Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Brabusss_

USS Somers Needs a Soft Buff

50 comments in this topic

[KES]
Players
3 posts

The USS Somers has recently been added to the game, so as a DD main I decided to check it out.

I still can't figure out what makes it a "fun and unique" ship to play because of the following:

-It is a torpedo boat with horrible gun DPM, but torpedoes don't do much damage

-It has 12 torps, which is 2 more than the gearing has in game, with almost identical torpedo reload

-It has horrible DPM, even with a gun-focused build you can only get the reload down to 4.8s before AR hits in (about 60k HE dpm)

-Its concealment is nothing impressive at 5.8 it's around the average mark, getting outspotted by shimakaze and legendary module gearing

-It has a small HP pool so getting close with that concealment is risky if you want to invest commander points in something other than survivability expert, but then you risk losing out on damage potential by missing out on things like torpedo armament expertise or BFT

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible ship, but I believe it deserves a soft buff. Closest ship to compare it to is the shimakaze, which has the option to slot 1 of 3 types of torpedo and they all do damage that exceed 20k per hit.

I think Somers could benefit from a soft buff, maybe take the concelament down to 5.7 or buff the hp pool or torpedo reload slightly. In its current state, I don't think it's worth its steel.

• Boring 2

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

A bit early for that.

In the few battles that were played, she outclassed any other DD.

Most of these battles were played before the heavy nerfs to torpedo and gun reload. 

As it stands, the ship looks very balanced, but also very boring statswise.

Guns are weaker than on Shima, but the torps are actually better overall. 

While that can be seen as a good thing, people are if course wondering why they should spend that much steel on it. 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
27,263 posts
14,525 battles
Just now, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

That was before the heavy nerfs to torpedo and gun reload. 

As it stands, the ship looks very balanced, but also very boring statswise.

While that can be seen as a good thing, people are if course wondering why they should spend that much steel on it. 

The stats are from after release.

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

The stats are from after release.

Then you should make clear what stats you are even referring to next time. 

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
1 minute ago, NothingButTheRain said:

How does Somers compare to the Benham btw?

Much much slower torpedo reload for more range and a bit better alpha. 

Guns are just a little bit better. 

• Cool 1

Players
5,979 posts
11,609 battles
9 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Much much slower torpedo reload for more range and a bit better alpha. 

Guns are just a little bit better. 

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles

The problem for me is that Somers doesn't bring anything really new to the table.

Maybe the small size, but that's about it for me (it is very slim, which should be nice for dodging CV rockets). 

I have enough steel for 2 more ships and I am still not touching it. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[HEROS]
Beta Tester
161 posts
10,461 battles
1 hour ago, Kro1777 said:

Its concealment is nothing impressive at 5.8 it's around the average mark, getting outspotted by shimakaze and legendary module gearing

So two tierX dds can outspot you, one with legendary module and You call it average?? Thats just dumb. 5,8 spot is outstanding for stealth torping with great torpedo concelment.

1 hour ago, Kro1777 said:

It has a small HP pool so getting close with that concealment is risky if you want to invest commander points in something other than survivability expert, but then you risk losing out on damage potential by missing out on things like torpedo armament expertise or BFT

Yes, you should get survivability on tier X dd, epsecially if you own Ovechkin captain.

And BTW after watching your in-game stats, You make same dmg on Shimakaze and Daring. So, are those two need "soft buff" or you just angy that you didn't get OP ship for your steel?

[ATAC]
Players
2,297 posts
9,451 battles
3 hours ago, Kro1777 said:

The USS Somers has recently been added to the game, so as a DD main I decided to check it out.

I still can't figure out what makes it a "fun and unique" ship to play because of the following:

-It is a torpedo boat with horrible gun DPM, but torpedoes don't do much damage

-It has 12 torps, which is 2 more than the gearing has in game, with almost identical torpedo reload

-It has horrible DPM, even with a gun-focused build you can only get the reload down to 4.8s before AR hits in (about 60k HE dpm)

-Its concealment is nothing impressive at 5.8 it's around the average mark, getting outspotted by shimakaze and legendary module gearing

-It has a small HP pool so getting close with that concealment is risky if you want to invest commander points in something other than survivability expert, but then you risk losing out on damage potential by missing out on things like torpedo armament expertise or BFT

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible ship, but I believe it deserves a soft buff. Closest ship to compare it to is the shimakaze, which has the option to slot 1 of 3 types of torpedo and they all do damage that exceed 20k per hit.

I think Somers could benefit from a soft buff, maybe take the concelament down to 5.7 or buff the hp pool or torpedo reload slightly. In its current state, I don't think it's worth its steel.

It's a decent ship. For me clearly worth the steel. 

Screenshot_20190828-222154.thumb.png.8cb3b3b11dd495507253ca9b7c7c87c4.png

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,123 posts
21,794 battles

For once we get a new ship that isn't OP and people whine. :Smile_sceptic:

She is fine and fun to play.

• Cool 8

[KES]
Players
3 posts

It's not the fact that she isn't OP, it's just as Helmut_Kohl mentioned earlier; she brings nothing new.

Maybe soft buff isn't the answer but still, I struggle to see what could make her more effective as her own ship. So far I've tried a bunch of different builds and the one I'm settling for atm is torpedo armament + bft + gun reload mod in slot 6 and it seems to be working for me now. She has better guns than shimakaze which is the only positive angle I see on why I wouldn't take shimakaze over her, but is less stealthy.

Maybe I titled/approached this discussion wrong, I just didn't feel like she was too unique/impressive as a steel ship.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
2,813 posts
16,926 battles
6 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

For once we get a new ship that isn't OP and people whine. :Smile_sceptic:

She is fine and fun to play.

Or it doesn't have gimmicks :cap_haloween:

@Kro1777 if you want stronk and unik ships: buy the RU ones komrad.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
2 hours ago, Kro1777 said:

Maybe I titled/approached this discussion wrong, I just didn't feel like she was too unique/impressive as a steel ship.

That's why for me it's not so much worth it. It should be for coal, while Smolensk should be for steel. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
9 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

That's why for me it's not so much worth it. It should be for coal, while Smolensk should be for steel. 

Yes, but that would have been Stalingrad 2.0, as the ship is massively overestimated by the BBabies.

Players
3,060 posts
19,491 battles

Isn't it a premium ship? Why would you need something 'new' from it, the game is already riddled with weird gimmicks, it's time to put that :cat_cool: to rest. You get to sail a tier X premium dd for no monetary cost other then ingame earned currency. Good enough i'd say.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
4 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Isn't it a premium ship? Why would you need something 'new' from it, the game is already riddled with weird gimmicks, it's time to put that :cat_cool: to rest. You get to sail a tier X premium dd for no monetary cost other then ingame earned currency. Good enough i'd say.

For many of us 20k steel are actually much harder to acquire than 100 Euros.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
33 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Well at least you didn’t put 300€ on Colbert like some guy did.... :Smile_child:

Players
3,060 posts
19,491 battles
2 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

I hardly acquire steel at all. Still doesn't warrant steel ships to be slightly OP / special / new enough for them to 'be worth it'. Want a premium tier X without spending a dime? Play clan stuff or suffer the horror of ranked BS and earn it. Want a slight OP ship to make it special? No. Really. If it works like that i want all my cash bought premiums to be OP as well, luckily only a couple are.

I understand the want for different playstyles, but if a ship is balanced and fine, it's good as it is. You get a premium tier X. Go play it and enjoy the economics of it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
5 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I hardly acquire steel at all.

No wonder you don't want to be special then.

But the people who put in the effort do.

• Bad 1

Players
3,060 posts
19,491 battles
4 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

No wonder you don't want to be special then.

But the people who put in the effort do.

Your reason to want a better Somers - omg i put so much effort in this game - is not a enough reason to warrant additional treats. Economics is a good enough reward.

If that reward isn't worth it to you, don't put the  effort in. Simple.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,686 battles
1 minute ago, Europizza said:

Your reason to want a better Somers - omg i put so much effort in this game - is not a enough reason to warrant additional treats. Economics is a good enough reward.

If that reward isn't worth it to you, don't put the  effort in. Simple.

I will give your try to twist my words from special/unqiue into better/stronger a 3/10.

Sign in to follow this