You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Does Detonation Mechanic actually have any Use in this Game aside from annoying People ?

108 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,376 posts
8,212 battles

I have been Detonated rather often Lately.

And I really have to ask this. But does this Mechanic actually serve any Purpose aside from being Frustrating and Annoying ?

I mean no Offense to anyone. its not like its happening so often that I really care so much.

But not caring about it and it actually having any meaningful purpose in the Game is two different things.

So does this mechanic actually have any reason to exist beyond being annoying and frustrating and thus giving WG an option to Sell a Signal which just removes the Mechanic from the Game for you ????

Or is this Mechanic really just a sort of Middle Finger from WG to anyone who is too new to the Game as to Afford the Signals for Credits and who wont throw Gold at WG to buy Signals to make this go away ???

• Cool 6
  • Boring 5

Players
572 posts
21,722 battles
3 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Or is this Mechanic really just a sort of Middle Finger from WG to anyone who is too new to the Game as to Afford the Signals for Credits and who wont throw Gold at WG to buy Signals to make this go away ?

Yes, that's it.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,096 posts
22,156 battles

Weel, a rather frustrated and pis*sed-off enemy Bismarck player once reported me for hacking, because I had torp'd him and he detonated as a result (after only 1 torp hit). Without a doubt he was rather annoyed at the time, but on the other hand I found it absolutely hilarious. :Smile_veryhappy:

So I'd say it's something like 50-60 on that one... :Smile_trollface:

And in any case if that bothers you, there IS a Signal Flag (Juliet Charlie) AND an upgrade slot (Magazine Mod 1) you could take to deal with that problem so if you have chosen not to mount either, it is kinda your own fault after all... :Smile_great:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

the (weird and weak imho, but there you go) argument you sometimes hear in favour of it is that detonations mean no result for an engagement is ever fully pre-determined, you always have a chance no matter how much weaker your ship or how much better the other player may be... make of that what you will...

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,883 posts
14,139 battles
18 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

And in any case if that bothers you, there IS a Signal Flag AND an upgrade slot (Magazine Mod 1) you could take to deal with that so if you have chosen not to mount either, it is kinda your own fault after all... :Smile_great:

This.

Plus, it's so rare as to be largely irrelevant - I have 41 over 3,408 random battles; that's an occurrence rate of about 1.2%.

• Cool 1

Players
2,938 posts

Best way to get flag is to get detonated and since I;m always broke I kinda use some ships to get em (detos) :D

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
312 posts
39 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

So does this mechanic actually have any reason to exist beyond being annoying and frustrating and thus giving WG an option to Sell a Signal which just removes the Mechanic from the Game for you ???

It could be reworked to be more meaningful, but I don't find it particularly annoying or frustrating, tbh.  Your ship's got to have taken about half it's HPs worth of damage to ramp up the probability of a det to max levels, and all of that damage has to have been taken in the magazine area; if your ship's got a butt-ton of heals, then having an insta-delete to counter that is a defensible design decision.

What with it being trivially easy to completely negate, and it so rare as that no-one takes the other precautions to reduce the chance of it happening, I don't really think it's much of an issue.

Personally, I'd prefer it if you needed both the flag *and* the slot #1 module in order to completely eliminate the risk of a magazine on a ship carrying the +fire chance flags; balanced out with lower HE blast radius from torps, and overpens of the magazine dealing regular pen damage to magazine HP (AP that miraculously lodges in magazine should be dealing full critical damage, obv), to better reflect how magazine dets traditionally occurred (IIRC).

I'd also be tempted to lower the magazine healthpool for ships that got magazine detted historically (so Hood, Arizona, notably).

Players
572 posts
21,722 battles
15 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

it's so rare as to be largely irrelevant

That's actually a very good reason to just disable it completely (as it is in operations).

• Cool 2

[THESO]
3,376 posts
8,212 battles

Never Knew that and never had it either.

Usually when I detonate I am 100% HP or have maybe taken 1 or 2 Hits.

But guys. I asked if there was a meaning to it.

Not if you guys are bothered by it.

Also stop Recommending that Signal Pls.

Many especially New Player do not have the kind of Credits to just Afford using these Flags every Match.

So unless they Spend quite a bit of Gold on it. They cannot actually Protect themselves against this Mechanic.

Going to Repeat the Question.

Does this Mechanic have any meaningful reasoning behind it.

Or is it just a way to Annoy Players into Spending Gold to Disable it.

I got several Hundred of these Signals sitting in Store. So I could actually use it for every Match.

But I want to know if there is some meaning behind this Mechanic beside being Frustrating to Players by having them Explode Randomly.

Players
572 posts
21,722 battles
3 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Usually when I detonate I am 100% HP or have maybe taken 1 or 2 Hits.

Your HP pool must have dropped below 75% before you can detonate, but if you're in a cruiser with low max. HP, the first hit can still detonate you if it is a citadel from a BB, because detonations occure AFTER damage substraction from the hitting shell.

Players
567 posts
3,326 battles

Got detonated in Baltimore by Ohio yesterday.

Detonated a tier VI DD in the Ranger some days earlier shortly after match start.

Justice.

[MORIA]
Players
7,532 posts
37,199 battles

From the moment they gave us the possibility to buy signals for credits - it's not a big deal. I have it on almost all DDs and cruisers. So it happens to me only from torps against BB. And it's very rare so it doesn't bother so much as it was in the past. 

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,173 battles

Well, the detonation mechanic was changed a time ago. Now, you need to be bellow some particular % HP before RNG kicks.

Before that you could detonate a 100% HP BB with single shot from a puny dd gun. 

The good part is that detonation give flags. So if you ran low on those just stop using them. I personally use them only in CB and ranked. 

You can always use Magazine modification 1 on 1st slot that reduces the chance by 70%.

P. S. Could be a little annoying mechanic but that's RNG based game.  Would be far different if you had a detonation chance bar which fills up while you daka-daka and cools down when guns are silent.  

[THESO]
3,376 posts
8,212 battles
13 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

Your HP pool must have dropped below 75% before you can detonate, but if you're in a cruiser with low max. HP, the first hit can still detonate you if it is a citadel from a BB, because detonations occure AFTER damage substraction from the hitting shell.

Well that Explains why its 90% of times in DDs and Cruisers and almost never in BBs

7 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

From the moment they gave us the possibility to buy signals for credits - it's not a big deal. I have it on almost all DDs and cruisers. So it happens to me only from torps against BB. And it's very rare so it doesn't bother so much as it was in the past. 

As I said.

Dont calculate based on your own.

Your an Older Players with alot of Games.

New Players cant actually afford such Signals.

(Actually if I had to Buy them constantly I would not be able to afford them either.)

[MORIA]
Players
7,532 posts
37,199 battles
Just now, Sunleader said:

As I said.

Dont calculate based on your own.

Your an Older Players with alot of Games.

New Players cant actually afford such Signals.

(Actually if I had to Buy them constantly I would not be able to afford them either.)

Yeah I said it from my point. Newbies have a problem, they should get some help in signals purchase, some discounts etc. 

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

It's not like we didn't have this discussion a million times already ...

:cap_old:

Detonations are a way to tell you how unpredictable a battle can be. That and Wargaming really wants it in the game. So this 1,000,001st thread will not change a thing.

Players
312 posts
2 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Well that Explains why its 90% of times in DDs and Cruisers and almost never in BBs

It's for a number of reasons:
HP of the magazine is half of your ship's HP by default.  BBs have lots of health, which means their magazines have lots of health, which means there has to be a lot of damage all in the right spot in order to ramp up the probability of a detonation.
Armour schemes reduce damage different modules take from HE - BBs have lots of armour, so HE is less likely to deal substantial damage to them.

HE deals damage in a radius depending on calibre (with torps dealing massive blast radiuses), a single high-calibre HE hit to a DD is more likely to include a magazine in its radius than one on a BB.

Players
277 posts

What is this? 

bttf6.jpg

Been there as long as i remember. Definetly has it's place to show your merrit in skill and valor.

Sarcasm aside... protect your WR waifu!

[CAIN]
Players
4,541 posts
19,177 battles
4 hours ago, Sunleader said:

I have been Detonated rather often Lately.

And I really have to ask this. But does this Mechanic actually serve any Purpose aside from being Frustrating and Annoying ?

I mean no Offense to anyone. its not like its happening so often that I really care so much.

But not caring about it and it actually having any meaningful purpose in the Game is two different things.

So does this mechanic actually have any reason to exist beyond being annoying and frustrating and thus giving WG an option to Sell a Signal which just removes the Mechanic from the Game for you ????

Or is this Mechanic really just a sort of Middle Finger from WG to anyone who is too new to the Game as to Afford the Signals for Credits and who wont throw Gold at WG to buy Signals to make this go away ???

Well, it makes people happy when it happens to someone else.

I made me happy twice today, when i detonated a DD and one game later a cruiser.

So yeah, it makes the samne amount of people happy as it makes unhappy, which means there's perfect balance. No need to remove it.

Players
906 posts
10,058 battles
3 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Best way to get flag is to get detonated and since I;m always broke I kinda use some ships to get em (detos) :D

Yeah, I detonate in randoms so I have flags for ranked. 

• Cool 2