You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bad_Boy_Bon_Bon_Biter

13th Season Ranked Battles.

80 comments in this topic

Players
1,717 posts

After so far playing 28 battles, as usual,  I feel it is obvious that there are a few ships that are "standing out" from the rest ( 4 actually ) 

What ship do you pick and why do you pick that ship or ships for this season?

~~~

• Bad 1

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles

Fletcher. Solid DD. 

Seattle.  Radar, hydro, IFHE, 9.6k and heal.  Fantastic.

JB. fast load + reload booster! Spood beast. Slaps up the Musahi's and wrecks anything else.

The more Alaska's and K'stads on the red team the better. They don't have the dpm to capitalise on radar. Seattle can sneak in and kill any dd then hide and burn down the bb's.  

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,164 battles

Mushasi because lol pen

Seriously though it's one of the few ships that work extremely well with no aa

Another ship I ain't took yet into ranked is fletcher but by god its probably best dd in the game and should be epic

Players
1,717 posts

On my personal spread sheet, for ships I have encountered so far in this season ( yes I do keep records ) 

I am a little shocked at how well HMS Lion is doing, I do not play it personally, it was a while ago I grinded it out, and cant remember its idiosyncrasy's, but at the time the clan I was in was all about getting Conquerors in the clan for snipe and burn divisions  

Players
2,962 posts
16,897 battles

Kitakaze, because it's a 3-in-1 multitool and fears not ship 1v1 (except another kitakaze).

DDs: bury them under an avalance of 100 mm shells.

Radar CAs: Bury them under an avalance of shells since you out-dpm them 

BB: You guessed it.

Oh and if for some reason you're allowed into 12 km torp range of BBs (Ilike, after burning their DDs to the ground), feels free to add them to the carnage.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

Dont have T9 carryboates.

That leaves backline fappers and cosplay-backline fappers.

Of the later: while play Alaska/Kron when you can just can play Missouri?

On the former: Not parasitising my team means (stock) Iowa, (stock) FDG and Izumo are out; instead bringing my best/p2w: Musashi and Missouri - with at least p2w infused 16 pts captains from other ships.

Regular T9 techtree shitcruiser? Bítch please!, I am shitcruiser main so ofc I know to not play them.

• Bad 1

[CR33D]
Players
28 posts
6,864 battles

Georgia does well - its speed can really mess with deployments and the secondaries are good at suppressing destroyers from the second line (think 5km behind your own DDs). 

Buffalo is surprisingly effective - it can tank the Alsace and JB (which are very common) and crushes other cruisers. The 10km, long duration radar is also very useful - it is slightly better than Seattle in this regard. 

Musashi is obvious (HP Pool and LOLpen) but it is more vulnerable to DD shenanigans than JB, Georgia or Alsace due to its lack of mobility and poor close-range dispersion. 

JB is obvious (MBRB + all-frontal guns and good mobility)

Missouri is also a strong choice (radar, mobility, slightly higher volley alpha than Georgia or JB when using all 9 guns)

I would stay away from FDG, Izumo, Lion (the heal is nice, but you have no way to deal with DDs and have trouble dealing high alpha volleys due to the bad firing angles and sketchy dispersion) and pretty much any cruiser which doesn't have radar. 

Stay away from Battlecruisers - they are terrible in a meta which is BB + DD, as they are ineffective against either. (To be honest, I consider CBs ineffective against everything unless you are facing potatoes). 

DDs: Kitakaze, Black, Jutland, Fletcher. Yugumo is a decent niche choice if the queue is BB-heavy but can't hang in a gunfight, Benham is similar. Z-46 is just a worse Jutland. The Russian and french DDs are just too easily detected - they will be picked off without being able to contest effectively. 

Basically, Premiums and Kitakaze, everything else is second tier. 

[TES6L]
Players
228 posts
11,101 battles
3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Georgia does well - its speed can really mess with deployments and the secondaries are good at suppressing destroyers from the second line (think 5km behind your own DDs). 

Buffalo is surprisingly effective - it can tank the Alsace and JB (which are very common) and crushes other cruisers. The 10km, long duration radar is also very useful - it is slightly better than Seattle in this regard. 

Musashi is obvious (HP Pool and LOLpen) but it is more vulnerable to DD shenanigans than JB, Georgia or Alsace due to its lack of mobility and poor close-range dispersion. 

JB is obvious (MBRB + all-frontal guns and good mobility)

Missouri is also a strong choice (radar, mobility, slightly higher volley alpha than Georgia or JB when using all 9 guns)

I would stay away from FDG, Izumo, Lion (the heal is nice, but you have no way to deal with DDs and have trouble dealing high alpha volleys due to the bad firing angles and sketchy dispersion) and pretty much any cruiser which doesn't have radar. 

Stay away from Battlecruisers - they are terrible in a meta which is BB + DD, as they are ineffective against either. (To be honest, I consider CBs ineffective against everything unless you are facing potatoes). 

DDs: Kitakaze, Black, Jutland, Fletcher. Yugumo is a decent niche choice if the queue is BB-heavy but can't hang in a gunfight, Benham is similar. Z-46 is just a worse Jutland. The Russian and french DDs are just too easily detected - they will be picked off without being able to contest effectively. 

Basically, Premiums and Kitakaze, everything else is second tier. 

I dont agree about FdG.

Was sceptical but use it last night and it works well (secondary/IFHE) Often 30-50k scondary dmg plus fires.

Hydro is also nice addition in 6 vs 6.

Tricky part is to get in right position fast.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,822 posts
8,898 battles
8 hours ago, MeTaLMooSe said:

Seattle.  Radar, hydro, IFHE, 9.6k and heal. Fantastic. Seattle can sneak in and kill any dd then hide and burn down the bb's.  

I would pick the Buffalo every day over the Seattle, for the same reasons. 

• Cool 1

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles
1 hour ago, principat121 said:

Buffalo is solid but I've just sold it. Never really set my world on fire and I found it clumsy. 

Despite its universal hatred I really like Seattle.  It's just a Cleveland but that's no bad thing. 

Players
2,305 posts

As far as I am concerned, as a DD main, in the games I have played the larger consorts seem to forget that by leaving the radar equipped Cruisers and BB's unmolested and intact the allied DD's die...

For the whole of my last game the enemy Alaska was hardly touched until I got a torpedo into it late on in the game.. one by one the allied DD's were killed solely because of its radar... I made it to the end with 3 hp...

I got to rank 10 now I am stuck back at 12... frustrating isn't the word right now...

952931793_Screenshot(317).thumb.png.b5d42f85e77adfb06b008d0a365c0bf1.png

415524607_Screenshot(318).thumb.png.dd0e00d48e7b5523629c57f572736537.png

1284534086_Screenshot(319).thumb.png.a2de8ec03f05685f63866fded48af0f8.png

718239394_Screenshot(320).thumb.png.1e0a89f7cdbc4dd009c9d1a58c3b6dc2.png

• Cool 2

Players
1,717 posts
10 hours ago, havaduck said:

Of the later: while play Alaska/Kron when you can just can play Missouri?

I think I am reading this right?

Missouri is not the ship to play for 6 v 6 No Cvs

image.thumb.png.3d7915141213e2377d657dddb56d9050.png

Yes you might see the nasty Kitakaze, Black, Fletcher, Chung Mu,  etc etc, you might even get a shot of on them, ( better pray it one shots them )

By the time you shoot, the torps will already be in the water 2 km from you, and you havn't got the time to get out of the way , you be dead by the time your second salvo is re-loading.

From experience Missouri doesnt like focus fire, it lives on shoot and disengage, Hit and Run. Because it has Radar ever one perceives it as some sort of magic super boat and shoots at you from any where they can. 

Thus you will be playing at 14km~~ish, The radar will be useless, and you will not be a lot of help to " your team "

image.thumb.png.66e36dc9631e6424b02c3029e148deaf.png

a Good Kitakaze ( nick name KIT HAZE ~ note the Haze bit ) and Chung Mu Commander will eat you alive, but hey ho if I am wrong I would like to know 

:Smile_honoring:

Edited by CaptStevSmith
spelling error pre 2nd cup of coffee

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,444 posts
2 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I got to rank 10 now I am stuck back at 12... frustrating isn't the word right now...

But don't you know? As soon as you hit rank 10 you stop playing. Only way to preserve your sanity.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

I started with the Jutland, and, well, I have yet to change. Such a solid DD, with plenty of tools. It is superior to even the Fletcher in my opinion.

• Cool 2

Players
2,962 posts
16,897 battles
1 hour ago, CaptStevSmith said:

I think I am reading this right?

Missouri is not the ship to play for 6 v 6 No Cvs

Most of the time, DDs are best.

Missouri is best suited for aggressive and mobile skirmishing. Keep on the move wasd'ing vs torps and keep pushing in and DDs will eternally be in range.

Nowadays, there are many counters to Missouri in ranked - eg. Mushi overmatch and HE spam (kita, cruisers)

Then again, Kitakaze kan kite pretty much ANY non-Kitakaze to death (Jutland can fight it evenly too, but lacks the HE pen to threaten bigger ships).

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles
1 hour ago, CaptStevSmith said:

From experience Missouri doesnt like focus fire, it lives on shoot and disengage, Hit and Run. Because it has Radar ever one perceives it as some sort of magic super boat and shoots at you from any where they can.  

I have never ever had any issues surviving in this ship, if Missouri cant get close enough to use radar then Alaska or any other cruiser is completely out of the question.  And yes its use is there to deny by simple presence. I have 12 km conceamlent and incredible speed so if no DD is close I can disengage at will - which I usually dont want because I lock them down. In generall with 35 knts I can reposition or push in like any other (usually better because I dont have to dodge like a drunk) shitcruiser. Radar has other uses than to simply screw over the DDs. It deters them,true, but its even more useful in potentially catching others in unspotted cover; targets which others of my team might have shots at. For DDs the radar is either a team-effort, or later in the game when DDs are damaged, to finish one off. And I rather shoot once with accurate, lol pen, slow flight time shells than shitty floating cruiser lampions that do no damage thanks to saturation. BCs are an exception here ofc, but thats why they are cosplay-BBs that are cruisers only by Icon and ofc p2w. 

On the focus, again, better they focus me and deal barely any damage because I am in a mighty battlefuck, then broadsiding potatoes - which then makes it a guaranteed loss.

Again, holy fúck, Missouri not tanky, I still gotta digest that one; as a player of shitcruisers my standards are ..... "different". But it explains the QQ of the BB-population on the forum. Even farming JBs with Musashi (I should know  because I did that) takes some time and keeps your guns from engaging other targets.

4 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Most of the time, DDs are best.

This; but as I said, I dont have T9 carry-boats (T8: Cossack, Kiev).

4 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Nowadays, there are many counters to Missouri in ranked - eg. Mushi overmatch and HE spam (kita, cruisers)

I can deal with both, and easier than lets say in a shitcruiser like T9 german Ruin, for example.

5 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Then again, Kitakaze kan kite pretty much ANY non-Kitakaze to death (Jutland can fight it evenly too, but lacks the HE pen to threaten bigger ships)

This. However I rather be in a battlefuck where I can also dish out some damage and where it takes said Kita considerable time to farm me. Time, that in theory, my potatoes can then use to win the game.

• Cool 1

Players
2,305 posts

Once again the message about radar and DD's is ignored... time for a break.

Some really dumb players in ranked the last 2 days....

196704840_Screenshot(323).thumb.png.3cbf25d0c705c4eeb28bf6458375f5b6.png

Players
1,717 posts
4 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Once again the message about radar and DD's is ignored... time for a break.

Some really dumb players in ranked the last 2 days....

The 1st 3 ships to go out of my last game 

image.png.a4216a1100eb174f387bd0dbbb2437bc.png

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,798 posts
14,068 battles
1 hour ago, Bellegar said:

As soon as you hit rank 10 you stop playing. Only way to preserve your sanity.

This. In spades.

I think I mainly used a mixture of Black (smoke/radar always helpful in a DD-heavy environment) and Jutland - the latter partly because I was making heavy use of Haida in the last Sprints and it plays similarly.

• Cool 4

Players
2,305 posts
12 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

The 1st 3 ships to go out of my last game 

image.png.a4216a1100eb174f387bd0dbbb2437bc.png

I so wish that in the games I have played in my teams had such intelligence... I even posted at the start to kill Alaska or I will not survive against 12km radar...

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,338 posts
7,426 battles
7 hours ago, principat121 said:

Of course you would, I mean why wouldn't you....wait...hang on...

5 hours ago, MeTaLMooSe said:

Buffalo is solid but I've just sold it.

Y7AVgp8.gif

why?

5 hours ago, MeTaLMooSe said:

Despite its universal hatred I really like Seattle.  It's just a Cleveland but that's no bad thing. 

Sounds like your trying to convince your self here.........:cap_yes: Each to their own I guess....

Players
2,305 posts

OMG!!! A TEAM THAT GOT IT.... VICTORY!!!

712366808_Screenshot(324).thumb.png.683a059a9c67aacd8f633413ca0fefe7.png

Enemy SOYUZ ate 7 torpedoes... had to finish him off by guns.

• Cool 2

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Of course you would, I mean why wouldn't you....wait...hang on...

Y7AVgp8.gif

why?

Sounds like your trying to convince your self here.........:cap_yes: Each to their own I guess....

I'd unlocked DM so px'd Buffalo for a nice DM with only one previous owner  (lady vicar) and full service history.....

But seriously I was going to free XP seattle but figured I'd give her a go. I really like the ship it's solid. 

I never found a groove for Buffalo and prefer Henry for open water kiting and Hindy for bullying. 

Can't argue with a full Buffo AP broadside though. It's a beautiful thing!