You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_GGHF_

SOLVED Game freezes for up to 20 seconds every few minutes, then catches up in time lapse.

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles

Hi all,

as the title says, I'm having an issue where the game will lock up (afaik randomly, never noticed a specific circumstance that would have caused it) and then after anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds resume to catch up in time-lapse (everything will happen fairly fast, any commands, such as rudder, that were held down at the moment of the freeze will stick until the time-lapse is finished.
I've been having this issue for maybe 3 months now. Usually, it just means I can't dodge a hit, but sometimes it gets me killed. Today it specifically cost my entire team the victory.

I've updated all drivers and all Windows updates. I don't see any latency spikes before/during/after the freeze.

I have no idea what's causing it or what to do about it, but it feels somewhat reminiscent of the freezes in port anytime you open a new menu (such as opening the armory, etc.).

Vsync is disabled, the game is in fullscreen, though the mode makes no difference.

I've attached a DxDiag.txt

EDIT: The hard drive was the culprit, reinstalling the game on another one fixed it. Apparently, the disk couldn't keep up with the demands in its old age.

Players
3,220 posts
11 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Sounds like it could be the result of an unstable internet connection.

Could very well be this, it has happened to me but also check your keyboard, I found I had keys sticking which caused exactly thew same problem, both in this game and the very same thing in WoT's, and that game is way more brutal than this one.

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles

It doesn't seem like my internet is unstable, as I'm not having any issues anywhere else at all. I'm running on a 600k with a very stable 37ms ping.

One of my clanmates with a similar issue said that in his case the internal GPU and the graphics card were at war and he got a freeze whenever WoWs switched over to the onboard GPU, and then back to the actual gfx card. I have no idea how to check if I'm having similar issues.

[POP]
Players
597 posts
11,678 battles
8 hours ago, _GGHF_ said:

It doesn't seem like my internet is unstable, as I'm not having any issues anywhere else at all. I'm running on a 600k with a very stable 37ms ping.

One of my clanmates with a similar issue said that in his case the internal GPU and the graphics card were at war and he got a freeze whenever WoWs switched over to the onboard GPU, and then back to the actual gfx card. I have no idea how to check if I'm having similar issues.

ctrl+alt+del -> task manager -> more options -> performance

Check if you can see spikes on any activity when the game lags.

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,958 battles

We assume that you are not downloading anything at the same time. You are not runing two windows at the same time, etc.

Then there is a chance that you have your settings strangly done.

I would recommend for testing purposes to go into power settings of you computer and change it to highest performance.

That will froce him to almost never use integrated graphic card.

If you have two dedicated graphic cards, just disconnect one and see what will happen.

Then obviously check the other one after test.

How old are your components and when you ran diagnostics of your graphic card?

[FLYD]
Players
1,355 posts
13,065 battles
9 hours ago, _GGHF_ said:

Does the game itself stop rendering or does the ship just stop the sea still gets rendered and everything else and then suddenly starts moving again?

If you have the described above it definitely is your Internet Conncetion sadly. There has been a massive load due to windows 10 updates in the backround lately , assuming you run windows 10 check if it had some updates. Also GPU does not work like that. If it gets into trouble rendering it will drop stuff and not freeze and not play catch up afterwards it will stop calculating stuff all together and you will see some bad errors.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles
3 hours ago, The_Reichtangle said:

Does the game itself stop rendering or does the ship just stop the sea still gets rendered and everything else and then suddenly starts moving again?

If you have the described above it definitely is your Internet Conncetion sadly. There has been a massive load due to windows 10 updates in the backround lately , assuming you run windows 10 check if it had some updates. Also GPU does not work like that. If it gets into trouble rendering it will drop stuff and not freeze and not play catch up afterwards it will stop calculating stuff all together and you will see some bad errors.

The game stops rendering, then catches up. There's no milling in place or anything (I would have recognized that as a latency issue). The entire game completely freezes for 5 to 20 seconds, then plays everything that happened during the freeze in time-lapse until it's caught up. The same happens with sound multiple times per round, but these audio freezes are typically less than 3 or 4 seconds and almost always coincide with the narrator's messages. Those and any gunshots then get played at the same time.

I can't remember right now what the sound does during graphical freezes, I'll pay attention to that once I get home from work in about 11 hours.

• Cool 2

Players
2 posts

I have the same problem, looks like an internet problem. Classic LAG. But theres no problem with the connection on my side. This problem started yesterday afternoon, maybe its connected with the pre download of 8.8 patch? 

[FLYD]
Players
1,355 posts
13,065 battles
31 minutes ago, _GGHF_ said:

The game stops rendering, then catches up. There's no milling in place or anything (I would have recognized that as a latency issue). The entire game completely freezes for 5 to 20 seconds, then plays everything that happened during the freeze in time-lapse until it's caught up. The same happens with sound multiple times per round, but these audio freezes are typically less than 3 or 4 seconds and almost always coincide with the narrator's messages. Those and any gunshots then get played at the same time.

I can't remember right now what the sound does during graphical freezes, I'll pay attention to that once I get home from work in about 11 hours.

Well it reads like a Internetissue.

I mean i know you can't do anything in the freeze up maybe try to tab out if it does Tab out it ususally doesn't concern your hardware or machine but try to monitor it via ressource monitor... you find that one in the task manager. Open it and take a look at it after a freeze

[BAD-A]
Players
640 posts
9,029 battles
1 hour ago, _GGHF_ said:

What Direct X are you running? And can you drop down to the x86 client and if so, does that help?  I had that sort of thing happen on my old laptop when on battery power (reduced power bla bla) but not when plugged in, so is your PSU up to snuff?

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

OP, you need to post your machine characteristics : RAM, GPU, OS, CPU, Board,  etc, before one can help you. If you update your post with this, I gladly try 2 help you.

I suggest to use AIDA64, a free utility who can make a report file of your machine, file you could upload here.

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles
10 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

OP, you need to post your machine characteristics : RAM, GPU, OS, CPU, Board,  etc, before one can help you. If you update your post with this, I gladly try 2 help you.

I suggest to use AIDA64, a free utility who can make a report file of your machine, file you could upload here.

It's all there in the first post. Has been since the moment I opened this thread.^^

10 hours ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

What Direct X are you running? And can you drop down to the x86 client and if so, does that help?  I had that sort of thing happen on my old laptop when on battery power (reduced power bla bla) but not when plugged in, so is your PSU up to snuff?

It should be. I'm on a desktop with no power savings option enabled and unless it's dying the PSU is more than strong enough. Since I'm having these issues exclusively with WoWs and no other game, I don't think it's related to the PSU (I did check the various power connections in the case and made sure no contact was loose).

11 hours ago, The_Reichtangle said:

Well it reads like a Internetissue.

I mean i know you can't do anything in the freeze up maybe try to tab out if it does Tab out it ususally doesn't concern your hardware or machine but try to monitor it via ressource monitor... you find that one in the task manager. Open it and take a look at it after a freeze

Unless there's a specific tracing path unique to WoWs that's introducing issues, I don't think it's my internet connection. When lagging you usually just stand still in place and cannot do anything, but the graphics don't freeze. Also, you just rubberband to the new locations, rather than time-lapse all the actions that took place during your time-out. In my case, the entire graphics are just stopped. Audio may or may not also be stopped. After up to 20 seconds everything resumes but plays at maybe 3 times normal speed until it's caught up. Looking at the task manager reveals nothing that clearly correlates. One time during one of the freezes, my disk was running at 100% (it rarely does that), but other times it did not. Nonetheless, I'll take the opportunity with 0.8.8 and reinstall the game on a different hard drive. Perhaps that'll fix it - the freezes would make sense if that's how long it takes the disks to load unloaded textures or something. I just cannot tell if there are specific circumstances that cause the freezing.

Players
1,142 posts
18,264 battles

After reading the DxDiag, my three options for the problems you're having are: HDD malfunction/overheating (those manufactured by Western Digital were prone to not being able to read during summer, although I'm talking about 20 to 30 years ago), which is the most probable one due to the presence of audio glitches too; GPU overheating, perhaps because of some dust that causes a fan not to work properly; and excessive power draw (which you discard in your last post, but it could well be the cause if the PSU has suffered some damage by spikes or blackouts, for example).

I agree it doesn't look like an internet issue just by the description of the symptoms, but just to be sure, when suffering one of those attacks can you move the camera around? Mainly because during a massive lag spike or a timeout and disconnection you can still do it, so if that's not possible then it further discards the option of an internet-related affair.

Salute.

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles
9 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

After reading the DxDiag, my three options for the problems you're having are: HDD malfunction/overheating (those manufactured by Western Digital were prone to not being able to read during summer, although I'm talking about 20 to 30 years ago), which is the most probable one due to the presence of audio glitches too; GPU overheating, perhaps because of some dust that causes a fan not to work properly; and excessive power draw (which you discard in your last post, but it could well be the cause if the PSU has suffered some damage by spikes or blackouts, for example).

I agree it doesn't look like an internet issue just by the description of the symptoms, but just to be sure, when suffering one of those attacks can you move the camera around? Mainly because during a massive lag spike or a timeout and disconnection you can still do it, so if that's not possible then it further discards the option of an internet-related affair.

Salute.

I'm keeping the PSU in mind, but it's really quite unlikely, whereas the disk is my primary suspect at the moment. I'm installing on another drive as we speak and will update the post with my findings tomorrow at the latest.

No, I cannot move the camera. While I can alt-tab and use any other software freely, the game is frozen solid. Audio never stutters, but sometimes also pauses to then catch up.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles
1 hour ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Salute.

And it seems that reinstalling the game on another disk has fixed it. I used to get the freeze multiple times per round, but not at all during this test run.

Players
1,072 posts
12,542 battles
19 minutes ago, _GGHF_ said:

And it seems that reinstalling the game on another disk has fixed it. I used to get the freeze multiple times per round, but not at all during this test run.

Congrats, guess my lag spike issue is something else considering my game is installed on a SSD M.2 Hard-drive, though my problem has the ping suddenly shoot up, and it is not the internet cause I have tried with the same PC on different Internet providers from different parts of the country...

[BAD-A]
Players
640 posts
9,029 battles
7 hours ago, _GGHF_ said:

Glad it's fixed!

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
11 hours ago, _GGHF_ said:

It's all there in the first post. Has been since the moment I opened this thread.^^

It should be. I'm on a desktop with no power savings option enabled and unless it's dying the PSU is more than strong enough. Since I'm having these issues exclusively with WoWs and no other game, I don't think it's related to the PSU (I did check the various power connections in the case and made sure no contact was loose).

Unless there's a specific tracing path unique to WoWs that's introducing issues, I don't think it's my internet connection. When lagging you usually just stand still in place and cannot do anything, but the graphics don't freeze. Also, you just rubberband to the new locations, rather than time-lapse all the actions that took place during your time-out. In my case, the entire graphics are just stopped. Audio may or may not also be stopped. After up to 20 seconds everything resumes but plays at maybe 3 times normal speed until it's caught up. Looking at the task manager reveals nothing that clearly correlates. One time during one of the freezes, my disk was running at 100% (it rarely does that), but other times it did not. Nonetheless, I'll take the opportunity with 0.8.8 and reinstall the game on a different hard drive. Perhaps that'll fix it - the freezes would make sense if that's how long it takes the disks to load unloaded textures or something. I just cannot tell if there are specific circumstances that cause the freezing.

Lol, man, you put a poor Dxdiag, that give only 1% of your machine specs !  I ask you to use AIdax64 cuz is a pro utility who give the specs on detailed level, not just 3 lines of text ! For ex. no data about your MOBO manufacture, or the RAM type , and no info at all about your GPU !

Also, I noticed your BIOS is very old, 2011 ?!  (BIOS Date: 07/13/11 )

Go to your MOBO support page (motherboard = MOBO) and search for BIOS upgrades. Names like Asus, ASROCK, MSI - normally they have 1-2 BIOS new versions each couple of years. A newer version of BIOS usually brings better thermal solutions ( less heat on your CPU) and better compatibilities with RAM and HD.s, and overall, a better / faster machine.

BUT, the fact the game run ok after you used another disk for it, make me sure to say you have a hard drive ready to die.

Use this : https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

" I used to get the freeze multiple times per round " - when you have disk sectors errors, or "relocated"  events, this is the common behavior.

Crystaldisk  will check all your HD and indicate what disk have problems. If you get warning signs with yellow or red, means you need to get a new HD before the broken one stops working.

Attention, if you have the SO on that disk you can have even boot problems later.

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,614 battles
9 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Congrats, guess my lag spike issue is something else considering my game is installed on a SSD M.2 Hard-drive, though my problem has the ping suddenly shoot up, and it is not the internet cause I have tried with the same PC on different Internet providers from different parts of the country...

I used to have some about a year ago. What I did was to a) check all power supply connectors in my PC to ensure that there isn't a power flux causing my netadapter any problems, and b) I plugged my router into a different power circuit to isolate it from the heavy draw of PC and other home devices. FInally, I had to change the power chord of the router, cause that had gone bad (was only about a year old at that point, but it happens).
If you have internet issues and you're sure it's not the actual internet tracing or connection, first check your personal power supplies.