sathoon

3-point Izumo commander skills?

11 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
810 battles

So just picked up stock Izumo, despite the buzzing of the community that it's baaaaaaaad (but only 10k exp off hull B, so that's nice), and been getting to grips with it in training (and it's kind growing on me) before I interact with other players, and I have a burning question regarding 3-point commander skills:

I've been running Superintendent since Kongo simply because it's often recommended, my highest skill point IJN BB captain is sat at 12 points, can I safely (and temporarily) drop it in favour of Vigilance or Basic Firing Training?

I wasn't a good player years ago (RIP stats), and only marginally better now, but I've always been able to avoid torpedoes with great success, though Izumo's massive size and rudder shift time (even when upgraded) reminds me of a beached whale wearing camo paint, especially compared to Amagi or Yamato. The idea that it's a ship so thoroughly reliant on other ships for AA to keep T10 CVs at bay me feel a little naked too. but Basic Firing Training, Vigilance, Superintendent AND Basics Of Survivability (with a mind that the same captain will later helm Yamato) feels a little over-dressed when I also want points on Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention.

[MORIA]
Players
7,513 posts
37,199 battles

Izumo is a tank, can't go too close though. It doesn't need to be so close, got a lot of sigma and accuracy buffs, deck as thick as on Yamato. It's now a decent T9. Many of us remember it as terrible thing. But I myself for back to it and made a 19 point commander - it's good. To be the best effective I have a full tank build. 

Players
4 posts
810 battles
7 minutes ago, tsounts said:

Wouldn't recommend BFT for any IJN bb, SI is good to have but yes, if you have trouble with torps go for vigilance.

The usual tank build for IJN battleships is: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

Yeah that looks pretty much how I'd like my captain skills to be in Yamato, though I'm a long way off 19 points yet. Might stick around in Izumo for a while and train up my captain properly, because I'm quickly finding the traverse and shell velocity are actually very nice for hitting broadside speedsters like Iowa and Republique at range. Adrenaline rush sounds spicy on Izumo with it's big bucket of HP, and was considering picking it up immediately. Or else get a 3rd point and get Basics Of Survivability to mitigate fire damage while I'm down a repair party charge. Tough call right now.

7 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Izumo is a tank, can't go too close though. It doesn't need to be so close, got a lot of sigma and accuracy buffs, deck as thick as on Yamato. It's now a decent T9. Many of us remember it as terrible thing. But I myself for back to it and made a 19 point commander - it's good. To be the best effective I have a full tank build. 

Am starting to find that after a few test games, yes. I'm used to having the opposite problem where I felt more vulnerable to shells in Nagato and Amagi, but they could easily turn & change speed fast enough to throw off enemy CAs and DDs aim off and either mitigate or dodge through a full torpedo spread, even from a broadside angle.

But Izumo's size and turn speed gives me almost no time at all to react to incoming explode-y bois, especially once they're in the water. Enough for me to second guess Superintendent for now while I work on Izumo, and just try to swallow the doubloon cost later. I'm really tanky, but aggressive torpedoes will cut that tank down to size quickly if my allies either die or leave me exposed. But that's the duality of Random Battles right?

The gun performance feels really good, and the weird turret placement doesn't seem so bad, but it's agility is a shameful display to the IJN :Smile-_tongue:

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
353 posts
6,420 battles

Is superintended always a good use for three points in the end? One heal more and that´s it. Has anybody ever calculated that in how many games you get actual use of your last heal? Three points.. two could be used for high alert or jack of all trades and last point to perhaps preventative maintenance? Those skills are useful in every game at all times however using all 4-5 heals may be pretty rare?

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
810 battles
28 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

Is superintended always a good use for three points in the end? One heal more and that´s it. Has anybody ever calculated that in how many games you get actual use of your last heal? Three points.. two could be used for high alert or jack of all trades and last point to perhaps preventative maintenance? Those skills are useful in every game at all times however using all 4-5 heals may be pretty rare?

Honestly I kind of feel the same way sometimes: I either survive the battle and use maybe 1-2 charges, or don't live long enough for the extra repair party charge to be relevant. Long cooldown and situational use of the fighter and spotter hardly endear themselves enough to be worth Superindendent, when I could make fire burn for less time or dodge clutch torpedo salvos from up range more effectively.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,147 posts
9,005 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 9:18 PM, TohtoriP said:

Alternatively you can look at it in another way, with 1 extra heal you don't have to be afraid to use the heal to soak additional damage like when tanking instead of recovering HP in a calm position. 

Or if you put BOS vs SI, BOS works only against DoT damage that the heal also is really good at dealing with. So IMO if you have to pick one on a BB I would go for SI, but a combination of the two is always best.

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
9,118 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 10:18 PM, TohtoriP said:

On 8/31/2019 at 10:52 PM, sathoon said:

Honestly I kind of feel the same way sometimes: I either survive the battle and use maybe 1-2 charges, or don't live long enough for the extra repair party charge to be relevant. Long cooldown and situational use of the fighter and spotter hardly endear themselves enough to be worth Superindendent, when I could make fire burn for less time or dodge clutch torpedo salvos from up range more effectively.

Depends on your gameplay style and... decisions in life :)

I tend to play aggressively but near cover, so that I don't overextend. Of course the latter still happens sometimes and no heals can save me then, but if I play my cards correctly I make use of all my heals. It actually happens surprisingly often.

Only on Conqueror I can't really use the last heal. It takes longer to reload the repair party consumable and at some point you can barely heal anything (usually after the 3rd heal). The only few times a 4th heal has helped me in this ship, I was being spammed by HE spammers (and most of the HE and fire damage is easily healed).

As for the Izumo, I played it with a standard tanky build and it was all good. I actually liked the ship as it was quite accurate (though at that time it was still taking tons of HE damage from anything if meets). 

[AAO]
Players
1,578 posts
21,053 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, Jean_Bart said:

Not even a 10+ points commander would make Izumo any better!

The Izumo isn't that bad nowadays.

Spoiler

Players
4 posts
810 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, Jean_Bart said:

Not even a 10+ points commander would make Izumo any better!

I know it's performance at max range can be a little ehh, but with it's gargantuan tank it does handle stand-off engagements and kiting quite well, especially with adrenaline rush.

Shell velocity is adequate for catching faster BBs and CAs, and the super structure on hull C is a hilariously small target.

You could easily argue that Smolensk can wreck it with fire, but Smolensk can wreck anything that can't easily get out of the shell shower once it starts hitting home.

Torpedoes are a serious problem though with it's size and rudder shift speed. Found in the end it's not possible to avoid torps every time, and having Vigilance was a big deal for mitigating those situations. Taking a single torp is preferable to eating two, and it's not like other BBs don't benefit from the extra reaction time either :Smile_hiding: