You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ClappingLollies

When will the Smolensk be removed from the Armory?

44 comments in this topic

Players
1,910 posts

I ask this because i'm just missing a few coal to get it. We all know how broken it is and i believe it will be a must have if T10 clanwars ever come back. If it stays, it's 100% clear Russian bias, if not i wanna know how long i got to get it. 

:Smile_honoring:

BTW. How did that ship even get trough testing in the first place? :Smile_veryhappy:

@Tuccy @MrConway @Crysantos

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
10,364 posts
9,122 battles
3 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

BTW. How did that ship even get trough testing in the first place? :Smile_veryhappy:

Its only impotant that its number 1 in stats (unless another russian ship is first, then  2nd place is ok aswell). Then its balanzed :Smile_trollface:

Alltho im not sure if its really a good ship for CBs? Stalingrad like to have a word with radar and smolensk being relatively squishy.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
27,475 posts
14,582 battles

Probably not in the next 6 month!

Congratulations for being special that you need your own thread :Smile_great:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

Players
1,910 posts
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Its only impotant that its number 1 in stats (unless another russian ship is first, then  2nd place is ok aswell). Then its balanzed :Smile_trollface:

Da:Smile_trollface:

1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Alltho im not sure if its really a good ship for CBs? Stalingrad like to have a word with radar and smolensk being relatively squishy.

Not 100% sure either. Only time will tell. But It seems to be insanely tanky against my Stalingrad. I just overpen it no matter what. Unless i catch one sitting full broadside pretty close in smoke. 

2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Probably not in the next 6 month!

Congratulations for being special that you need your own thread :Smile_great:

Thanks for the input Pete. But i'm guessing you are just guessing right now. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

Morten, are not not a bit a BB main? Just asking for a friend. 

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[KAKE]
Players
2,665 posts
6,404 battles

I don't know, but I figure it will happen long before the Yoshino is removed. So I spent the coal and coupon I'd been planning on using for that on the Smolensk instead :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
1,910 posts
12 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

Morten, are not not a bit a BB main? Just asking for a friend. 

:Smile_trollface:

There was a time where i was a DD main, but i play all classes about the same these days. So i don't know what i am anymore. 

I have no identity. :Smile_ohmy:

2068813899_BBmain.png.0e92be72b830c0111f358fdb992da725.png

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

My friend feels satisfied knowing you're not a BB main, thank you. Now the thread can be kept open since it's not a duplicate. 

• Cool 1

Players
565 posts
3,326 battles
2 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Is this ship that "perfectly balanced" ? 

I blew my coal on Yoshino so it'll be a while :Smile_smile:

You consider the coal blown? I purchased Yoshino and skipped Smolensk on purpose, because I did not want to hop / support (on) this "Very good, need to get, of course Russian ship" bandwagon. I would be average with both of them anyway, but just like the look and gadgets of the Yoshino. And the x2 health pool of the Yoshino is more suitable for my playstyle.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles
15 minutes ago, Von_Pruss said:

You consider the coal blown?

No not really blown, dont regret it one bit, i wanted the B65 ever since Azuma was anounced, and well... Yoshi is better :Smile_Default:

Beta Tester
3,342 posts
14,821 battles
1 hour ago, MortenTardo said:

I ask this because i'm just missing a few coal to get it. We all know how broken it is and i believe it will be a must have if T10 clanwars ever come back. If it stays, it's 100% clear Russian bias, if not i wanna know how long i got to get it. 

:Smile_honoring:

@Tuccy @MrConway @Crysantos

• Bow and stern armor of 16mm mean you don't only get overmatched by BBs, but also by AP from Henri, Stalingrad, Yoshino, TX Alaska thing.

• 130mm guns mean even with IFHE you can only penetrate the nose of most cruisers you face with HE. That is not easy to hit.

Maybe we will see it, but it will certainly not a must have.

[CAIN]
Players
4,532 posts
19,163 battles
6 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Did you see what WG @Sub_Octavian posted on Reddit in latest Q&A (I re-posted it in main "Smolensk" thread)... :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

Can you pls post a link to this particular post? 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,502 posts
16,010 battles

Hi all,

3 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Can you pls post a link to this particular post? 

Here:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

Players
1,910 posts
40 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

• Bow and stern armor of 16mm mean you don't only get overmatched by BBs, but also by AP from Henri, Stalingrad, Yoshino, TX Alaska thing.

• 130mm guns mean even with IFHE you can only penetrate the nose of most cruisers you face with HE. That is not easy to hit.

Maybe we will see it, but it will certainly not a must have.

Believe me. We will see plenty of them. 

Beta Tester
3,342 posts
14,821 battles
2 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Believe me. We will see plenty of them. 

That doesn't mean they are strong. 

And why should I believe you? You haven't presented any argument yet, nor do you have a lot of experience in competitive. 

Players
1,910 posts
24 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Here:

Leo "Apollo11"

So it might get nerfed in the future. But since this is a Russian ship we are talking about its going to be something dumb. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,910 posts
1 minute ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

That doesn't mean they are strong. 

And why should I believe you? You haven't presented any argument yet. 

Do you really need me to present arguments for why the Smolensk is going to be good in clanwars? Really? 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,342 posts
14,821 battles
9 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Do you really need me to present arguments for why the Smolensk is going to be good in clanwars? Really? 

I provided arguments why it is not. 

But obviously you got none.

Also keep in mind that currently there is T8 CW, but the top clans don't field a lot a Kutuzovs (eventhough they have enough HE penetration, which Smolensk does not).

The reason is that Kutuzovs are very unflexible and rely on stupid enemies who do not have a way to either disengage or counter-smoke/radar.

At TX we are talking about 12 km radars and cruisers that can citadel Smolensk through the bow, making it even worse.

• Funny 1

Players
1,910 posts
5 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

I provided arguments why it is not. 

But obviously you got none.

Also keep in mind that currently there is T8 CW, but the top clans don't field a lot a Kutuzovs (eventhough they have enough HE penetration, which Smolensk does not).

The reason is that Kutuzovs are very unflexible and rely on stupid enemies who do not have a way to either disengage or counter-smoke/radar.

At TX we are talking about 12 km radars and cruisers that can citadel Smolensk through the bow, making it even worse.

Nono. I will its just that i am on my phone atm and cant be asked to pull up stats for you on the phone. 

This is like the repeat of the Stalingrad arguments. 

"no one will pick it because it has a huge citadel and worse HE DPM than Moskva". We all saw how that worked out. And i actually did not say i told you so to all those people then. But oh i will now. :Smile_glasses:

Im not saying you are wrong. Maybe it wont be a pick for clans. But you cant sit there and say im wrong either. Because we dont know yet. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,342 posts
14,821 battles
13 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

This is like the repeat of the Stalingrad arguments. 

"no one will pick it because it has a huge citadel and worse HE DPM than Moskva". We all saw how that worked out. And i actually did not say i told you so to all those people then. But oh i will now. :Smile_glasses:

Im not saying you are wrong. Maybe it wont be a pick for clans. But you cant sit there and say im wrong either. Because we dont know yet. 

Stalingrad has one important thing going for it, which is improved AP angles at long range, making it hard for the enemies to stay angled.

That is why you usually see one Stalin per team.

But for the other ships you want something like Henri that is flexible and can provide consistent DPM output.

If Moskva had these AP angles, it would actually be the better pick because of that.

Smolensk only has the Smoke going for it compared to let's say Henri or DM or even Worcester. 

But that makes it an unflexible one-trick-pony. And the smoke can also be provided by a USN DD if you really need it.

Again, I am not saying we won't see it, just that it will not be a must-have.

Players
1,910 posts
3 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Stalingrad has one important thing going for it, which is improved AP angles at long range, making it hard for the enemies to stay angled.

That is why you usually see one Stalin per team.

But for the other ships you want something like Henri that is flexible and can provide consistent DPM output.

If Moskva had these AP angles, it would actually be the better pick because of that.

Smolensk only has the Smoke going for it compared to Henri or Worcester. 

But that makes it an unflexible one-trick-pony and that smoke can also be provided by a USN DD if you really need it.

Mmmmhm. Keep going. Its not like i said all that about Stalin ages ago. 

Glad you finally cought up btw. Thaks for confirming my point. A bit late, but better late than never i guess. 

But you claim you know Smolensk 100% wont be a pick for most clans that have it if T10 CBs come back? Can you answer that straght out? I just want to quote you with it later. If you don't there is no point even talking to you about this at all. Then you are just trying to prove points without any factual data. 

• Bad 1

Weekend Tester
824 posts
9,478 battles

Well, I just bought mine - just to be on the safe side.

However, with my experience of WG products, my purchase is usually an indication that the thing will be nerfed heavily before I get to play it. (Guess who finally ground out his T110E5 the day before it went from super-OP to near-useless....?).

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
3,342 posts
14,821 battles
17 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Mmmmhm. Keep going. Its not like i said all that about Stalin ages ago. 

Glad you finally cought up btw. Thaks for confirming my point. A bit late, but better late than never i guess. 

What are you even talking about?

People here (probably including you) where saying it is the same as a BB (not understanding that what makes the BB stand out is the AP overmatch, which Stalin only has against the noses of Mino and now Smol/Col).

And they were claiming we would only see teams full of Stalins now.

But you were dead wrong - instead the Henri is the ship you want to have multiple of, for the reasons I stated above.

But you claim you know Smolensk 100% wont be a pick for most clans that have it if T10 CBs come back? Can you answer that straght out? I just want to quote you with it later. If you don't there is no point even talking to you about this at all. Then you are just trying to prove points without any factual data. 

I say straight out it will not be a must-have.

You will see a lot of good clans without it.

Unless the IFHE change does something strange.