You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

up to date smolensk review?

114 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles

So smolensk is coming tomorrow, and i cant seem to find any up-to-date review of her. The latest video i can find on youtube is 2 months old, and im pretty sure the ship has changed since then.

If anyone knows of an up-to-date review of smolensk, would you link it please?

[NOCAP]
Beta Tester
17 posts
13,765 battles

It still has 16 Stalin approved 130mm guns that fire petrol soaked rounds for extra fire chance and has smoke. So I doubt the play style or captain spec recommendations for it would of changed since those reviews. 

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,529 battles
44 minutes ago, Taffia_ said:

I doubt the play style or captain spec recommendations...

I think he meant the relevant part... that is the actual ship statistics.

Beta Tester
1,926 posts
11,802 battles
27 minutes ago, thiextar said:

So no one knows of an up-to-date smolensk review?

I think Notsers from 2 month ago is the most relevant. That one shows the nerfed ship with 13,5km firerange. But with AFT and module you can get this up to 19.2km (which I will be rockin)

This is typical "WG ninjanerf ships after all CCs reviews have come out to just Fu**k with their constumers" tactics.

Heres my build for tomorrow

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PRSC610&modules=11111&upgrades=143324&commander=PCW001&skills=2485141507&ar=100&consumables=1111&lang=en

image.thumb.png.b3f54811340fe6f1ea8bdaea23b6a22f.png

• Cool 2

Players
10,090 posts
11,855 battles
2 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I think Notsers from 2 month ago is the most relevant. That one shows the nerfed ship with 13,5km firerange. But with AFT and module you can get this up to 19.2km (which I will be rockin)

This is typical "WG ninjanerf ships after all CCs reviews have come out to just Fu**k with their constumers" tactics.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PRSC610&modules=11111&upgrades=143324&commander=PCW001&skills=2485141507&ar=100&consumables=1111&lang=en

Assuming Range mod wasn't removed somewhere during balans process.

[NWP]
Players
2,816 posts
16,932 battles
6 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

lel 19,2 km, guess it'll fit the current sniping meta a lot...

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles
23 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Thats interesting actually, i was considering giving up ce for demo expert for the meme firestarting potential

Not sure about range mod vs rof mod, i feel like i could work with 16.32km range since it has smoke, and the arcs should be pretty horrible at 19km right?

Beta Tester
1,926 posts
11,802 battles
20 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Well it is WG we are talking about so I wouldnt be surprised if its a 2 turrets DD we will see come tomorrow......

Players
889 posts
17,413 battles
13 minutes ago, Lebedjev said:

What the point to mount IFHE on Smolensk ?

Was about to say the same thing. It will let you pen some heavy cruisers, but that's about it.

I think I will just be using my Grozovoi captain on it..

Players
278 posts
6,075 battles

Plenty of them on NA today, looked like you needed to be pretty highly skilled to make it work though.

Still able to sit in smoke and spam HE all over the place but if it gets close it is extremely squishy.

I had a full health one broadside in my sights at 12.5km in my Neptune, 3 front only salvos, 3 citadels and he was dead, and obviously that's far from the biggest guns it will see at that range.

The torps seemed to surprise a few people though, some didn't realise it had them and got caught out but it was not, yet, the OP HE cruiser it originally seemed, time will tell but I suspect really good players will do really well, us mortals will probably die fairly quickly.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,926 posts
11,802 battles
2 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

Was about to say the same thing. It will let you pen some heavy cruisers, but that's about it.

Im not sure about this, just saw a lot of high damage CC videos where they used IFHE. Thought I try it out, otherwise Groz captain for sure.

41 minutes ago, Panocek said:

From the NA forum where they have it now. 19.2km confirmef!

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/198588-smolensk-is-calling-for-244000-coal-when-087-drops-but/?do=findComment&comment=4649835

Players
889 posts
17,413 battles
7 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Im not sure about this, just saw a lot of high damage CC videos where they used IFHE. Thought I try it out, otherwise Groz captain for sure.

From the NA forum where they have it now. 19.2km confirmef!

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/198588-smolensk-is-calling-for-244000-coal-when-087-drops-but/?do=findComment&comment=4649835

Well, some quick maths - 130/6 = 21.6666 ~ 22 => 21mm pen w/o IFHE

This goes to (130/6)*1.3 = 28.1666 => 28mm pen with IFHE. This in essence gives you the ability to go past the 27mm threshold. 

Is it worth the 4 points and fire chance reduction? Time will tell :)

[KISS]
Players
1 post
2,527 battles

What is the credit making potential compared to the other coal ships around that price?

I'm seeing some 200k dmg games that make 500k profit, which seems low

[SHAFT]
Players
10,257 posts
9,069 battles

Since we already have a Smolensk topic, ill just jump in see what you guys are thinking:

- Last Stand: Flamu said, Smolensk loses rudder and engine to HE all the time. I was thinking about LS aswell. Which kinda negates the need to take Rudder/Engine mod in slot 2. I will use Hydro, because you sit in smoke and DDs like to torp smoke, so that should be better than having DefAA. Added to that, you dont have a CV in every battle anymore. But Hydro mod desyncs the smoke/Hydro combo :cap_hmm:

- 3rd slot? Better dispersion - seems like, Smolensk already has DD dispersion (is it supposed to have it?). Not sure if thats really necessary, it would go from 130m at 16 km to 121m. OPtion is AA module... Feels like, both are kinda useless, so i still might take the Dispersion mod.

Ill use my Kutu Captain (atleast for now) with PT - AR (LS?) - SI+DE - IFHE+CE

What are you guys thinking/doing?

[JRM]
Players
6,739 posts
12 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

I will likely use my RU gunboat captain, PM-LS-BFT/SE/SI/DE-AFT

Players
10,090 posts
11,855 battles
55 minutes ago, Guillaume said:

What is the credit making potential compared to the other coal ships around that price?

I'm seeing some 200k dmg games that make 500k profit, which seems low

Presumably identical, ie equal to regular tier 10 with premium paint.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,090 posts
20,284 battles
14 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

If its any help

This review is 3 days after the last time dirty Supertesters like myself  or Contributors had the chance to play the ship

Cant say or remember if there were some changes after the last time we tested her. But normally if there are large changes we get another round of testing...

so i think you can say its rather accurate

Will say i liked her and will be getting her as soon as i get home from work

• Cool 1

Players
2,158 posts
13,722 battles

Looks interesting, now I need to battle with the itching to burn steel to get her. :cap_haloween: I am very close and I can wait a week or two (I hope.) 

Captain will be from Chapa (usual RuCL built) or the one from Tash/Ochotnik (not so typical as I have CE there), may respec as it is free now. 

Gameplay wise I'll try something like Flint probably for a start, just a bit farer away, then I will see what works best for me. 

Beta Tester
1,926 posts
11,802 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Since we already have a Smolensk topic, ill just jump in see what you guys are thinking:

- Last Stand: Flamu said, Smolensk loses rudder and engine to HE all the time. I was thinking about LS aswell. Which kinda negates the need to take Rudder/Engine mod in slot 2. I will use Hydro, because you sit in smoke and DDs like to torp smoke, so that should be better than having DefAA. Added to that, you dont have a CV in every battle anymore. But Hydro mod desyncs the smoke/Hydro combo :cap_hmm:

- 3rd slot? Better dispersion - seems like, Smolensk already has DD dispersion (is it supposed to have it?). Not sure if thats really necessary, it would go from 130m at 16 km to 121m. OPtion is AA module... Feels like, both are kinda useless, so i still might take the Dispersion mod.

Ill use my Kutu Captain (atleast for now) with PT - AR (LS?) - SI+DE - IFHE+CE

What are you guys thinking/doing?

There seems to be a bit of a debate around the IFHE, if its viable or just a waste of skillpoints. Seems like many of the high damage CC games had IFHE but it might be a waste. I will try both IFHE build and also try using my Groz captain with LS (for the Flamu rudders) and AFT, I will try and upload a review very soon on my channel about what I found.

I will definatly go for full range build (19.2km) because the Ships armour is made out of tissue paper so every km I can get away from T10 BB guns will be worth it. Also having 19 km range opens up a whole lot of more islands tactics and such, and the arcs shouldnt be that bad if you ever played Wooster or Harugumo (range build). Having only 15-16 km range puts you in such a harms way it will be hard to disengage in time to survive I think.

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,106 battles
1 minute ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I will definatly go for full range build (19.2km)

19km is too much for those shells. Max 18km for me is enough. 

Players
10,090 posts
11,855 battles
4 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

19km is too much for those shells. Max 18km for me is enough. 

Wowsft calculates +-16s shell flight time at 19km, compared to Kutuzov's 15s. Cleveland in comparison would have over 18s

[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles

So essentially 10 minutes of whining, that in order to have 20km range, you need to pick 4point skill. Well guess what, you dont have to pick it. But than you wont have OP 20km range of super spaming no-go zone (e.g. holding two flanks at once from the middle as shown in video).

It is funny how people rage about powercreep, but when new ships isnt super OP, it isnt worth in their opinion.