You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Submarines are Coming

262 comments in this topic

[_FK_]
Players
155 posts
12,625 battles
48 minutes ago, Smegger213 said:

The day you put subs into random battles will be the day I quit playing.

JUST NO.

Goodbye friend.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 4

[GURKA]
Players
4,625 posts
9,646 battles

Well, my thoughts on the subs, and what they should change (especially the runaway mechanic)

Engine stop

There are two major aspects, that are exciting about submarines. The hunt for the prey, chasing a large ship and destroy it out of nowhere and the hiding against the Sub-hunter. That's the thrill, stopping engine and hope, that the dd won't find the sub and drop the DCs (Depthcharges) at the wrong spot.
I see here a missed opportunity. On the stream they said, they want give the sub a chance to survive against DDs by giving them at deepest level full speed like on surface. I think that's the wrong way, the Sub shouldn't try to speed away. The sub should stop engine and try to hide, hoping the DD will move away or moving into a bad spot.  

Spotting

At the deepest level a submarine shouldn't be able to team spot, only selfspotting to see chasing DDs. Change the aquisition range to <2 km.

Depthcharges

I saw the automated one on the video. I actually like it, I'm fine with them. But manual DC would be still better, especially with the engine stop / silent run mechanic I mentioned before.

Visuals

I know it's a early stage, but to have a complete report: The Watersplashes of the DCs shouldn't have the same effect like the explosion of the DC, that's confusing. Tiny splashes for dropping into the water please.

Manual guns

Well, this isn't that important, but it would be still fun to have guns, that the sub could actually use. Same like CVs should be able to use their secondaries manual.

My suggestion

• Manual Depthcharges. Activation runs the DC for x seconds, dropping constantly DCs for x seconds, then reloading it for y seconds.
  • Slow speed at depth, but also the pings of the surface ships will be more inaccurate, when the ship moves slower. And there will be no ping, if engine stopped. Thus the DD could try to guess the last position of the submarine and try to "blind fire"
  • Maybe manual pinging for DDs to find the submarine actively
  • DC for light Cruisers
  • Cool 7

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
906 posts

So, in a game with no requirements to learn anything. Random arse teamplay....if there is any.

A game were suiciding DDs are a thing......and u want to put into the game a type of class that needs tactics and brains to counter.....or play?

Rly?

We already have a class in the game that is kinda broken and u still haven't managed to balanz it.

I just can't wait for the massive sh**storm u will have when this hits the random que and good players just have a field day, and the exploits they already figured out......like with the CVs.

I will get my popcorn and beer......diz gon git guuuut.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[NSAF]
Players
30 posts
6,832 battles

having studied naval warfare for about 10 years now i will be following the steps done with these subs, i have a feeling this will ruin the balance between the ships already in the game, and the "balance" in the game now is already more or less horrible, so should be interesting to see how many actually quit the game on launch day of the sub patch, i for one will most likely play only training matches for my fill of warships if what i think will happen does happen.

you have a thumbs down for this idea from me personally WG, im sure there will be many others.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[CR33D]
Beta Tester
630 posts
7,083 battles
1 minute ago, kenny212 said:

having studied naval warfare for about 10 years now i will be following the steps done with these subs, i have a feeling this will ruin the balance between the ships already in the game, and the "balance" in the game now is already more or less horrible, so should be interesting to see how many actually quit the game on launch day of the sub patch, i for one will most likely play only training matches for my fill of warships if what i think will happen does happen.

you have a thumbs down for this idea from me personally WG, im sure there will be many others.

we have months, if not a full year ahead before this things hit randos. i'm quite sure we will have all the time to polish and smooth the experience for everyone, subs, DDs and all the rest. this is not gonna be like the CV REEEEwork.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Players
2 posts
2,258 battles
42 minutes ago, Tanatoy said:

(...)

And thank you for your interest. The first wave will be most probably a "closed" (but still pretty wide) beta.

(..)

Hello WG Staff,

can you tell early developers to document more about the concept of 02 (dioxygen) ?

Without changing the gameplay they could name it differently. Even for 1920's submarines, being forced to surface to restock "atmospheric air" in a 15 minutes encounter is.. a joke.

In fact I'm not extensively documented myself but I watched documentary films with people actually having fought in a submarine from 1939 to 1945,

and I what I understand is that most 1930's submarines stayed hours underwater. Up to 14 hours underwater for record WWII battles.

The whole concept is not atmospheric air stock, but battery stock. Surfacing meaning atmospheric engine (diesel) refueling batteries, and diving meaning cuting off the atmospheric engines.

So to limit battery consumption (equivalent of dioxygen consuption in current early state of development) one simply has to stop reduce the speed or even stop the ship, not moving at all.

If submarines are allowed to stay longer underwater, a realistic game balance is to lower their speed underwater, not only because of friction (water currant resistance) but also because of battery spared volountarily.

So submarines would have to cruise emerged at surface, very vulnerable, and could dive more than what is depicted in Wargaming early announcment but would be less mobile underwater. (Ii is already written that they would not be allowed to launch torpedoes in diving). So the reason of surfacing would be to fight in battle, not being forced to refill dioxygen.

If you want to read more : humans don't consume so much dioxygen, but they reject carbondioxygen (CO2), and the ratio 02/CO2 proportionnaly lowers in the closed space of a submarine when humans breathe.

Also,  one veteran on film said that often small fires occurs, because of electrics failures, they quickly extinguish, but small fires rise up CO2 and rise up CO (monoxyde carbon), wich is very toxic, lowering 02/CO2 ratio and increasing CO/O2 ratio.

So humans vanish and eventualy die when the O2 ratio is toxic, even with a good atmospheric air stock.

Another point if you want to read more, is that there are 2 types of surfacing : normal (slow) and emergency (fast), the diffrence being that the emergency surfacing damaging the submarine and damaging a bit the crew (shaken).

Thanks for reading.

• Cool 7

Players
1,393 posts
12,209 battles
17 minutes ago, orlathebeast said:

we have months, if not a full year ahead before this things hit randos. i'm quite sure we will have all the time to polish and smooth the experience for everyone, subs, DDs and all the rest. this is not gonna be like the CV REEEEwork.

Pin this somewhere on a wall and come to it once SS hit regular game play. 

Unfortunately, I will not be able to discus this with you then so I will make it clear now.

The best thing WG can do for this game is to abandon submarines after a month of testing  and admit that  it was a horrible idea  which they accepted while being mentally irresponsible due to abuse of quality vodka.  

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[-AIE-]
[-AIE-]
Beta Tester
10 posts
6,632 battles

Subs with a 30 knot surface speed,your yanking my anchor chain!!Guided torps,why not just give them bloody Harpoon missiles.Most WW2 subs did 18-20 knots on the surface,5 or 6 knots submerged,this is without a doubt the worst idea that Wargaming has come up with in its long history of bad ideas.these things get to random battles and I`ll quit.CBT.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,071 posts
7,200 battles
4 hours ago, The_EURL_Guy said:

We are happy to finally give you an answer to the most popular question in the history of the game: yes, they are coming.

Read it on the portal

! AWESOME ! SUBS !

A friend of mine asked if Uboats are already in the game - WG is slow on new gameplay content I had to answer :D

image.thumb.png.eb0de9c79f335309ad8146565fe0b43a.png

• Cool 1

[-CGE-]
Players
7 posts
6,334 battles

I know it's in a very early development stage but the shown concept seems flawed imho:

- only DD's as a real counter is a bad idea (they are the first to die in game already)

- high speed while submerged gives subs too much influence (maybe make it necessary for surface ships to slow down for depth charges instead?)

- Guided Torpedos will worsen the camping meta even more

Let's hope WG will take this slow and listen to our feedback during testing...

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
121 posts

I'm just here to say this is a terrible mistake. Submarines will change the pacing and the unique nature of combat in WoWs to its detriment. Now, do your worst.

• Cool 3

Players
11 posts
2,719 battles

Awesome, Wonderful, Amazing, gorgeous........

i was waiting for this from very long time ..... i adore subs can't wait to play on of the most feared weapons on the sea...

Great Job WG and i hope you consider that Cruisers can use depth charges too, and don't listen to those who hate improvement.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[LADA]
Players
431 posts
7,310 battles

Please find the person responsible for these ideas and assign them to something more befitting of their skills. Making the tea. Emptying the bins. Buy them a holiday to some far flung island. Anything.

Just stop them from getting anywhere near the design and development of this game.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 3

[VL-NL]
[VL-NL]
Players
15 posts
4,171 battles

Submarines doing surface speed underwater that's a joke so subs can run rings round slow moving targets really no tactical game play here at all! Homing torps is another joke or are they going to implement the towed decoy that is on every ship. More unskilled game play auto depth charges yay!!!

• Cool 1

Players
1 post
49 battles

Taking a leaf out of Battlestations huh? I like how you're providing a new ways to provide in-depth gameplay. (Pun intended)

Submarines are like the sneaky ninjas for an armada how they're sent to scout and assassinate big targets like battleships and carriers but I got a question: Shouldn't Spotter Planes and Torpedo Bombers also play a key role in anti-submarine combat. I mean, it sounds like destroyers and other submarines seem to be hogging the fun.

Players
124 posts
593 battles

@Tanatoy is it possible for submarines to fight other submarines at deepwater depth? The articles mention torpedoes being able to hone other submarines on certain depths, or do submarines just currently spot each other at that depth, doing nothing else, maybe ram perhaps?

[_OYK_]
[_OYK_]
Players
267 posts
9,881 battles

I look forward for subs from the beginning in the game.

I think the introduction of subs is an opportunity to make changes to all ships to alter the gameplay.  A new gameplay can make us to play again ships with new possibilities  that now we never touch. A full refresh of the game!!

1st time WG announce a change with so many steps and no time limit for any step. 

Think the tremendous work is needed to add depth to the maps. Think maps with shallows that a BB cant go and a sub cant submerge.

Yes, I believe that this change will be a good one. I have a feeling that the WG team of subs is different of the team of CVs. I dont know for sure but it is a feeling.

I think that fast subs r outlandish and the gameplay of subs will be ambush in strategic places, but u who complain have the patience for this gameplay? I ll love it, but I am 55 yo and passionate with simulators. All the players that ask more "active" gameplay they want just a brawl and no strategic depth in the game. In brawl subs have not any place.

Lets see what is coming in test and we can complain after some games...

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,358 posts
5,402 battles

We’re confident that submarines will make an excellent addition to the game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2