You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Submarines are Coming

262 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
115 posts
8,737 battles

for the love of god.. why!?

and homing torpedoes ... jeez H f christ!

• Cool 21
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[W-G-R]
Beta Tester
5 posts
3,578 battles

Think this could be interesting ,but little worried about the balancing of the game with yet another type of ships.

Look forward to some videos with game play testing.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,924 posts

After seeing the gameplay preview at Gamescom:

I see a lot of stressed and easily picked off (aka: dead) higher tier DDs when they bother to hunt submarines.

If they remain the only real countermeassure, then subs will just have to wait till those are dead and then have a field day with homing torps send at the remaining enemy fleet. Nothing will stop them then anymore.

• Cool 7

[R3B3L]
Players
777 posts
26,538 battles

The firing of the depth charges should behave like secondaries: no penalty to concealment.

• Cool 1

[HDMS]
[HDMS]
Players
62 posts

1. of april AGAIN  :cap_horn:   :Smile_child:   :Smile-_tongue:

And no matter what players say, WG dont give a truttelut - just look at the threat about Research Bureau - time to find another game.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,924 posts
10 minutes ago, thiextar said:

So if your teams destroyers all die, you cant do anything about enemy subs?

If you spot them, while at periscope depth or emerged for oxigen reload, you can still shoot them with your guns.

You know... when your guns are aimed in the right direction, as those will be short windows of opportunity, and while you try to dogde homing torps.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
4,061 posts
3,532 battles

Hi guys,

For having trying it, in the really early stage of gameplay, being able to "ping" your torpedoes is not as easy as it seems. It does need obviously a lot of testing and time to make it right, and we will be happy to do this as said previously, carefully and in different stages where you'll be able to try it.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 3

[CAPT]
Players
471 posts
12,213 battles

"There will never be subs in WoWS." Russian speak with forked tongue, but then, Russians are white men...:cap_cool:

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[WG-EU]
4,061 posts
3,532 battles
14 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

If you spot them, while at periscope depth or emerged for oxigen reload, you can still shoot them with your guns.

You know... when your guns are aimed in the right direction and while you try to dogde homing torps.

In the version we tried, O² was getting empty quite fast I would say, at least it seemed to me in the heat of the battle, even with bots and few humans. Which means that hide and seek game is quite like walking on a razor blade for a sub, as you do need quite a lot of time to get close enough to your target and to get away from the ennemies for being in a safe location, or it will be really easy to destroy you to replenish your oxygen. 

Also, to be able for your torpedoes to do more damage, you need to "ping" the ennemy ship by point in the direction were the bow or the aft of the ship will be, when the sonar wave would hit it. Which means you need to get closer, so getting more in danger of a destruction. 

All of this, you can see it in live gameplay right now!

Please remember that my impressions and what you're seeing on the gameplay is the first tests of it. And many things can change still. 

Thanks for your understanding,

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[1_MAN]
Beta Tester
66 posts
9 minutes ago, Tanatoy said:

Hi guys,

For having trying it, in the really early stage of gameplay, being able to "ping" your torpedoes is not as easy as it seems. It does need obviously a lot of testing and time to make it right, and we will be happy to do this as said previously, carefully and in different stages where you'll be able to try it.

Is there time estimate when we will be (and how) able to sign up for a test ? As DD main, i think this will be good for the game. I dont think subs will do much spotting or dmg, but finally take off the load of capping from DDs.

• Cool 2

[LUSOS]
Players
251 posts
16,066 battles

Submarines are relatively slow. Their speed on the surface is a mere 25–30 knots; at periscope depth their speed is reduced further. When underwater, submarines will be able to cruise at the same speed as when at surface level.

what is this joke?

U-boat techs:

Speed:
  • 17.7 knots (32.8 km/h; 20.4 mph) surfaced[1]
  • 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph) submerged[1]

But here we'll have submarines underwater as fast as surface ships???

• Cool 8
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
245 posts
6,561 battles

Im looking forward to try it out

As it sayed would be a great refreshment to the game. Be open for new:P

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
245 posts
6,561 battles
2 minutes ago, powerverde said:

Submarines are relatively slow. Their speed on the surface is a mere 25–30 knots; at periscope depth their speed is reduced further. When underwater, submarines will be able to cruise at the same speed as when at surface level.

what is this joke?

U-boat techs:

Speed:

Just think, if underwater speed would be 8 knots even a T1 ship can chase down a T10 sub...... What is mogadors speed? :D

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[WG-EU]
4,061 posts
3,532 battles
2 minutes ago, Contrador said:

Is there time estimate when we will be (and how) able to sign up for a test ? As DD main, i think this will be good for the game. I dont think subs will do much spotting or dmg, but finally take off the load of capping from DDs.

Hi Contrador, 

And thank you for your interest. The first wave will be most probably a "closed" (but still pretty wide) beta. So far, as plans can change, I still can't tell you when, but for sure, this will be written in the portal. 

1 minute ago, powerverde said:

what is this joke?

U-boat techs:

Speed:

Underwater, a sub can do two things only though... move and see the general direction of the enemy. Thus, it wouldn't be that much of a threat to the other ships. 

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[B_S_C]
[B_S_C]
Beta Tester
61 posts
10,723 battles

I know there is a load of work still to do but this is worse than I feared when the news first dropped.

Subs massively too fast and manoeuvrable underwater compared to the ships in game, what you're showing so far is just terrible.  Subs are NOT DD's that can submerge and the less said about the homing mechanic the better - that didn't work properly until well after WW2.  If you go with homing torps then ALL ships should have asdic and countermeasures not just DD's.  This is going to turn the game into a complete joke with no link to realistic naval warfare at all and it's been hanging on by it's nails for some time already with the way radar and hydro work.

• Cool 13

[3-RTR]
[3-RTR]
Beta Tester
159 posts

Pffeew...quite a thing here. Destroyers will become more important now instead of being forced to cap.

Ahh...capping. Subs are ghoing to cap as well? Interesting.

Shoot ships under water with HE? That is complete nonsense.

HE bursts as soon as its fuze detects the surface.

So depth charges? Now what about the weapons like the limbo AS mortar on HMS Daring or the launchers on the upcoming dutch DD?

I don't know what is meant with 'homing torpedoes in one of the previous comments, but torpedoes in the days this game plays didn't exist, as far as my knowledge goes.

So the game will change to World of Submarine hunting, as battleships and submarines will now turn into high value targets (HVT's).

The only thing they can do is launch spotter planes.

[LUSOS]
Players
251 posts
16,066 battles

6 minutes ago, Wilkinson87 said:

Just think, if underwater speed would be 8 knots even a T1 ship can chase down a T10 sub...... What is mogadors speed? :D

I know this isnt a real simulator, but still, a submarine works on stealth, but outrunning a destroyer never happened.

I'm not saying it should move at 8 knots in game, thats very slow, but not at 25-30 knots.

3 minutes ago, Tanatoy said:

Hi Contrador, 

And thank you for your interest. The first wave will be most probably a "closed" (but still pretty wide) beta. So far, as plans can change, I still can't tell you when, but for sure, this will be written in the portal. 

Underwater, a sub can do two things only though... move and see the general direction of the enemy. Thus, it wouldn't be that much of a threat to the other ships. 

If a submarine can move quickly, it can position itself fast enough to counter attack.
A submarine that comes to close to a destroyer shuold know better, not have the possibility to dissapear and try again, just by speed.

• Cool 3

[LUSOS]
Players
251 posts
16,066 battles

Btw, does a submarine gets damage if a sunken ship "falls" on it, in other words, if he passes under a sinking ship? Or isit just as any other sunk ship interaction?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3