You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CaptainCoconutUK

Ship Upgrade Module Ideas

3 comments in this topic

[U-W]
Players
12 posts
19,530 battles

[Torpedo Protection] - Slot#1

I don't know about you but I've always felt the ship module list to be, well, limited. With just two or three choices available & have always thought about new interesting things that could improve the flexibility of our ships with worthwhile upgrade modules. :)

One of these ideas is a buff to our ships torpedo protection, at the expense of what though as this kind of module could be in any slot. Considering the soon to arrive sneaky subs, there is going to be a lot more fishes in the sea & I think this kind of upgrade would be useful for Battleships & Cruisers.

I was thinking that this could be a good slot #1 choice, replacing main battery mod, so we give up on protecting our ship modules & focus on protecting our hull. This kind of module also promotes a more brawler style of playstyle & that depends on which slot it goes in of course. We don't want those secondary builds having all the fun & that's why I think it should be in slot #1.

This buff is only for the ships torpedo protection bulge, torpedo hits to the bow or stern will not be mitigated. :(

Pushing the boat out, we could even see two upgrades in this area, one later on (5 or 6) that would see a torpedo spread mitigated. Campers beware! :p

Maybe even a special! :o

I just thought I would throw this idea out there to see what we thought of it & also see if there are any other ship upgrade module ideas that could be discussed. After all, more flexibility makes for a more focused ship. ;)

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

not entirely sure tha's possible mechanics/code wise... and you'd have to answer quite a few balancing questions as well. To name just one: flat or percentage increase? But either way, this would tend to be most beneficial for ships that already have very strong torpedo protection (even if it's flat, it's a lot more useful for a Yamato to go from 50% to 60% protection than for a cruiser to go from 10% to 20%...). So you'd probably have to come up with some sort of complicated formula to make it do what you want...

[U-W]
Players
12 posts
19,530 battles

I believe the torpedo protection is already contained within the ships database, so tweaking it should not be a problem (although I don't know how WG organise this db, so I may be wrong). :)
You are totally right Tyrendian89 to question the balencing & implementation of this module & I totally understand the complexities of implementing this, although that is not for us to do, it would fall to WG to work that out & see if it can be implemented correctly, after all, it is only an idea. :)

How about this :-

25% to DD's (Not really useable as I don't think any DD's have torpedo protection)

20% to CC's (Heavies may benefit, depending on current torpedo protection values)

15% to CV's (Useful if you do not have a DC special fitted (if it is a slot#1 upgrade module) ;) )

10% to BB's (Beneficial depending on current torpedo protection values)

You are also right about high tier BB's taking advantage of this but I must stress that when it comes to upgrade modules, we are giving up something to get something else. The question is, would I fit it over Main Battery Mod1? Giving up module protection for hull protection. If the answer is 'Well, that depends', then I believe it is a viable idea at least. ;)

Edited by CaptainCoconutUK