You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
sgtmarple

NEW AA

116 comments in this topic

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles

Pfff..hahaha....omg , them planes don't even come close.  I only played one CV game and got wrecked, before I used the system on my surface ships...so I jumped into my Lyon (good AA) against two CVs..relativly alone...omg Clear Skies...the amount of damage you put out is insane. Especially when two ships are together there is no angle of attack. You cross one Ships enforced side and you fly directly into the next one. AP/HE  Bombers have it worse , you can't escape the reinforced side while bombing, you get constantly hit by enforced AA.

I think they way forward is speed on planes. You need to get out ASAP. When you attack one ship , the others just look at your direction and press O and before you can get out you have another reinforced AA on you.

Now for surface ships the mechanic is a good one. It gives you something to react to but if you play CV be prepared for some weeks of immense pain.

Still love it thought, when I play my Lyon.

Edit: Maybe that would be a good time to rethink rockets. To give rockets get some percentage of chance to destroy AA, similar how HE Shells have a chance to cause fires

So some CVs could choose either damage rockets or rockets with a much higher chance to destroy AA. That way CVs could soften up targets before using their Bombers.

• Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,069 battles

Innderesding, but you know what this means right?:Smile_Default: Another badly needed CV plane buff just popped up in the horizon.:cap_look:

• Cool 1

Players
2,386 posts
20,802 battles

What the change has done is sent out CV players in force again.

At the same time when they 1) extended the deadline for the Marine National combat missions into the regular French DD grind and 2) put really good things to buy with Republic tokens in the Armory.

When 3) CVs are THE hard counter for smokeless French DDs.

Sadism? Yep.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, NoobySkooby sagte:

Ok thanks for telling us that CV's are finally dead, I did wonder, lol

The AA change is a good one mechanic wise, not sure about the numbers thought, those planes fall out of skies like dead flies...I can't imagine how that be for CV when you get bottom tierd. AS it is, way to much enforced AA can be pointed at a Squad, way to fast.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,166 posts
1,723 battles

To me, the planes are taking far less dmg than before. But I do not know if ppl are using the new system yet.

[-LA-]
Players
685 posts
5,118 battles

first two games on my implacable were awesome , top tier, no one used the new AA mechanic i was OP as hell! 3rd game though vs t10 people who apparently read the patch notes.. lol was brutal, not sure i get the logic of this colassal nerf but hey im new ;)

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,069 battles
10 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

What the change has done is sent out CV players in force again.

At the same time when they 1) extended the deadline for the Marine National combat missions into the regular Grench DD grind and 2) put really good things to buy with Republic tokens in the Armory.

When 3) CVs are THE hard counter for smokeless French DDs.

Sadism? Yep.

I agree, just broke in my hard-earned Sirocco and every single game I got into had 2 CV's in it. :cap_wander_2:

Of course, I wouldn't mind so much IF these DD's had American standard AA (as they should, if any rational person had thought of this concept) but MEH. By some miracle it did not go too badly anyhow, did even manage a few caps and survived a couple of games too but yeah, a bit of a hard bargain there I must admit. Oh well, it was difficult but not utterly impossible so lessee how it goes, still have to test my Fantasque properly.:cap_win:

Will whine about that later on...:Smile_great:

Beta Tester
1,166 posts
1,723 battles

If you do not press O, you have the Basic AA (which has been nerfed in dmg it seems). If you press O, you have boosted AA on one side of the ship. I do not know if the boosted dmg are more or less than before the patch.

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 5 Minuten, Winged_Cat_Dormant sagte:

Ok, so if you do not press O then nothing happens?

I am away from my gaming laptop right now.

No, if you don't press O you have your AA like always, how ever when the planes come closer just look into the direction and press O that side will be enforced in a couple of seconds then magic happends. After the magic it gets resettet and after some short time you can press O again and start the magic again (the magic being planes going "OMFG SOMEONE GET ME OUT OF HERE!")

• Cool 2

Players
832 posts
9,613 battles
Just now, sgtmarple said:

No, if you don't press O you have your AA like always, how ever when the planes come closer just look into the direction and press O that side will be enforced in a couple of seconds then magic happends. After the magic it gets resettet and after some short time you can press O again and start the magic again (the magic being planes going "OMFG SOMEONE GET ME OUT OF HERE!")

Finally someone put it in more christian terms.

Thanks!

The O key is a bit tricky to find though, they should change it to the space bar. 

[SHAFT]
Players
10,273 posts
9,076 battles
Just now, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

The O key is a bit tricky to find though, they should change it to the space bar. 

Just do it yourself, thats where i have it :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
37 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

Edit: Maybe that would be a good time to rethink rockets. To give rockets get some percentage of chance to destroy AA, similar how HE Shells have a chance to cause fires

Except rockets are literally using HE warheads, including fire chance. But there is only so much boompowder you can stick into fireworks.

And initial impression so far, AA seems to be overall reduced UNLESS you play Pacman and collect flak, as it comes purely from long range, thus can be quite lethal. Even more so with DFAA and +300% rekt.

Players
3,428 posts
14,187 battles

Pretty sure this AA change only punishes bad CV players. So most of them. And soon when CV levels drop and AA skills become pointless, us good CV players will farm you all with ease.

• Funny 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,106 battles
25 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Finally someone put it in more christian terms.

Thanks!

You can use the ~ key. Which of the left side of the keyboard.

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 21 Minuten, Panocek sagte:

Except rockets are literally using HE warheads, including fire chance. But there is only so much boompowder you can stick into fireworks.

And initial impression so far, AA seems to be overall reduced UNLESS you play Pacman and collect flak, as it comes purely from long range, thus can be quite lethal. Even more so with DFAA and +300% rekt.

Yeah but the point is, its not only the enforced AA from one ship, its from the other ships that keeps you in constant Puffs. Before the change players, had to remember to reset their AA, that took time, switch to the UI, that took time, enforce AA, that took time. So CVs had an angle of attack once the knew which side was probably renforced. Now, you see planes attacking a friend, you look,  press O and thats it, everything else does the system. So while you are bombing you get the puffs of another ship that you can't avoid.

The system is still great, but as I said, not sure about the numbers.

[BBMM]
Players
6,120 posts
8,038 battles
2 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

Yeah but the point is, its not only the enforced AA from one ship, its from the other ships that keeps you in constant Puffs. Before the change players, had to remember to reset their AA, that took time, switch to the UI, that took time, enforce AA, that took time. So CVs had an angle of attack once the knew which side was probably renforced. Now, you see planes attacking a friend you turn press O and thats it, everything else does the system. So while you are bombing you get the puffs of another ship that you can't avoid.

The trick already was to prey on ships that are alone... the find out which sector they had... go in the other way.

But you lost the planes anyway "on the way out". 

The next trick will be to "bait" them into using the AA, an wait for the cooldown.

Finally I see some challenge. Much better IMO. 

2 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

I think "point and click"is indeed much better. 

Gives more satisfaction. POINT at the pesky planes, CLICK and see them die.

The numbers can be balanced (yeah I remember it is WG here... we'll see how that turns out). 

[IDDQD]
Players
482 posts
12,781 battles

this could have been quite an interesting change (together with new ManAA skill) somewhere in 8.1

But now, after all those CV nerfs between 8.0-8.6, it is just beating a dead horse

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
5 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

Yeah but the point is, its not only the enforced AA from one ship, its from the other ships that keeps you in constant Puffs. Before the change players, had to remember to reset their AA, that took time, switch to the UI, that took time, enforce AA, that took time. So CVs had an angle of attack once the knew which side was probably renforced. Now, you see planes attacking a friend, you look,  press O and thats it, everything else does the system. So while you are bombing you get the puffs of another ship that you can't avoid.

Except you could set Sector to "expected" angle of attack and when CV commited and was 6km away from you started switching sectors, so as planes fly over you, they would be subjected to full might of the AA. So new Sector is straight up nerf except VERY crappy AA ships, as they can shave %hp away from the squadron

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, BLUB__BLUB sagte:

The trick already was to prey on ships that are alone... the find out which sector they had... go in the other way.

But you lost the planes anyway "on the way out". 

The next trick will be to "bait" them into using the AA, an wait for the cooldown.

Finally I see some challenge. Much better IMO. 

I think "point and click"is indeed much better. 

Gives more satisfaction. POINT at the pesky planes, CLICK and see them die.

The numbers can be balanced (yeah I remember it is WG here... we'll see how that turns out). 

It gives surface ship that much needed sension of, " yeah I am reacting to a thread (Planes)", but it is very very fast. Finding that alone player is always fun, but most of the time you will attack ships with one more ship near by and that gives puffs without being able to avoid them, especially with Bombers.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
17 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

You can use the ~ key. Which of the left side of the keyboard.

I play with only one hand, ( I am disabled) and I use a 6 buttons mouse; I just re-mapped O key to button 6 of my mouse, works like a wonder, got 47 air kills in my first MM with double cv.

• Cool 1

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 1 Minute, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue sagte:

I play with only one hand, ( I am disabled) and I use a 6 buttons mouse; I just re-mapped O key to button 6 of my mouse, works like a wonder, got 47 air kills in my first MM with double cv.

It is magical, I did it myself too since I use a 15 button mouse, the reaction time is great.

Vor 5 Minuten, Panocek sagte:

Except you could set Sector to "expected" angle of attack and when CV commited and was 6km away from you started switching sectors, so as planes fly over you, they would be subjected to full might of the AA. So new Sector is straight up nerf except VERY crappy AA ships, as they can shave %hp away from the squadron

No it isn't, the reaction time is so much faster, you can help out each other so much better, it will be a harder time for CVs.

Players
1,055 posts
12,099 battles

This stuff is just instant melting of aircraft and unlike what testing notes suggested cooldowns are not half a minute or alike, but maximum 15s without any boosting. Lol.