You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

How happy are you with the game right now? Reddit shows a rather grim picture.

144 comments in this topic

Players
84 posts
431 battles

Currently very happy, as I am perfecting the art of stealth torping T8s & T9s, which I suspect is mostly due to the opfor making butterbars look good.

Looking forward to submarines entering the main game, even if they don't have Klein fields......

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
7,821 battles

Like any grinding game it can be necessary to take breaks from the game in order to 'freshen up'.

While the regular missions are great it does mean players can be induced to grind even more if they want the latest reward.

I'm not sure why there is CB at the same time as Ranked as players in an active clan will probably do both.

As expressed earlier in this thread and elsewhere on the forum the number of operations should be increased to provide a little more variety.  I would have hoped that there would be a new scenario either every patch release or every several patch releases.   The removal of many operations because of the CV rework was another bad impact of the CV rework.

Edited: I'm not sure about the introduction of submarines into the main game - having them in a separate game mode would have been fine although it may have split the player base on which mode to play for a while at least,  I know it's not a simulation but submarines were more of an ambush weapon in WWII - a fleet at sea was usually too fast for them if they were not set up for an ambush.

• Cool 3

[ONE2]
Players
2,890 posts
16,946 battles

I have no complaints, TBH. So far, so good. Just would like to see slightly more CV's, have recently began to have too many games with no CV's at all, which I find kinda boring. And NOPE, not a CV player myself but I appreciate the tactical considerations and variety they bring to this game. Makes things that much more interesting (and gives my few AA-specced ships at the least some relevance).:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
542 posts
1,966 battles

Overall I'm happy with the game. I enjoy playing it a lot (or I wouldn't play it), I think the basic gameplay is fun. Of course I enjoy it more when I feel I've played well and less when I haven't, but that's the nature of it and it's on me to stop playing at times when I'm not having an enjoyable run. There's a lot for me still to do, having started only 2 years ago and not always been hugely active. For that reason, I don't give two hoots about the Research Bureau now it's not giving straightforward buffs for regrinding (or for just sinking lots of FXP into it).

There is a 'but' or several, however.

– I remain disappointed that WG decided to use the live server for testing the CV rework, when everyone who played on the test server told them it needed a lot of work. I really hope they will have learned from that for subs. I really hope they take their time on that, but I'm afraid I imagine that they have a 'subs on live server come what may' patch number in mind, and that it's probably sooner than most of us would be comfortable with.

– I am exceedingly irritated about the IFHE changes. I don't know that I'll play any T6-7 CLs which use HE after they go through. I don't know for sure that I'm ready to be in T9 battles but am going to crash-grind Helena in advance. I guess we'll see how it goes. Sorry if you see me screwing up in it. I will stop if it really isn't working. It sucks because that's a ship I was really psyched about playing eventually, and I love the Dallas and I suppose La Gal is alright even though I struggle to make it work.

– The constant events are a bit much. The schedule felt more chilled 12-15 months ago, and healthier. I would be happy with a couple of patches without a special resource to be gathering.

– Premium ships seem to be getting released faster and faster and again, I don't understand the rush.

– The constant focus on high-tier premiums is tiresome

– I really hope WG are thinking about ways to continue monetising the game sustainably in the future, in ways that aren't just more and more new lines and increasingly wacky premiums. Because on day they're going to have to, and it pays to plan ahead.

– Balancing by gimmicks annoys me oh so much. It should be possible to do more with more parameters – even really basic things like ballistics and gun rotation and manoeuvrability – beyond 'give them a crazy or cheesy ammo or consumable selection', I feel.

Maybe I'm atypical in this. On streams and Facebook, there are a lot of people under every darn announcement and in every darn chat demanding to know when X ship is going to make it into the game and why missions aren't designed with their personal circumstances in mind. Yeah, maybe the forum's concerns are not representative of those of the playerbase as a whole...

Still, I don't want to leave it on a whiney note. This is a very enjoyable game, I like the new maps, I love the complexity (compared to anything I've played before), I love feeling that there's still so much of a learning curve ahead of me. I'm interested in the history of the period, and learning to play better while indulging that interest is just good fun.

• Cool 7

Players
422 posts
1,690 battles

Too many special events running concurrently, too many ships being introduced, not enough attention paid to perennial modes such as Operations, not enough balancing. There is plenty to make a player wonder what to do next and which line to follow, but more likely they think 'this is all getting to much'.

Overwhelming players with stuff to be done, missions, events, CB, Ranked, is similar to what is burning players out in WoT, but most really just want the basic game to work properly and to be entertaining. I'm engrossed in the game, I always have my own projects to do, grind a tech tree, train a Commander, etc. if only there wasn't the persistent distractions. So you could say I'm happy with the game now, but like WoT I can see where it's going and it's not a good place. 

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,444 posts
8,417 battles

I feel the game is doing ok overall but get the feeling now the devs don't listen to the player base at all now

randoms feel ok but the high tier games can be a bore with the long range spam fest

clan battles are very nice though I do prefer tier 10

ranked are just awful and the keep a star if you do best is too easy to abuse

coop is just a way to get missions done and as a whole is so easy you could play it with eyes closed

the scenarios are a nice change but are sometimes too long and your sat waiting a lot of the time for enemy to appear

the cvs are stuffed at the moment and need +-1 match making and also the rocket damage nerfed to high heaven and the torp damage buffed so the dds stop getting wiped in first few mins and the bbs start and take some damage that actually hurts them

as for subs that's a story waiting to happen all on its own that could be a nightmare or a game reviver

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
7,523 posts
5,779 battles

Overall happy despite some things I don’t like.

- massive influx of high tier premium ships seems to be blocking dev capacity for really needed things 

- game mechanics are dumb to a degree it becomes increasingly difficult to add interesting content. Pretty much WG moves the same three values from left to right, adds a gimmick and calls it a new ship

- neglecting ship lovers. We were asking for some real WW1 ships since early 2016. However high tier premiums and short term monetization always take priority 

- the game is monotonous. The new CVs got me entertained but overall the game is too simple to keep interest for longer periods. 

Nevertheless: it is ideal for a minute “in between” due to the short matches and simplistic and slow nature.

I like the new CVs and am looking forward to the subs to bring some variety into the boring lineup of close-to-identical ships we have now. Plus - I admit - there isn’t an alternative at minute in this niche.

Overall yes - happy

• Cool 3

Players
466 posts
9,757 battles
7 hours ago, Sunleader said:

I do have alot of Complaints about the Game as well of Course.

Really? We would never have known if you hadn't said that Mr My Post Count Will Soon Be More Than My Battles Played :etc_red_button:

• Boring 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,570 posts
13,727 battles
12 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Overwhelming players with stuff to be done, missions, events, CB, Ranked, is similar to what is burning players out in WoT, but most really just want the basic game to work properly and to be entertaining.

Well, not defending the recent abundancy of events / grindfests you need to understand that WG needs to cater for a very diverse playerbase. Some people want to play as competivite as possible, some people are satisfied when they can just play a couple of random games and some people want to play co-op primarily. And as all those groups want their own events and special prices it is not easy for any company to not create the feeling of letting people behind (as can be seen here in the forum when is comes to exclusive rewards like steel etc). The problem is that for players that are interested in all modes or that are completionists by nature this can be very overwhelming and tiring.

Regarding OPs question I am still quite happy with the game when it comes to playing just a couple of random games for fun and recreation, however I am also wary about a couple of critical developments, like the more or less failed CV rework or the research bureau. Usually online game companies defend themselves by stating that the people that are doing a major rework or new art style are not those who service the product, i.e. the ressources for maintaining and improving the base game are usually quite limited. However what WG seems to fail to understand is that the majority of the playerbase is primarily interested in improving the existing product and not in the creation of new content. And for World of Warships this means that the playerbase wants to see sufficient ressources diverted to balacing of ship lines, new maps and better/fairer matchmaking.

• Cool 4

[SAT]
Players
9 posts
56 battles

Although i liked this game very much, i dont like the current state.

-CV rework is a huge disaster. I have never seen such a fail before from a gaming company.

-cyclone and all those new kind storms which are completely unnecessary. They only annoy people. 

-Introducing too many high tier premiums and them being too powerful. 

-pumping out "new" ships by copy pasting the existing ships. 

-uncoming completely stupid re-gring concept aka ntc or research bureau.

-although i like to play them, DDs who can win a gun fight against same tier CAs. I believe this shouldnt be the case.

-yoshino. Not the ship itself but giving her to this playerbase is not a smart movr to do. Almost every match i have to dodge the toprs from friendly yoshinos. 

-subs. I really want to play them but im sure they are not goning to be something good for the game balance.

And ofc WG saying one thing but doing the opposite. 

I would rather had the old versions of the game. Like 0.7.0. 

Edit: and ofc stupid bugs. Locking bug. Shoottng a beached ship has been messed up since years. Seriosly now: @MrConway@Sub_Octavian maybe stop pumping out new copy paste ships and focus on fixing those existing bugs first?

• Cool 3

[SPWAR]
Players
94 posts
7,819 battles

Well, if I dont like the game, I was not here.

Excellent graphics, playing against human, coop has take place of solitaire, changes often (new lines, subs, CV rework, weather, re-balance ships)

That was what I like.

Arcade game ( the ships had data link in 1905! one spot ALL see and fire! ok), non historic accuracy, idiotic captains skills (a captains change the hit points of a ship? can see how many players lock on you?), idiotic consumables (radar, hudro consumable???), focus on yolo and hit gameplay, different gameplays that very few playing (scenarios), idiotic CV concept (12 airplanes take damage and 3 r hitting the target!!!! omg), always good weather and when they say typhoon is just a heavy rain that affects only visibility, only 19 skills? why?

there r many other minus things I dont like

I always answer satisfied in poll. Its a good game, has potential and, well, its a game; u like it? u play it. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,797 posts
4,644 battles
11 hours ago, NicramDuel said:

I love co-ops.

I LOVE the current ranked season (T9 is fun and not static, levelling/levelled up 12 unfinished techtree branches simultaneously, hit R5 (never been there before), and I'm having a blast with Jutland and Z-46).

I love my clan and the friends I've made here.

I love how steel and competitive ships have become somewhat easier to attain.

I'm okay with the current CB season.

I don't mind the Research Bureau in itself.

I hate the CV rework.

I HATE the state of operations (Hermes, Cherry, Dynamo are all gone, and nothing new/fun has arrived instead - Raptor Rescue isn't fun).

I started hating randoms recently.

I hate how WG started disrespecting and abusing our IRL lives this summer, and how WG generally considers us all fools.

In summary: I'll keep playing and keep not paying. 

I was going to reply to the thread but you said everything so much better, one thing though it would be nice t be able to Division up in ranked, you could at tier 7, you cannot any other tier, this is a shame.

Players
542 posts
1,966 battles
54 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

However what WG seems to fail to understand is that the majority of the playerbase is primarily interested in improving the existing product and not in the creation of new content.

This rings very true for me, and I see lots of people saying similar things. I just wonder whether we're really the majority on this, and whether the majority of the playerbase who don't invest time in visiting forums etc actually do want the new content more...? Not saying you're wrong, far from it, just speculating about WG's motives based on comments from players on other platforms like Facebook.

• Cool 2

Players
1,797 posts
4,644 battles
1 minute ago, 10ThousandThings said:

This rings very true for me, and I see lots of people saying similar things. I just wonder whether we're really the majority on this, and whether the majority of the playerbase who don't invest time in visiting forums etc actually do want the new content more...? Not saying you're wrong, far from it, just speculating about WG's motives based on comments from players on other platforms like Facebook.

I would have thought Forum users are in the Minority, same as in WoT's,when I used to be able to chat to players in game, they would often state, F%^K what goes on in the forums, and I mean I used to talk to gamers all over the world, yet here, and in WoT's, the forum users, or some of them think they speak for the majority in how the game should be played, sadly it simply isn't so.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,294 posts

I've had a love hate relationship with this game for years now.

But I must admit the hate part is growing stronger and stronger.

I've always taken some month breaks inbetween events because I got tired of the grind.

I'm not happy with dumbing all the game mechanis down.

I'm not happy with NTC (although it's completely bearable now that it doesn't buff ships. Still, releasing OP ships through a massive grindfest is stupid)

I'm not happy with CV rework, but the rarity of CVs is making up for that a bit

I'm not happy with event after event after event without a break. Even more so when they include Ranked and Clan Wars during said event

I'm not happy with every event being more grindier than the last

I'm not happy with the constant T9/10 premium flood. There once was a rule about T8 being highest premium tier to keep T9 and T10 "for the experts who grinded there". Yes I'm an oldtimer, but it worked :cap_old:

I'm not happy with the current state of operations. All the fun ones got removed, and they put only the most boring one back in. Operations don't make them money I guess, so they don't care about them anymore :Smile_sceptic:

BUT, and this is important, in essence this is still an enjoyable game for me. Otherwise I would have quit permanently instead of just taking the occasional break. For the meantime, I will continue playing and taking breaks like before. I will buy Friesland because I need a Dutch ship (and also because she looks interesting to play), but I'll tone down the other purchases and wait for subs. If they screw up subs like they screwed up CV rework (including live server beta tests) that will be the final nail in the coffin and I'm out. If they handle subs well, and even manage to balance them properly, I'll keep playing on an on and off basis, just like now.

Finally, I do have to add that I had more fun grinding the French snowflakes in coop than I seemed to remember. So I could very well end up confining myself to just coop as an intermediate between how I play now and quitting completely.

• Cool 2

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,294 posts
1 hour ago, Ubertron_X said:

However what WG seems to fail to understand is that the majority of the playerbase is primarily interested in improving the existing product and not in the creation of new content. And for World of Warships this means that the playerbase wants to see sufficient ressources diverted to balacing of ship lines, new maps and better/fairer matchmaking.

Sorry for double post, but I had to add this.

While I'm not sure you're right about the majority (remember we forumites are only a small minority), this is so very true for me. I mean, the whole reason I'm still playing is because the core game concept is still appealing to me. I don't need more and more shiny stuff, I don't need OP Russian death star BBs. All I need is a good core gaming experience.

That means more of the same, instead of more of something else. Improve balance, improve maps, improve MM, run the occasional event that's really worth grinding for once in a while.

But improving the existing product doesn't make them much money, so they don't care :Smile_sad:

• Cool 2

[-GOD-]
Players
985 posts
15,485 battles

The only thing I like is the core surface to surface ship combat, in random matches, with a wide variety of ships. I dislike everything else.

Spoiler

I don't like the new CV's (playing them), I hate playing on a live test server, I hate ranked in it's concept, I don't play clan stuff, I hate grinds, I hate Early Access events, I hate loot boxes to the core, I hate events that try to cater to FPShooter kiddies, I hate events that need 3 pages of rules and exceptions to explain how they work, I hate time gated events, I hate extortion grinds, I hate the constant (event and news) spam, so much to hate in this game except it's core. That is the only reason I still play. Everything else is/can be reasons to stop playing and became my main reason to stop paying them for their efforts. I hate what they did to WOT, I hate what they do to WOWS. Oh and I hate how stupid the playerbase is becoming. Lulz.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
5,927 posts
7,193 battles
8 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

IMHO, you are taking this too serious. It's not the first time you said that.

Well yeah, f.e. with the CV rework. But WG made it, so thats acceptable to me. At first, it wasnt. And if they wouldnt have made the changed they did, i would have been closer to stop playing.

There are some things announced which i dont like:

- IFHE change, tbh it looks really bad at this moment for my favourite class (Cruisers, atleast for some).

- Subs, but luckily, they are still far away. In general it might not be bad, but i have absolutely 0 confidence in WG getting the balancing right. They have proven, they cant do it with CVs in almost 4 years.

Research bureau i dont really care. The initial ship buff was horrible, but now... meh so some people will "buy" themselves Colberts/Ohios. Its not like i need more hightier premiums which sit in port :Smile_teethhappy:

And too much grinding in general. Now we get the french cptn next, but i might skip it, because it involves too much playing as it seems.

8 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

When I started this game, this was the only game I played, And I engaged with this game and then I burnt out eventually, I took an well deserved break... 

[...]

Listen, whatever is happen to you, don't let that reach to you. Don't reach the point where you burn out.

there a lot of things that could  not be the same after a burn out.

Thats why i basicly play divisions only. I dont even touch OPs solo anymore, because of the same thing you said. It becomes frustrating (people camping heal in newport/Raptor Rescue or not going for exit in Killer Whale). Why should i even share the XP with 6 guys (who make me fail and potentially even insult me)? I can grab 3-4 other guys, play any OPs i like and get nice rewards WHILE having a good time.

Im not really playing that much, its ~60 randoms per month. Throw in some coop (for missions) in there, and some OPs (which i would play more, if they would give me back Dynamo/Cherry Blossom) and currently some CBs if im not at work. Ranked i usually do my 1-10 games and thats it. That would certainly burn me out.

3 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I am a bit surprised that people do not get used to player base.

Never :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[ORSA]
Players
369 posts
7,659 battles

I still enjoy the game (but nowhere near as before) as long as i do not play too much.  After several games i prefer to close the game for my mental health.

For me the game is going downhill since the release of radar ships. WG butchered game balance since then several times. Some ships are powercreeped like crazy and CV rework was a complete disaster.

[I-J-N]
Players
1,412 posts
2 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

Edited: I'm not sure about the introduction of submarines into the main game - having them in a separate game mode would have been fine although it may have split the player base on which mode to play for a while at least,  I know it's not a simulation but submarines were more of an ambush weapon in WWII - a fleet at sea was usually too fast for them if they were not set up for an ambush.

You may have a point there. No idea what their intended submarine play would be like, but from other games I've played I would expect it to be very stealth based and essentially IMO would require much bigger maps, unless they are preparing to make it one of the grand fiascos of WoWS history. A separate game mode with AI/countermeasures would allow them to produce a balanced game mode and add variety in the game without all the unnecessary drama that it might otherwise lead to.

In short, I can't see how submarines could be implemented in the current meta without throwing what's left of the game balance out the porthole.

• Cool 1

Players
3,236 posts
14,863 battles

I think that the last 12 months has seen  WOWS some undesirable changes (too many grinds, OP premiums, lootboxes) - but is still very much better than the game that I started playing in Open Beta in 2015.

The game though is not the problem. The problem is ME.

I was drawn to WOWS due to my life-long love of ships. WOWS is the only online game that I have ever played. I expected to get to a certain "acceptable" standard. It has never happened and I've been in denial about it for ages - at the cost of much mental angst.

As a result I have often projected my own failings onto being "Wargaming's fault". I took a long break a couple of years ago but still had unfinished business, for example I had not gained a single tier X ship.

I came back, studied videos and "How to" tips, concentrated on Ops and Co-op, and grinded and grinded and grinded and finally completed 21 lines.

In truth I have gone about as far as I can on my limited abilities, and cannot see a future. I was looking forward to French DDs, but they have proved a major let down (and I hate their "gimmicks" which are useless to me). I have a fear that the Italian fleet that I've waited for so long will also turn out to be a disappointment.

The clan that I am in is very good and are thinking up some ways to get some freshness back for old gits like me - so I live in hope.

• Cool 6

Players
2,590 posts
7,988 battles

The Clan is the only thing keeping me in this game at the moment. CB more so.

1) Solo play is horrendous and just frustrating

2) powercreep is rife

3) CV rework a complete failure

4) Gimmicks are out of control

5) player skill levels are just awful (not always their fault )

6) treating the live server as a test server

7) P2W advantage ships which is clearly visible in rank any season. 

8) 300 game players at tier 9/10

But the biggest one is..

9) WG current greed vision and lack of any respect for its player base. Make it strong then nerf when enough people have the ship/line. A trend they introduced some time ago.

It wasn't always like this, not at all. But WG have become too greedy and here we are now. It destroyed WoT for me and here it is.

I mean just look at the Russian BBs? Sums it up for me. And we all seen it coming.

But its the only ship game of this kind and do enjoy playing with friends in divs. I am curious at subs coming in although I can foresee the monster cluster they will produce as I have no faith whatsoever that they will balance them. They will make money from them, balance be damed.

All that is why I took the decision not to spend a penny on this game after rework. Such a shame. If I spend money then I actively encourage WG actions and that doesn't sit right with me. It's the only way a company will listen.

I had 11 old WOWS friends I knew from beta. Only 3 are left (rework killed alot off, BalanceGrad a few more) and one is close to having enough (russian BB) and going to Wow classic? Whatever that is. Apart from 1, they left because of something WG did or introduced. Thats just the way it is.

But I still play the game,yes.

I just wanna say I feel sorry for the balancing department and PR relations, no really i do honestly. They are being completely overruled and played like puppets by the marketing department and bosses.

• Cool 3

[TEC]
Beta Tester
171 posts

Two things in particular, have made me decrease the amount of WOWS games I play and keep my money in my wallet:

1: the game is heading into P2W territory

2: it is my impression that WG have more or less given up on improving game balance

When/if a submarine class gets introduced, what is left of 'game balance' will be destroyed.

I'm just a casual player now - 3-5 hours per week.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
1,741 posts
4,196 battles

Ive been in a state of "playing not paying" for about half a year now, and i see no sign of that changing.

• Cool 3