You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Will you respec your captains with new v0.8.7 regarding new AA rules? What will you change/choose?

39 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,559 posts
10,445 battles

Hi all,

Will you respec your captains with new v0.8.7 regarding new AA rules? What will you change/choose?

"Update 0.8.7: French Destroyers – Part 2"

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

In relation to the changes made to the priority sector mechanics and "Massive AA Fire" skill, all players will be able to reset their Commanders' skills for free during the week following the Update's release.

The discount can be obtained until August 29. Click the button below to activate it.

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,207 posts
6,524 battles

I intend to respec the skipper lineup again, but the reason is not the AA changes, rather i just have to movem around a bit to diferent ships :Smile_Default:

• Cool 5

[ONE2]
Players
2,890 posts
16,895 battles

Yeah, just what he said. Not sure, if I will choose the new Commander skill for any of my ships, but lessee when I think about it a bit more. :cap_hmm:

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,570 posts
13,719 battles
3 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

I intend to respec the skipper lineup again, but the reason is not the AA changes, rather i just have to movem around a bit to diferent ships :Smile_Default:

Dito. On the other hand living by the old "the bomber always gets through" philosophy freed up a lot of captain points for more useful skills. Just wondering how effective the new skills will be.

• Cool 1

[HOTEL]
Players
43 posts
2,106 battles

It's a bit of a no-brainer. After all, it's free. I'll take all commanders of my botes, put them in reserve, reset them, and then meticulously reassign them to ships based on need, as the need arises. 

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
3,281 posts
8,383 battles

Has anyone done the maths to work out if the new skill makes enough of a difference to things like IJN torp boats to make a useful difference, or are they still boned against a CV?

I'm assuming the latter, but haven't looked at the new mechanics in detail yet (a job for the first few battles after the patch)...

[W-C]
Players
692 posts
3,573 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I will remove manual AA from most of my captains.

^^ This. On the few I have it on. And then use it to re-shuffle skills on some of my other captains.

Beta Tester
1,448 posts
9,667 battles

Im still confused about AA. Will the Def AA cons synk in some ways to your use of the new AA sector activation? Is the Sector activation still totally waste if you happen to activate it 1 sec before bombers enter you outer aura? What happens if I activate sector at the same time as Def AA? What happens when sector goes on cooldown and my Def AA is still up? What happens if I switch sides/sectors while sector is on Cooldown but Def AA is still up?!

Im guessing I have missed something in the epic information from WG?

But what I think I have figured out by their info, the old Manual AA skill seems to be totally useless for good AA ships right? It seems they said it would be great for those ships with bad to mediocre AA....?! So im guessing wasting 4 Captainskill for boosting AA on my IJN DDs or something?

Will probably use the free respec for a lot of other stuff, but have no idea on how I should use it to change any AA skillpoints. 

• Cool 5

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,111 posts
6,364 battles

Since the manual AA now just applies a % of the planes HP, it means it will do equal damage regardless of how good your base AA is.

I'll be taking it off anything with good AA - I'd rather have the %increase in DPM for those. It MAY get put on ships with low AA for a stronger alpha pulse, but depends if I have points to spare for it.

• Cool 2

Players
1,393 posts
12,202 battles

I do not specialize ships in AA since 0.8.0. It's pointless. CV have direct control on the drop and AA do not panic planes. If your ship has weak AA CV will drop you regardless of how much you try to make your AA viable. On other hand if your ship have good AA, the CV will avoid you anyway untill you are last suitable target, thus making AA builds complete waste of opportunity to buff ships in other aspects. 

• Cool 4

Players
44 posts
2 hours ago, Episparh said:

I do not specialize ships in AA since 0.8.0. It's pointless. CV have direct control on the drop and AA do not panic planes. If your ship has weak AA CV will drop you regardless of how much you try to make your AA viable. On other hand if your ship have good AA, the CV will avoid you anyway untill you are last suitable target, thus making AA builds complete waste of opportunity to buff ships in other aspects. 

This pretty much.  I consider a battle containing a CV to be 0.000% fun and a waste of my time anyway.  I will save skill points to help in the FUN battles (0 CVs).  Also,  I think it is past time for WOWs to permanently make resetting a captains skill set cost free all of the time (or something nominal such as 1 doubloon/or 100 FXP).

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
3,235 posts
14,863 battles
4 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Im still confused about AA. Will the Def AA cons synk in some ways to your use of the new AA sector activation? Is the Sector activation still totally waste if you happen to activate it 1 sec before bombers enter you outer aura? What happens if I activate sector at the same time as Def AA? What happens when sector goes on cooldown and my Def AA is still up? What happens if I switch sides/sectors while sector is on Cooldown but Def AA is still up?!

Im guessing I have missed something in the epic information from WG?

But what I think I have figured out by their info, the old Manual AA skill seems to be totally useless for good AA ships right? It seems they said it would be great for those ships with bad to mediocre AA....?! So im guessing wasting 4 Captainskill for boosting AA on my IJN DDs or something?

Will probably use the free respec for a lot of other stuff, but have no idea on how I should use it to change any AA skillpoints. 

All of these are very good & relevant questions, which with their usual lack of clarity and detail Wargaming completely fail to explain in their woefully pathetic "documentation".

Wargaming instructions for escaping from a burning plane before it crashes

1. Put on parachute

2. Move to exit door

3. Open exit door

4 Jump from plane

Note to widow several days later

"Sorry, we should have added this:

5. Pull rip cord"

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
3,169 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Wargaming instructions for escaping from a burning plane before it crashes

1. Put on parachute

2. Move to exit door Drink vodka

3. Open exit door

4. Fall from plane

Note to widow several days later

"Sorry, we should have added this:

5. Play Glorious anthem.

"new patch!"

6. Pull Cord

Fix da! comrade!

you can also a plushie torpedo!

• Funny 4

Players
422 posts
1,690 battles

I don't know, it's not a simple decision. I watched a CC vid last night who said how devastating for CV's the new AA will be, so on the one hand it's obvious you will want it. But on the other hand it means nobody will play CV's anymore, so a reset could be pointless and actually be better if you don't do it.

It depends on how many CV's you are seeing after a month or so, but by then the reset will have come and gone. So clever work WG, get everybody to reset but then they realise they need to go back, and repeat, destabilising the game and keep the doubloons flowing.

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
516 posts

Okay, take all this with a pinch of salt as I am mediocre and this is based on the PTS.

5 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Will the Def AA cons synk in some ways to your use of the new AA sector activation?

Not that I noticed, if you are asking what I think; they have different cooldowns and durations and the sector mechanic doesn't have limited charges so they are independent of each other.

Is the Sector activation still totally waste if you happen to activate it 1 sec before bombers enter you outer aura?

I think that will waste the burst-damage portion, but the other three steps will continue as normal so the AA damage will increase, then stay at the reinforced maximum, and then drop down to normal strength again for the cooldown period. 

What happens if I activate sector at the same time as Def AA?

As the burst damage is calculated as a percentage of the squadron hitpoints that won't be affected, but you'd get both the Defensive AA and sector reinforcement bonuses to the continuous damage while both are active.

What happens when sector goes on cooldown and my Def AA is still up?

Then your AA will have the bonus from Defensive AA being applied to its normal value rather than its reinforced value.

What happens if I switch sides/sectors while sector is on Cooldown but Def AA is still up?!

Not sure what you are asking; until the mechanic comes off cooldown you can't use it again, so you can't switch sides while it is on cooldown.

But what I think I have figured out by their info, the old Manual AA skill seems to be totally useless for good AA ships right?

I was using it on ships with reasonable AA where increasing the effect of sector-reinforcement might make a noticeable difference. But the new skill is the opposite, as it increases the amount of burst damage and that damage is a percentage of the attacking squadrons hitpoints, rather than depending on the ships AA, and it disables the sector reinforcement part of the system it's theoretically useful on ships where their AA is bad enough that this extra burst damage would be more than the extra damage from reinforcing the sector.

And that answers Leo_Apollo11's question; yes, I'll be respecing commanders as I did have Manual AA on ships, but I don't intend to respec any commanders to use the new skill. It might be useful on something like the Gallant where making it 10% squadron health rather than 5% would definitely do more damage than sector reinforcement applied to a pair of quad 12.7mm machine guns, but I'd rather spend the points elsewhere.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,448 posts
9,667 battles
1 hour ago, Johmie said:

Okay, take all this with a pinch of salt as I am mediocre and this is based on the PTS.

Not that I noticed, if you are asking what I think; they have different cooldowns and durations and the sector mechanic doesn't have limited charges so they are independent of each other.

I think that will waste the burst-damage portion, but the other three steps will continue as normal so the AA damage will increase, then stay at the reinforced maximum, and then drop down to normal strength again for the cooldown period. 

As the burst damage is calculated as a percentage of the squadron hitpoints that won't be affected, but you'd get both the Defensive AA and sector reinforcement bonuses to the continuous damage while both are active.

Then your AA will have the bonus from Defensive AA being applied to its normal value rather than its reinforced value.

Not sure what you are asking; until the mechanic comes off cooldown you can't use it again, so you can't switch sides while it is on cooldown.

I was using it on ships with reasonable AA where increasing the effect of sector-reinforcement might make a noticeable difference. But the new skill is the opposite, as it increases the amount of burst damage and that damage is a percentage of the attacking squadrons hitpoints, rather than depending on the ships AA, and it disables the sector reinforcement part of the system it's theoretically useful on ships where their AA is bad enough that this extra burst damage would be more than the extra damage from reinforcing the sector.

And that answers Leo_Apollo11's question; yes, I'll be respecing commanders as I did have Manual AA on ships, but I don't intend to respec any commanders to use the new skill. It might be useful on something like the Gallant where making it 10% squadron health rather than 5% would definitely do more damage than sector reinforcement applied to a pair of quad 12.7mm machine guns, but I'd rather spend the points elsewhere.

Thanks for the clarification buddy, then it wasnt only me being old and crap and misinformed....

What I ment with the maked question above was, sector management still effects Def AA consumable, right? So, lets say I pop both sector and Def AA at the same time to get the most "Bang for the buck", the new sector -thingy will be active for a couple of seconds while my Def AA (thats also directed to the side where the sector is chosen will still tick on for about 20-25 seconds longer. Now the planes struck me with their first attack and are now on my "weak AA" side, if I now switch sector (to get the last seconds of my Def AA effect on the other side) for the upcoming second strike, but the sector thing is still on cooldown, will then the sector/side for my Def AA still shift to the other side and when the sector thing coumes of cooldown how do I then activate it againt to take up the AA from the now cooldown Def AA?

I understand this is a really complex question, but this is the type of questions WGs new implementations spark. 

So basically im asking. If new sector thingy is active for lets say 10 seconds and then has a 20-ish second cooldown and my regular Def AA has a 35-40 second action time and then a long cooldown, in the example attack above I could use both mechanics for the first 10 seconds to try and defuse the first strike from the CV, then when sector goes on cooldown I could switch my remaining 20-30 sec of Def AA over to the other side (where the squadron is right now) continue to pumble the planes and when my Def AA dies my Sector should be of cooldown again? But how do I then activate it if the sector is still chosen for my Def AA? Activate it again?!

And should you stack Def AA and Sector or should you use them to counter eachothers cooldown?

So many questions, so few answers .... from the guys in charge of this whole debacle.

Dont even get me started on submarines ..... :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[-GOD-]
Players
984 posts
15,476 battles
7 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

It's a bit of a no-brainer. After all, it's free. I'll take all commanders of my botes, put them in reserve, reset them, and then meticulously reassign them to ships based on need, as the need arises. 

^ This ^

Last respec I reset ALL my captains and only specced a few captain based on what my favorites ships were and the meta. I only respecced the rest once the golden snow flak event happened, based on the meta we have, which means no AA spec mostly :P

I'll despec everything again this time and put most of my captains in reserve until the meta is clean and crisp once more :D

• Cool 1

Players
3,235 posts
14,863 battles
58 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I'll despec everything again this time and put most of my captains in reserve until the meta is clean and crisp once more :D

or, as we say in England, "Until Hell freezes over" :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
516 posts

@OldschoolGaming_YouTube I think your misunderstanding is that with the new system you don't switch sectors. You trigger the mechanic, it runs its course, and then you trigger it again. As far as the mechanic is concerned it doesn't make any difference whether you trigger it on the opposite side or trigger it on the same side again.

So to try to untangle things I think the sequence would be as follows, with a cruiser:

• Planes enter long-range AA aura.
  • You, as you say, trigger both the Defensive AA and the Sector Reinforcement.
  • Planes immediately lose 3.5% of their squadron health from the burst-damage. Ship's AA immediately gets a 50% bonus to continuous damage and 300% bonus to flak explosions from Defensive AA.
  • Over the next five seconds the sector reinforcement bonus increases to a 50% bonus on that side, which only applies to continuous damage, and I think would make it 225% (1.5x1.5) with the Defensive AA. At the same time the continuous damage on the other side suffers a 50% penalty, which I think would make it 75% (1.5x0.5) with the Defensive AA.
  • Five seconds after the sector reinforcement reached maximum, or ten seconds after you triggered it, the effect ends, the two sectors immediately snap back to the 150% they have thanks to Defensive AA and a ten second cooldown on the sector reinforcement mechanic begins.
  • Planes are being persistent little buggers, or you had two carriers in the match and the other one is having a go, and after those ten seconds you still have some targets for your AA.
  • You look at them and trigger the Sector Reinforcement again, dealing another 3.5% of their squadron health as damage and starting the five second ramp-up.
  • AA continuous damage increases to 225% maximum on one side and decreases to 75% minimum on the other side, stays that way for five seconds, and then snaps back to normal on both sides. Ten second cooldown starts again.
  • Carrier player(s) has (have) taken a real dislike to you and there are still planes in range.
  • Sector Reinforcement cooldown finishes, but two shots of that at 20 seconds each is the 40 seconds your Defensive AA lasted.
  • Muttering something uncomplimentary you look at them and trigger the sector reinforcement a third time. Another 3.5% of squadron health taken instantly, and another five second ramp up to 150% on one side and ramp down to 50% on the other side for five seconds, before both sides snap back to 100% as the ten second cooldown starts.
  • Continued muttering and triggering of the Sector Reinforcement against enemy aviation.
  • Defensive AA comes off cooldown.
  • Continued muttering and triggering of the Sector Reinforcement or both that and Defensive AA against enemy aviation.

2 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

And should you stack Def AA and Sector or should you use them to counter each others cooldown?

With a twenty second cycle on the sector reinforcement mechanic (5 seconds for it to increase/decrease, 5 seconds of maximum/minimum reinforcement, 10 seconds of cooldown, repeat) you'd just be spamming it the whole time. AA guns start firing, look at planes and press the button. Compass indicator shows cooldown has finished and AA guns are firing, look at planes and press the button. So it doesn't seem to really affect when you chose to trigger Defensive AA.

• Cool 2

Players
217 posts
5,601 battles

I'm removing MAA skill from all my strong AA ships and possibly using it on a select few. The new AA skill has a long cooldown that makes no sense in a ship like Worcester, where I'd be better off gradually shooting down planes with normal sector reinforcement coupled with DFAA.

[SHAD]
Players
649 posts

I still have AFT on so many of my non secondary ships, that's going.

Might replace with fire prevention.

Clearly we should be testing this new skill to see if it' worth it. 

[-GOD-]
Players
984 posts
15,476 battles

I still think the sector reinforcement is a :etc_swear: idea to be made less :etc_swear: because it was too :etc_swear: to not change.

Its great to get free respecs, its not great that we need it, and its certainly not great that the AA system is still weird as :etc_swear:.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
385 posts
15,877 battles

Its a free repair on some captain builds that i forgot to change with the last free respec.

Main question is what to replace AFT with on my  heavy (and UK, German light)  cruisers...For my (non 2ndary) BB’s it was AFT —> Fire prevention but what to to with cruisers that dont need IFHE? Fire prevention on cruisers (maybe on the super cruisers) feels overdone..

Players
100 posts
7,771 battles
18 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

Eek i have 238 ships and abot 34 captains in reserve that would take ages to respec everything..... :) Manual AA is that doing something or we can forget it?