You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Winged_Cat_Dormant

Why do you like to play CVs?

44 comments in this topic

[TAYTO]
Players
479 posts
7,220 battles

Honest question to those who like the class. 

Note: I do not like them and I do not want them in the game. I have played them to try to understand their appeal and found none.

I will not criticize the replies, I honestly want to understand those who really like them.

Cheers.

• Cool 3

Players
1,671 posts
6,363 battles

Because they are fun to play for me

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[TAYTO]
Players
479 posts
7,220 battles

I was expecting more developed answers. Nobody will say they like to play destroyers because of the sound of the waves against the hull! :P

• Cool 1

Players
1,671 posts
6,363 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Winged_Cat_Dormant sagte:

I was expecting more developed answers. Nobody will say they like to play destroyers because of the sound of the waves against the hull! :P

When I first saw CV players I was inspired by the feel of responsibility one must have while playing such a powerful class. So I wanted to feel responsible too and got into RTS CV's. 

After rework nothing really changed in that regard. A CV player is majorly responsible for winning or losing. I like to take that responsibility and lead my team to a win. 

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
1,691 posts
3,971 battles
Just now, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

I mean, I can always elaborate my answer if you want, but fundamentally it says it all.

I played the three CV tech tree lines up to T6 to give it an honest go and then basically went :etc_swear: it because they weren't really enjoyable.

Now I mostly just play the Enterprise, and only when I'm in the mood to make other people miserable.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TAYTO]
Players
479 posts
7,220 battles
1 minute ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

When I first saw CV players I was inspired by the feel of responsibility one must have while playing such a powerful class. So I wanted to feel responsible too and got into RTS CV's. 

After rework nothing really changed in that regard. A CV player is majorly responsible for winning or losing. I like to take that responsibility and lead my team to a win. 

Fair play to you!

Players
2,557 posts
7,934 battles

Because they are incredibly boring to play (graphics over any substance) and the most selfish ship in this game. 

I mainly washed my hands of them after the rework and sold all I had. Thank god. 

Not one person in my clan really plays them now.

We think of them as a kids game within a game now. Because mainly kids play them.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
536 posts
8,450 battles

What i really like is that CVs feel far more tactical than cruisers and battleships. For the larger part BBs and cruisers are just damage farmers, although of course you can play them such that they become more tactical than that. 

In a CV however, you can go and bother targets that are either out of position, or that need to be removed ASAP. You can hunt down destroyers- which they generally think is "unfair", do stuff like hide your aircraft behind islands and pop up unspotted with your bombers to a battleship. 
Combine that with the visual representation and you get quite a nice, immersive gameplay IMO. 

Downside is of course that your aircraft sometimes get absolutely obliterated out of nowhere, such as by an undetected minotaur, worcester or even a DD sometimes

What i also really like is that the new system basically forces you to think about which aircraft to use when, and most carriers need to switch between types to make sure they can keep using full squads. 
The loss of aircraft really is problematic for a lot of CVs though, AA has become a tad too powerfull

Edited by Isoruku_Yamamoto
small addition
  • Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,942 posts
11,367 battles

To win. To stomp. And because they are the new class to try. Nothing deeper than that I’m afraid. 

Players
614 posts
14,791 battles

I enjoyed trying the old RTS CVs although I really was bad at it, and they changed CVs before I got around to giving it another go. 

RTS had a extremely in depth tactical element you had to carefully use your attack wings watching out for the aura of surface ships whilst also trying to use your fighters to blunt the other CVs attacks, picking targets selectively at least until HE spam had taken out a lot of AA mounts. Also you could assist a DD or cruiser in blunting an aggressive push.

I personally cannot stand the new style CV play its just so mind-numbingly repetitive feels more like a shiny mobile game than anything else.

• Cool 4

Players
3,144 posts
245 battles

mainly because i wanted to try out the fps mode and also to play carriers i never got a chance to before the reeework.

Although i like the new version it can be pretty boring sometimes except during close games.

[POP]
Players
417 posts
9,220 battles

To get them nerfed by inducing excess salt to the game forums.

• Funny 1

[POP]
Weekend Tester
694 posts

They're by far the best thing for farming damage, xp, achievements and whatever. When there was the very grindy achievement hoarding event earlier in the spring, I played carriers almost exclusively. It's also very relaxing since you have to screw up colossally to have a bad game.

They are not that interesting to play, though, and playing carriers has massively reduced my interest in all other classes - and I guess that's the reason why I play carriers (when I do). When given the choice of being the prey or the apex predator, I'm inclined to choose the latter.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,354 battles

Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, I generally only play mine in PvE (that's mostly true of BBs too though). I do have, I believe, everything (silver and premium) up to and including T8 though. No T10s yet.

That said, they provide a bit of variety in terms of gameplay that makes a nice change from the usual torps/guns stuff; the gameplay itself is reasonably fast and fluid, and (minor thing) everything looks rather pretty - even on the lower definition version of the game. I like having three different ways to attack the opposition, with each requiring a different approach to use effectively.

To the contrary, it's enormously frustrating that WG remain unable to come up with an approximate balance between CVs and surface ships, and that things change drastically very frequently - this discourages me from playing more, as I don't want to waste time getting the hang of something that may change out of all recognition in a week or several.

• Cool 1

Players
397 posts
8,618 battles
40 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Because they are incredibly boring to play (graphics over any substance) and the most selfish ship in this game.

CV's have unparalleled tactical flexibility. Planes are fast, so it's your natural duty to spot the enemy team and keep the 12 red minimap markers up-to-date. Also, you have three different types of planes for striking  different types of targets. 

It's the ultimate support class, and when played well loved by the team. This massive potential makes them fun and rewarding to play. The gameplay is cinematic and immersive. The flip side of the coin is that if the green CV is a potato, playing it as the "most selfish ship in this game", your team loses an awful lot. 

• Cool 3

[-LA-]
Players
184 posts
1,879 battles

there not passive , you dont sit there camping a corner, humping an island looking to jump up and down on whoeve gets bored and dares to move forward first. 

you get to absolutely f up DD players that simply refuse to adapt. and i love doing that , nothing beats trashing a fun police boat in the opening seconds of a match and they go off in chat.

But mostly its about being active the whole game 

edit - and having different types of attack that work differently is a big plus , makes them more varied 

• Cool 2

Players
2,557 posts
7,934 battles
8 minutes ago, asalonen said:

CV's have unparalleled tactical flexibility. Planes are fast, so it's your natural duty to spot the enemy team and keep the 12 red minimap markers up-to-date. Also, you have three different types of planes for striking  different types of targets. 

It's the ultimate support class, and when played well loved by the team. This massive potential makes them fun and rewarding to play. The gameplay is cinematic and immersive. The flip side of the coin is that if the green CV is a potato, playing it as the "most selfish ship in this game", your team loses an awful lot. 

And what game are you playing?  This is the WOWS forum.

However, if you have stumbled into this forum or being serious then if you think having 3 types of planes is tactically challenging then your better off with a mobile phone.

• Cool 1

Players
197 posts
9,102 battles

Why annoy two or three people per match if you can annoy 22?

No, not 23. CV players are a malevolent brotherhood happily ignoring each other till the reservoir of farmable classes is depleted.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
495 posts
10,622 battles

Because:

- I like capital ships. I like big ships. The bigger the better(No, seriously)

- I have a love for naval warfare and beautiful ships, especially historical ships.

- I love RTS games and have played them since 1995. CVs naturally appealed to me as a gamer.

- I believe in air power. :Smile_glasses:  Load up Red Alert 3, let me pick Allies and I'll show you... don't blink :Smile_trollface:

- Death from above is sooooo gratifying :Smile_trollface:

It's as simple as that. 

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,730 posts
4,062 battles
1 hour ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Mwaahhh. There's a few reasons. 

I like planes, really. WG had WoWP but that really sucked, and then there was that other one... hmm.

But they had "battle rating"and even though the planes and everything was nice, BR made it suck even harder.

I tried RTS CVs. Meh, really no fun at all - more like chess. I can see the challenge.

Though the challenge for me was more the way they worked...

I like the way the game looks when playing CV now. Maybe it is a bit too much "retard mode". :Smile_trollface:

But that's usually because WG has done some stupid stuff to "balance them".

What I like about the gameplay, you can really help the team get that HE-spammer that seems invulnerable and stops your whole team.

You can chase that pesky DD that is sending your teammates to the bottom. Most of all, you can troll the whole lot of them.

It's not easy to make big damage, but you can make the difference if you play it tactically. 

[BBMM]
Players
3,730 posts
4,062 battles
14 minutes ago, thisismalacoda said:

No, not 23. CV players are a malevolent brotherhood happily ignoring each other till the reservoir of farmable classes is depleted.

I'll troll the other CV as well if given half the chance. 

Also, no mercy for DDs - usually they'll try to sink me too, so they deserve what is coming. :Smile_izmena:

Do we need to talk about poor BBabies? Well they deserved it anyway! :Smile_playing:

Players
32 posts
2,198 battles
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

I mean, I can always elaborate my answer if you want, but fundamentally it says it all.

I played the three CV tech tree lines up to T6 to give it an honest go and then basically went :etc_swear: it because they weren't really enjoyable.

Now I mostly just play the Enterprise, and only when I'm in the mood to make other people miserable.

Was similar with me going from 4 to 6, but once I got through the (somewhat rough) adaptation, got my CV love back somewhat.

As to me playing carriers to begin with, I'm a bit of a carrier enthusiast, so obvious choice really. 

Also really like the flexibility of carriers. Your on one flank and see your team needs help on the other? Easy to switch over. All the enemy DD's destroyed? Swap out your rocket planes and launch some torp planes and smash some BB's.

Plus it's nice to occasionally nice to make some haters spew some salt.:Smile_popcorn:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,642 posts
6,560 battles
42 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

And what game are you playing?  This is the WOWS forum.

However, if you have stumbled into this forum or being serious then if you think having 3 types of planes is tactically challenging then your better off with a mobile phone.

Meh I mean I tried the old RTS CV's and found them glitchy and generally boring. Tried the rework CV's and found them more fun, and if nothing else it is another class of ships to both master and learn to counter so I guess that is why I play them.

• Cool 1