play it, when to push, what sort of damage to do. I guess I'll have to keep on reading...

 

kinda ancient when it comes to captain skills, but gameplay didn't changed. If anything, it improved due to getting "refit" with three twin turrets instead six singles as well multitude of buffs along the way. Also worth checking out other "how to", even if for the memes.

43 minutes ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

Oh, and for the future, I want myself a Tirpitz or a Massachusetts :D

Tirpitz is kinda outdated, Massa needs dedicated captain to make her shine. For "general purpose" US premium BB, you might be better served with Alabama.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GW_KR]
Players
108 posts
7,740 battles
On 9/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, AdrianTheImmortal said:

 

Not necessarily bored, but looking to diversify a bit. Never knew the 150db/slot was a limited timed offer for which i should've gone a couple of days back...i figured the regular number of slots would suffice lol. And now, if im looking to expand, so to speak, I'd be willing to try a tier 6-8 "something else" (italian? French? idk, a special KM?) in terms of usage and specs.

 

@nambr9 indeed i found Kuma to be quite awesome, for some sort of reason. I'm seeing all those youtube videos/reviews of higher tier ships (smolensk and what not) and they're...well, making me a little bit envious.

As previous speakers have stated, take it slow. In low tiers you have excellent opportunities to test various tech trees. They all play different. Ijn is fun up to Aoba and then becomes hard to play. You can get fantastic games in Aoba and Myoko, but they are demanding. KM is fun from Königsberg and up. Great kiters!

But at low tiers, yes the Kuma, but also RN. Caledon and Danae are very underrated, but play like larger dds. Zip in, torp and citadel. If you get caught you are dead. 😊

St. Luis is always a blast! The french t3 to t6 are excellent. 

All dds are fun to play in variuous ways. Dont rob yourself of the pleasure of torp an he spamming slow cubersome bbs. 

 

But the point is: dont rush. Take a moment. Test. Play. Enjoy. Learn and build your playstyle! I have 7 k battles now and I an beginning to get a hang of things. But there is the fun! When you have mastered the game it becomes boring. Wows is NEVER boring. Lots of other tvings yes, but not boring! And I wonder if anyone out there feels they have mastered all aspects of the game without room for further improvements?😊

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
76 posts
611 battles

I'm only new too and tbh I haven't ventured passed tier5, didn't and still don't see the point much yet tbh, certainly not until I get more experience of everything. 

 

I find playing the lower tiers fun so far, especially with the preferential MM preventing +2 tier battles, so there's plenty of variety and scope within tiers 2-4 and the battleships start at tier3. The only problem is that this pea brained company WG always find a way to take something fun and balance and ruin it, and at lower tiers, that would be the grief carriers that can just spam torp planes over and over with impunity against all these lower tier ships which lack decent enough AA to counter them but hey, better that a couple of guys have fun while the vast majority of the players in each battle not using carriers get to have a horribly toxic experience eh?, good job with that WG, clever business strategy to cater for a small minority instead of the large majority. Never doubt why there's several minute waiting periods to get a battle in this ailing game with a small and dwindling playerbase, and that's coming from a new player, so there's your feedback on a new players experience. 

 

I have found some really nice ships to play though that I enjoy to play more than others.

 

- T2 Jpn Umikaze. Fast, great camo and fast reloading torps with excellent 8km range.

- T2 P-A Longjiang. Same again, fast, great camo and fast reloading torps only this time with 8.5km range and a bigger bang. Only thing is, these torps are deep water which means they cannot hit a destroyer. Pros and cons with that btw, not just cons. If you have some destroyer teammates ahead of you or between your torp line to the enemy ship you can just shoot anyway without worrying that your torps will hit them, you can get some nice trick shots where you shoot underneath your teammates destroyer and hit the enemy cruiser the other side. This ship has excellent guns too so countering and defeating other destroyers is comfortable.

 

T-3 Jpn Tenryu. Very close on being a destroyer style of gameplay. It's fast, reasonably agile and has 2 triple torp launchers with a 7k range and good damage so you can create some nice walls of torps which are not the easiest to dodge with so many covering a large area for a slower ship. Guns are pretty strong too so it's a fun ship to play I would say, has different style options with that scope of guns, torp and speed combo. 

 

T-3 Brt Bellero"fun". Very fast for a BB at this tier and second best gun range which means you can both get about the map reasonably quickly and get shots at ranged targets that might be trying to kite you or escape along with catching a ship that's not paying attention to you and thinks you are too far away to worth factoring while they are preoccupied with a closer teammate or capping etc. Can be played strongly with HE since it has an outstandingly strong HE pen value and the damage is strong too, maybe the strongest for this tier? Anyway, for a BB it's pretty fun I would say, all ruined by carriers of course but not much what you can do about that apart from not playing .

 

T-5 Jpn Furutake. Nice strong guns that seem to bag citadel strikes easier than the US T5 cruiser I started playing recently.... it also has 10km range torps because why not. I've not actually got much return from the torps though so they're not as useful as might appear in terms of picking off long range targets especially since the time involved to get from my ship to the target ship at that sort of range is great and most likely the target is going to move or slow at some stage. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×