Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Shungite_Merchant

new player experience anyone?

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
341 posts
15,225 battles

dear WG after your very giving recruitment program, do u think the experience new players find in game is suitable?? i think not, it seems to me you have been too focused on end game content and in game gambling to bother for the last well lets say 2 years now or even more im not sure, 

 

i could go into the problem of KR's and gulios but thats your problem to address, what i want to suggest it to limit the commander skills at the lower tiers, T1 for example, people shouldn't be able to use a 19pt captain maybe a hard limit of a 2nd skill can be used, im not sure and into tiers 3 / 4,, maybe one the 3rd skills can be used,

 

but this is all i can think of, i hope the forum can give better ideas of how to improve new player experience, maybe a T5 FXP ship? (100% does NOT need to be more powerful) just nice

 

you guys need to work on the start not the end all the time

 

thats just whats been bugging me for awhile i hope u take notice and work some thing out

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,106 posts
20,018 battles

Considering I can't see any real positive development in overall player statistics I don't believe anything needs to be done because no significant amount of new players has joined. :Smile_trollface:

 

On a serious note, WG has made it very clear that they aren't interested in improving the experience for new players. And quite frankly for a game that has had a stable playerbase for years (aka which has saturated its audience), focusing more on endgame content and the like makes economic sense.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
341 posts
15,225 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Considering I can't see any real positive development in overall player statistics I don't believe anything needs to be done because no significant amount of new players has joined. :Smile_trollface:

 

On a serious note, WG has made it very clear that they aren't interested in improving the experience for new players. And quite frankly for a game that has had a stable playerbase for years (aka which has saturated its audience), focusing more on endgame content and the like makes economic sense.

oh yeah true, they said on stream they don't care about new players, too focused on there glorious NTC, and its NTC cant re-label hot garbage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
27,243 posts
14,525 battles

Yeah, who does not remember these countless battles on Tier I vs other players to finally advance to Tier II?

Oh right, I do not....

 

Warship Tier Nation Battles Win rate PR Average Damage Avg. frags Avg. planes destroyed  
Hermelin   Hermelin 1 Germany 3 33.33% 1 521 12 906 0.33 0 Details
2 Orlan   Orlan 1 U.S.S.R. 3 66.67% 3 494 23 678 1.67 0 Details
Bougainville   Bougainville 1 France 1 100% 4 138 11 110 3 0 Details
4 Black Swan   Black Swan 1 U.K. 1 100% 2 699 8 794 3 0 Details
Erie   Erie 1 U.S.A. 1 100% 2 080 11 127 1 0 Details
6 Chengan   Chengan 1 Pan-Asia 1 0% 4 689 14 797 5 0 Details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
27,243 posts
14,525 battles
3 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

@ColonelPete i have 4 games on T1 on total on randoms. New players don't have problems on T1, they encounter them on T4.

Armored Sausage claims something different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles

In my opinion making limit to one skill on tier 1, two skills (one first level and one second level) on second tier is reasonable.

That would probably take WG like 1000 man hours to do and is a reason will be not done.

As tier 5 is meeting tier 7 it shall be allowed to use whole 19 points on a captain.

What to do about tier 3 and 4 I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,997 battles

The sealclubbing using high tier captains in low tier ships (yes I am one of them) is part of the game and there will always be someone better or equal to you no matter what tier you are playing. 

 

I felt the "newbie" problem while playing my French destroyers at T5-6 with the 3 point commander, the lack of a 10 point commander and specially lack of concealment expert was what made it feel very hard to compete on equal terms with slot of other players. 

 

To get a 10 point commander you will need 183.000 experience so why not make it so that you recieve 1 skill per T1-4 as well as give free retraining between T1-5. This would allow the new players to progress faster upp the skills, giving them a 10 point commander upon reaching T4 and it would only be applicable on your starter commander for each nation (give him a blue ribbon similar to golden one in the corner for the unique ones, John Doe etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,654 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

In my opinion making limit to one skill on tier 1, two skills (one first level and one second level) on second tier is reasonable.

That would probably take WG like 1000 man hours to do and is a reason will be not done.

As tier 5 is meeting tier 7 it shall be allowed to use whole 19 points on a captain.

What to do about tier 3 and 4 I have no idea.

Give all new players gaining their first and second Tier 3 silver ships a Level 10 Captain and 3 skill respec's for these two Captains.

Sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,106 posts
20,018 battles
1 minute ago, affie said:

The sealclubbing using high tier captains in low tier ships (yes I am one of them) is part of the game and there will always be someone better or equal to you no matter what tier you are playing. 

 

This has already been addressed actually now that I think about it. New players have a completely separate queue (when playing low tier ships) where they will only fight other new players. If not enough new players can be found bots will be used as substitutes (yes, in random, not coop).

I believe this is account level based, so you can't cheat the system.

 

How do I know this? I started anew on the CN server because of the CV rework a while ago and didn't see normal random battles at all unless I was playing E.

 

What does that mean? Well, basically clubbing seals isn't actually clubbing seals. Every player you encounter in low tiers is technically speaking a veteran.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
10 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Give all new players gaining their first and second Tier 3 silver ships a Level 10 Captain and 3 skill respec's for these two Captains.

Sorted.

Would cost WG money (or rather prevent players from spending money).

 

And overall: I can club as well with a 3 point captain as with a 19 point captain. It's the experience I have as a player that is the deciding factor by a huge margin.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LEEUW]
Players
2,464 posts
10,110 battles

Maybe create a program where veterans can sign up to be a mentor to new players. So newbies have someone to ask their questions to. Maybe wit a big fat "i" button in port. (Obviously they can ask the forum but I think that about 0.01% of new players actually visits the forums when they start playing.)

 

Why would veterans do this? Create a small reward for doing it. Maybe flags, camos, credits, coals, etc. If it's prone to abuse make it so that the system that asigns veterans to newbies is random. Or that the reward of the veteran depends on the opinion from the newbie if the help was useful or not. 

 

#showerthoughts :Smile_hiding:

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
7 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Why would veterans do this? Create a small reward for doing it.

Tie it to the referral program and you're good to go.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,001 posts
14,454 battles
1 hour ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Maybe create a program where veterans can sign up to be a mentor to new players. So newbies have someone to ask their questions to. Maybe wit a big fat "i" button in port. (Obviously they can ask the forum but I think that about 0.01% of new players actually visits the forums when they start playing.)

 

Why would veterans do this? Create a small reward for doing it. Maybe flags, camos, credits, coals, etc. If it's prone to abuse make it so that the system that asigns veterans to newbies is random. Or that the reward of the veteran depends on the opinion from the newbie if the help was useful or not. 

 

#showerthoughts :Smile_hiding:

This is essentially the Recruitment Station, as the Recruiter gets more tokens the more battles his Shipmates play (and bonus tokens for playing in Divisions). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LEEUW]
Players
2,464 posts
10,110 battles
1 hour ago, DanSilverwing said:

This is essentially the Recruitment Station, as the Recruiter gets more tokens the more battles his Shipmates play (and bonus tokens for playing in Divisions). 

And it essentially gave us bots instead of new players. :cap_book:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
9 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

And it essentially gave us bots instead of new players.

What gave us bots was the 20$/€ Payback thingy.

 

The recruitment station is just what the referral link was. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles
3 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Maybe create a program where veterans can sign up to be a mentor to new players. So newbies have someone to ask their questions to. Maybe wit a big fat "i" button in port. (Obviously they can ask the forum but I think that about 0.01% of new players actually visits the forums when they start playing.)

 

Why would veterans do this? Create a small reward for doing it. Maybe flags, camos, credits, coals, etc. If it's prone to abuse make it so that the system that asigns veterans to newbies is random. Or that the reward of the veteran depends on the opinion from the newbie if the help was useful or not. 

 

#showerthoughts :Smile_hiding:

I'd be completly down for sutch a program, i'm already helping my sole (for now) recruit to get the hang of the game, a mentoring program would help new players allot. 

And im sure allot of veterans would be more than happy to participate. :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles

Created a fresh account on NA not long ago and the experience was very streamlined and convenient..and up to t7 I didn't miss a prem account.

Made heavy use of twitch drops, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
341 posts
15,225 battles

Pretty much all of here can go out with a 7 point cap and seal club in a omaha if we wish, but to my original post, and what I've seen over the last month either reddit, the forum or global fanbase was new players saying it is bad, u know we all love this game, and I do want the new players to love the game also, I'm not sure what needs to be done to improve it, I hope WG puts some resources into it, u know a player that quits after 500 games isn't going to spend money but a player that breaks 1000 games most likely will, so I guess its in WG be interest to focus on the new player experience for awhile,

 

The space battles was a meme, alot of new players had the chance to try out the big ships, but they literally got nuked I'm guessing that might not have been enjoyable for them, maybe the next group of space battles or fun mode has a human vs bot mode first that needs to be completed before the pvp, like a ranking thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
13 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

How do I know this? I started anew on the CN server because of the CV rework a while ago and didn't see normal random battles at all unless I was playing E.

 

What does that mean? Well, basically clubbing seals isn't actually clubbing seals. Every player you encounter in low tiers is technically speaking a veteran.

But CN server is full of bots in random battles. At least that's what Farazelleth said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,106 posts
20,018 battles
15 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

But CN server is full of bots in random battles. At least that's what Farazelleth said.

 

Oh ffs....

By bots I mean actual WG bots. Those with :: in their name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,018 posts
11,800 battles
15 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Maybe create a program where veterans can sign up to be a mentor to new players. So newbies have someone to ask their questions to. Maybe wit a big fat "i" button in port. (Obviously they can ask the forum but I think that about 0.01% of new players actually visits the forums when they start playing.)

 

Why would veterans do this? Create a small reward for doing it. Maybe flags, camos, credits, coals, etc. If it's prone to abuse make it so that the system that asigns veterans to newbies is random. Or that the reward of the veteran depends on the opinion from the newbie if the help was useful or not. 

 

#showerthoughts :Smile_hiding:

Are mentors allowed to give newer players a running $*&@ slap if they do something stupid? Sorry, I'm old school.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,979 posts
11,604 battles

I got several friends playing wows now. One is too occupied trying out carriers and the other's complaints include (and I kid you not) his team's DDs dying too fast after which he is powerless to fight the enemy DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,979 posts
11,604 battles
On 8/14/2019 at 12:22 AM, Shaka_D said:

Are mentors allowed to give newer players a running $*&@ slap if they do something stupid? Sorry, I'm old school.

I did when one of them had started complaining that he could not enter random battles anymore and had to play a vast amount of coop battles "for punishment!" :Smile_teethhappy:

 

Turned out he thought it was ok to leave the battle before he had died to save a little time (he was probably already going to die anyway, so he didn't think much of it at the time but it's a bad habit and thankfully he quit that bad one :Smile-_tongue:).

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×