You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Padds01

Increase the value of caps?

25 comments in this topic

[-LA-]
Players
685 posts
5,119 battles

NOT THIS SORT!

the ones in game ;)

it seems to me most games no one really cares , DD's run off to try and solo snag , CV's blap them , DD's cry about going off alone in a boat with no AA or health and act all shocked whent hey get blapped by CV's for the 100'th time that day. and everyone else hangs back, and who can blame them? those cap circles dont matter much or often for a game where they are meant to be the point. 

Just a suspicion the game might be a bit more "fun and engaging" if teams had an actual incentive to get involved in the fight , get people off the back border once in a while. make them worth meaningful points so they werent things you just picked up at the end once the battle was finnaly over. i mean they were there for a reason right? its why they dont use a straight up team DM mode. but are they really doing the job?

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

that might seem like a good idea - until you realise you'd still be playing with the same people on your team. So they'd still be ignoring the caps, it'd just lose you the match all the quicker. No thanks... I'd rather have a bit more time before that happens...

• Cool 2

[SUCKS]
Players
5 posts
850 battles

No bad idea to do that. i actually like playing destroyer and they have enough value already. I always play caps in my japanese destroyer. I think they generate more than enough points. Most random destroyer just need to use braincells in not being to agressive. I mostly spot a minute or 2 around the cap before going in so we know where the radars are.

[-LA-]
Players
685 posts
5,119 battles
3 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

that might seem like a good idea - until you realise you'd still be playing with the same people on your team. So they'd still be ignoring the caps, it'd just lose you the match all the quicker. No thanks... I'd rather have a bit more time before that happens...

well yes i see that, but im assuming they do it because its rewarded , damage farming till the end = best xp and credits, but if they changed it , dont you think behaviour would change?

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
18 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

well yes i see that, but im assuming they do it because its rewarded , damage farming till the end = best xp and credits, but if they changed it , dont you think behaviour would change?

No.

Because it's not even conscious with lots of people, they just don't care about the objectives and would rather that games never took place in domination settings or epicenter but just: 20m, kill all or cap single enemy base.

I rather WG made game modes optional like with tanks, so people who just like to farm can opt out of domination games all together. 

[SUCKS]
Players
5 posts
850 battles
1 minute ago, mtm78 said:

No.

Because it's not even conscious with lots of people, they just don't care about the objectives and would rather that games never took place in domination settings or epicenter but just: 20m, kill all or cap single enemy base.

I rather WG made game modes optional like with tanks, so people who just like to farm can opt out of domination games all together. 

Yes, instead of epicenter or standard battle gives us TDM or DM :P

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,145 posts
8,990 battles
38 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

those cap circles dont matter much or often for a game where they are meant to be the point. 

That's quite funny, because for the last 3 years or so games often end on points with the team that does not cap or contest often loosing most of the time. And the Standard battle just drags on and is also decided on points since one team looses some ships and then are to afraid to regain the points lead and the loose on points aswell or time.

If you want longer games increase the value of caps or points so people actually move to a meaningful part of the map.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
2 minutes ago, xMileyCyrusx said:

Yes, instead of epicenter or standard battle gives us TDM or DM :P

While I was on my break from WoWs I was playing a Battle Royal WWII naval game from steam, mechanics are not ... well it's much more simplistic as this game, but it has it's attractions.

I think I would enjoy a BR mode in this game, if the map is right ( and it's not arms race crap, just proper drops on the map where you can pick up charges for your consumables and normal upgrades for your ship ). You know, just for games in between when you're to tilted about your 'team members', you still playing WoWs but suddenly you don't have to worry about bad allies, everyone is the enemy.

Most of the time tho I actually like domination games, yes people still play static but it's less static as with standard battle before. Lowering amount off draws by winning/losing on points was also a good addition to the game. 

[SUCKS]
Players
5 posts
850 battles
10 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

While I was on my break from WoWs I was playing a Battle Royal WWII naval game from steam, mechanics are not ... well it's much more simplistic as this game, but it has it's attractions.

I think I would enjoy a BR mode in this game, if the map is right ( and it's not arms race crap, just proper drops on the map where you can pick up charges for your consumables and normal upgrades for your ship ). You know, just for games in between when you're to tilted about your 'team members', you still playing WoWs but suddenly you don't have to worry about bad allies, everyone is the enemy.

Most of the time tho I actually like domination games, yes people still play static but it's less static as with standard battle before. Lowering amount off draws by winning/losing on points was also a good addition to the game. 

Domination is my favorite, i find the other 2 modes very bad. But if they want alternate things a team deatmatch would be a way better alternitive than standard battle;

Players
285 posts
6,169 battles

There does seem to be a strange mindset amongst DDs at the moment, perhaps a hangover from the CV rework.

One battle last night saw all 4 DDs on our team head for the wings and ignore all 3 caps.

I was in Neptune and died fairly early but I had our only 2 caps and 80k damage and 2 DD kills, which wasn't that bad, indeed it was almost double second in the team so obviously the caps counted heavily.

It was symptomatic of some DD play at the moment and i know they are tough, to play I am not good in DDs having mainly played them in NA so I know how it is, but they are so reluctant to go forward.

Players
1,794 posts
19,003 battles

It would be a good incentive if the caps were more valuable, sadly post CV rework too many DD captains avoid caps like the plague. 

Players
3,864 posts
11,378 battles

WOWS Legends tried that approach and it resulted in cap spam and very short games. 8min on average and the whole WOWSL reddit cried for them to reduce importance of caps. 

Players
7,165 posts
245 battles
14 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

WOWS Legends tried that approach and it resulted in cap spam and very short games. 8min on average and the whole WOWSL reddit cried for them to reduce importance of caps. 

I think reddit should just go in binbin.

Guy on azur lane reddit got downvoted like hell just because he offered an opinon (well constructive critism that still had quite a lot of praise but still). For this fanart of yamato (it looks very good but i dislike the hairstyle and the dress, i think she be more regal and majestic with long raven black hair).

8mins is still longish, had games in world of tanks that barely lasted for 2 mins (i even contributed to those for memememes.)

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

8mins is still longish, had games in world of tanks that barely lasted for 2 mins (i even contributed to those for memememes.)

I like the longer games, they feel more tactical ( eg you have to use the strengths of your ship under changing conditions ). That's actually what makes me play this over tanks ( think close to 20k games there not sure ). 

I would dread the day my average battle time in WoWs would be 8 minutes, I would see it as a sign I need to look for other games. 

If talking about point gain for captured zones, no do not increase that. It would result in way to many steamrolls ( those dreaded 8m games.. ). Also, if you increase that you deny enemy team viable tactics. Sometimes not going for caps right away but focusing on getting kills can be a valid choice ( they have better cap contesters  but you have way more dpm ). 

If talking about the XP reward for destroyers capping, I don't see it as that bad atm but I haven't played enough games nor have I looked at any ( recent? ) trends. When I play my DD's I seem to be doing ok with what I would expect, having to basically reacquire a lot of the previous automation due to not having kept up.  

Have there been changes in the past patches with capping xp? I still end up top of/very high in team with two solo caps and a bit of dmg to enemy destroyers ( unless there is some guy with like 300k dmg on my team but yea ). 

Maybe new players aren't aware xp is awarded based on percentage of dmg done to ships, so doing 10k to each enemy dd is worth much more as 30k to an enemy battleship? ( edit: or did this change when I wasn't playing? ). 

[SHAFT]
Players
10,364 posts
9,122 battles

I dont think we need that really. Too often i see DD players just yolo die into a cap, because its a Cap!! You dont lose a game right away because you cant get that single cap. It starts to be a problem, if you cant get any cap. But average players dont understand which cap they can easily take, and which one they shouldnt touch.

Increasing rewards for capping might not get the result you hope for. Some people simply dont touch caps because they are dumb af. Will they touch a cap if they get more XP? Hardly think so, most likely they wont even get the information that it got changed.

People need to get rid of this "I need XP/Credits/whatever" so i play like a lobotomized monkey. Play properly, rewards follow easily. I play for the win - everything else will follow. If i need to cap, ill cap. If i need to kill something, ill try to do that. Its about doing the right thing at the right time.

Players
7,165 posts
245 battles
2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

I like the longer games, they feel more tactical ( eg you have to use the strengths of your ship under changing conditions ). That's actually what makes me play this over tanks ( think close to 20k games there not sure ). 

I just prefer this over world of tanks because even bottom tier you can do something and kill higher tiers and balancing isn't totally bonkers (yet).

2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

I would dread the day my average battle time in WoWs would be 8 minutes, I would see it as a sign I need to look for other games. 

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

If talking about point gain for captured zones, no do not increase that. It would result in way to many steamrolls ( those dreaded 8m games.. ). Also, if you increase that you deny enemy team viable tactics. Sometimes not going for caps right away but focusing on getting kills can be a valid choice ( they have better cap contesters  but you have way more dpm ). 

That reminds me of assualt for some reason. If you remember that game mode 10mins i think it was.

2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

If talking about the XP reward for destroyers capping, I don't see it as that bad atm but I haven't played enough games nor have I looked at any ( recent? ) trends. When I play my DD's I seem to be doing ok with what I would expect, having to basically reacquire a lot of the previous automation due to not having kept up.  

Heard capping doesn't yield much but when combined with other results helps alot (again i have no clue).

2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

Have there been changes in the past patches with capping xp? I still end up top of/very high in team with two solo caps and a bit of dmg to enemy destroyers ( unless there is some guy with like 300k dmg on my team but yea ). 

Maybe new players aren't aware xp is awarded based on percentage of dmg done to ships, so doing 10k to each enemy dd is worth much more as 30k to an enemy battleship? ( edit: or did this change when I wasn't playing? ). 

Lots of info is hidden away, its why i was a 45% winrate player in world of tanks for awhile and then moved up to 47%-48% for the most part, it wasn't until two encounters that mentioned XVM and various websites plus youtubers i would of never have gotten better (terrible game design btw for a multiplayer game).

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

This is not really hidden info, how would I know otherwise?

Capping once gave very little, then it gave way to much, then they lowered it again and that was fine. This is all public from patch notes ( but since I can't recall the patch numbers I cba to look em up it's also not that important ). 

Same thing with damaging higher tier enemies, get's you a small bonus ( and lower tier a small penalty ). At least that's how I remember. Was also a bit of a 'makeup' gift from getting up tiered, if you did well you'd be rewarded more as in same tier game. 

Sadly none of this is in the official wiki about economy ( where it covers experience ) so maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

Players
820 posts
3,724 battles

I know that it's not a popular opinion, but I actually enjoyed the caps where you could take coast batteries or an reconnaissance airport. They might have been a little too strong, but that could have been fixed.

It would have felt more like tactics than just capping imaginary points on maps.

On the other hand, why is epicenter still ingame?

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles
16 minutes ago, Myrmix said:

I know that it's not a popular opinion, but I actually enjoyed the caps where you could take coast batteries or an reconnaissance airport. They might have been a little too strong, but that could have been fixed.

It would have felt more like tactics than just capping imaginary points on maps.

On the other hand, why is epicenter still ingame?

We had Bastion years ago... *Fort killing third of the team flashbacks*

Players
820 posts
3,724 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

We had Bastion years ago... *Fort killing third of the team flashbacks*

I just started playing again after a break. And I liked the idea. But it would have been better, if the fort only had the range of the cap circle and could only target ~half of the area. Enough to still cap without getting shot at, but not ridiculous.

But I guess gone is gone.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
8 minutes ago, Panocek said:

*Fort killing third of the team flashbacks*

How about five detonations on one team in one game, just from forts... enemy team had three.