You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gvozdika

Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) - The Balancing Nightmares....

208 comments in this topic

Players
6,941 posts
8,795 battles
4 minutes ago, Elektroboot said:

Not for the dev team, the whole developer vision/publisher vision is to make the game playable for mollucs and vegetables with minimum player input being needed.

Because majority of "players" consider games as replacement for TV in "turn off the brain and turn on the TV" equation. Its not exactly WG fault for following the money

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
6 minutes ago, Elektroboot said:

Yup, would be great if the spotter/fighter option on BBs get a 3rd option.

No need. If you launch a spotter/fighter plane you spot the sub, same as you now spot DDs. 

A fighter plane would strafe the enemy sub or shoot down the subs spotter.

A spotter plane would spot the sub and throw a depth charge on it. 

[KAKE]
Players
1,697 posts
3,979 battles

The only thing I can see them implementing is some kind of "silent running" mode where you press a key to reduce your submerged detectability but also your speed and maneuverability.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
3,370 posts
7,896 battles
1 minute ago, Uglesett said:

The only thing I can see them implementing is some kind of "silent running" mode where you press a key to reduce your submerged detectability but also your speed and maneuverability.

That's what I really wish, or just engine stop to hide.

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Because majority of "players" consider games as replacement for TV in "turn off the brain and turn on the TV" equation. Its not exactly WG fault for following the money

This in itself is not a problem, even if half the team is such cannonfodder. 

The problem occurs when 90% of one team is cannonfodder and the other team only has 10%.

WG only has to take stats and apply them once they have enough people to form a team. 

[COMFY]
Players
115 posts
592 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I suppose that launching a spotterplane would mean it would spot a sub.

Also spotting a sub would mean autodrop something on it (same as fighter consumable attacks CV planes). 

Fighter plane would strafe the sub. 

LOL when the sub also has AA, he can choose to dive or surface and use the AA... 

Or even launch his own spotter plane (would get shot down but the sub would escape damage). 

I can only imagine I-401 have planes but those planes were mainly designed for covert ops bombing. But yeah, spotter planes having deep charges is a pretty damn good idea. AA development for Kriegsmarine sub ended when RN planes started equipping ground strike ordinance since a single rocket was enough to pierce a sub's hull, they went with the crash drive option in the end once Kriegsmarine subs came equipped with radio detectors since most RN planes used radar to detect submarines. This gave them enough time to dive but early german radio detectors spread emission which made them more obvious to be detected. Lol
Later version tho had this fixed.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
30 minutes ago, Elektroboot said:

Tho I don't have much faith for wargaming to bring much realism to subs in this game since it's just an arcade game lol.

I think the way they did it in the Halloween game is good enough. 

1 minute ago, Elektroboot said:

I can only imagine I-401 have planes but those planes were mainly designed for covert ops bombing. But yeah, spotter planes having deep charges is a pretty damn good idea. AA development for Kriegsmarine sub ended when they started equipping ground strike ordinance since a single rocket was enough to pierce a sub's hull, they went with the crash drive option in the end once Kriegsmarine subs came equipped with radio detectors since most RN planes used radar to detect submarines. This game them enough time to dive but early german radio detectors spread emission which made them more obvious to be detected. Lol
Later version tho had this fixed.

Kriegsmarine subs needed no AA because first they just called the Luftwaffe when they were under their "umbrella",

and when they were not they just stayed under... and only popped up where the allied "umbrella" was nil (the black hole).

After the allies filled in the black hole using ASW planes, well they were done for. 

As for the radio they developed the "radio beacon", while they stayed under water themselves.

Players
1,393 posts
12,202 battles

OK. DDs will be tasked with one more task. 

BBs and CAs will have no counterplay nor passive, nor active unless SS is dumb enough to get spotted on surface without ability to dive. 

@MrConway and @Crysantos what ever WG drinking in HQ, they should stop it! NOW! 

P. S. WeeGee, you can forget my wallet, you are not meeting her any soon! 

• Cool 4

Players
671 posts
5,362 battles

BBs and CL/CAs can do absolutely nothing against subs. Wow.

What happens when your dds are dead in 3 minutes as per usual? they can't spot or defend themselves in any way from a sub attack as long as they stay out of detection range which will be easy af, and HOMING TORPEDOES????

Holy [edited]this is going to be a total shitshow.

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
2 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

BBs and CL/CAs can do absolutely nothing against subs. Wow.

Definately can. Look at the beercans on the rear of most cruisers. Some of them even have hydro... 

I'd imagine BBs get something as well. Hydro, asdic, a bunch of depth charges to throw overboard.

Also a periscope-depth sub will not really stand a chance against a BB shell. 

What happens when your dds are dead in 3 minutes as per usual? they can't spot or defend themselves in any way from a sub attack as long as they stay out of detection range which will be easy af, and HOMING TORPEDOES????

think no homing torpedoes coming. They'd already have been here.

Holy [edited]this is going to be a total shitshow.

Boarfff it already is in some points.

Players
671 posts
5,362 battles
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Definately can. Look at the beercans on the rear of most cruisers. Some of them even have hydro... 

I'd imagine BBs get something as well. Hydro, asdic, a bunch of depth charges to throw overboard.

Also a periscope-depth sub will not really stand a chance against a BB shell. 

Boarfff it already is in some points.

You might want to read the article they just published.

No depth charges on cruisers or bbs, and homing torpedoes. Subs will go full speed when underwater.

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
Just now, FishDogFoodShack said:

You might want to read the article they just published.
No depth charges on cruisers or bbs, and homing torpedoes. Subs will go full speed when underwater.

:Smile_teethhappy: I doubt if they put that on the live server. Maybe testing it. 

Even WG won;t believe the game will last longer than a month if they do that.

Players
671 posts
5,362 battles
5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

:Smile_teethhappy: I doubt if they put that on the live server. Maybe testing it. 

Even WG won;t believe the game will last longer than a month if they do that.

You cannot be serious.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
785 posts
4,478 battles

Can't wait for when playing as a DD to spot, cap, DD hunt, hide from planes, defend cap, survive till late game, dodge radars and hunt subs on top of that. I always have this feeling when playing DD's there is not much to do. Unlike BB's who have so many responsibility's resting on their shoulders. "I will snipe from the back line, could you spot for me"  Yuck, BB mains, disgusting. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,393 posts
12,202 battles

"Submarines are relatively slow. Their speed on the surface is a mere 25–30 knots; at periscope depth their speed is reduced further. When underwater, submarines will be able to cruise at the same speed as when at surface level."

WTF ?!?

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
6 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

You cannot be serious.

Au contraire. I thing WG cannot be serious. If they are, this game will end quite fast I believe.

But we'll see, how they do it and then how it turns out. I do believe in the power of stupidity too, so... :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
617 posts
3,366 battles

What I saw so far was cringeworthy and it wasn't because of the subs alone. Seriously, who came up with these ideas??

Players
671 posts
5,362 battles
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Au contraire. I thing WG cannot be serious. If they are, this game will end quite fast I believe.

But we'll see, how they do it and then how it turns out. I do believe in the power of stupidity too, so... :Smile_teethhappy:

All I mean is that the CV rework was not ready for live. Stalingrad was not ready for live. the ntc and colbert are not ready for live ...

WG is all about the sunk cost fallacy. They will NEVER shelve something as long as they have put even the slightest modicum of effort into it.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
1 minute ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

All I mean is that the CV rework was not ready for live. Stalingrad was not ready for live. the ntc and colbert are not ready for live ...

WG is all about the sunk cost fallacy. They will NEVER shelve something as long as they have put even the slightest modicum of effort into it.

Ah, that I agree on. But I think you'll agree with me that it will take less than a month, before only the stupid remains.

I mean, if they reduce the game to the level of kiddie-boom-boom game, well then do not expect to get more than 1€ for a premium ship.

And that means that end of the month the salaries don't get paid... 

[SQRL]
Players
284 posts
12,188 battles

Can't say i'm surprised. Nuclear powered subs are fast, WW2 submerged subs running on batteries are not.  Would realistic electric subs fit into WOWs - nope, hence what looks like a mickey mouse fudge to get reasonable gameplay for subs. 

I'll wait, and see - but not impressed so far!

Players
984 posts
9,658 battles

1. Homing torps apparently work like wire guided missles and Torpedos. And can "Citadel" stuff.

2.Hydro is not detecting Submarines that are below periscope depth.

Almost no counter in current form. Even DD seemes do be in more danger from sub than other way around

Players
3,155 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Well, no they are going to be in game for subs. (although im assuming your watching the stream anyways).

they seem to be quite good so far. but obviously this is still in testing.

they can even citadel ships but they have to actually hit the citadel section. r.i.p below waterline shipus.

[BBMM]
Players
3,736 posts
4,085 battles
1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

(although im assuming your watching the stream anyways).

Only if they show Dasha, and with the sound off. :cap_like:

[LADA]
Players
267 posts
5,618 battles

Best bit - when diving deep (e.g the stage below periscope depth) they are INVISIBLE to everything bar other subs. Not even assured detection by DDs if I'm reading the article right.

The DD also has to play a moronic mini-game just to drop some (AI) depth charges. Just give us a damn button! The sub meanwhile gets a consumable to ignore the charges by diving deeper still. 

Homing torpedoes are as daft and stupid an idea as they sound. 

WG are Muppets. They're weapons grade, bona-fide Muppets. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1