You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JarrusJenkins

How do you actually play a Battleship?

74 comments in this topic

[COR3]
Players
1,324 posts
12,883 battles
On 9/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, LoveYouTooBuddy said:

I read all the comments. A lot of very interesting advices are given here in my opinion. I just have one thing to add. If you are getting a lot of bad games in a row, not having fun, loss after loss and so on... stop playing for the day and get some rest.

Very sound advice.

• Cool 1

Players
352 posts

BBS are afraid to tank because positioning is very hard and people will most likely chose a poor position than a good one. 

As as for the squishy CA, that’s true but when 2 Smolensk , a zao, a Salem and haragumo target you,then it's game over so people find it easier to sit back.

Not only the fires,the damage to firerate ratio is also strong. Getting hit for 2-4k damage by a des monies constantly is no fun considering you just shot back and you overpened 3 hits and hit one for 5k with a 25 sec reload.

yes positioning and not overextending is key but it’s harder to do in practice than on the forum.

• Cool 1

Players
6,579 posts
245 battles

the key is not to rush into position and overextend but not to uselessly sit at the back doing nothing, make sure you set yourself up so that you can effectively change course when you need to so that you can avoid dying (so turning into an island to break line of site etc).

although all of that is pointless if your team is utter trash, so the only thing you can do basically is farm damage and kill as many ships as possible (unless the enemy decides they don't like winning anymore and choose to basically throw the game for their team).

Players
106 posts
3,050 battles
On 8/25/2019 at 9:09 AM, Barracuda_111 said:

Its a long time since I played a Monarch I feel a Monarch Challenge on The Horizon 

image.thumb.png.1a178ff2cfa4715089c6e0a2f4b19abc.png

11 Mill thats 500 consumables Not sure I am that interested 

bringing up an old post.... did you ever do it just out of interest? I've recently bought Monarch again and its not that bad actually.... it does need a pen buff or just needs normal AP imo

Players
65 posts
6,846 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, Lebedjev said:

Lean2play ?

Because if you really want to sit back take a long range cruiser, but if you really want to play a BB ask you a simple question.

If i don't tank (because reason) for the team, who will be ?

BBs don't tank nowadays. Give us double the HP, and nerf the accuracy for those shooting inside a smoke, and then we'll talk. 
As for the OP, today the best way is 'ish' like a CA. Take cover, always have a plan B, and never go into open waters. Snipe is not a good option either, as RNG f'cks you up usually. You can tell a lost game at the start (same in WoT), by the accuracy of your guns.

[QARTV]
Players
455 posts
8,800 battles

BBs are different. In some you can push more in some less in some better not push at all. Games are different, in some you can see what team is doing and can support them and they will support you (very rare it is indeed), more often you can just forget about team, they let DDs flank you, they will not spot, i could go on forever. 

If you want best BB atm Kremlin is your go to guy, he is as close to indestructible as you get in this game. If you want cruiser with large HP repair and decent damage from range take conq (imho at this state of game it is best thing, because you can troll HE spammers by going dark, nothing pisses them off more then that also you can repair a lot of fire damage) Kurfurst and Republic are more of a close range brawlers that can get burned by 1 Smolensk if not careful faster then you can say nerf that fng smolensk. Yamato and Monty are a bit of everything, cant speak about others. 

But truth is that most of game is dependent upon team and your map awareness. You have to try and understand where what ships are, where DDs were spotted, where are HE spamers and where they can reach you etc. And it is never a good idea to go alone anywhere until endgame where all dds are either dead or opposite side of map. remember also that you can cap as BB, no need to try and fire that 24 km lucky shot when you can stay hidden, cap zone and win game that way. 

Etc....

[NAN0]
Players
252 posts
1,847 battles
On 8/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, Barracuda_111 said:

Because hopefully it teaches a player , how to manage your battle ships servivability ( not to panic when flooding or on fire etc ), and gives a player an incite into advanced battleship positioning techniques under real time battle conditions ( no co-op )   using your map tools to help you with map awareness, allowing a player to manage there game economy with in a less expensive game. 

It also gives a player an incite to the " line of battleships " that suits there " game play " with in the lines unique perceived properties, where by they do not use a lot of there games money on higher tier ships. ( how not to waist money )    

Yeah....have fun with that. Double cv games and ships with poor AA.

200 games will make a sane person quit, not get better at battleships. You gotta be some masochistic zen monk to endure that crap lol.

Did you follow your own advice ? Im just curious.

• Cool 2

Players
223 posts
4,819 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, Barracuda_111 said:

...So,

Start ar T3, and do not move to T4 until you have played 200 games at T3,  then do not move to T5 until you have played 200 games at T4, blar blar blar...

although i can see your point and agree, building a good commander is a great thing i can absolutely NOT recommend playing anything at Tiers 3-4-5. especially not battleships. no matter the nation. all have literally zero AA and will be farmed by statpadders in carriers. it's not unusual to see 2-3 carriers per game. in that case you can kiss your stern goodbye, as you won't even make it to the fight. you'll get sunk halfway there..

• Cool 2

Players
3,032 posts
On 8/24/2019 at 9:34 PM, El2aZeR said:

Learning how to play in low/mid-tiers would be a good thing for starters.

The Nassau comes to mind as this apparently forces you do do something other than long range snipe (a CC said that, so it must be right:Smile_veryhappy:) but other wise,angle, never show broadside, push forward, kite back, never be afraid to slow down, sneak peak from behind a rock,this works really well for RU BB's in ambush tactics.

But Most important of all, listen to others rather than me:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,179 posts
7,038 battles

Its a thin line between not supporting your  team and over committing

So be a sponge and soak up some damage, take pressure off your cruisers and DD:s, support your team.

Plan ahead if possible, keep an eye on the minimap so you know where their DD:s (torps) are coming from, keep an eye on HE spammers too, try to have an evade/escape plan 

Dont show unnecessary broadside 

Dont be that lone full hp BB against half the enemy team at the end

(following some teammate on a mad yolo may be a bad plan but can often be better than no plan)

Players
32 posts
2,051 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 8:52 PM, JarrusJenkins said:

Right,

How do you play a battleship on this game?

Because as far I can tell you can either stay at the back like a little [edited] and not support your team but get some decent damage numbers and points on the board at the end of the match.

By doing this then, the team cries endless because you aren't supporting them.

Or, you can push with the team to then get rained on by invisible HE [edited], the flank then falls apart and you're left by yourself to get focused down by the opposing team and then you cry endlessly to the rest of your team because they haven't supported you.

I really don't get it, what the hell am I supposed to do?!?!!?!

A good question and there is no easy answer

Controlled aggression probably comes close but so does intelligence

I've been DD's today and had some great support from BB's as they have seen where I am, backed me up and we won.

2nd to last game, 2 Tier 5 BB's sit broadside on to a Fubuki in smoke whose team is spotting, both stationery or 1/4 ahead, get sunk and blame me. I was heading towards last position of Fubuki but he has moved 7 - 8 km away 

You never stop in a BB with a DD in the area, turn away or turn in but stop? Why?

Fubuki outspots me and I had already lost 1/2 health to his team so what I supposed to do, no smoke as I am a French DD

I think a lot of it is knowing that no ship can do everything and that mutual support and intelligent use of cover all help 

• Cool 1

Players
1,556 posts
22 hours ago, kiteohatto said:

Yeah....have fun with that. Double cv games and ships with poor AA.

200 games will make a sane person quit, not get better at battleships. You gotta be some masochistic zen monk to endure that crap lol.

Did you follow your own advice ? Im just curious.

No I didnt, I wish I did.

I gave up playing WOWS seriously, I may do a bit of bot bashing if I feel in the mood, that mood is scarce, I moved games and play that ever day.

Like you say I am in WOWS Rehab :o)  

Regards

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts

From my observation of the past dozen battles, playing a BB means turning around and running away instead of supporting your point men as soon as your vanguard makes contact and draws fire, or not advancing at all and spend the entire game at anchor.

If I drive a DD into a cap I should not rely on BB support once I need suppressive fire to be laid down.

If I scout in a CL I should not expect BBs well within range to fire upon spotted enemies.

If I push in a BB I should not expect the other BBs who were right behind me (until loud sounds occur and they collectively turn tails) to fight at my side.

I will play CV for a while and enjoy an areal view of the unfolding BB desaster.

shot-19.12.11_11.25.16-0251.jpg

Players
194 posts
2,931 battles
Alle 24/8/2019 alle 21:52, JarrusJenkins ha scritto:

Right,

Because as far I can tell you can either stay at the back like a little [edited] and not support your team but get some decent damage numbers and points on the board at the end of the match.

By doing this then, the team cries endless because you aren't supporting them.

Or, you can push with the team to then get rained on by invisible HE [edited], the flank then falls apart and you're left by yourself to get focused down by the opposing team and then you cry endlessly to the rest of your team because they haven't supported you.

I really don't get it, what the hell am I supposed to do?!?!!?!

Depends on what kind of battleship you are playing. Consider the two opposites: if you have German BB you are supposed to tank and brawl at mid and even close range, directly supporting during caps or pushing the enemy team. If you stay on a Japanese BB, on the contrary, you are mostly supposed to support your team from distance with good sniping work. Then ofc there are lines which are hybrids of these 2 opposites. In russian bbs you have good accuracy before 15 km and generally relatively short range, so you are not really meant to snipe, but rather bow tanking at medium range.
In any case I'd suggest to play lower tiers bbs to understand if a certain line is suitable for your gameplay or not

Players
3,032 posts
6 hours ago, Barracuda_111 said:

No I didnt, I wish I did.

I gave up playing WOWS seriously, I may do a bit of bot bashing if I feel in the mood, that mood is scarce, I moved games and play that ever day.

Like you say I am in WOWS Rehab :o)  

Regards

Is there a WoT's rehab as I uninstalled than yesterday, and can we get good therapy there?:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
1,556 posts
28 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Is there a WoT's rehab as I uninstalled than yesterday, and can we get good therapy there?:Smile_trollface:

Yes WOWS Rehab is wonderful place, I show you a nice picture of the Rehab Centre ( I sec got to load it )

... some mins later

You get to fly at 10,000 ft and them 12.7 Browning man sure makes one hell of a row, when your trying to fly this Bad A$$ B*t*h ( shes called Lucky Lady BTW )

Laffs

image.thumb.png.3f2ead09d40ece307a5f3ddbf4bf445a.png

And we get nice soothing music in the rehab centre to clam or nerves..... ENJOY 

• Cool 1

Players
1,556 posts
6 minutes ago, Barracuda_111 said:

Yes WOWS Rehab is wonderful place, I show you a nice picture of the Rehab Centre ( I sec got to load it )

... some mins later

You get to fly at 10,000 ft and them 12.7 Browning man sure makes one hell of a row, when your trying to fly this Bad A$$ B*t*h ( shes called Lucky Lady BTW )

Laffs

Players
3,032 posts
1 hour ago, Barracuda_111 said:

... some mins later

Laffs

Surely that is not from WoWP's? Now I got glen miller playing in my mind, do we have the dancing girls too?:Smile_trollface:

Players
278 posts
1,590 battles
7 hours ago, EiricBloodgun said:

if you have German BB you are supposed to tank and brawl at mid and even close range, directly supporting during caps or pushing the enemy team.

In theory. What happens in practice is that, say I'm on a flank with my Bismarck, a Richelieu and an Iowa, as well as a DD and a cruiser. The cruiser and I follow the DD to support him, but the Rich & Iowa stay at max range. What happens, is that I get spotted as the only viable target. Holy hellfire rains on me from all directions, and I get forced to turn and retreat. The cruiser sees me retreating, gets spotted and also retreats. The DD is left unsupported.

Meanwhile the Rich and Iowa are still twiddling their thumbs at max range, shooting at spotted ships from relative safety. It's nice for them, but the problem is the less viable targets the enemy has to shoot at, the better this is for them as you get the concentrated fire effect automatically. 8 ships firing on 1 ship at a time  > 8 ships firing on 8 ships. But this is something that even after many years BB players still don't seem to realize.

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
600 posts
13,729 battles

To be honest, my advice is to ignore other players. 9x10 their ideas are suicidal or stupid anyway.

And learn the game for yourself so you know how to utilise your ships better in every situation.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 6 Stunden, LordTareq sagte:

In theory. What happens in practice is that, say I'm on a flank with my Bismarck, a Richelieu and an Iowa, as well as a DD and a cruiser. The cruiser and I follow the DD to support him, but the Rich & Iowa stay at max range. What happens, is that I get spotted as the only viable target. Holy hellfire rains on me from all directions, and I get forced to turn and retreat. The cruiser sees me retreating, gets spotted and also retreats. The DD is left unsupported.

Meanwhile the Rich and Iowa are still twiddling their thumbs at max range, shooting at spotted ships from relative safety. It's nice for them, but the problem is the less viable targets the enemy has to shoot at, the better this is for them as you get the concentrated fire effect automatically. 8 ships firing on 1 ship at a time  > 8 ships firing on 8 ships. But this is something that even after many years BB players still don't seem to realize.

That's life in a Tirpitz. You fight an entire fleet, and your team watches you die heroically from a safe distance.

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,481 posts
10,805 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, JarrusJenkins said:

Right,

You play it like a cruiser.

Players
194 posts
2,931 battles
17 ore fa, LordTareq ha scritto:

If the Iowa and the Rich fire their guns they should be spotted as well, same for the cruiser, if he is not behind an island on cover or in in smoke. If you see there is no-one really supporting actively you cannot push, with no ship whatsoever, not even with a GK or a Kremlin, it's simply impossible if the flank swarms with red ships everywhere. In this case, just kite away and do some damage and try to drag the enemies over you so that the dd or the cruiser on stealth can make an ambush near the cap, possibly.