BattleshipGunner

Coal ships - armory

32 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
9,071 posts
46,273 battles

The T9 earns a lot more credits. Though you need to get into techtree T9 first to learn playing. If you wanna have your first premium - yes the Revolution is ok to begin with. When I began playing the game and I got into T5s - I bought the USS Texas. So it’s better for you to begin with T5 as premium for now. In the time you grind up into T8-9 - you’ll have the coal to get some T9 coal ship. Good luck.

• Cool 2

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles
Just now, MacArthur92 said:

The T9 earns a lot more credits. Though you need to get into techtree T9 first to learn playing. If you wanna have your first premium - yes the Revolution is ok to begin with. When I began playing the game and I got into T5s - I bought the USS Texas. So it’s better for you to begin with T5 as premium for now. In the time you grind up into T8-9 - you’ll have the coal to get some T9 coal ship. Good luck.

Well, I do have the New York so maybe the Texas would be a good ship. I only have a hundred battles so maybe buying a premium isn't the best option.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
9,071 posts
46,273 battles
18 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Well, I do have the New York so maybe the Texas would be a good ship. I only have a hundred battles so maybe buying a premium isn't the best option.

Yeah get some coal ship. I see that you’re good on DDs too, so Aigle is an option too. The French DDs are coming so it can be a good commander trainer. 

I bought my 1st premium having about 1k battles. 

• Cool 2

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
2 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Should I save my coal for a tier IX ship or the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya or the Aigle?

Its up to you. Tier 9 premiums do print quite a lot of credits, they also can freely participate in high tier events and missions. Even "tier 5 and above" missions requiring getting specified amount of exp would be easier due to +100% exp gain from camouflage.

Okt.Rev is okay ship, but as tier 5 isn't going to net you many credits and can't participate in PvE Operations, as there are none for tier 5. Aigle is feisty gunboat with surprisingly workable torps, obscene amount of hp and is actually viable pick for tier 6 Operations (Raptor Rescue, Aegis, Newport Defense and Killer Whale), so if gun oriented destroyers tick your fancy, I see nothing wrong with getting her. Turret firing arcs, traverse speed and shell velocity leave something to be desired though

For premium ships purchasable with cold hard cash, I'd advise AGAINST tier 8, due to brutal matchmaking. So either tier 9 or tier 6-7, with latter having PvE Operations option when Randoms piss you off hard enough. Cheaper alternative to (hightier) premium ships is premium paint on tier 10 of choice, turning one from money sink into reliable money maker due to substantial economy gains.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles

Actually, maybe Aigle. I kinda like DD gameplay and I don't think I'm ready for tier IX gameplay, but maybe I will by the time I get enough coal.

(Summary: I'm undecided :cap_yes:)

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
1 hour ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Actually, maybe Aigle. I kinda like DD gameplay and I don't think I'm ready for tier IX gameplay, but maybe I will by the time I get enough coal.

Or you can grind yourself Guepard, FR tier 6 DD (once they are released) to get an idea how Aigle would handle, as they are sisters IIRC.  Main differences would be Main Battery Reload Booster, more consistent gun firing arcs and much faster torps for Guepard while Ayyygle have Smoke, faster gun reload and harder hitting torps.

If you get to like baguette destroyers, you can proceed with line further and get Aigle as midtier premium + captain trainer for FR DDs

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
9,071 posts
46,273 battles
2 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

thank you for the help, I think I will get a tier 9 coal ship. 

1 hour ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yeah Aigle will be best option for you now. Plus it would be a great commander trainer for the upcoming French DD line, you will get the T9 after that. You still don’t know what monsters are on T9 and 10. Going there too fast might be a bad idea.

• Cool 1

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
1 minute ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Ok.

I think aigle would be the best choice atm. FR DDs look fun to play. I always see them speeding round the map everywhere.

They do lack "get out of jail" card like Smoke or Heal compared to other destroyers, so they might prove challenging to play though.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

They do lack "get out of jail" card like Smoke or Heal compared to other destroyers, so they might prove challenging to play though.

How do FR DDs guns compare to Russian DD guns?

Players
3,292 posts
24,965 battles
Am 15.8.2019 um 10:41, BattleshipGunner sagte:

Should I save my coal for a tier IX ship or the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya or the Aigle?

Definitely don't get the Aigle.

It is just garbage.

As for the rest... I used to say if you want an OR, just buy her in the shop cause she is not so expensive and you can use the coal to get other things you can't get in the shop. These days, that last point is not so true any more and as regards the first one, I hate advising people to give WG any money since they broke the game with the carrier rework, and they keep saying and doing other very very silly things.

So YMMV, mainly based on how much you actually like high tier gameplay.

So before you get a Jean Bart, grind the Richelieu and see how you like that. If you then decide you must definitely have one of those on steroids, you can still blow the coal.

• Cool 2

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
2 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

How do FR DDs guns compare to Russian DD guns?

Mid tier 139mm (tier 6 and 7, including Aigle) have pretty slow shell velocity, which makes 10km+ gunnery... interesting against more agile targets, so Russian counterparts are straight up better in terms of hitting stuff. In return, FR have bit more potent HE, both in terms of damage and fire chance. AP performance is similar to RU 130mm.

High tier Croissant DDs, that is Le Fantasque (and her premium sister) as well higher up have long barreled, high velocity 139mm which solve issue of mediocre ballistics. I do not own them, as I haven't found Le Fantasque in French Containers nor I'm interested in purchasing Le Terrible, but based on 3rd party site https://wowsft.com, they should have better ballistics than Russian 130mm/50 B-13 (tier 6 to stock 9) and comparable to 130mm/55, found on upgraded tier 9 and Khabarovsk. All that while packing substantial AP penetration advantage, actually enough to threaten broadside cruisers with citadel hits at medium range. Base range is also pretty good, around 13km, so AFT is "optional" instead "mandatory"

Add to that not-as-bad concealment and potent torpedoes and you end up with a hybrid/multipurpose ship that can go FAST than all out gunboat. Still, neither FR or RU destroyers are good pick for cap contests due to lack of camouflage. They are excellent assist for those who cap though.

• Cool 1

Players
3,292 posts
24,965 battles
Vor 5 Minuten, BattleshipGunner sagte:

May I ask - Why is the Aigle bad?

Gigantically large for a DD => big target, terrible concealment plus clumsy handling. Does nothing well, nothing really stands out, and at the same time, it's sufficiently different from the good French DDs that you want a fairly different commander build. It does get the French 20% speed boost instead of the normal 8% but that's still not enough to really let you speed-tank. The one advantage over other French DDs is the smoke, which means it's not completely helpless against carriers. Big whoop. Really nothing at all ever makes me want to play this ship, except if they offer special incentives maybe. But they didn't even do that much in the French Destroyer event. I'd rather blow the coal on signal flags.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles

@FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Ok, that makes me rethink my decision on that ship. I've heard Jean Bart is good and so is Georgia. So I don't know what to get, I got the British battleship Warspite at Tier VI so maybe a tier 9 premium could be nice. Although, I am aware it will take a long time to get a tier IX coal premium

Players
3,292 posts
24,965 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, BattleshipGunner sagte:

Although, I am aware it will take a long time to get a tier IX coal premium

Well, considering you have a single Tier VI Battle at the moment, it will in all probability also take a bit of time until your skills allow you to do anything worthwhile with it in a high tier battle, especially a ship like Jean Bart which has a higher skill floor than some.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles
2 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Well, considering you have a single Tier VI Battle at the moment, it will in all probability also take a bit of time until your skills allow you to do anything worthwhile with it in a high tier battle, especially a ship like Jean Bart which has a higher skill floor than some.

True, but I'm going down the FR BB line and I will probably be at the Richelieu by the time I get enough coal

[WAR]
Players
428 posts

I buy them all, but NOTHING below T5 as they are no good for competitions.

When I have spare coal, I do buy the older ships for my museum. Take your time buying them, the new ones could always be a dud, the Georgia for example, was all hype from WoWs and a floating rock in battles.

BTW, I play on all servers. The NA is my main home.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
On 8/15/2019 at 4:41 AM, BattleshipGunner said:

Beside what has been said already, at time of writing you have 138 battles; whilst I understand the urge to get the high tier premiums (says he who got MO far too early, for example), I would suggest one of the lower tiers to start with, which will probably be more useful whilst you develop your skill set (unless you're a prodigy, in which case get whatever you want), and - at least as important - develop a few higher point captains.

Okt. Rev. is quite worthwhile, and is a useful trainer for the Russian BBs, if you like that kind of thing; I quite like Aigle since the torps got buffed, but it has a few down-sides and isn't a terribly good vehicle for learning 'how to destroyer' (no smoke, and mediocre detection range, for starters) - it also helps to be using one of the 'magic' French captains (the Honores) with their enhanced EM for maximum mitigation of the horrible turret traverse, which removes the possibility of using the same captain on a French BB (at least optimally, as DD captains want a very different build to those for a BB).

Something to keep in mind is the voucher cycle - you'll have noticed that (if you haven't used it yet) you have a voucher in the Armory (sic) that knocks 25% (I think) off the price of a coal/steel ship; from memory, the current vouchers are valid until late December, when they will be replaced by a new one, valid for another six months. Obviously, this means you can save quite a lot of valuable resources on one ship every six months. So, there might be something to be said for using your current voucher on one of the less expensive coal ships now, and then you'll get a new one in December to perhaps use on one of the higher tier ones later (BTW if you get to a point where you're earning useful quantities of steel, using these vouchers for steel ships is a better idea as steel is harder to earn than coal).

• Cool 1

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
On 8/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Gigantically large for a DD => big target, terrible concealment plus clumsy handling. Does nothing well, nothing really stands out, and at the same time, it's sufficiently different from the good French DDs that you want a fairly different commander build. It does get the French 20% speed boost instead of the normal 8% but that's still not enough to really let you speed-tank. The one advantage over other French DDs is the smoke, which means it's not completely helpless against carriers. Big whoop. Really nothing at all ever makes me want to play this ship, except if they offer special incentives maybe. But they didn't even do that much in the French Destroyer event. I'd rather blow the coal on signal flags.

Size and clumsiness is common issue for, well, "large destroyers". Which, come to think of it, besides lowtiers only USN (though Gearing stretches that) and UK don't fit directly into that description. Germans embrace "large destroyers" from tier 6 onward, IJN gets quite long and clumsy past tier 6, Russians shed any leftovers of sublety and grace by tier 7 with exception of Ognevoi, so does French from tier 5 onwards.

FR DDs across the board have +20% Engine Boost, its not unique to Ayygle. Still lets get her to have (temporary) 43kts top speed and extra acceleration from Engine Boost

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles
17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Beside what has been said already, at time of writing you have 138 battles; whilst I understand the urge to get the high tier premiums (says he who got MO far too early, for example), I would suggest one of the lower tiers to start with

Yeah, I looked at low tier coal premiums but I didn't really find them appealing. Yubari is apparently VERY squishy which is fine but apparently the guns aren't that good.

Campbeltown, I don't think this ship would be enjoyable to play with only one set of torpedo tubes per side.

Btw, I think I should tell you all that I'm not going to get a coal premium untill I reach tier 6 (at least) on all the lines I'm playing.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
4 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yeah, I looked at low tier coal premiums but I didn't really find them appealing. Yubari is apparently VERY squishy which is fine but apparently the guns aren't that good.

Campbeltown, I don't think this ship would be enjoyable to play with only one set of torpedo tubes per side.

Btw, I think I should tell you all that I'm not going to get a coal premium untill I reach tier 6 (at least) on all the lines I'm playing.

I should have been clearer: by 'lower' I essentially meant Okt and Aigle; the *really* low tier ones are arguably better to buy with money (preferably during a sale), and certainly aren't worth using a ship voucher on (all IMO, of course).

Yubari is actually quite worthwhile, for an occasional laugh: put a decent DD captain on her and she does fine - there aren't a lot of guns, but they generally go vaguely where you point them, and she's (comparatively-speaking) quite monstrous against planes. Obviously, if a BB looks at you funny you're probably deader than plaid, but that's not unique to Yubari. I generally play her as a tubby DD with a citadel; thinking in those terms, she's perfectly okay.

Cambeltown is fun, but you'll probably only play her long-term for giggles; there are better captain trainers (Gallant/Cossack), and most missions can't be done in T3s.

Incidentally, if you end up getting a premium that's 'too high tier' for where you've got to in randoms, you can always give them a lash in Coop (e.g. my Alaska lives pretty much entirely in PvE as I'm nowhere near good enough in her to face real people) until you're ready for PvP modes.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,037 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I should have been clearer: by 'lower' I essentially meant Okt and Aigle; the *really* low tier ones are arguably better to buy with money (preferably during a sale), and certainly aren't worth using a ship voucher on (all IMO, of course).

Yubari is actually quite worthwhile, for an occasional laugh: put a decent DD captain on her and she does fine - there aren't a lot of guns, but they generally go vaguely where you point them, and she's (comparatively-speaking) quite monstrous against planes. Obviously, if a BB looks at you funny you're probably deader than plaid, but that's not unique to Yubari. I generally play her as a tubby DD with a citadel; thinking in those terms, she's perfectly okay.

Cambeltown is fun, but you'll probably only play her long-term for giggles; there are better captain trainers (Gallant/Cossack), and most missions can't be done in T3s.

Incidentally, if you end up getting a premium that's 'too high tier' for where you've got to in randoms, you can always give them a lash in Coop (e.g. my Alaska lives pretty much entirely in PvE as I'm nowhere near good enough in her to face real people) until you're ready for PvP modes.

Thanks, that cleared it up a bit.

I'm a bit undecided about Aigle, it seems like it could be a fun DD so I might get it. Right now I'm not very interested in Okt Rev since it's just a premium Gangut (I think) 

• Cool 1