You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MQ9

Trying to get better at DD's

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
5 posts
3,268 battles

Hi All,

Been playing this game on and of for the last couple years but on average this is my result:

shot-19_09.15_12_43.08-0593.jpg.46fdf43f908cda49607b82756610dadc.jpg

10 games, 8 losses. I know I am not the best wowser bu lately it is hard to get better results with any DD. Even though I try not to rush caps, I lose on points. Even if I try and cap, I get blabbed. 

So frustrations with the game aside; how does a DD captain handle a DD best?

[CATS]
Players
19,466 posts
12,239 battles
  • Do not rush caps mindlessly
  • Consider your ship
  • Consider potential enemy DD
  • Consider radar
  • Consider planes
  • Consider the position of friendlies
  • Consider the position of remaining enemies
  • Consider the map, especially islands
  • Cool 1

[GW_KR]
Players
109 posts
7,791 battles

You will get as many diffrent answers ss there will be people answering them. 

I am by no means a great dd player but a fair one. 

Rule nr 1: ( and I constantly break this one myself!!😕) don’t cap right away unless you KNOW it is safe to do so!! Almost always a surviving dd can cap in the second half of the game uncontested. 

Rule nr 2: spot and help your team. If they do damage you win. 

Rule nr 3: if you are not backed up, leave and go dark!!! Go to another flank. Do not get killed for teammates who think you are a sacrificial goat for their benefit!

Mainly stay alive during the first half of the game. The longer you live the more opportunities will present themselves for you to sieze!

These are main rules but the style changes depending on what dd you play. For kitakaze the above is very true!!! Wait for an opportunity and pounce on it!

• Cool 6

[NWP]
Players
6,271 posts
7,375 battles

Better upload some replays so we can have a looksy. Its pretty hard to give decent advice, since we can only guess the problem, so we can only give the usual advice.

If you can analyze your own mistakes, you can avoid making them in the future aswell. So sometimes it can help aswell to look at your own replays without the pressure of playing the game.

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,509 posts
3,027 battles

in the same boat as you mate. Trying to learn DD's.

Best advice I was given. Where ever you decide to go always have an escape plan, if you are spotted. And i have never taken out any DD at any tier unless I can mount at least a 10pt captain so I can have the CE skill. Concealment = survival in a DD.

• Cool 8

[UNICS]
Players
3,645 posts
14,329 battles

Don't open fire unless you're sure you'll outtrade the opponent. If you lose more health than the enemy dd, just end the engagement without firing and get away until you got the advantage. Either by having better support, smoke ready or better positioning.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,570 posts
8,062 battles

want to improve your winrate? quite simple - stop playing top tier for now. At a glance, it looks like you're currently right at home around T6-7 with DDs (which also saves you from getting pooped on by T10s).

• Cool 4

[ADRIA]
Players
69 posts
6,553 battles

Go check out some videos by DestroyerKuroshiokai on Youtube. He is dedicated to DDs pretty much exclusively, you won't find any better info on how to play DDs.

• Cool 1

Players
815 posts
6,619 battles
24 minutes ago, MQ9 said:

Hi All,

Been playing this game on and of for the last couple years but on average this is my result:

10 games, 8 losses. I know I am not the best wowser bu lately it is hard to get better results with any DD. Even though I try not to rush caps, I lose on points. Even if I try and cap, I get blabbed. 

I started playing after the cv rework, so dds (which I picked) made me uninstall game. Coming back I delved into bbs and slowly got back to dds again. A couple of personal notes (much better players here to give advice) but here it is. 

I'm very good at some dds. Not lines mind you, but ships. I'm atrociously awful at others. It took me a while to figure out why. So choose the dds you feel comfortable in. I see a lot of daka here, are you comfortable in these types of ships? Kita is my personal favorite but I'm not very good at it still. MM is also brutal at these tiers. So have a look at the different types and styles and see where you at. Start at the bottom and work your way up, stop when you see things are going South.

MM is very unfavorable and can lead you down dark paths. If you lose and you start feel the pressure stop playing (i don't). I lost 25 games in a row before winning in the Kita being doing better ever since but still.

Try cruisers. I don't like them but I discovered some ships I like (Fiji) for obvious reasons. Also it helps you see your biggest counter (after the cvs) and plan accordingly.

Stay alive by not suiciding. Late in game dds shine. 

Learn the maps. Dont trust yr teamates. EVER. Try to figure out where they will f up and try to plan to counter their glue-sniffing ideas.

Always have a way out. Always have 2 ways out. If a plan is too risky don't do it.

Watch the map. Some ships come in packs. If one is there, another might be nearby.

Avoid cvs. Watch them early to see if they know their sheet. Always assume they do so don't rush into caps. Actually, never go into caps early, don't go later. Let the enemy get there first. Wait and then wait some more for the sneaky, ill willed radar cruiser lurking nearby to pop up.

Always sail near a forest of rocks to hide behind.

Don't park in smoke for too long, even in the Kita. Don't save on smokes. DDs lifespan can be short. 

Learn to lose and move on (I cant but still.)

and lastly, Study the starting screen before game, see which ships to fear, to mind and which to go after.

PS" ah and once more, DON"T TRUST YR TEAMATES THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED :)

• Cool 1

Players
204 posts
5,365 battles

i stopped at Tier 7 for DDs it simply doesn't look much fun above that, i'm quite happy gunboating in my Tier 5 Podvoisky for and enjoyable game or two, it's not supposed to be a chore

[-GOD-]
Players
1,103 posts
15,824 battles
36 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

in the same boat as you mate. Trying to learn DD's.

Best advice I was given. Where ever you decide to go always have an escape plan, if you are spotted. And i have never taken out any DD at any tier unless I can mount at least a 10pt captain so I can have the CE skill. Concealment = survival in a DD.

This is by far the best advice. Always always have an escape plan that works and learn to mitigate incoming damage as quickly as possible. Sometimes it's even more important to have a plan of escape then to have a plan of attack ^^

It's okay to be shot at as long as you can dictate when and how much. Learn to plan your conceilment by planning ahead as much as possible. Stop firing when you're overwhelemed and conceilment can save you from going down. Take the hits, get off grid, lick your wounds and start again.

Be aware of who in your team and flank is likely to help when you start opening up, and be aware of who most likely won't and always be aware that there can be 4 ships on your flank that all simply won't assist you (you can judge their awareness or willingness in their generic behavior, if they behave like carrier horses wearing blinders, or if they seem to behave smart and flexible in changing focus to the most vulnourable or most dangerous threats).

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Alpha Tester
18,645 posts
6,078 battles

Lots of excellent advice given already, would like to reiterate the best one's and maybe run my mind over other issues.

1 hour ago, MQ9 said:

10 games, 8 losses

Two days ago I played 15 games in a session, I won only 2. It was absolutely horrific, and I know that I should have stopped much earlier. Losing can be frustrating for both being upset at your own performance and at your team, frustration is the worst thing to feel when entering a fresh battle. Take a break, do something else when you loose more as 3 games in a row. 

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Better upload some replays so we can have a looksy. Its pretty hard to give decent advice, since we can only guess the problem, so we can only give the usual advice.

If you can analyze your own mistakes, you can avoid making them in the future aswell. So sometimes it can help aswell to look at your own replays without the pressure of playing the game.

On coms / clan / scrubs chat  I can sometimes be really salty about 'team is bad' or w/e, but I do watch my own replays back if I have a game where I really think: wth happened that the result was as it is? Also having others comment on your play can be quite revealing to mistakes in your approach to the game. 

1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

Don't open fire unless you're sure you'll outtrade the opponent. If you lose more health than the enemy dd, just end the engagement without firing and get away until you got the advantage. Either by having better support, smoke ready or better positioning.

This is the best advice in the thread, sadly it's also the hardest to properly implement. 

22 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Always always have an escape plan that works and learn to mitigate incoming damage as quickly as possible. Sometimes it's even more important to have a plan of escape then to have a plan of attack ^^

Part of the above, survival is key you can't influence a game when you're no longer alive.

23 minutes ago, Europizza said:

It's okay to be shot at as long as you can dictate when and how much. Learn to plan your conceilment by planning ahead as much as possible.

Minimap should always be big enough to make out easilly, have ship names and your spotting circles on them. Make sure your AA is off when there is a carrier, your air detection is very low, only turn it on when you're already spotted. 

25 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Be aware of who in your team and flank is likely to help when you start opening up, and be aware of who most likely won't

This is why @loppantorkel his advice is so hard to implement for new players I think. I like playing my french DD's, they are quite good when played in a certain manner: supporting allied DD by jumping on an enemy DD which thinks he got a fair or even favorable for him fight ) but when my reload booster is down I will play more passive. If I'm in a USN DD I will try to get into CQC / ambush DD's but I will not take part in prolonged long distance fights with for instance an VMF DD which is moving away from me. So if I am in an USN DD even while I might get outspotted by enemy IJN, if I have a FR DD 3km behind me I will push through when I get spotted. If there is an IJN DD in my team with much better concealment, I won't do this as it's not my job. 

Sadly a large part of the playerbase doesn't care, or doesn't even know differences between nation's ( traits ) let alone some individual ship stats. I mean, the amount of IJN DD's you can meet between tier 5-7 without camouflage..

That also denotes the importance of 

1 hour ago, Fat_Maniac said:

And i have never taken out any DD at any tier unless I can mount at least a 10pt captain so I can have the CE skill. Concealment = survival in a DD.

..captain skills. Which is part of why a lot of premium ships in mid tiers have such high averages compared to other ships in the tier. People do not always play mid tiers with fully tricked out captains, but if you have one, it can make a lot off difference especially if you're making dedicated builds for certain roles you want to perform in game. 

@MQ9 what I would actually advice is watching flamu's tech tree showcase's for destroyer line. I don't know if they are all still available on twitch, and only the German one is complete on his youtube channel, but he has highlights from the other DD lines. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,310 posts
8,504 battles
1 hour ago, lossi_2018 said:

Dont trust yr teamates. EVER.

This is one of the more helpful bits of advice to keep in mind, especially if you've recently been playing a lot of Clans or Ranked.

In the smaller team formats, especially Clans where you can usually rely on everyone being on roughly the same page, you can usually rely on your team-mates to shoot at opposition DDs that you spot, enemy radars that will get you killed, and so on. In randoms (especially at the weekend?), a lot of players you'll see - on both sides - really don't know what they're doing. We've all seen the sniping Tirpitzes, people ignoring the important targets (stealthy DDs, radars etc.) whilst farming useless fire damage from BBs, etc.

In practice, and rather frustratingly, this means that most DD drivers need to play a lot more conservatively than they might like if they want to maximise the chances of a win. This also (partly) explains my own dreadful WR - I have a tendency to play far too aggressively in randoms, having got used to having support in Clans and over-estimating the abilities of the typical random player!

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
19,466 posts
12,239 battles

As a few others already suggested. Go back in Tiers.

• Tier V, maybe VI is a good learning enviroment
  • make sure you have Concealment Expert on those ships
  • make sure you know the role of your ship (Torpboat, Gunboat, Hybrid, Cap Contester)
  • no matter your role, try to stay alive, the more your HP go down, the more risk averse you should act during the match

Players
2,131 posts
11,647 battles

Upload some replays.

Learn the low and mid tier DD’s,

don't rush to high tier ones. Try learn 1 line at a time and find out which style best suits you.

Learn what other ships have utility wise. Such as Hydro and Radar including range and duration. Each line has its own strength and weaknesses. Learn them inside out. Play other classes to learn how to counter DD’s and you’ll learn how to counter the counter. 

Its an an unforgiving class that that seems easy but now probably requires the highest skill set to play well in.

Lastly don’t ever be a background max range torping Shima. Ever.

• Cool 1

Players
2,131 posts
11,647 battles
2 hours ago, MQ9 said:

Hi All,

Also, Friesland is by far the most difficult DD get the most out of. Even a skilled DD player struggles to get good games compared to other DD’s in its tier range. 

Players
236 posts
3,006 battles

I would only add that you should play cautiously to start. Stay concealed and spot for your own team, while constantly updating  the escape route. Don't rush in - you're not an MTB. Just stay alive, spot, and take torpedo opportunities later.

• Cool 2

Players
2,053 posts
3 hours ago, Gebe_ said:

Go check out some videos by DestroyerKuroshiokai on Youtube. He is dedicated to DDs pretty much exclusively, you won't find any better info on how to play DDs.

Thanks, just gone there to have a look now.

• Cool 1

Players
2,053 posts
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Upload some replays.

Learn the low and mid tier DD’s,

don't rush to high tier ones. Try learn 1 line at a time and find out which style best suits you.

Learn what other ships have utility wise. Such as Hydro and Radar including range and duration. Each line has its own strength and weaknesses. Learn them inside out. Play other classes to learn how to counter DD’s and you’ll learn how to counter the counter. 

Its an an unforgiving class that that seems easy but now probably requires the highest skill set to play well in.

Lastly don’t ever be a background max range torping Shima. Ever.

So go to cap, spot, pop smoke, fire a volley of torps, in a general direction, and retreat out of cap slowly under cover of smoke, worked a treat last night for me, and I even survived the game:cap_like:

[ADRIA]
Players
69 posts
6,553 battles
2 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

So go to cap, spot, pop smoke, fire a volley of torps, in a general direction, and retreat out of cap slowly under cover of smoke, worked a treat last night for me, and I even survived the game:cap_like:

Don't waste your smoke. Smoke up only when spotted or about to be spotted and in danger of getting reset (e.g., planes incoming and you still need more time in cap) . But really, watch a lot of vids because there's just so much info that it is impossible to give appropriate guidance in writing.

• Cool 1

Players
2,053 posts
7 minutes ago, Gebe_ said:

Don't waste your smoke. Smoke up only when spotted or about to be spotted and in danger of getting reset (e.g., planes incoming and you still need more time in cap) . But really, watch a lot of vids because there's just so much info that it is impossible to give appropriate guidance in writing.

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that yes nowadays I am much more aware of my concealment range.

Everyone mentions the Shima by default,but what about the Haragumo, Gearing and eventually my next and last t 10 ship, the Daring.

Needless to say I was happy with this result..., it don't take much to make me happy,lol

shot-19.09.15_01.59.31-0947.jpg

shot-19.09.15_01.59.39-0574.jpg

shot-19.09.15_02.00.05-0371.jpg

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
69 posts
6,553 battles
14 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that yes nowadays I am much more aware of my concealment range.

Everyone mentions the Shima by default,but what about the Haragumo, Gearing and eventually my next and last t 10 ship, the Daring.

All of them should be played very differently. But in any of them your top consideration is always positioning: in regards to your team positions and in regards to enemy team positions and in regards to objectives and terrain (cover).

Positioning also depends on your ship's strengths and weaknesses, as well as current state (how much hp left, which consumables available). So know your ship and adapt both to your team's "flow" and to the enemy team's flow.

And... be nice to people. Much easier this way to get some support and cooperation. Can't stress this enough.

Very general advice, I know, but getting the details takes months and years.

• Cool 1

Players
100 posts
491 battles

One thing I have noticed is that smoke can give your position away.

If you're outside direct detection range and smoke up, the smoke is detected from further away and smoke = destroyer. (most of the time)

Beta Tester
5 posts
3,268 battles

Hi all

Many thanks for all the replies. There are indeed some  very useful tips.

4 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Here is one fromt the Kita, this one I lost:

20190915_103315_PJSD219-Kitakaze_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay

And from the Groz, lost too:

20190915_115419_PRSD210-Grozovoy-pr-40N_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

And one in Hr.Mr.Friesland, that one I won:

20190915_112204_PWSD510-Friesland_28_naval_mission.wowsreplay

Thanks again for aal the tips.

M.