You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Anymn

Friesland vs Tashkent/Khabarovsk?

34 comments in this topic

[RHPA]
Beta Tester
50 posts
2,533 battles

As a Dutch player, I really have to hold my horses for clicking that Buy-button immediately when seeing the Friesland on sale.

However, I'm in doubt: currently I've bad experiences with the Khabarovsk, I'm not really enjoying that ship.

Will the Friesland be any better for me/allow for different plays? I'm doubtful, considering:

• Both have no (useful) torps;
  • Both are fully gunboats;
  • Both have crappy concealment;

Any advices?

Beta Tester
463 posts
14,779 battles

if in doubt, dont buy. it will stay there for some time and till now they have warned before moving free exp ships from sales

• Cool 1

[DEGC]
Players
3 posts
6,453 battles

i like the Friesland but not that i find it a strong DD..

bc of its shell arc is kinda hard to hit on longer distance (except bb's)

you dont get alot of damage fast even with it fast reload i havent been able to get past the 100k damage even with a lot of hits (played 6 games so far)

its not that fast

long smoke + sonar makes it a fun boat to try to play anti dd.. esp dds shooting from smoke or early game cap rushing

[JRM]
Players
2,701 posts
17,832 battles

Well Freisland will be a tasking ship for any dedicated dd player, most dd mains are used to play around using their torps at one time or another, hybrid dds and even some good gunboat dds have torps to help with buffing damage and dealing with rushes, it might be better suited for those that prefer cruiser play keeping themselves at the outer edge of their range and starting fires, Khaba can be played like that as well (smoke) BUT unless you team up with a spotter (Haragumo method) your damage will suffer as you wont have so many targets, also you have hydro so you should be reasonably safe from smoke torping in Freis... One way or another Freis strikes me as more of an division boad to combine with say an IJN torp boat or a pan asian that is specced for torps with radar on board or even a frenchie so you can provide/swap smokes, Fries provides hydro cover and the other dd the torps and perhaps radar... Well at least until subs arive, took a good look at the model and its obvious its gonna be a anti-sub platform with those launchers on the front deck...

• Cool 2

Players
3,644 posts
245 battles

Well it was surpossed to be an AA DD, just like how enterpresents was surpossed to save the commander be in the premium shop but got removed because it fluxated the spreadshites or something.

Oh well. I hope its gud a regualr dd!

Quality Poster
1,687 posts
8,950 battles
1 hour ago, Anymn said:

As a Dutch player, I really have to hold my horses for clicking that Buy-button immediately when seeing the Friesland on sale.

However, I'm in doubt: currently I've bad experiences with the Khabarovsk, I'm not really enjoying that ship.

Will the Friesland be any better for me/allow for different plays? I'm doubtful, considering:

Any advices?

It is not on sale, it is for sale..

Wow.. that price..

I actually have a little booklet on this class and its sister class and am kinda fond of them.

But that price gives me pause..

Don't they know us Dutchies are often considered to be very prudent with our money?

I have shelled out a lot of money on this game, but I really do fear Friesland will be a very difficult ship to play right.

I am pretty sure Khaba will eat Friesland for breakfast, just that much more firepower and a heal, and torps.

I'll stick with my Harugumo for now, but I do want this ship in my port someday.. presumably to mostly stay there..

Sadly, if it doesn't sell well, the next Dutch ship will probably be delayed, but that is also not a great argument for buying her..

If only it'd be 10% to 20% off, with a coupon or something, but I don't have any..

Such an odd choice.. WW2 era De Ruyter would've made more sense.. Flagship of Karel Doorman at the Battle of the Java Sea to boot.. (pun intended for Dutchies)

That ships is so famous it'd be worth the price at tier VI and it'd definitely be a joy to play.

Quality Poster
1,687 posts
8,950 battles
40 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well at least until subs arive, took a good look at the model and its obvious its gonna be a anti-sub platform with those launchers on the front deck...

So you're saying Friesland is here too soon?
Damn us Dutchies being ahead of our time..

But yeah, excellent point..

• Funny 1

Players
7,356 posts
9,154 battles
23 minutes ago, TheCinC said:

So you're saying Friesland is here too soon?
Damn us Dutchies being ahead of our time..

But yeah, excellent point..

Every DD have ASW toy of one flavor or another, though "long range ASW" might be Friesland gimmick

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,489 battles

I'm Dutch, I really liked the Khaba. Just bought it straight away. But I have some spare money this month so. And I have not spend anything on this game for the last 5 month's. Maybe even longer. 
If you don't like the Khaba this ship might not be for you. If you have the money and just want it because you're Dutch, sure go for it. Same reason some other historical ships are still on my wishlist or already in my port. Not because I fancy the game play per se. Just because I want to have the ship. 

[BBMM]
Players
3,940 posts
4,375 battles

Maybe it comes with 1000 free ramming flags... I think that is the only hope.

[-SOG-]
Players
373 posts
6,536 battles

One thing to be aware of with the Friesland is how easy it is to counter it since it doesn't have torpedoes. 

I bought it straight away this morning since I have been waiting for these Bofors guns for a long time! 

In one game an Azuma managed to push a cap under fire from me, avoid citadels from my team and suddenly he was within detection range and I couldn't run from or YOLO him like I would in a Kitakaze for example... 

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
3,940 posts
4,375 battles
4 hours ago, Linkaex said:

I'm Dutch.... Just because I want to have the ship. 

I cannot play Dds any good, else I might have thought the same. At least... until I saw that pricetag...

My guess is I'll be saving up for Java or De Ruyter. But only if they are cheap.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
2,701 posts
17,832 battles

I pulled the trigger and must say I am quite satisfied so far, 3 matches and 3 losses but not due to Friesland, first match got detonated at some 12k damage :Smile-angry: but second about 67k and third 98k, not 2 shabby for a loliboat with a 6pt cap on it...

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,014 posts
13,763 battles
6 hours ago, Anymn said:

Any advices?

Friesland is a very weak ship, so if you dont have a very high frustration tolerance i suggest you keep as far away from it as spossible.

Beta Tester
480 posts
9,872 battles

One thing I do not get. People are talking about price tag?

It is for free XP, if you want you will be able to get it at some point.

Sure it will take 1k games to have 1kk free XP but are you in a hurry?

I know with all the flags you can make 10k free XP per game, but that does not happen all the time.

• Cool 2

[1DSF]
Players
137 posts
10,121 battles
10 hours ago, CptBarney said:

@Taschkent_ I summon thee!

Cus yer waifu was mentioned.

I HAVE ANSWERED THE CALL

Tashkentisthecapitalcityofuzbekistan.png.4a28c4e3dc0f0472773bcf694338bb4b.png

from my expierence the friesland isn't really a threat to the tashkent and the khabarowsk - or rather i haven't seen any capable player really defeating me.

i already killed several of them today in a 1v1 fight.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
236 posts
4,772 battles
On 9/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, Anymn said:

Any advices?

You forget a couple of very important things:

• Tashkent and Khaba can equip smoke, it's not the choice people make but still it's there
  • An alternative to smoke is a heal which the Friesland doesn't have
  • Tashkent and Khaba are way faster and can use a speed boost
  • The Tashkent actually has somewhat usable torpedos of 8 km unlike the 6 km torps of the Khaba
  • Tashkent and Khaba have 50mm armor plating that shatters most HE
  • Tashkent and Khaba have better shell velocity 

Bottom line, in a 1 vs 1 Tashkent will bitchslap the Friesland so hard it's gonna drop down to tier 8, let's not even try to compare it to the Khaba. Friesland is a very expensive one and a half trick pony. It has awesome rof and decent AA that you'll only be able to use when there are CV's in a match, that's it...

A little edit:

You might be having problems with the Tashkent and Khaba because you play them as DD's. Forget about IFHE because it doesn't do anything for you, or silly things like concealment. Focus on a double rudder build with everything else going into upping your fire chance and survivability. The Khaba is a mini cruiser...

• Cool 1

Players
7,356 posts
9,154 battles
15 minutes ago, CrniVrag said:

Tashkent and Khaba have 50mm armor plating that shatters most HE

Tashkent doesn't have armor. But unlike Kebab, doesn't eat BB AP pens.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
236 posts
4,772 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Tashkent doesn't have armor. But unlike Kebab, doesn't eat BB AP pens.

Yes, sorry I was alt+tab replying and probably even forgot how I've started the sentence with "Tashkent and Khaba" :cap_like:

[1DSF]
Players
137 posts
10,121 battles

@Anymn

it's nearly trhe same for the Khabarovsk.

many people playing the thashkent and the khaba are too afraid of loosing their ship or to focused on yolo.

Players
3,644 posts
245 battles
38 minutes ago, Taschkent_ said:

@Anymn

it's nearly trhe same for the Khabarovsk.

many people playing the thashkent and the khaba are too afraid of loosing their ship or to focused on yolo.

Do reckon there will a smoll premium tashy?

for dem credits.

*sniffs, due not being able to carry in miss ryujo*

Players
7,356 posts
9,154 battles
4 hours ago, CptBarney said:

Do reckon there will a smoll premium tashy?

for dem credits.

*sniffs, due not being able to carry in miss ryujo*

There was only one of Tashkent class built. if anything, I'd expect premium Kiev wannabe for your premium gunbote needs. And then there is Leningrab already.

Players
260 posts

My first impression after only a dozen games few days or so is that Fries vs Tashkent/Kaba 1:1 or when letting yourself be rushed will prbly be is, of course, a frustrating experience.... But then again I’m quite happy as a bag of kittens /w her (...)  AA: (a single CV hasn’t managed to get near enough to drop anything on me, yet) - well... some plane debris* XD and when used as a flamethrower or pumping 2k AP/ 1.4s into CA broadsides / BB superstructures/plating she’s fun as hell to play :)

Highly subjective and situational, of course... 

P.S.had time to play Fries and reconsider.  ...hence the strike throughs etc.  ;)

Still highly subjective - there's ships others excel in /w ease, while i declared them port queen after never getting anywhere in weeks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*)Not entirely true... but none came back for a second try ;->

Players
3,644 posts
245 battles
9 hours ago, Panocek said:

There was only one of Tashkent class built. if anything, I'd expect premium Kiev wannabe for your premium gunbote needs. And then there is Leningrab already.

We could have miss baku even if she was cancelled!

@Taschkent_ do you agree?