You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VeryHonarbrah

Please allow Chat banned people to talk in CB!

16 comments in this topic

Players
340 posts
11,179 battles

BACK STORY; So quick run down of the situation. I have been chat banned 3 times in about 4 years of playing the game (2 coming within the last 2 months) The last chat ban I have received puzzled me greatly, the others were probably deserved I wont denie I can be a c*nt. I have been on holiday pretty much for 2 weeks, I came back, played 2 randoms didn't say a word , then played some CB, then 2 more randoms in a cv (first cv games since the aa move to continuous dmg from flak) , where I only talked in the last game, congratulating the team since it was a good team performance (I gained karma on that night and didn't receive any reports) . I come in the next day and see that I was chat banned at 11.09 am with the (R) after the message meaning it was manual and wasn't the usual report spam that caused it. Maybe it was something before hand of the holiday that caused the ban, and it took 2 weeks to process who knows? Now to the main point bellow...

MAIN POINT; Now I don't really care that I cannot speak in team chat, it comes in handy maybe once every 20 games to communicate, and div chat is still available, but why not CB chat?  CB is hugely reliant on coms, and since I don't speak for personal reasons, I communicate to my clan mates through the chat. It feels like a huge heavy handed punishment . To offend the other team by provoking in chat would bring a bad reputation towards my own clan, and as seen in all the seasons of CB and as a unwritten rule, all chat in CB is very respectful, no one in there right mind would do so. So weegee, can we please be able to speak in CB chat at least if we are chat banned? if its a big issue in your eyes, simply make us chat banned folk not be able to speak in 'all chat' for CB games. 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

6,234 posts
10,691 battles

1. I doubt that most clans resort to the ingame chat to communicate as almost everybody has Discord/TeamSpeak/conferencecall at their disposal. Heck, we had a few clan battles with two guys simply just listening to the FC.

2. Chat banned means chat banned. Want to use chat in CB? Don't get chat banned. And yes, I'm fully aware that this means being 100% silent in random games. Imho there should not be made an exception. Mostly due to reason 1 but also: What kind of punishment would it be if the retribution would have little effect?

• Boring 1

Players
340 posts
11,179 battles
11 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

1. I doubt that most clans resort to the ingame chat to communicate as almost everybody has Discord/TeamSpeak/conferencecall at their disposal. Heck, we had a few clan battles with two guys simply just listening to the FC.

2. Chat banned means chat banned. Want to use chat in CB? Don't get chat banned. And yes, I'm fully aware that this means being 100% silent in random games. Imho there should not be made an exception. Mostly due to reason 1 but also: What kind of punishment would it be if the retribution would have little effect?

Yeah that's what I do, I sit in voice coms with the others in discord, but type instead of talk and it works perfectly. I don't see why a chat ban that was given out in randoms to 'block out' my chat from random players should stop me from communicating with people I know in my own clan. If a chat ban meant an all out chat ban why can we speak in div chat? Its a blurred line / stance on moderation. Either have it one way, or the other. In a way chat bans affect people with personal limitations may that be due to disabilities, work or other personal situations a lot more than people able to speak in voice coms. Not being able to communicate in randoms with the team itself I think is punishment enough... 

I fully understand its a issue that affects hardly anyone XD

• Cool 1

Players
1,773 posts
18,925 battles

I suppose it's part of the punishment that you loose the ability to use the in game chat in all modes, still thankfully in CB almost every clan uses some form of conference call system so it shouldn't be that big of an issue. 

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
1 hour ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Yeah that's what I do, I sit in voice coms with the others in discord, but type instead of talk and it works perfectly. I don't see why a chat ban that was given out in randoms to 'block out' my chat from random players should stop me from communicating with people I know in my own clan. If a chat ban meant an all out chat ban why can we speak in div chat? Its a blurred line / stance on moderation. Either have it one way, or the other. In a way chat bans affect people with personal limitations may that be due to disabilities, work or other personal situations a lot more than people able to speak in voice coms. Not being able to communicate in randoms with the team itself I think is punishment enough... 

I fully understand its a issue that affects hardly anyone XD

Because chatban is a punishment. Understood?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Players
3 posts
225 battles

With no intention to troll. It's kinda funny how you all missed VeryHonarbrah's main point.

You can still talk in div chat (and also in clan chat as far as I remember) so why not in CBs? 

Also, let's be honest, the automated system is inherently flawed as there are many out there who abuse the system and report someone simply because they disagree.

(Or even for being killed by said person for crying out loud...)

Censorship and forcibly silencing anyone who said anything that might have a slight chance to offend someone has never been a good solution to any problem and it clearly doesn't help with the notorious toxicity of the WoWs community.

• Cool 5

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
5 hours ago, Cpt_Goshi said:

With no intention to troll. It's kinda funny how you all missed VeryHonarbrah's main point.

You can still talk in div chat (and also in clan chat as far as I remember) so why not in CBs? 

Ha? The automatic 24h you can't talk anywhere. 

The 3 day one by WG support - yes you can talk in port and in division. 

Beta Tester
713 posts
13 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Because chatban is a punishment. Understood?

not always and not 100%. and thats why it should apply only to public channels ...

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
13 hours ago, Cpt_Goshi said:

Also, let's be honest, the automated system is inherently flawed as there are many out there who abuse the system and report someone simply because they disagree.

(Or even for being killed by said person for crying out loud...)

Except people don't get chat banned for one offence unless it really is offensive, like racist or something. Casual reporting somebody does not result in a chat ban. So getting a ban is more than being reported just because 'somebody disagreed with you'. If you want to equate banning a gobshite as censorship you are being an apologist for some the the worst people in gaming, not only for the upset and distraction to the game they cause but also for the example they set. Grow up.

• Funny 1

Players
3 posts
225 battles
11 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Except people don't get chat banned for one offence unless it really is offensive, like racist or something. Casual reporting somebody does not result in a chat ban. So getting a ban is more than being reported just because 'somebody disagreed with you'. If you want to equate banning a gobshite as censorship you are being an apologist for some the the worst people in gaming, not only for the upset and distraction to the game they cause but also for the example they set. Grow up.

Then please explain how people get banned for literally not saying anything at all.

And while you're there, please also explain how it's possible that with all the restrictions and bans the community hasn't improved one bit in the last few years.

8 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

And if you read the original pose carefully it says the ban was manual. So your point?

And you still keep ignoring the main point of the post. If div and clan chat is allowed then why not CB team chat? That is literally limited to your clanmates.

• Cool 1

Players
340 posts
11,179 battles
8 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

The main point is the punishment isn't consistent, it should only apply to public channels, and it does, however with one acceptation it affects CB, which isn't a 'real' public channel. Old CB used to be div channel, so it wasn't an issue, but now it is. I am not arguing I shouldn't be punished, but asking for a more consistent line of moderation...

Players
340 posts
11,179 battles
10 minutes ago, Cpt_Goshi said:

Then please explain how people get banned for literally not saying anything at all.

And while you're there, please also explain how it's possible that with all the restrictions and bans the community hasn't improved one bit in the last few years.

And if you read the original pose carefully it says the ban was manual. So your point?

And you still keep ignoring the main point of the post. If div and clan chat is allowed then why not CB team chat? That is literally limited to your clanmates.

Exactly my point, its not consistent moderation and as said in the original post it affects people who have certain circumstances a lot more than those without...

Players
1,717 posts
1 hour ago, Cpt_Goshi said:

should this apply:-

Repeatedly pinging the map to either :-

Harass.

Abuse.

or give information to a non team member. 

There may also be, TOS issues, incurring, more serious Ramification other than a " auto chat ban "  usually I believe taken on a " case by case " bases.

If you feel you have been wrongly or incorrectly punished, you do have the right of redress though game support, however I would " Seriously " advise a player not to " abuse this system " often it is better to let the molehill not become a Mountain.

It does not matter " Who you are " or " Who you think you are " players have been removed form the Server.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

The automated system is automated, name says it all. People abuse report function all the time, because they feel it's the only option which does anything 'usefull'.

Thing is you shouldn't be getting banned if you didn't use chat at all, as those reports are automatically discounted ( this being the case only shows community doesn't use reports the way they should.. ).

Also, since comeback time from support usually is longer as the chat ban, there is no use to appeal. Only appealing longer 'sentences' makes sense, since these are also manually reviewed and thus perhaps more prone to interpretation ( well, in some cases at least I bet ). 

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

Except people don't get chat banned for one offence unless it really is offensive, like racist or something. Casual reporting somebody does not result in a chat ban.

Yeah.... no... 

Now I haven't been chat banned in a long time, not playing has helped a lot I guess. But no, you don't need to be racist to get chat banned ( for longer as 24h afaik, since that's the time the automated system would suspend your access to the chat server ). 

edit: I been away a long time but from the response from the guys here and on discord ect I don't think this has changed... ever. 

Players
170 posts
2,867 battles

You know... From my experience... you do not get chat-banned for spreading complements and niceties.

I never got chat-banned and I'm pretty foul-mouthed, so yeah... You have to go pretty overboard to get this sort of treatment.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
5 hours ago, Cpt_Goshi said:

Because you are conveniently ignoring the fact that if somebody is playing so badly they are an embarrassment to the team they will be spammed with all the available 'reports' possible. I'm not saying it's right, but in the battle or chat and the player talks or plays like an idiot then you'll get the full-on comeback.

And in terms of hyperbole your statement that 'people get banned for literally not saying anything' is tantamount to saying 'but it was him, it wasn't me', a child's way to try and devolve blame. If people get reports against them they are coming from somewhere, and even in WoWs it is because they are so awful as a player on any level of performance or conduct the report is in frustration at their performance and/or behaviour.