Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gezmoor66

Pay to change in game name?? Really??

23 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
538 battles

As per the title. Seriously? what kind of a joke is this? Never heard something so ridiculous as to have to pay, potentially REAL MONEY if you didnt know what you were doing as a newbie when first logging in the game, to change a username!!

SERIOUSLY UNIMPRESSED!!!

• Funny 2
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
27,467 posts
14,582 battles

Other games do this for over a decade... :cap_old:

It is to prevent players changing their names all the time. Imagine a player changing his name a couple of times per day...

• Cool 4

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
13 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It is to prevent players changing their names all the time. Imagine a player changing his name a couple of times per day...

How about a name change, followed by a period of time when you're unable to change it? Say, a month, a year...more maybe?:cap_yes:

[CATS]
Players
27,467 posts
14,582 battles
  • it would not discourage the first name change
  • some people would still maximize the number of free name changes
  • Cool 2

[4_0_4]
Players
7,673 posts
14,009 battles
3 hours ago, gezmoor66 said:

As per the title. Seriously? what kind of a joke is this? Never heard something so ridiculous as to have to pay, potentially REAL MONEY if you didnt know what you were doing as a newbie when first logging in the game, to change a username!!

SERIOUSLY UNIMPRESSED!!!

Think first before typing your name.

• Funny 1

Players
194 posts
3,446 battles
Alle 25/8/2019 alle 22:36, ColonelPete ha scritto:

couldnt't say it better. All games work this way since long.

Btw I still don't know how to do it here

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,784 battles
On 8/25/2019 at 11:36 PM, ColonelPete said:

Not "players" but the "poor players". 2500 doubloons price tag is nothing for most people. Basically it's another way to milk people so please don't bs us with an excuse like that.

[CATS]
Players
27,467 posts
14,582 battles
2 minutes ago, Jandarid67 said:

Not "players" but the "poor players". 2500 doubloons price tag is nothing for most people. Basically it's another way to milk people so please don't bs us with an excuse like that.

You are saying the number of name changes would not increase if they were free?

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,784 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

You are saying the number of name changes would not increase if they were free?

Make it a "name change per year or two" then the problem solved. I don't know what's the "BIG" deal with changing names anyways. You can do it many places for free but they are limited (time, numbers etc.) ofc.

So if it was that much problematic they would remove the option to change name, if not then they could have limited it but putting price tag (which is quite affordable for most) on it simply proves the greed nothing else sorry.

[CATS]
Players
27,467 posts
14,582 battles
1 minute ago, Jandarid67 said:

Make it a "name change per year or two" then the problem solved. I don't know what's the "BIG" deal with changing names anyways. You can do it many places for free but they are limited (time, numbers etc.) ofc.

So if it was that much problematic they would remove the option to change name, if not then they could have limited it but putting price tag (which is quite affordable for most) on it simply proves the greed nothing else sorry.

So it is a problem.

Yes, offering a limited number of changes would have a similar effect, but it is a service. A service costs money.

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,784 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

So it is a problem.

Yes, offering a limited number of changes would have a similar effect, but it is a service. A service costs money.

Yeah! That's my point. Gotta milk every single drop of it .

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
On 9/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, Jandarid67 said:

Yeah! That's my point. Gotta milk every single drop of it .

2500 doubloons isn't exactly milking the player but something needs to be in place to stop vexatious name changing both in-game and in the forum. Players identities should be consistent to avoid the 'who was that masked man?' situation where they interject themselves into the game or the forum, do and say outrageous things, and then just change their name to cover their tracks. Above all when people get to know each other on the forum, or in their Clan, or meet randomly in the game, it becomes a society that tends to behave slightly better than anonymous people do. Casual and easy switching of names would be open to abuse far beyond a bit of in-game or forum trolling with the potential for outright deceit or worse. And while it's understandable that players can make a mistake in choosing a name in normal life you have to stand by the mistakes you make, it's part of growing up.

• Cool 1

[1292]
Players
46 posts
3,784 battles
5 hours ago, 250swb said:

2500 doubloons isn't exactly milking the player but something needs to be in place to stop vexatious name changing both in-game and in the forum. Players identities should be consistent to avoid the 'who was that masked man?' situation where they interject themselves into the game or the forum, do and say outrageous things, and then just change their name to cover their tracks. Above all when people get to know each other on the forum, or in their Clan, or meet randomly in the game, it becomes a society that tends to behave slightly better than anonymous people do. Casual and easy switching of names would be open to abuse far beyond a bit of in-game or forum trolling with the potential for outright deceit or worse. And while it's understandable that players can make a mistake in choosing a name in normal life you have to stand by the mistakes you make, it's part of growing up.

I agree on the part that unnecessary name changes must be stopped but a name change history plus limit on the name change will most likely suffice. Asking for money to change your name is plain greedy and won't stop people to change their names. I won't be changing my views on that subject. Because there are lots of people who can spend 6-7 bucks on a name change if they really want it.  Not to mention there are tons of other platforms where you are able to change your name and they are not doing a bad job because they actually have limits on those options. This is why I have also said;

On 9/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Jandarid67 said:

Make it a "name change per year or two" then the problem solved. You can do it many places for free but they are limited (time, numbers etc.) ofc.

I also agree that we should stand up by our mistakes but mistake is not the only reason why people change names. Some people like to change nicknames often because they are bored of it. It's like two dudes buying cars. One of them uses that one car for 20 years the other one changes to another car every year. It's not a mistake it's just modality. 

Players
2,162 posts
4,794 battles
On 9/28/2019 at 8:50 AM, 250swb said:

And while it's understandable that players can make a mistake in choosing a name in normal life you have to stand by the mistakes you make, it's part of growing up.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jandarid67 said:

I also agree that we should stand up by our mistakes but mistake is not the only reason why people change names.

There is a case to be made that some people might have wanted a certain name to begin with, but due to it being unavailable at the time they had to settle for something else.

Using myself as a case in point: I am LOZFFVII. That has been my username since first signing into Youtube all of 13-or-so years ago, back when I was heavily into The Legend Of Zelda and Final Fantasy VII. Captain_LOZFFVII is what I was forced to go with because someone was already using LOZFFVII when I first tried sigining into WoWS three years ago.

Honestly, I have considered changing my name multiple times since, but seeing as I have no way of knowing if 'LOZFFVII' is free now, I'm loath to spend my doubloons before doing so.

[4_0_4]
Players
7,673 posts
14,009 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

Honestly, I have considered changing my name multiple times since, but seeing as I have no way of knowing if 'LOZFFVII' is free now, I'm loath to spend my doubloons before doing so.

Bother Support with that :Smile_hiding:

Players
2,162 posts
4,794 battles
1 hour ago, Zemeritt said:

Bother Support with that :Smile_hiding:

...We'll see.:Smile_hiding: (Assuming I can be bothered to get off my lazy @$$ and do something about it)

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,131 posts
21,898 battles
13 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

but seeing as I have no way of knowing if 'LOZFFVII' is free now

Can't you just attempt to make a new account and check if the name is free? I just tried to make a new account in an incognito tab, LOZFFVII is free.

• Cool 1

[4_0_4]
Players
7,673 posts
14,009 battles
2 minutes ago, LOZFFVII said:

@Zemeritt @Ze_Reckless

:Smile_great:

Feels weird, man, I've gotten so used to seeing 'Captain_LOZFFVII' at the top of my posts...

Now just update your signature. :Smile_hiding:

Players
2,162 posts
4,794 battles
Just now, Zemeritt said:

Now just update your signature. :Smile_hiding:

Yeah, apparently it takes a server reset/update to change my name in-game, so it'll be a little while before that will be updated...

[M_OB]
Players
16 posts
14,362 battles

I think that any player that hasn't logged into their account for over a year should have their username replaced with a unique number to free up their username for the players who actually play the game. The name I want is unavailable and the player who has it hasn't played a single battle since signing up in 2016 and hasn't logged in since.

[4_0_4]
Players
7,673 posts
14,009 battles
6 hours ago, Cr4zySmurf said:

I think that any player that hasn't logged into their account for over a year should have their username replaced with a unique number to free up their username for the players who actually play the game. The name I want is unavailable and the player who has it hasn't played a single battle since signing up in 2016 and hasn't logged in since.

Maybe ask the support? Maybe then might help, but not sure about that.

Sign in to follow this