Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

What would you do, if it was you?

8 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles

So.

I specialized one more of my cruisers, and it's good doing what I set up to do.

But in the following game I took too long dealing with one dd and I was able to waste a very good opportunity.

At a certain point of the game I was divided between, giving cover the best I could to the IJN BB, or take maters into my own hands.

I choose the latest.

So, would you remain in cap and possible give chase to that dd? And most probably, never catch it.

Or

Would you do what I did?

20190901_042218_PGSC106-Nurnberg_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

the thing is, I could, at least entertained the dd until the end of the battle but at the same time things were not going in our favour, either way I was not able to be in two places at the same time, and at the end my decision bit me in the [edited]. 

[AAO]
Players
1,570 posts
21,008 battles

I would have done things different earlier. For one I would not have switched between targets and focused the DD asap and as long as it was spotted.

Secondly when the DD was charging in and you were in cover from the Spee i would not have kept gong south but put her in full reverse

in the hopes the DD notices too late and blunders into my hydro range so i can put him down.

For the latter part i'd have tried to use hydro to torpedo-ambush the first BB that would come around the corner and then either kite, torp-ambush or yolo the 2nd instead of rushing straight in.

[NHSOS]
Players
273 posts
10,449 battles

very bad play.

your job, as Cl, is to hunt DDs. You have rdf and hydro, u know where DD was and u run away. After GS died your job was to hunt DD until dead, but u stay behind BB and let ASHAN be a hero.

U have the most accurate Cl and u miss many shots. U must have kill GS by yourself in 1st place. U have better DPM, very good AP.

wrong use of torps. u was ready for one BB and send your torps to the other, in an attempt  without hope of hit, and u take many damage before u kill your 1st BB.

totaly wrong play.

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles

yes, that graf spee kept coming back and it was a major distraction, he could easily one shot me, I couldn't dedicated my self fully to dd hunting until he was gone, and I just couldn't find his citadel.

Next I messed up badly with that dd, he was border humping and that messed up my shots, in normal circumstances I don't miss, but that was entirely on me.

The thing I have doubts it's with my later decision.

My team was dropping like flies, we were three at the end.

Or I could go try to even out things like I did.

or I  could keep the dd at distance.

In the end, I believe my Bayern could take care of that RN BB, but there was a lose end, that freaking DD.

Despite having RPF, in one vs one, that dd could just maintaining distance from me, Nurnberg it's slow, my hydro was ending when I left cap and that IJN BB would be torped anyway because he was distracted with other ships.

I try to torped that koening anyway (I was aware of it), I shoot Bayern because was the only one I could hit, the Koening was under cover and later, at first I couldn't tell for sure if that Bayern was coming towards me or going away from me.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,123 posts
21,794 battles

To the main question: I would have pushed back the Anshan. Your Bretagne was pushing in, I would position myself between him and the DD to reward him for this behaviour. Also, it is basic teamplay. He tanks for you and shoots the BBs while you make sure the Anshan doesn't get an easy kill. The enemy BBs were all east behind the islands and they were moving south, there was no danger to push north. While pushing north you could put a couple of shots over the island into the König in mid. This would help your Bretagne and while your guns would be on the 'wrong' side the Anshan might feel safe enough to show himself. Your ship and guns turn fast enough so you would be able to punish him for that. If the König turns his guns towards you, disengage. Even if he shoots you that's one salvo less into your Bretagne who is in a much tougher spot than you.

Other thoughts:

• You show too much broadside when you clear the island in front of Spee. You repeat this mistake against Bayern and König. You were lucky you didn't get deleted at least three times (Spee was HE only, later BBs).
  • You switch to AP for Spee's broadside. Good! Otherwise he might have gotten away behind the island.
  • There is no need to kite away from Anshan. He doesn't want to be within 6 - 7 km of you, you can push him away from Bretagne so he is useless with his 8 km torpedo range. Only make sure you don't sail in a predictable way. Still, you have a much easier time dodging his torps than a mid-tier BB. It would have been beneficial for your team if you had drawn Anshan's attention and you would have kept A cap this way.
  • General tip: You scroll in and out of artillery view, this takes a lot of time. Better use shift key (I have it on middle mouse button) to be able to shoot instantly. It makes a huge difference, you will get more salvos on the DD.
  • When the Anshan ran into the border you could have blind shot him a bit. He can't leave the border so just aim on the line. In general, focus DDs asap and put all the shots you can afford into them. Every single lost HP hurts him a lot.

By countering the DD you could have saved your Bretagne and König, together you could have killed all enemy big boats with ease. The Anshan can't kill all of you on his own in time, especially when he is RPF-ed 24/7.

This is the kind of thoughts I have when I watch one of my own replays. I hope it doesn't sound too harsh, best read it in a matter-of-fact tone.

Btw, I also bought the perma camo because I love my Nürnberg. Watching you play her with such a dedicated captain (RPF yikes!) makes me feel humble. :Smile_honoring:

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles
8 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

This is the kind of thoughts I have when I watch one of my own replays. I hope it doesn't sound too harsh, best read it in a matter-of-fact tone.

Not at all.

I'm not sure if I took  the right decision and that's why I'm asking opinions.

All boils down to that remaining DD.

Sign in to follow this