Shimakaze_Yukari

Why has the flag on the Błyskawica changed?

27 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4 posts
1,300 battles

I don't post much on forums but yeah, why has the background flag changed on the Błyskawica to a more European Nation-NATO style flag?

I haven't played for a while but I feel really disturbed by this change

2dPOpaF.jpg

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,319 posts
9 minutes ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

I don't post much on forums but yeah, why has the background flag changed on the Błyskawica to a more European Nation-NATO style flag?

because a new "nation" was added, Pan Europe, which is for European ships/nations without an own tech tree, and the Błyskawica was shifted to this "nation", since it is the only Polish ship atm...

edit:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/#content

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,335 posts
6,736 battles
1 minute ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

I haven't played for a while but I feel really disturbed by this change

2dPOpaF.jpg

It's a Dutch ship, didn't you know?

Beta Tester
4 posts
1,300 battles
11 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

because a new "nation" was added, Pan Europe, which is for European ships/nations without an own tech tree, and the Błyskawica was shifted to this "nation", since it is the only Polish ship atm...

I suppose that makes sense, but doesn't Italy have like 5 ships, The commonwealth have like 2 and Pan-Asia have 3 collectively? 

I can understand the mentality, what's a few people's complaints that it's practically the only flag/nation out of the entire fleets to be changed for a fictional flag. 

Still it disturbs me for this Europe-a-Nation look.

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,319 posts

but doesn't Italy have like 5 ships

but 5 is more than 1, and Italian cruisers are soon(TM)

The commonwealth have like 2

3, and of course Commonwealth is already something like a "mixed" nation

2 minutes ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

Pan-Asia have 3 collectively? 

Pan Asia has a complete DD tech tree line + some Premiums...

[MORIA]
Players
7,471 posts
37,166 battles

The flag on the ship itself can be changed just like the Pan Asian ships or the Commonwealth. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
22 hours ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

I feel really disturbed by this change

Seriously? Who cares that much?

It's just a 'catch all' nation category - somewhere to put ships from any sufficiently small naval nations that don't get a tree of their own.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
1 hour ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

It looks too much like the Europe-a-Nation idea

Ah, a xenophobe? No further explanation necessary then.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
8 hours ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

And I assume you're just as bothered about the whole "commonwealth-a-nation" thing that tree suggests ?

Heck they aren't even using the EU-flag, it's obviously just a convenient way to collect ships from various smaller naval nations.

7 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Ah, a xenophobe? No further explanation necessary then.

As Nietzsche said: Gaze ye not into the abyss, lest the abyss's boyfriend get narky.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,321 posts
10,733 battles
9 hours ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

Me? I just said that, did you not read my post?

then put the polish flag on it? :-|

• Cool 1

Players
8,396 posts
9,218 battles
10 hours ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

Me? I just said that, did you not read my post?

It's what could have been expected given Commonwealth, Pan-Asia and Pan-America exist to group smaller nations into larger groups. It's not a political statement, it's a practical solution to the issue that smaller countries either do not have enough ships to fill any line or they are basically just premiums. Pan-Asian DDs would've been absolutely impossible as a free to grind lind if the PA category had not existed. Also, as a quality of life change, it allows transferring captains around, so a Blysca captain could theoretically, be put on any other Pan-Euro ship when it comes out and there's already the announced Friesland.

But if you want to see some Eurocrat conspiracy theory behind it all, well, I doubt the forums can help you there...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
4 posts
1,300 battles

Guys, I literally just hate the flag design... That's all... It looks too much like something that already exists and not in a good way

On top of which, wouldn't it be easier to just have "Allied nations and Axis Nations" instead of Europe, Commonwealth, ect.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
13 minutes ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

On top of which, wouldn't it be easier to just have "Allied nations and Axis Nations" instead of Europe, Commonwealth, ect.

That would be two trees, and entirely unwieldy, unless you mean Axis/Allies from only the smaller nations.

From a practical standpoint, what WG are already doing is eminently sensible and practical; it's also in the players' interests - single ships with specific captains are a menace to get to a reasonable standard (unless you already have multiple thousands of games and, as a result, lots of 19-point captains) without spending money - as @Cagliostro_chan points out, a Pan European nation (or whatever, PA, South America etc.) allows you to move captains between ships, speeding up the acquisition of captain points, provided there are enough available ships.

This is just a game, and one should resist political paranoia; it's only an entirely made-up flag/logo, and you can put the 'real' nation flag on the relevant ship(s) if you want. Also, yes, I thought the same thing when Chinese nationalists (small 'n' deliberately) got their knickers in a twist over the flags on the PA ships too.

• Cool 1

Players
8,396 posts
9,218 battles
47 minutes ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

Guys, I literally just hate the flag design... That's all... It looks too much like something that already exists and not in a good way

Flag design may look eh, but good luck making a Pan-European flag yourself. What symbols are on it? The current design is like the most non-controversial you could make by making it a circle that surrounds Europe on a map that even leaves open if countries like Turkey are just on it because they go in there or because they are just inside the circle like North Africa.

And where in an Axis vs Allies design would you put Sweden and Spain? Among the minors of Europe, both are among the most likely to contribute anything to a common line or to premiums.

• Cool 1

Players
10,109 posts
11,872 battles
1 hour ago, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

You know you can swap it just fine, without reeeing all over the place?

• Cool 2

[ATOM]
Players
30 posts
9,595 battles

Of course it is wrong to change national flag of Poland to some fictional pan european flag. For lot of people nation still means a lot and many of them play this game.

• Funny 1

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
5 hours ago, Longbowmann said:

Of course it is wrong to change national flag of Poland to some fictional pan european flag. For lot of people nation still means a lot and many of them play this game.

Did you literally skip all the answers to the OP ?

It's a convenience to have the ships in a common group, exchange captains between them and not having 12 nations with 1-2 ships each.

Also you can have her fly the polish ensign if you want. Change takes like 10s tops.

Capture.PNG.f300a1ab89f068b0010bb1c421567190.PNG

So where is the reason to get your knickers in a twist ?

• Cool 4

[TACHA]
Players
1,450 posts
16,110 battles

You cannot have Allied and Axis - what do you do with the countries that changed sides?

I do understand the OP though - Poland played an important role in defeating Germany and losing the status of individual nation is clearly going to upset some. Maybe they should be allied to the Royal Navy as they fought alongside the British valiantly.

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
On 8/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, triumphgt6 said:

Maybe they should be allied to the Royal Navy as they fought alongside the British valiantly. 

So you want them subsumed under another category not called Poland rather than this category not called Poland ?

Alternatively if you call a new nation "Britain & Poland" you're gonna get even more nark from the British.

She can currently easily fly the Polish ensign. The only change that probably should me made is that she mounts the Polish flag as a standard rather than the pan-European one.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,450 posts
16,110 battles
31 minutes ago, rnat said:

So you want them subsumed under another category not called Poland rather than this category not called Poland ?

Alternatively if you call a new nation "Britain & Poland" you're gonna get even more nark from the British.

She can currently easily fly the Polish ensign. The only change that probably should me made is that she mounts the Polish flag as a standard rather than the pan-European one.

I don’t disagree with you - the only reason I suggest this is do that the commander can be more useful and the Polish crewed many RN ships. 

[T-N-T]
Players
3,648 posts
16,806 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, Shimakaze_Yukari said:

Wait what?! What else does a flag with literally Europe geographically on it look like?

I'll also remind you Pan-America has exactly the same design based on the geograpical representation.

And I don't even want to comment on what a mess 2 huge trees would be with French ships on both sides and whatever...

• Cool 1

[HFHH]
Players
307 posts
16,673 battles

Simple reason for this Russia has alway hated Poland and any russian will do anything to get 1 over Poland, its history dear boy

• Bad 1

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,315 posts
21 minutes ago, Stronginthearms said:

Simple reason for this Russia has alway hated Poland and any russian will do anything to get 1 over Poland, its history dear boy

And this is why they put Polish ship in this game and Polish tech tree in WoT. Which has more fantasy tanks than Russian BB's in WoWs.