You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jandarid67

Spotting System Range

10 comments in this topic

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,715 battles

I believe spotting system range is the root of our current issues. For instance a plane 20kms further from closest ally can pinpoint enemy location to ally "continuously" like ally is there which causes ally to lock on that target and fire at it with accuracy. I like the way how storms work in this game. You still get intel about your enemy's location in minimap but you can't lock on it because you don't see it. You can still salvo to him by minimap. If continuous transmission of intel would be removed at certain range (which is happening but at loooong distance) CVs spotting wouldn't be too much issue, DDs wouldn't cry about being spotted all the time, Island huggers would say good bye to their island hugging methods. Long rangers still can fire from minimap or some mechanic could be developed to shoot (less accurately) to the unseeable but intelled targets.

What I propose is this. Reduce the whole spotting system range. Bigger the size of the ship more the spotting range but still not being able to fire to the max range with lock on.

Edited by Jandarid67
Typo

Players
3 posts

I think the ship spotting in WOW is unrealistic. If an enemy ship is spotted by an allied ship, plane or radar then all the allied vessels are able to fire directly at the enemy.
Surely only allies in visible range should be able to see the enemy on the main screen. All other allies should have the enemy vessel appear on their maps only.
They can then decide to move towards or away or fire at the enemy using the map only.

At the moment if a DD gets pinged by one ship using radar, loads of ships suddenly fire directly at it, even if they would not normally be able to see it.

Players
3,220 posts
37 minutes ago, Captain_793 said:

I think the ship spotting in WOW is unrealistic. If an enemy ship is spotted by an allied ship, plane or radar then all the allied vessels are able to fire directly at the enemy.
Surely only allies in visible range should be able to see the enemy on the main screen. All other allies should have the enemy vessel appear on their maps only.
They can then decide to move towards or away or fire at the enemy using the map only.

At the moment if a DD gets pinged by one ship using radar, loads of ships suddenly fire directly at it, even if they would not normally be able to see it.

I think it is fine as it is, more ships should have spotters, the Russian BB'e need the option at least t use them, and I find people with ships with spotters tend t be reluctant to use them, I have no idea why this is?

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
On 9/13/2019 at 7:38 PM, Jandarid67 said:

I believe spotting system range is the root of our current issues. For instance a plane 20kms further from closest ally can pinpoint enemy location to ally "continuously" like ally is there which causes ally to lock on that target and fire at it with accuracy. I like the way how storms work in this game. You still get intel about your enemy's location in minimap but you can't lock on it because you don't see it. You can still salvo to him by minimap. If continuous transmission of intel would be removed at certain range (which is happening but at loooong distance) CVs spotting wouldn't be too much issue, DDs wouldn't cry about being spotted all the time, Island huggers would say good bye to their island hugging methods. Long rangers still can fire from minimap or some mechanic could be developed to shoot (less accurately) to the unseeable but intelled targets.

What I propose is this. Reduce the whole spotting system range. Bigger the size of the ship more the spotting range but still not being able to fire to the max range with lock on.

You could still lock on the target but get a large dispersion penalty according to your range etc when you have no visibility. 

It is a good suggestion but I'm afraid you'll get a lot heat from the island huggers and smoke HE spammers... 

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,715 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

You could still lock on the target but get a large dispersion penalty according to your range etc when you have no visibility. 

It is a good suggestion but I'm afraid you'll get a lot heat from the island huggers and smoke HE spammers... 

This is actually better than my idea but I don't know if locking system has some sort of accuracy level or percentage buff.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,657 posts
11,740 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Island huggers (the cruisers that just get deleted if caught in the open) would be screwed but imagine BBs trying to hit anything if you include an extra penalty against things they don't spot themselves :Smile_veryhappy:

And as for the most notable smoke HE spammers (DDs)... They tend to shoot from relatively close and at relatively big enemy ships, bad dispersion wouldn't change THAT much. On the other hand: they are relatively small so enemies would find it harder to punish them if they get radared or something.

[JRM]
Players
6,283 posts
24,145 battles
2 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

I think it is fine as it is, more ships should have spotters, the Russian BB'e need the option at least t use them, and I find people with ships with spotters tend t be reluctant to use them, I have no idea why this is?

Nooooooooooooooooo... The last thing RU BBs need is more range, their limited range is the only thing keeping them at bay, at least partially...

As for spotters - long cool downs and low HP of the spotters as well as short duration make them relatively scarce and of low value... Only few boats such as Lazo really profit from them heavily as the spotter can sit up and allow prolonged long range gunning for them...

[SHAFT]
Players
9,491 posts
8,838 battles

I dont really get the idea behind this, but here an example:

What if 2 DDs see each other, but neither is shooting, is any other teammate supposed to see them in that case? Or not because noone is spotting that DD themselves?

If noone is able to see the DDs, then what would be the point of a gunboat DD? If the gunboat DD opens up on the torpedo DD, he is spotted by eveything in his gunrange. So the enemy team could shoot the gunboat DD, but the other DD is basicly safe since he never fired his guns.

At the same time, Hydro/Radar would become entirely selfish tools, since noone else can see the target except the radar ship. (If i cant shoot, why pop radar?)

I only agree about plane-spotting. Ive said that several times, and it would cause much less issues with CVs. Even if you can dodge the CV strikes, you still have several other ships shooting at you because you are spotted.

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
53 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Island huggers (the cruisers that just get deleted if caught in the open) would be screwed but imagine BBs trying to hit anything if you include an extra penalty against things they don't spot themselves :Smile_veryhappy:

And as for the most notable smoke HE spammers (DDs)... They tend to shoot from relatively close and at relatively big enemy ships, bad dispersion wouldn't change THAT much. On the other hand: they are relatively small so enemies would find it harder to punish them if they get radared or something.

Well isn't that multiple birds with one stone?? Border hugging BBs are as cancerous as HE spammers. So punishing them for shooting, at targets they don't see, from 20km+ range would be good. 

On the other hand, DDs are nerfed hard directly and indirectly in the past. All the radar, hydro, flood nerf, sky cancer boost etc.. They could use a little inaccuracy by the enemies who don't even see them but shoots at them from the other end of the map... 

Disclaimer, I am a BB main.. 

Players
10 posts
On 9/13/2019 at 6:38 PM, Jandarid67 said:

Do you mean that a bigger ship can be locked on to from further away or that a bigger ship can lock on to targets further away?