Sign in to follow this  
Europizza

Friesland build and captain skills?

20 comments in this topic

Players
5,175 posts
21,512 battles

I bought the Friesland, cuz I'm Dutch. My current build is using my Polish Blyska 19 pt captain. I'm not sure which way to go, and since I'm not willing to fork over gold or capt XP to test capt builds I'll be running with this for a bit until a new free respec comes along. My main concern is the IHFE (Blyska heritage) might be a waste, as the HE pen = 25 mill. Not useles, but not versitile either. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I've updated my build, check for it a few posts below.

shot-19_09.04_23_59.31-0534.thumb.jpg.f45a28bd93ad0ed484a979b846e47f7c.jpgshot-19_09.04_23_59.40-0691.thumb.jpg.aef4bf3b8bacc67e4cb4565bf73436db.jpg

Players
32,812 posts
16,450 battles

Looks good.

I will go with BFT instead of SI. But I am not 100% sure if 3 smokes will be enough in the long run.

You do not need IFHE vs DD. But being able to bring some hurt to cruisers after you dealed with all DD speaks for IFHE.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

Dont bother, jsut put in port till it gets fixed. Right now its unplayably bad

• Funny 1

Players
5,175 posts
21,512 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Looks good.

I will go with BFT instead of SI. But I am not 100% sure if 3 smokes will be enough in the long run.

You do not need IFHE vs DD. But being able to bring some hurt to cruisers after you dealed with all DD speaks for IFHE.

Tnx!

I've tested her in coop a bit, and in a armor training set up with all tier 10 cruisers and some tier 9's as I'm not yet certain how she's behaving. I did like what I saw there damage wise, on some cruisers you get to put some extra hurt on bow, decks and stern and light cruisers are becoming soft all over which seems great. I'm considering your BFT suggestion and Preventive Maint. instead of IHFE, which seems to be a great alternative build for her, especially given that she has only two turrets. Current reload time is 1.6 s. BFT would cut that to 1.4 s right?

I'm pretty sure she's quite vulnerable, so PM might be a great help, and an extra smoke seems pretty important. I like that about this ship, she seems to have a few valid builds in her.

I've traded the Smoke Mod 1 for Aiming syst. Mod 1 to help her dispersion but it doesnt seem to make much difference as she's got a pretty short range. I'll probably switch back to the Smoke Mod to be able to smoke a huge area to help teammates.

[CHEFT]
[CHEFT]
Players
1,421 posts
27,854 battles
4 hours ago, Corvi said:

Dont bother, jsut put in port till it gets fixed. Right now its unplayably bad

Lol, really? The ship is very fun actually! This match was lost due to a rather incompetent team by the way.

shot-19.09.04_18.25.58-0678.jpg

[OHFK]
Players
419 posts
11,356 battles

I have a 14 point Blyskawica commander and my build at the moment is the role of a DD hunter:

Priority Target 

Last Stand 

Survivability Expert 

Concealment Expert 

Radio Location 

Next skills will be:

Basic Firing Training

Adrenaline Rush

This is a gun boat build where you use RL to locate and harass enemy destroyers and in late game burn down whatever bigger ship you see. 

8 hours ago, Europizza said:

My main concern is the IHFE (Blyska heritage) might be a waste, as the HE pen = 25 mill. Not useles, but not versitile either. Any thoughts?

I don't get why people take IFHE on 120 mm guns, sure it allows you to pen 25 mm of armor, but many ships have 27 or even 30 mm deck armor at higher tiers forcing you to aim for the 19mm superstructure and making IFHE obsolete. 

7 hours ago, Europizza said:

I've traded the Smoke Mod 1 for Aiming syst. Mod 1 to help her dispersion but it doesnt seem to make much difference as she's got a pretty short range. I'll probably switch back to the Smoke Mod to be able to smoke a huge area to help teammates.

Smoke Mod. 1? You mean the one that gives you more puffs but less time? That sounds like a really bad mod for American style smoke which this ship has. I run the AA mod giving me +2 flak since it is a good AA destroyer, next best thing according to me would be aiming mod. 

• Cool 1

[NMA]
Players
1,515 posts
21,430 battles

My first captain build, 10 games testing, was:

1: PT

2: LS + AR

3: SE + SI

4: IFHE + CE

I was averaging 55k dmg, won 5 lost 5

Now I'm trying a build without IFHE so for the next 10 games my build will be:

1: PT

2: LS

3: SE + SI + DE + BFT

4: CE

Only played two games with this "new" build but I see increase in dmg output, and it's considerable.

Upgrades I'm using are:

main arm., hydro mod, AA mod1, propulsion, concealment, AA mod2

Considering upgrades, I would only drop AA mod2 for main battery mod (faster reload). I tried longer gun range but shells are so floaty, its really hard to hit moving targets at 14-15km range.

• Cool 2

Players
5,175 posts
21,512 battles

Great feedback so far, thanks. I played a few battles in random now, and I will change my build. I find myself in DD vs. DD fights a lot, and I don't survive long enough to make use of SI at all. I also don't find IHFE useful enough to warrant 4 points spend on that, so I'll drop the Blyska build and try a Friesland centric build instead. This is what I will test with.

image.thumb.png.ee02911083ea195fbf7f4ff7224f2373.png

PT and PM to help keep everything working

LS and AR as I am usually damaged pretty early ingame, so extra damage output is applied most of the time for long durations

SE, DE and BFT

CE

I find Hydro mod 1 essential, but I am not impressed by a 107 -> 101 dispersion buff, and do not like to spec for AA, so I'll keep my smoke mod 1 to help teammates, but just because of lack of more interesting choices.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

• Cool 1

Players
5,175 posts
21,512 battles

After 2 battles with the new build I can already say I'm happy with the new setup. It's way more responsive and fun to play.

The result of the two matches below. I went from mediocre mid scoring position to top scoring position, and I'm actually not sure why, because the matches didn't feel particularly better, but my damage on BB's went up dramatically due to fires. In the first match I actually duke it out at 6 km range with a Lyon in plain sight being pushed out of my smoke (yes she has no area denial power what so ever, make sure you realise that at all times), a fight I seriously dominated trading shells. In the second match I got to farm a Soyuz TXI BB while low on health, which resulted in a whopping 70k damage on her. Overall I don't feel intimidated by other DD's, but it always comes at a cost of HP. Second match had a CV in it but it hardly came near me after I raped her initial Midway rocket squad by pretending to have an AA build at the cost of 0 damage due to some slik rocketbeats manouvering :Smile_trollface:

Short version: I think this is the build i'll run with, pretty happy with it, and with the ship. She is very different from all other DD's. And I'm still trying to torp :Smile_smile:

shot-19_09.05_12_54.21-0578.thumb.jpg.dec3cc810a973667623f1389b72be299.jpgshot-19_09.05_12_55.17-0941.thumb.jpg.5e307e9f7d5c581c13d4d467c1b67fc9.jpg

shot-19_09.05_12_54.36-0090.thumb.jpg.0d9ddbcd4d17e41b3fdabb52ffae8297.jpgshot-19_09.05_13.04_09-0614.thumb.jpg.2ad6a7e5f2ee934ef14331535864748c.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
1,375 posts
4,408 battles
28 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Short version: I think this is the build i'll run with, pretty happy with it, and with the ship. She is very different from all other DD's. And I'm still trying to torp

Happy you enjoy it, I am still checking out some replays to get a grasp of this thing! :)

• Cool 1

Players
448 posts
20,182 battles

Well my original captain came from my Blyskawica and it had the fallowing build.

1 - PT

2 - AR,  LS

3 - BFT, DE

4 - AFT, CE

Now this works well, the modules I use that are important are the Rate of fire and the Sonar mod for another 20% duration, also 50% to engine acceleration because you have no boost so its important when you need to get going.

The Problem is that AFT is rely only good for hitting stationary or reversing BB's at 14.8km. Its not bad, plenty of reversing Yamatos to set on fire but thats all you can rely do with it unless your target is very stupid.

I did respec the captain yesterday.

1 - PT

2 - AR,  LS

3 - BFT, DE

4 - IFHE, CE

I spent a few hours going trough different ships, checking the forum, stats before I decided to try IFHE.

My reasoning behind this reaspec is that AFT gives limited use, bow tanking BB's mostly, you can basically only set fires to them no other damage and at that range your gonna miss more shells to.

IFHE opens up a few possibility's. Forget BB's you still have to burn them BUT IFHE at this calibre is only -1% fire chance so you still get a net benefit with DE and you can still hit 10% with flags so It burns stuff just fine, rely no big difference there.

But it allows you to do more useful damage against Cruisers.

British Cruisers can already be pened without IFHE and citadeled with AP, but there paper.

American Heavy Cruisers and Germans are to well armoured even for IFHE but the Japanese, Russian, American Light Cruisers and the French are more or less 25mm plating and open for pens with IFHE.

I just had a game where a Stalingrad decided to poke his nose out at 3.5km from my smoke after his radar ran out.

I set 13K of fires on him, total of 46K to him and he was dead before he could fire his 3:e salvo on me once proxyspoting me in smoke.

Basically I pend his bow for most of it and some of his superstructure at the end, with out IFHE he would still be like half HP at least instead he died to me and my team in 30-40 sec.

AP could have worked in the beginning but as soon as hi went bow on that option goes out the window.

IFHE is situational BUT I would say it better then AFT and if you want range you can always switch the module for +0.2sec less dacka dacka and more range, it seems to be the better option when I tested.

There are a lot of skills this ship can use but so far this build is pure awesomeness and it makes sure that anything you shoot at you can do maximum damage to.

If you dont want IFHE and dont want AFT then SE might be something, more HP is always good in a DD if you like to go and hunt other DD's.

shot-19_09.07_03_50.01-0034.thumb.jpg.fa5f6e26986c4368e68a9fa61ee85ae8.jpgshot-19_09.07_03_50.59-0348.thumb.jpg.2a17d73334286d12385fbd5527f43dfa.jpgshot-19_09.07_04_01.53-0022.thumb.jpg.9fc3b665aa90aedde08cbbd199b6ce7f.jpg

Here is my Stalingrad engagement.

Almost 47K dmg in 60 seconds AND I killed a DD trying to take advantage of him pushing me at the same time.

IFHE do make a difference against Cruisers in some cases where you dont have a flat broadside to pen with AP.

shot-19_09.06_20_10.44-0364.thumb.jpg.a2e12bd6a4c7dea353131023be49c8a9.jpgshot-19_09.06_20_10.41-0008.thumb.jpg.8bcc1e31057071a92ec6b3cf7a2d7ec5.jpgshot-19_09.06_20_10.39-0811.thumb.jpg.7ee212dec9220b22fdd40e84f4924981.jpg

In this game 3 of our DD's died at the start so was me VS 4 of there DD's.

Didnt help them tough.

Because of the high fire rate I find that spamming smoke can often secure a kill on a low HP DD, Kitakaze died that way.

I read that its not good for hunting and pushing DD's but its rather for annoying BB's.

Well to me it was made to hunt DD's first, BB's Second so well I disagree with that opinion.

One can often deal with enemy DD's pretty fast an then hunt and kill BB's and Cruisers when they lack the support of there DD's.

The rapid fire and sonar and smoke combo makes taking caps pretty easy and hold.

I honestly dont miss speed boost or torpedoes because of how fast the GUNS liquidate DD's and the lack off speed is no rely that much of an issue since most DD's rely dont want to go after you unless they want to go back to port for some reason.

• Cool 2

Players
448 posts
20,182 battles

Well I had more games in it and I sure love the IFHE instead of AFT. Sure you can go SE and other things to that are perfectly valid but I have had many games where I done 2x the fire dmg with IFHE  to a Cruiser so I feel it makes the ship a lot more versatile and allows it to take on more targets.

But I feel specing DE only limits the ship, IFHE at the moment has a relatively small penalty but in some games all Cruisers are fair game now.

It also works against T7 BB's tough you dont run in to them that often but when you do, they melt :P

Beta Tester
5 posts
3,671 battles

I bought the friesland too since it is the first dutch ship and I am dutch so I fell for it.

So far results do not say the 60+ euros are well spend:

• Games played 14, 
  • 9 losses, 
  • 5 wins. 

That has probably got to do with in those games 1) being the one of the two destroyers, 2) let's say I do miss torpedo's as a short range and 3) Having only a 12 point captain 4) Going after other DD's get's you blabbed by their team mates. 5) Not being too of a good WOWS player.

Captain skills: 

1. PT
  2. AR + LS
  3. BFT
  4. CE

Tips are welcome :)

Players
448 posts
20,182 battles

Well so fare I am at 72% W/R with about 30 games and most are played solo, works very well for me for some reason in this one.

Most games lost are teams melting to stupidity so rely not much one can do about that.

Sure on can get blapt but I find it good at hunting DD's, you wont run after them but sonar and smoke is strong, if you let them come to you it works very well.

I use island and make sure to not have my team to far away, just a tad bit closer ten normal.

I have more then once ben contested by two DD's and they died and I lived so its pretty capable of hammer it out, 29K VS one T10 and T9 a few days ago that ganged up on me, I got one kill and the other one down to one Pixel of HP before a BB killed it.

It sure benefits from 19 point captain, I used that from the start because it can easily benefit form 19 or more points if that was possible.

I got mine for 900K saved up FXP  and bought another 100K or so so about 17€.

@MQ9

You want DE for burning stuff, IFHE is good on most but not all Cruisers and T7 BB's and it has only -1% to fire chance so DE on top still is +1%.

I use the engine acceleration module to get moving faster in combination with the sonar mod1 for 2 minutes of sonar to match smoke.

I also run the fire rate module not the range so 12.3km and its not an issue.

If you dont like IFHE, rely only viable against 80% of cruisers and not much else then I would suggest SE for more HP if you prefer to live longer rater then maximizing the number of targets you can do the most damage to.

You always want to check the chips on the enemy team, what DD's has Sonar/Radar and the same for Cruisers so you know who can spot you in smoke and then try to see where they pop on the minimap so you can figure out what you might run in to at your part of the map.

This thing melts planes so CV's are less of an issue with this then other DD's, just remember to use the AA consumable and "O" for sector defence to melt those planes.

• Cool 4

[CHEFT]
[CHEFT]
Players
1,421 posts
27,854 battles
6 hours ago, Falcon_11 said:

Did anyone here consider or even try to go range build for her? Ie going aft instead of ce? 

Not really fancy trying hitting things with those floaty shells.

[C10C]
Players
199 posts
27,106 battles

I watched a video and the player dont use CE at all or any kind of concealment. Too risky, may be, but great in other aspect. Right?

Players
1,270 posts

Won't AFT extend the gun range on Fried and boost AA further as a + without you needing to take that last module for it, meaning you can stick AA module on that last slot.

Her guns are dead floaty and hard to hit anything at range, after trying the extend range module first on that last slot. So removed it and put AA module on it instead to combat CV better with the AA module also on the other slot as well (max out AA on the ship). But thought it would still be nice to gain a bit extra range, so was thinking about sticking AFT on it to make up "somewhat" for not using the extra range module on that last slot. Also using BFT as well for faster fire rate and again that also boosts the AA

I'm also in two minds if it's worth sticking IFHE on it instead of using concealment module for 4 points. It doesn't pen very well, but losing the 4pt concealment is not ideal if you take IFHE instead

Players
120 posts
9,463 battles

Since I'm #5 Friesland player of EU: 
image.thumb.png.949152cfc414499b472e80c80574820e.png

My build:

image.png.340461a9643126dfc23268cdc164312d.png

image.thumb.png.97ef936c8ea783e23fe2fc4debf773fc.png

How to play:

- Use your smoke wisely on a correct position.

- Shoot on superstructure for fires.

- Shoot on broadside AP on upper belt.

- Focus DD's and use ur hydro to smoke up, and invisible kill them.

- Stay alive = Profit

Handy: Commentary from AtotHek, my gameplay.

image.png

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this