You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ErickBloodGun

Roma battleship worth of it?

42 comments in this topic

Players
195 posts
5,706 battles

I heard bb Roma is mostly used by nostalgic Italian players, who usually complain (perhaps rightfully) because they do not have any monster to play with their own flag!

In some (recent) youtube videos the ship seems to perform quite well, but I found several skeptical reviews on the web.

What are the YES and NHA of this ship? is it a good choice for spending around 11K doublons (!!!)?

Consider I mostly play German battleships, but i found no sense in taking the Tirpitz when I already enjoy the Bismarck and dont want to lose the hydro. 
I'm not a real fun of sniping at enormous distances and it seems that the Roma with her good detection radius is meant to perform better in close-medium range

Players
10,665 posts
12,133 battles

Primary flaw - glorious tier 8 matchmaking, which writes off any premium ship unless it has some spectacular gimmicks.

Don't have Roma myself, but one constant flaw regularly coming up is her lackluster accuracy. Armor wise, she have exposed citadel IIRC, but armor scheme favors you when you can angle it, otherwise its quite stealthy and fast battleship with armament being loaded with pizza (inaccurate and notorious to overpen guns, shoddy secondary and garbage AA). 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
110 posts

Her gunnery is..trollish, almost worse than the Germans. However, she turns well, has good concealment, and her guns do have good penetration. Overall, I play her a lot and like her. I find her a fun ship.

• Cool 6

[RODS]
Players
1,962 posts
7,828 battles

If you already have the Tirpitz, Massachusettes, Alabama, Lenin, Kii and Gascoine and still want to buy a premium BB at tier 8 then yes.

Maneuverability and stealth are its strong sides, however her guns are all over the place and if you do by chance hit they overpen, the guns also lack in range at 18.1 km, in my opinion the only tier 8 BB that is worse is the Vanguard.

[THESO]
Players
8,743 posts
44,589 battles

Frustrating guns, overpens on broadside CA, secondaries weak with bad range and weak AA. The range is also lacking. The HE is underwhelming. Though can devastate other BBs when the shells go where you aim. Hard to play BB. Also has high citadel. 

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

@OP Sadly - no, I have her and I take her out from time to time, even had some decent matchess in her but I cant say I can really recommend her to anyone in her current state as her guns are simply to wonky to be worth it, she might be valuable as a RM ship to history and RM fans but from the sole gameplay perspective there are better choices

Players
195 posts
5,706 battles

Doesn't sound like worth 12K doublons. I'd rather bought yesterday night the Prinz Eugen, changing completly what I believed I would have purchased. 
As for BB I have at t8 my bismarck which is a monster, and didn't see the point in taking the Roma at the end, which despite being a premium sounds like worse under several aspects than the bismarck.

Bismarck has: excellent tanky abilities (although she is weak against HE spammers), good manouvrability, good hydro, when on a seconday build, insane secondary power and range, the main battery may seem weak, overall at long distances, but I tend to keep high damage despite the dispersion, in close range at his tier she has no rivals (only her sister tirpitz)

And Roma? manouvrability and stealth and... dunno. Not worth those money I believe.

Btw I took the Prinz since im no cruiser focused but I would have liked to have a good cruiser in my port in any case, and german branded :D

Players
1,738 posts
15,005 battles
3 minutes ago, EiricBloodgun said:

Doesn't sound like worth 12K doublons. I'd rather bought yesterday night the Prinz Eugen, changing completly what I believed I would have purchased. 
As for BB I have at t8 my bismarck which is a monster, and didn't see the point in taking the Roma at the end, which despite being a premium sounds like worse under several aspects than the bismarck.

Bismarck has: excellent tanky abilities (although she is weak against HE spammers), good manouvrability, good hydro, when on a seconday build, insane secondary power and range, the main battery may seem weak, overall at long distances, but I tend to keep high damage despite the dispersion, in close range at his tier she has no rivals (only her sister tirpitz)

And Roma? manouvrability and stealth and... dunno. Not worth those money I believe.

Btw I took the Prinz since im no cruiser focused but I would have liked to have a good cruiser in my port in any case, and german branded :D

I find in T10 matches Roma can be a serious " Nuisance " there spotter plane seems to work well for players that play it a lot.

Players
3,664 posts
12,621 battles

Really Wonky guns, Over-pen city, exposed cit and it's completely at the mercy of CV's.

However it can angle well and take a beating.

But no-one likes to play the pinata... 

254 battles and you've already brought a premium tier 8 ship?  Welcome to the pain....

Players
195 posts
5,706 battles
Proprio ora, Redcap375 ha scritto:

Really Wonky guns, Over-pen city, exposed cit and it's completely at the mercy of CV's.

However it can angle well and take a beating.

But no-one likes to play the pinata... 

254 battles and you've already brought a premium tier 8 ship?  Welcome to the pain....

This is my secondary account. I have around 1.5k battle experience atm and much more in wows blitz, but that is completly different :D

Btw yes, when I get to t8 my kill defeat ratio plunges despite i play decently and make a lot of damage and some kills. I had around 67% less than a week ago (i was going pretty well with my gneise!), now I got 59%...

[88888]
Players
967 posts
11,110 battles

It looks gorgeous and can be rewarding if the MM helps and you learn how to compensate for its weaknesses. Also even with wonky guns, projectiles go so fast it feels good.

Thrown into a bad mix and you struggle.

But she's a beauty.

Players
1,738 posts
15,005 battles
4 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

It looks gorgeous and can be rewarding if the MM helps and you learn how to compensate for its weaknesses. Also even with wonky guns, projectiles go so fast it feels good.

Thrown into a bad mix and you struggle.

But she's a beauty.

The Beer Tin is a " Bit Out There " for a  Naval traditionalist .

image.thumb.png.b7f261a6249ad6842f05aa07f48f4e54.png

image.thumb.png.65195e84a98111331641577e059a8518.png

I personally, can live with out the extra wonga, the amount of times I play it.

image.png.e3d58f5d8b70099e0269cd9b41410e13.png

Players
3,664 posts
12,621 battles
19 minutes ago, EiricBloodgun said:

This is my secondary account. I have around 1.5k battle experience atm and much more in wows blitz, but that is completly different :D

Btw yes, when I get to t8 my kill defeat ratio plunges despite i play decently and make a lot of damage and some kills. I had around 67% less than a week ago (i was going pretty well with my gneise!), now I got 59%...

Oh re-roll account.  God so many of them now-a-days. 

It's tier 8 mate, its the worst tier MM wise for any ship.  And the Pin doesn't do well in it, not when faced against a Hindy. 

Take the Vlad.. Outright too strong for tier 8 CB's but every game i have had in it for randoms, i have been the only 1-2 tier 8 in a tier 10 game.  It's painful with pitterful short range adn things like IFHE Henri, Yosh, , Hindy, Conq ect...

I never keep tier 8 ships unless i know it will always pull it's weight in tier 10 games (Like the KIDD, Lo-Yang and Massa, Cv players the Enterprise).  I will sell the Vlad after CB's and the grind up to the tier 9.

Krem, Pyotr and Sinoip are the main keepers manly due to MM issues. Until they nerf bat them when enough people have them, you watch. They are all extremely strong for their tiers and don't suffer MM as bad.

Always go into tier 8 games knowing you will get tier 10 games.

Funny how tier 7 ranked, tier 8 CB's and in time tier 10 CB's have/will be dominated by Russian BB's. :cap_tea: (didn't see that coming did we). Comical really. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,738 posts
15,005 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

Oh re-roll account.  God so many of them now-a-days. 

It's tier 8 mate, its the worst tier MM wise for any ship.  And the Pin doesn't do well in it, not when faced against a Hindy. 

Take the Vlad.. Outright too strong for tier 8 CB's but every game i have had in it for randoms, i have been the only 1-2 tier 8 in a tier 10 game.  It's painful with pitterful short range adn things like IFHE Henri, Yosh, , Hindy, Conq ect...

I never keep tier 8 ships unless i know it will always pull it's weight in tier 10 games (Like the KIDD, Lo-Yang and Massa).  I will sell the Vlad after CB's and the grind up to the tier 9.

Krem, Pyotr and Sinoip are the main keepers manly due to MM issues. Until they nerf bat them when enough people have them, you watch. 

Very good points Captain,

I always see them following Yamo,s, so " Big Brother " Screws your hit points then the Pain in the A$$, Kills YOU ~~~~~ must of happen 4 or 5 times last week to My Montana, to the point I was wondering if there was " something I do not know about The Roma " 

I even got it out of " moth balls" to have a couple of games with it, I was starting to get paranoid on the Regia Marina Finest....

I be interested to see if RM Imperio, makes it to the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Roma_(1940)

[88888]
Players
967 posts
11,110 battles
25 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

The Beer Tin is a " Bit Out There " for a  Naval traditionalist .

image.thumb.png.b7f261a6249ad6842f05aa07f48f4e54.png

image.thumb.png.65195e84a98111331641577e059a8518.png

I personally, can live with out the extra wonga, the amount of times I play it.

image.png.e3d58f5d8b70099e0269cd9b41410e13.png

When I am in need of attention wear that camo. You can tell who is new because they will ask you and joke about the beer can. It never fails.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
8,743 posts
44,589 battles

If you wanna get a T8 premium BB - Massachusetts.

Kii, Tirpitz and Vanguard aren't bad choices too. 

Roma is too trollish.

• Cool 3

[BODEM]
Players
853 posts
7,493 battles

I personally had the same doubt about the ship when it caught my interest. The forums then too were very inconclusive. Some loved her and did well in her, some told me not to get her because she was rubbish, some told her they got her because she was beautiful. 

Now I don't think she is a real beauty, but l bought her because of her supposed pluspoints and she does not dissapoint. Sails like a dream, hard hitting too. Guns can be random in dispersion, but not more than most other ships imo. One of my fave ships in the game from the 78 I own.

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts
15,005 battles
26 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

I personally had the same doubt about the ship when it caught my interest. The forums then too were very inconclusive. Some loved her and did well in her, some told me not to get her because she was rubbish, some told her they got her because she was beautiful. 

Now I don't think she is a real beauty, but l bought her because of her supposed pluspoints and she does not dissapoint. Sails like a dream, hard hitting too. Guns can be random in dispersion, but not more than most other ships imo. One of my fave ships in the game from the 78 I own.

Actually, bringing her out of Mothballs last week, made me " Love Her " again, sort of driving a  Alfa Remeo Giulietta Spider, you know you need to pack a tool kit, but when it works, Boy was it worth it.

~~~~

Wonder if that will work with 2 of My X wives ????

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
853 posts
7,493 battles
41 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

Actually, bringing her out of Mothballs last week, made me " Love Her " again, sort of driving a  Alfa Remeo Giulietta Spider, you know you need to pack a tool kit, but when it works, Boy was it worth it.

~~~~

Wonder if that will work with 2 of My X wives ????

That's exactly the thing. She not OP at all, but she's a very unique ship and very lovable. 

• Cool 1

[_DMP_]
Players
651 posts
62 battles

I love her too:) the guns can be trolling but lol if they hit. You have great penetration so you can punish broadsiding bbs hard. I once Dev striked an amagi. The best thing about this ship is the concealment. You can sneak up to the enemy shot from abou 11km and disappear again. I don't like the range of the ship as it makes her hard to play in T10 mm but overall it's a great ship and looks awesome. Not Italian aswell btw. 

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

Yeeees, you sail to 11km - fire aaaand get 4 overpens as result... And then the entire enemy IHFE squad +2-3 bbs starts the show

• Cool 1

Players
5,398 posts
24,445 battles

For me this ship behave like Mutsu. Yes - You can do a lot of damage, but it's often a huge struggle, becouse both have crazy dispertion and produce a lot of overpens. And one mistake and You are dead, "thanks" to high citadel.

• Cool 1