You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RadioFighterYR

Colorado, you're a steaming pile of you know what...

57 comments in this topic

Players
33 posts
616 battles

So I have this turd of a ship, semi-upgraded (I need to unlock range)... I run artillery plotting room to bump range up and priority target/incoming fire alert/expert marksman/superintendent on the captain (planning to get concealment or BFT/AFT next. Which one?). Planning to not unlock range because even with a perfect aim, most of the time nothing happens because either the salvo just doesn't hit (cause you know, nerfing sigma is a great idea) or whatever hits shatters on battleships and overpenetrates on cruisers. And seeing how bad the dispersion becomes once I unlock range, I don't think I'll use it.

Seriously, MM? You think that a ship which can barely move is going to be balanced and work well fighting Tier 9 ships, the slowest of which outrun it by at least 8 knots. The armor isn't there, 343mm only exists on the very lowest part of the hull, near the waterline, everything else is 25mm which means everything that isn't a king george firing AP or scharnhorst rapes you. HE also rapes you. Range can be better than Nagato's if you spec for it but what do you need it for when you can't hit at 10 kilometers.

I tried sniping unaware ships, so at least I am not cannon fodder to anything that's too close to me. Got the middle finger and my salvo said it should shatter or miss entirely, alert the ship I am firing at, make it change its direction and do nothing. Brawling with ships that can ignore the armor everything except your tiny belt and turrets simply isn't an option, especially with that speed. Against tier 5's i feel it does at least a bit better because they have even less armor, but it's still not good. I've had like 2 or 3 decent games because luck, but.

For me, this is a bit like a prolonged M3 Lee grind. At least the Lee had decent speed and gun. I'm not sure what to do with the colorado when free XP is not an option.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Players
820 posts
3,724 battles

I enjoyed the guns of the Colorado: decently accurate and hard hitting for 8 guns. Not sure what you are talking about. Sure, it's slow as hell and can't hold a candle to T8 or T9, but every line has a stinker.

IJN used to be Izumo and that took longer to grind.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
27,448 posts
14,574 battles

She is a nice ship.

But if you cannot play her, lack situational awareness and ignore countermeasures against fires, you are screwed.

[BBMM]
Players
6,165 posts
8,094 battles
55 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Id rather have her than kgv. That ship does my bloody head in.

I'm not quite sure, actually if I had a second head I might give it a try.

It would be a close call who causes the biggest dent. 

[4_0_4]
Players
7,673 posts
14,009 battles

Leave my Colo-Baby alone if you can't use her properly.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
937 posts
9,690 battles

The Colorado is bad, and you should feel bad.

You will miss all of the important things in the battle while you struggle to do 21kn, range upgrade or not. GL hitting DDs at 15km+. Also, islands/cover are a thing. The 406 guns is the only thing Colorado got going for it, you're better off with the Nagato which can do everything better and faster while having marginally worse dispersion.

KGV->Colorado.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,112 battles
4 hours ago, RadioFighterYR said:

I'm not sure what to do with the colorado when free XP is not an option.

She works okay* in Narai - that's what I've been doing with mine....

*defined as 'not completely bl**dy awful' - there are rather better choices.

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,179 battles

Played her in the old days and found her decent ship

Nowadays will wreck all at her tier and below but will struggle one on one against higher tier bb

She is also a sucker for all tier 6 and 8 cvs so try and stick with some cv support

Personally I found the American bb line to be a nice easy balance to handle most problems but not excel at any time 

[L4GG]
Players
3,298 posts
10,918 battles

I always being curious about US BBs, and despite Colorado's 20 knots, IMHO it's not a bad ship.

this video and cv rework made me unlock the line.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/123275-colorado-youre-a-steaming-pile-of-you-know-what/

I'm at t4 right now and overall and when compared to the Germans they feel a little bit meh.

But better than IJN line, when compared with the Germans, they are strait out garbage.

But still, I haven't quit the line yet.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,121 posts
20,098 battles

Be glad you're playing her now.

She used to be way worse. Hard to imagine I know, but true nonetheless.

• Cool 2

Players
10,108 posts
11,872 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

On other hand, back then there was only Nagato to compare to her. 21kts vs 24kts didn't look so bad back then. Unlike more recent additions. But hey, until camrade Sinop none were in Big7 territory:Smile_smile:

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,121 posts
20,098 battles
30 minutes ago, Panocek said:

On other hand, back then there was only Nagato to compare to her. 21kts vs 24kts didn't look so bad back then.

Compared to the Colo the Nagato also had

+ accuracy

+ gun performance

+ armor

+ range

- AA (in an iteration of the game where CVs would nuke everything anyway)

There was literally no reason to play the Colo at all. And there really still isn't.

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,471 posts
37,166 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Her main issue are still big maps on T9 MM. That speed :fish_sleep:

• Cool 1

Players
10,108 posts
11,872 battles
53 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

+ armor

I'd say armor is slightly in favor for Colorado due to uniform 343mm belt and underwater citadel, unlike Nagato. Both overmatch each other and eat HE like there is no tommorow though

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,917 posts
12,803 battles

As others have already posted the speed can be a problem.  I still have nightmares about a battle where I was bottom tier and the only ship to spawn on one flank.  The players who spawned centrally went to the other flank and I didn't even make it to the centre of the map sailing slightly away from the middle of the map.  I was spotted and just became a damage pinatta......

The only good news is that the USA BBs get better in the higher tiers as otherwise the Colorado would stop me from progressing up that part of the tech tree.

[BS4]
Players
1,348 posts
7,467 battles
12 hours ago, RadioFighterYR said:

So I have this turd of a ship, semi-upgraded (I need to unlock range)... I run artillery plotting room to bump range up and priority target/incoming fire alert/expert marksman/superintendent on the captain (planning to get concealment or BFT/AFT next. Which one?). Planning to not unlock range because even with a perfect aim, most of the time nothing happens because either the salvo just doesn't hit (cause you know, nerfing sigma is a great idea) or whatever hits shatters on battleships and overpenetrates on cruisers. And seeing how bad the dispersion becomes once I unlock range, I don't think I'll use it.

Seriously, MM? You think that a ship which can barely move is going to be balanced and work well fighting Tier 9 ships, the slowest of which outrun it by at least 8 knots. The armor isn't there, 343mm only exists on the very lowest part of the hull, near the waterline, everything else is 25mm which means everything that isn't a king george firing AP or scharnhorst rapes you. HE also rapes you. Range can be better than Nagato's if you spec for it but what do you need it for when you can't hit at 10 kilometers.

I tried sniping unaware ships, so at least I am not cannon fodder to anything that's too close to me. Got the middle finger and my salvo said it should shatter or miss entirely, alert the ship I am firing at, make it change its direction and do nothing. Brawling with ships that can ignore the armor everything except your tiny belt and turrets simply isn't an option, especially with that speed. Against tier 5's i feel it does at least a bit better because they have even less armor, but it's still not good. I've had like 2 or 3 decent games because luck, but.

For me, this is a bit like a prolonged M3 Lee grind. At least the Lee had decent speed and gun. I'm not sure what to do with the colorado when free XP is not an option.

You've played 14 Games in her.:Smile_amazed:

This is not enough to form a solid opinion because with all due respect you are still all things considered still fairly new to this ship, still haven't unlocked all modules and probably have low captain skills to boot.

Give your self and the ship a chance. Yes she is painfully slow and IMO your correct about unlocking the range in some respects as she is VERY effective at around 10-15k., and we don't need more long range snipers in the game:Smile_trollface:

Seriously as a cruiser main I have learned to Fear this ship because if I make the slightest mistake and she's on the money and the player knows what he/she is doing, Im going back to port....

Sounds like you need to angle more and when was the sigma Nerfed for this ship?

She's solid once you get to know her because those guns .......

[THESO]
Players
962 posts
8,688 battles

Aside from being awfully/horribly/painfully slow, Colorado is a good ship. If she gets a little speed buff, she'll be a monster on her tier.... 

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles

What boggles my mind is no one seems to take her size into consideration, Colorado is not a big ship. Quite many cruisers has larger dimensions then she. Okay she's a bit "large" (broad). But her sizes makes her a wee bit better at dodging / mitigating torpedo and their damage then most other ships.

She's definitely not my favorite ship, but she has strengths and weaknesses, but she's only as good as the player that sails her

Players
7,163 posts
245 battles
4 minutes ago, Hyperion84 said:

What boggles my mind is no one seems to take her size into consideration, Colorado is not a big ship. Quite many cruisers has larger dimensions then she. Okay she's a bit "large" (broad). But her sizes makes her a wee bit better at dodging / mitigating torpedo and their damage then most other ships.

She's definitely not my favorite ship, but she has strengths and weaknesses, but she's only as good as the player that sails her

its like most murican objects in wargaming games, jack of all trades master of none (well for speed it's the worst but still.).

seems like a somewhat solid ship. california looks loike she might buffs doe.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles

The biggest issue with the Colorado is that she is far too slow for the tier 9-10 maps that she's forced into. Otherwise, she's a pretty powerful battleship.

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles
2 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

The biggest issue with the Colorado is that she is far too slow for the tier 9-10 maps that she's forced into. Otherwise, she's a pretty powerful battleship.

Is she equipped with super heavy shells or is they first seen on NC?

otherwise that would be a plus too 😊

Players
8,396 posts
9,218 battles
2 hours ago, Hyperion84 said:

Is she equipped with super heavy shells or is they first seen on NC?

otherwise that would be a plus too 😊

She doesn't get superheavy shells and no, it would not be an advantage. NC SHS cause the shells to have great vertical dispersion and decent punch, but at the cost of having an appaling 700 m/s shell velocity. Colorado guns are already very accurate and any added accuracy is not worth losing a significant amount of shell velocity. NC is better than Colorado in almost every way, but the super-heavy shells are certainly a mixed blessing.

Also because you don't need the added punch. Colorado guns already manage to decimate things anyway.

Overall, Colorado is slow, but otherwise pretty solid. Guns are accurate and certainly the one part that uptiers well (in contrast to things like Lyon where the speed is nice, but the guns certainly have lackluster punch at anything but short to medium range and can be bounced by cruisers). So when uptiered, you accompany other BBs and try to make your great main armament count. When top tier, the ship is really nice though, because at mid tiers, you are less likely to feel the speed issue on the smaller maps and you can do good numbers on all BBs that you overmatch.

• Cool 1