You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RevelAndQuaff

A case for a change in the Reporting / Karma system

52 comments in this topic

Players
95 posts
17,271 battles

Largely there is no official support for the reporting system, if you’ve been unjustly reported, there is ZERO recourse from WG. But I understand this point-of-view from WG, they make games as a business and don’t deal with player beefs. The Karma/reporting system is a very simply way to allow people to vent, justly or unjustly and unfortunately it’s now almost always unjustly.

WG I think it’s time for a change, please read and consider implementing.

The Karma/reporting system is unfair (we all know it and [edited] about it), you make the slightest of slight mistakes, say the wrong thing in chat, be in the wrong position, have full HP at the end of battle….etc and its -1 (x3 if there is a division), everything is wrong with that, as there is ZERO appeal. Then you can carry a team, perform super-human feats and not get a single +1. There’s nothing wrong with that, a +1 should be well earned. Which brings me to another point. I remember seeing (a few months back) a Flambass video, it’s showed a 1500+ Karma. He’s not a bad player but does anyone think he would have such a high Karma, if he wasn’t famous as a CC? I bet many people just give a +1 just because they were in the same battle and won (perhaps thinking he made the difference).  I for one don’t think so. But you prove me wrong, how many plebs (btw I mean ordinary players like me), out there have 1500+ karma?

Remember though, the karma system is unfair, no justification is needed. So if you post your high Karma, don’t expect people to like it, they will respect it even less and most likely just -1 you, if they recognise you in battle. Its human nature, get over it.

The Karma system is needed in some form or another, it feeds an automated system which does record large numbers of -1 against a players and flags that player for action; pink, orange, warnings and bans.

So I’m not suggesting its abolishment but I do want to keep the system and make it more just.

I think in most cases, in battle when a player reports another player unjustly, it is just that, one player, who is pissed about another player, whatever the reason. So let’s change the Karma system to acknowledge that.

So if you report a player and you are the only person who reported them, the report is not recognised. If however someone else reports the same player, then the player receives a -2 (or more if there are more reports). Basically there is never a -1. 

This offers a kind of justification for the report, if two or more player report, there’s far more likely to be a just reason for the report. Players can’t be spiteful, despicable and expletive deleted (if you know what I mean).

Regarding compliments, change nothing.

I think this change alone with vastly improve the system and at the same time, provide a more just system. What’s more, the implementation effort for WG would be minimal.

Regarding Karma system I have another idea. This idea will have some polarising views, no doubt.

This idea assumes that the trolls in the game values karma, I think they do, those players think only about themselves. I think WG needs to do something more about bad language, abuse and troll like behaviour in game. The recent “disable all chat” feature is a step in the right direction but a little more is needed.

We all know the Karma system is a simple number from 0 upwards. So, let Karma go negative and if you reach -50 you can only report or compliment once per day, for example.

I think if you implemented both ideas, only truly deserving players would be penalised and trolls would be kicked where it hurts the most, their potty-mouthed vote.

Thanks for reading this far, let the online vilification begin.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WTFNO]
Players
594 posts
10,341 battles
12 minutes ago, RevelAndQuaff said:

So if you report a player and you are the only person who reported them, the report is not recognised. If however someone else reports the same player, then the player receives a -2 (or more if there are more reports). Basically there is never a -1. 

Divisions...

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles

Why you’re making a big deal from it. The only thing karma gives is that if you have a high one - you get 11 reports and compliments a day instead of 7. Nothing more. I don’t remember what was the number of karma needed for this, maybe 200.

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

maybe 200.

for 11 reports/compliments? i guess it's 100 and for sure it is not more than 150

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
1 minute ago, squalus77 said:

for 11 reports/compliments? i guess it's 100 and for sure it is not more than 150

I don’t remember cause it was so long ago when I had such karma. Now I’m having 953.

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles
5 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Now I’m having 953.

I'm way too salty for such a high number ;)

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
5 minutes ago, squalus77 said:

I'm way too salty for such a high number ;)

Having that number despite playing 1700 battles on cv after rework and being also salty sometimes, and overall talking too much (people shout at me “stop spam” when I meet my old friend on the enemy team... and give chat reports :Smile_sceptic:)

if not all that I would be way over 1000 karma as my friend that has 1273...

Players
571 posts
21,615 battles
31 minutes ago, RevelAndQuaff said:

This idea assumes that the trolls in the game values karma

Does that mean you are a troll as well, because you felt the need to elaborate on karma for a whole page? This discussion comes up every now and then. Bottom line: karma is useless, just ignore it.

[ONE2]
Players
3,086 posts
22,026 battles
12 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

I don’t remember cause it was so long ago when I had such karma. Now I’m having 953.

Djaaamn boy....:cap_wander: How the heckuvabalderash did you manage to get all that?:Smile_amazed: All the while I though I'm doing quite splendidly with mere 93?:Smile_ohmy:

Alpha Tester
50 posts
11 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Why you’re making a big deal from it. The only thing karma gives is that if you have a high one - you get 11 reports and compliments a day instead of 7. Nothing more. I don’t remember what was the number of karma needed for this, maybe 200.

Karma (and related) system, when implemented correctly, can reduce the level of toxic behaviours from the community and improve the gameplay experience for everyone. You may want to look at how the honour system in League of Legends has helped to bring more positive vibes to the community.

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
1 minute ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Djaaamn boy....:cap_wander: How the heckuvabalderash did you manage to get all that? All the while I though I'm doing quite splendidly with mere 93?:Smile_ohmy:

Idk how my friend that has 9.5k battles on randoms (I have 23k+) managed to have 1273....

• Cool 1

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles

Having that number despite playing 1700 battles on cv after rework and being also salty sometimes, and overall talking too much (people shout at me “stop spam” when I meet my old friend on the enemy team... and give chat reports :Smile_sceptic:)

if not all that I would be way over 1000 karma as my friend that has 1273...

Hmm, and that's interesting and shows how great the system is as i compared your and mine general stats and they are more or less similar. 

Please forgive me for checking your stats ;)

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
Just now, divinity_123 said:

Karma (and related) system, when implemented correctly, can reduce the level of toxic behaviours from the community and improve the gameplay experience for everyone. You may want to look at how the honour system in League of Legends has helped to bring more positive vibes to the community.

Well but it’s still not. WG has to rework it... oops that word :cap_book:

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
3 minutes ago, squalus77 said:

Hmm, and that's interesting and shows how great the system is as i compared your and mine general stats and they are more or less similar. 

Please forgive me for checking your stats ;)

No problem they’re not a secret thing. It’s also about the amount of games played - I don’t play ranked so much cause it’s even more toxic and people report you for whatever reason, cause it’s a loss. As I said I’m not as salty as many players are. I’m just talking too much, which made me chatbanned few times. And playing cv too. But I try to help the team not looking at my damage so much. 

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles

playing cv too

I was never a CV player

I try to help the team not looking at my damage so much.

It depends on the team, but I guess we'll a chance to see what we do differently soon enough.

Plus looking at your number of battles I'll probably have 500ish karma at that point

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
2 minutes ago, squalus77 said:

I was never a CV player

CV and DD are the most likely to get some nonsense reports. Some people demand from you too much, especially if 2-3 people demand from you few different things at once. One says “go to cap” the other “spot” and 3rd “come back to put smoke”.... ffs. You chose to do the most suitable thing for you. You get 2 reports after battle. :Smile_sceptic:

same story with cv + pure hate for cv, no matter what you do. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,772 posts
18,925 battles

I'm not sold on the idea of reports only counting is multiple people report but I like the idea of negative karma which in turn reduces the number of reports people give. 

Still its not really worth  worrying about karma has no actual value and if it serves to let people vent at the frustration of being killed by me I would rather take the hit to my karma than get abusive messages post chat which is honestly funny but more of a distraction. 

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles
1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

CV and DD are the most likely to get some nonsense reports.

Yeah I know it works that way ;) but again what is nonsense report?

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
23 minutes ago, squalus77 said:

Yeah I know it works that way ;) but again what is nonsense report?

The one like I described before. 

27 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Some people demand from you too much, especially if 2-3 people demand from you few different things at once. One says “go to cap” the other “spot” and 3rd “come back to put smoke”.... ffs. You chose to do the most suitable thing for you. You get 2 reports after battle. :Smile_sceptic:

You can't do 3 things at one time. Some people demand / give orders and they want you to obey. I don't argue with them, I'm playing this game long enough to know that any discussion with such people won't affect or change anything. 

Players
194 posts
3,446 battles
57 minuti fa, RevelAndQuaff ha scritto:

I think WG needs to do something more about bad language, abuse and troll like behaviour in game.

They can call me ugly sono f a [edited], saying my mother was humped by a dozen of niggas, quote politics, whatever. Reporting for bad language is for soft twits and snowflakes.
The only good reason to report is for game play. fullstop.

I witnessed in ranked to enemy team been made of 2 people of the same clan and in mine one of that clan too, and this guys strove to make us lose, just to favor his two clan mates in the enemy team. He even voluntarily launched torps to me when we were just close. THESE are the kinds of behavior worth reporting, or AFK players or absolute imbecilles by any standpoint.

The karma system is quite broken but I dont see how WG may manage appeals of thousands of players just for a "-1" in karma each time.

Unless you get "red" and consequently excluded from randoms etc., just deal with it and keep playing

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,090 battles
1 minute ago, EiricBloodgun said:

They can call me ugly sono f a [edited], saying my mother was humped by a dozen of niggas, quote politics, whatever. Reporting for bad language is for soft twits and snowflakes.
The only good reason to report is for game play. fullstop.

Just give such people chat report, mute them and carry on. 

It's not for snowflakes, bad behaviour must be punished. Period. 

• Cool 2

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, RevelAndQuaff said:

Its human nature, get over it.

this is the only response needed here, really... the system is an irrelevant placebo that lets people vent and not much more, so why bother about it... just ignore it...

• Cool 2

[PRPR]
Players
49 posts
11,872 battles

The only effect of having high Karma (>110) is you can have 11x reports/compliments limit other than 7x.

If you got 0 just because you performed/chated  "badly", or you only played a new CV and focus only DDs. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[QTAZ]
Beta Tester
524 posts
16,273 battles

The one like I described before

Ok, I should phrase it a bit differently, as it was more of a philosophical question - I know what a nonsense raport is, but for some players reporting for not doing what they want makes sense...