You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AndyHill

Submarines: the next step.

327 comments in this topic

Players
6,935 posts
8,792 battles

Once introduced, the new class will initially be available in a special separate battle type only and this final configuration stage will last for several months. This will allow us to make additional changes to the new class under the conditions of the live server.

Hmm, so main game mode is no longer sandbox for devs to potato their way through?

[CAIN]
Players
2,977 posts
11,758 battles
9 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Wait until they get in their head that they should release Russian fantasy subs that goes 50 + kts. :Smile_teethhappy:

We all know that RU subs during WWII sank the most tonnage, were the most sophisticated and feared weapons. Just look up what W. Churchill said about them...oh wait, that were those german boats. 

RU subs sank the most fish trawlers during WWII tho. 

Which is reason enough to make them OP as frak and make the germans as good as Lidlfried. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[P-W-C]
Players
4,717 posts
26,451 battles
56 minutes ago, tinvek said:

if they make the subs above and below water performance correct relative to existing ships, i'm ok with it

obviously that would severely limit their ability to locate stealthily at the beginning of the match so i'd be happy if they were given a one time "teleport" radius in the first 30 seconds of a game to reflect how subs were often deployed well in advance of hostilities, obviously not large enough to allow them to appear in a cap or in a epicenter ring, but to allow them to be close but they have to be on the surface if they want to cap

also i think they should have to be surfaced to benefit from live minimap information,  after submerging, the map should be frozen and they should be dependent on their own detection abilities for up to date information.

You saw them in the last halloween? I doubt that it would be only surface. 

Beta Tester
2,824 posts
10,598 battles

That they also shoot torps from stealth, doesn't mean they don't play completely different compared to current DDs.

I have been around WG games for quite a while now (2011), and what will happen next is what always happens with any big change to the game:

People will panic and whine about it until and shortly after release. 6-12 months later nobody will really mind the change anymore. 

• Cool 5

[P-W-C]
Players
4,717 posts
26,451 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Hmm, so main game mode is no longer sandbox for devs to potato their way through?

Maybe they'll put them in randoms, you never know.

Beta Tester
2,198 posts
6,520 battles
16 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Wait until they get in their head that they should release Russian fantasy subs that goes 50 + kts. :Smile_teethhappy:

Nah, they'll find the ww2 typhoon prototipe (insert imagination here) :cap_book:

• Funny 1

Players
542 posts
1,929 battles
3 hours ago, FooFaFie said:

But I have to say the implementation of subs is much faster than I thought. Because the game doesn't need it at the moment.

This is something that bugs me. There was that hilarious comment by S_O that 'we realized we'll run out of content soon if we don't do subs', so I'd have thought that pacing themselves a bit with new ships, lines and classes would make sense. E.g. you can work on balance and UI issues, and have more events that don't involve new content as such but can get people spending (e.g. the Sharks vs Eagles thing, the anniversary events). And yet...

Perfectly prepared to accept that I might not be typical in thinking the pace of new content could be safely slowed down though – I'm not as active as some and have no professional knowledge of the industry. I guess I just mean, how about quality over quantity? They seem to be taking a more sensible approach to testing than they did with CVs, but even so.

(Also lol at the idea they only decided to go into full development after the Halloween event).

• Cool 1

Players
6,935 posts
8,792 battles
Just now, MacArthur92 said:

Maybe they'll put them in randoms, you never know.

Separate game mode, being basically clone of Randoms + new class could be one solution. Heck, name it "Test Drive" and throw in some economy bonus, like +20% credits/exp to keep it populated.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,650 posts
12,268 battles

I'm getting serious deja vu now, it's like the latter half of last year all over again.

WG announce CV rework, everyone goes "Yay! About time".

Reworked CVs appear and the same people suddenly go "WTF WG, this is $hit!!!!!!".

A whole half a year of our lives later they finally get them to a point where things aren't quite so bad.

WG announce the introduction of subs, everyone goes "Yay About time".

People really do not catch on quickly, do they...?

• Cool 13

Players
414 posts
8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

We all know that RU subs during WWII sank the most tonnage, were the most sophisticated and feared weapons. Just look up what W. Churchill said about them...oh wait, that were those german boats. 

RU subs sank the most fish trawlers during WWII tho. 

Which is reason enough to make them OP as frak and make the germans as good as Lidlfried. 

Since we are already entering postwar era with a lot of new ships, they can just add something like the Project 705. They can do 41 knots submerged and were actually built. Maybe add a 20% speedboost to get to 50+ knots as a gimmick. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
670 posts
13,441 battles
4 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

"We'll do it properly this time"

"It will be tested in separate game mode for months, we won't rush it"

"We'll do our best to give you best and balanced end product possible"

"Your opinion matters to us"

• Funny 11

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,650 posts
12,268 battles
6 minutes ago, quickr said:

"Yes I stayed over at Mike's but we didn't sleep together"

"It'll be the easiest trade deal in history"

"Our new, improved recipe gives you the best washing powder ever"

"Michael Jackson just wanted those boys as friends"

• Funny 7

Players
6,935 posts
8,792 battles
5 minutes ago, quickr said:

• Funny 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,777 posts
6,227 battles

What I think that Subs will do to the game....

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NWP]
Players
5,911 posts
7,190 battles
15 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

I'm getting serious deja vu now, it's like the latter half of last year all over again.

WG announce CV rework, everyone goes "Yay! About time".

Reworked CVs appear and the same people suddenly go "WTF WG, this is $hit!!!!!!".

Reworked CVs being kinda OP, saying balancing is finished, have some premium CVs "Take my Money WG!!!"

WG nerfing CVs "WTF DID YOU DO NOW?!"

A whole half a year of our lives later they finally get them to a point where things aren't quite so bad.

WG announce the introduction of subs, everyone goes "Yay About time".

FTFY :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
18,913 posts
12,066 battles
1 hour ago, FooFaFie said:

In a game were DDs feel like little speedboats (with endless torps on bord) I wouldn't mind a submarine with a higher speed than the standard BB. But slower than all CA/CL/DDs.

I wouldn't take this game too seriously . 

Then they are just DD....

Players
6,935 posts
8,792 battles
1 minute ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Seriously, can we in the future  have a "No CV-No Sub" mode just to keep it plain vanilla?

How about "No-BB", "No-DD", or "No Warships" so I can play tetris in peace?:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,784 posts
16,198 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

But I seem to recall having read something, somewhere on this forum, about there already being thoughts of anti-submarine weapons on some carriers....?

Was announced for the alt CV line.

Although quite frankly they don't actually need air dropped depth charges or sth along those lines. Regular aircraft weapons such as rockets and bombs were highly effective at killing submarines irl and will likely remain so ingame. Likewise subs were easy to spot from the air even at periscope depth which I quite frankly expect to be represented ingame because LOL balance.

Unless subs are ludicrously op they will not be a CV counter contrary to popular belief. In fact they'll represent an indirect CV buff as CVs likely won't need to do much to kill them while subs have no chance to fight back whatsoever.

May I once again recommend the CN client?

• Cool 4

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
475 posts
11,737 battles

I've just had a chat with some of my clan-members and 100% says : "Hell no!!!"

Everytime subs has come up as a subject I've said: "If subs come, I go!" If a "WoWs:Cold War" based on Cv and subs would come out then I'd have no problem with it, but this game is 1900-1950 and neither CVs or subs were used in naval surface-battles during that time so the history-nerd in me screams at the tought. (CVs were used 1943-1944 in the Western Pacifc and not much elsewhere.)

Game-wise I also think it's a bad idea adding yet another dimension into the game, multitasking and pure stealth-ships. Competitive players will like it but most of the casuals will not. What WG will achieve with this is to "Kick out" alot of old breed players in the hope that new ones will make up for it. Short-term win for a long-term loss.

I'll put a padlock on my wallet for the foreseeable future and my gutfeeling tells me that this will never work in a way that I will like so I might as well start packing up right away. However I will stay long enough to see where this is going but again, no fuzzy warm feeling appears.

• Cool 5

[TAYTO]
Players
488 posts
7,227 battles
13 minutes ago, Panocek said:

How about "No-BB", "No-DD", or "No Warships" so I can play tetris in peace?:Smile_trollface:

You know what I mean, mano a mano mode, no fancy up in the sky or down in the depths.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,650 posts
12,268 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Regular aircraft weapons such as rockets and bombs were highly effective at killing submarines irl and will likely remain so ingame.

Jesus, a guy on a pedalo armed with a catapult would have been highly efficient at the job, that's why subs preferred to pick on unarmed merchant ships.

Actually, thinking about it, most of the playerbase are about as dangerous as unarmed merchant ships so maybe it could work...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5