You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DariusJacek

Is BB AP on DDs really "fixed"?

38 comments in this topic

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles

Just had a game in coop with Colorado (forgot to change to random after grinding 5oo sec hits with Bis:Smile_facepalm:) and I've one shot Leningrad with AP.

Thing is that she should not die as I've hit her with 5 shells with 10% of max damage12400 being 1240x5 Leningrad should've receive 6000 damage. 

But she went down with 15200 hp gone {screenshot).

So the question I have is BB AP really fixed or not. Was it reverted quietly? Maybe it is another feature/bug with multiple penetrations?

Or is it a speshul coop thing? :Smile-_tongue:

shot-19.08.28_23.33.50-0641.jpg

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles
Just now, nimlock said:

Enough armour to arm BB AP shells. At least this gimmick has a drawback.

But WG hard coded 10% max BB AP on DDs. Or at least they said so...

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,108 posts
7,235 battles

Even though players cannot detonate in co-op, bots certainly can. You should check the replay file in order to confirm this, as I doubt that the destroyer received triple penetrations from most of your shells.

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles
2 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Even though players cannot detonate in co-op, bots certainly can. You should check the replay file in order to confirm this, as I doubt that the destroyer received triple penetrations from most of your shells.

It could be this, no point in checking as no achievements in coop so I will not know for sure what really happened.

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles

I've checked replay 11 overpens and 4 pens on screen out of one salvo where I hit it with 5 shells.

Interesting.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,171 posts
20,121 battles

Multiple damage rolls per shell still exists. Last I heard it is marketed as a feature in fact.

So no, technically speaking they haven't fixed it.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Multiple damage rolls per shell still exists. Last I heard it is marketed as a feature in fact.

I know that it still happens sometimes, but this was brutal as :etc_swear:.

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,037 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

This. They did not need to fix BB AP pens on DDs, that is the main issue.

• Boring 1

[MORIA]
Players
291 posts
36,829 battles
3 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Yes. there are deto flags and the module.

Yes, I know...:) Good chance the Leningrad simply had a fun & engaging game, ended by a detonation

[RL7S]
Players
248 posts
3,276 battles

I'm guessing the Leningrad bot was charging head on as bots are prone to do and you hit him lengthwise so the shells passed down the length of the ship counting as an overpen in each section of the hull.

Sounds about right considering how much damage a 16in shell would do to a destroyer regardless of exploding or not if it went through the DD from bow to stern.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,837 posts
11,209 battles
8 hours ago, nimlock said:

Enough armour to arm BB AP shells. At least this gimmick has a drawback.

What gimmick??

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
Players
854 posts
17,557 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, Kartoffelmos sagte:

Even though players cannot detonate in co-op, bots certainly can.

I already suffered many detonations in coop games, you just do not get any flags for it.:fish_boom:

• Funny 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,532 posts
37,199 battles
4 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

Yes. there are deto flags and the module.

Bots don't get any achievements and they don't carry any flags/modules

@DariusJacek you sure it wasn't a detonation?

Players
277 posts
34 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

What gimmick??

DD's that are basically CL's, CA's that feel like BB's, BB's that are to good at being BB's. And they can't really make their gun handling unplayable, because anyone  will still get kills playing it like a shotgun.

1qyqwh.jpg

That's the bread and butter of soviet bias.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Players
5,979 posts
11,670 battles
9 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Players can detonate in coop. They cannot detonate in operations however.

• Cool 1

Players
5,979 posts
11,670 battles
4 hours ago, Alex_Connor said:

I'm guessing the Leningrad bot was charging head on as bots are prone to do and you hit him lengthwise so the shells passed down the length of the ship counting as an overpen in each section of the hull.

Sounds about right considering how much damage a 16in shell would do to a destroyer regardless of exploding or not if it went through the DD from bow to stern.

This is what I'm thinking must have happened. Either that or the Leningrad is not included into the 10% max exclusion zone as not all DDs are :Smile-_tongue:

This travelling through the length of the ship was also (and in my opinion incorrectly) called the AP multipen bug. And iirc this bug was never actually fixed and in some ways it's actually a feature. And a realistic one.

All ships are affected by this bug/feature btw, not just DDs.

And iirf WG was unable at the time to effectively fix this overpen bugfeature, so they went with the 10% BB thingy instead.

But if a shell pens multiple times, it can still do this amount of damage but it's very rare.

• Cool 2

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,037 battles

For the muti-pen thing, I think how it needs to happen is when the shell explodes at the precise boundary on the armor layers, it also appears to happen more frequently if the ship is pulling hard turns and u strike it during it.

Players
1,055 posts
12,153 battles
5 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

This. They did not need to fix BB AP pens on DDs, that is the main issue.

They most certainly did. In order to score for instance 3 overpens on a DD you need to hit that DD in lengthwise direction, allowing the shell to pass through three damage sections. 

If you dont hit it like that it will just count as 1 hit. 
Previously you could hit a DD with three shells and do 15k because pens would count as full pens. 
Only exceptions are the Khabarovsk and harugumo, which still take full pen damage. 

But a BB blapping a DD for 20k at once are gone times

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,393 posts
9,122 battles
1 minute ago, howardxu_23 said:

For the muti-pen thing, I think how it needs to happen is when the shell explodes at the precise boundary on the armor layers, it also appears to happen more frequently if the ship is pulling hard turns and u strike it during it.

Actually it never occured to me when a ship is moving in a straightline, but happens more frequently when its hard turning. Quite easy to test in a training room.

It also seems like, speed doesnt even matter, as i got Pen+Cit once in my Salem from a Yamato while full turning at 1/4 speed :cap_old:

Players
1,055 posts
12,153 battles
6 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

The multipen mechanic is triggered inherently often when a ship is angled under 30-60 degrees respective to your ship. The exact "optimal" angle for this to happen depends on the armour scheme of the target ship. 

But if it has weak armour its around 45deg, simply because your shells will go through the side, then through a section plate which would be tilted 45deg, counting as another 2 hits (not sure if that counts as 1 or 2), and possibly out through the other side. 

Edit: in normal gameplay situations this angle occurs often when you are turning since you normally would either go nose-in or full-broadside, but generally not expose yourself under a 45deg angle since that is a bad angle to go with (maybe okayish for DM or something)

Players
2,172 posts
13,779 battles

I am sorry guys I was tired yesterday and when I looked for multiple overpens I've seen 11 overpens instead of 1.

There was no multiple pens.

Only 1 overpen and 4 full penetrations .

4 full pens on a DD that is not Haru or Kaba (only 2 known exemptions to 10% rule)

Screenshot included. shot-19_08.29_09_14.46-0312.thumb.jpg.4b1619e564b781e37c84790655b926c4.jpg

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
Players
854 posts
17,557 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, DariusJacek sagte:

I am sorry guys I was tired yesterday and when I looked for multiple overpens I've seen 11 overpens instead of 1.

There was no multiple pens.

Only 1 overpen and 4 full penetrations .

4 full pens on a DD that is not Haru or Kaba (only 2 known exemptions to 10% rule)

Screenshot included.

Spoiler

shot-19_08.29_09_14.46-0312.thumb.jpg.4b1619e564b781e37c84790655b926c4.jpg

You still get the ribbons for a pen, but it only does 10% damage on most DDs. And the symbol in the kill message shows, that you really detonated him.

• Cool 2