You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ace42X

Best range to position Yamato at?

64 comments in this topic

Players
312 posts

Simple question:  What range do you want to engage people from as the Yamato?

I spent most of my LM grind trying to snipe from long-range with its supposedly accurate guns, and finding it to be lacklustre.  On the plus side, a few flukey cits (but too spread out to be of much value), and great survivability and the ability to threaten and intimidate people approaching CPs from perfect safety.  On the downside, very passive and ineffectual mechanically.

While doing so, I noticed the guns seem to give the enemy an immunity-zone at about 16km or so where I was ricochetting vs cruisers - so have been trying to close distance to 10-12km in recent games with generally more positive results.  It's certainly more fun getting yourself in harm's way and concentrating shells into bow-on targets.

I was wondering what other players aim to achieve with the Yammy, naturally you don't want to get too close to a GKF who'll bounce a lot of your shells (max range cits vs GKF from plunging fire is nice when you can fluke it, though) - and despite excellent torpedo bulges you don't want to show your side to swarms and swarms of fish - but aside from being cautious about this, is getting into mid-close range to maximise accuracy and penetration where it's at?

[_DMP_]
Players
651 posts
Vor 25 Minuten, Ace42X sagte:

Simple question:  What range do you want to engage people from as the Yamato?

I spent most of my LM grind trying to snipe from long-range with its supposedly accurate guns, and finding it to be lacklustre.  On the plus side, a few flukey cits (but too spread out to be of much value), and great survivability and the ability to threaten and intimidate people approaching CPs from perfect safety.  On the downside, very passive and ineffectual mechanically.

While doing so, I noticed the guns seem to give the enemy an immunity-zone at about 16km or so where I was ricochetting vs cruisers - so have been trying to close distance to 10-12km in recent games with generally more positive results.  It's certainly more fun getting yourself in harm's way and concentrating shells into bow-on targets.

I was wondering what other players aim to achieve with the Yammy, naturally you don't want to get too close to a GKF who'll bounce a lot of your shells (max range cits vs GKF from plunging fire is nice when you can fluke it, though) - and despite excellent torpedo bulges you don't want to show your side to swarms and swarms of fish - but aside from being cautious about this, is getting into mid-close range to maximise accuracy and penetration where it's at?

Well. In the beginning of the match I play her around from 16-20km. You won't hit much but you don't want to expose yourself to he spam. After 5 min (most of the time) when I know where the enemy is I decide whether I turn and kite away or whether I stay. When I turn away the combat distance stays at 16-20km. You have great armor with Yama when angled. Just be careful to don't pick a fight on mid range with one of your sisters and if you do so be sure you sink her first. I prefer it to fight at 15-12km but you need to know what you are facing. If it's to much you have to turn away. You have the greatest guns in game but you are not a brawler. 1 vs 1 a Yama wins vs every bb besides Kremlin maybe. You can also overmatvh every cruiser which is not Russian. Against a Currywurst aim for the superstructer and you will make 10k each solvo if he's in a bad angle. So yeah my fave distance is about 15-12 km. 

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,348 posts
7,467 battles
5 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

Best place for a Yamato, is behind a rock.

Safest Place for it is back in port where its pain work can not get burned.

image.thumb.png.9b12550377190bae2a5d8b898b32095f.png

image.thumb.png.ab3705ed7337ca794906d09fd9303959.png

Op asks about Yamoto, You post stats/pics on Republique?

XA727Uf.gif

• Cool 5
  • Funny 4

[BS4]
Players
1,348 posts
7,467 battles
8 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Range mod on Republique...... why? 

I think mate....useless sniping BB from J1 rings a bell....

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,642 posts
24,357 battles

...there's only one answer and i'm sure it's somewhere within "the lines"....

eye-liner-101-eyeliner-effects-for-the-a

:Smile_child:

• Boring 1

Players
1,717 posts
25 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Op asks about Yamoto, You post stats/pics on Republique?

XA727Uf.gif

I will try and put this in plain English.

Yamoto is old school

Fire and Fury is new school 

Best place for Yamoto is back in port or get good fire protection, you will be needing it :Smile_popcorn:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,973 battles
23 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

To bring FIRE and FURY on camping Yamato,s , along with any other " happy campers "  :Smile_teethhappy:

If you want to spam HE in a BB why not get a Conqueror, it's a much better platform for it.

On topic, 15 km is pretty good for a Yammy. You can disengage if need be with a stealth build provided your enemys don't push so hard, you can soak damage for the team and you can hit stuff fairly reliably and not giving your foes that much time to dodge.

• Cool 6

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,150 battles
21 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

I will try and put this in plain English.

Yamoto is old school

Fire and Fury is new school 

Best place for Yamoto is back in port or get good fire protection, you will be needing it :Smile_popcorn:

No wonders your stats are hidden. 

Could you explain what kind of influence a Republique will have at 30 km and what actually you will hit?

@Ace42X something between 15-18 km. Yamato is the most accurate BB (especially with legendary module). Yes you will hit some stationary or slow moving targets at 20+km but no one will feel comfortable in your 18km zone (except some fast loli botes).

It's also one of the best armored BBs(except for its Achilles heel) so spec it for full fire prevention and menage your consumables, you will survive almost everything.... And try to not stay alone as flanking DDs are one of your biggest enemies, the other one is you giving broadside to other BBs.

Just nose in, protect your weak spot and get them rekt. 

• Cool 6

[BS4]
Players
1,348 posts
7,467 battles
45 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

To bring FIRE and FURY on camping Yamato,s , along with any other " happy campers "  :Smile_teethhappy:

Gisw8Cd.gif

So useless sniping ( HE spamming ) BB from J1 it is then ......:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
1,717 posts
13 minutes ago, Episparh said:

No wonders your stats are hidden. 

Talking about some ones stats is against forum rules.

Stats :-

1/ Why would I give free information on MY Statistics to some one else, who I may be fighting giving them a possible tactical advantage ?

2/ I do not except the statistics as a true "state" of a Players ability, especially when " a few of us " strongly suspect there is a " possibility " that stats are " Micro Managed " to aid the sales of " Certain Ships "

and " Possibly " 3rd Party software.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 10
  • Boring 4

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,642 posts
24,357 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

[...]

:Smile_amazed:................:Smile_amazed::Smile_unsure::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_great::Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,973 battles
12 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

A " Significant Number " of Players disagree with you Old Boy 

Significant amount? I saw like a handful who disagreed with the nerf and the majority who agreed with it/had little issue in the thread you linked.

Did it loose the superheal? Did it loose its godtier stealth? Did it loose its ridicilous HE? No it just became less idiotproof and honestly that is just a good thing. Perhaps now I can grind for it with atleast some shame left.

Players
312 posts
16 minutes ago, Episparh said:

@Ace42X something between 15-18 km. Yamato is the most accurate BB (especially with legendary module). Yes you will hit some stationary or slow moving targets at 20+km but no one will feel comfortable in your 18km zone (except some fast loli botes).

That was where I was feeling comfortable at, but as I said, I found a lot of "uh, what?!?" ricochets occurring at ~16km vs cruisers like Leningrad, a situation which disappears once I get to around 12ish?

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,150 battles
5 minutes ago, CaptStevSmith said:

1/ Why would I give free information on MY Statistics to some one else, who I may be fighting giving them a possible tactical advantage ?

2/ I do not except the statistics as a true "state" of a Players ability, especially when " a few of us " strongly suspect there is a " possibility " that stats are " Micro Managed " to aid the sales of " Certain Ships "

I am not discussing your stats as there are none. Just mentioning that hiding them match your statement of 30km HE spamming Republique. 

1. Could you elaborate further of what actually advantage a stats can give. 

2. Stats are stats. It's their interpretation that matters and doing so without knowing the context is a gamble. 

P. S. You still didn't answer what exacy you will hit with a range moded Republique.

• Cool 1

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,150 battles
6 hours ago, Ace42X said:

That was where I was feeling comfortable at, but as I said, I found a lot of "uh, what?!?" ricochets occurring at ~16km vs cruisers like Leningrad, a situation which disappears once I get to around 12ish?

You meant Stalingrad probably as Lenin grad is DD out of t10 bracket. 

Glorious Russian CA and CB armor scheme includes a 50 mm lower bow plating which even Yamato cannot overmatch. So you either bounce or shatter. When facing a bow tanking Moskva or Stalingrad just aim for the upper half of the bow or the superstructure.  And I suggest you to search for autobauncing and overmatching mechanics and how shell penetration is affected by thickness and angle of the armor on impact. 

I can't search for such article but I am sure someone will give you such assistance if you need to. 

Edited : actually the article on the wiki is not bad: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

• Cool 3

[-TAP-]
Players
312 posts
8,197 battles

Just for info, does anyone know the view range of a Republique? I've tried googling it but didn't find an answer. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,642 posts
24,357 battles
1 hour ago, CaptStevSmith said:

btw, ur reactions absolutely go foot to foot with your posts. it's nice to see some consistency out there :Smile_great:... but for sure, obviously, there's somewhat "too much" sometimes in this game of such *sigh* :Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 2

[ST33L]
[ST33L]
Beta Tester
91 posts
7,648 battles

All this "Yamato is acurate BB therefore I must snipe" talk is idiotic, and is a complete misunderstanding of her role and capabilities in game.

Yamato is a wall! You put her in a place where the enemy BBs can not ignore you in order to move forward. If you get HE spammed then of course you need to fall back or rethink your strategy, but that goes for all ships in this game. 

The power of Yamato comes from bullying the enemy BBs to fall back with your 460 guns. Giving your DDs and cruisers room to move and do their roles. 

I usually start around 14-18 km from enemy BBs and steadily move forward. When enemy DDs have been located and ara not a direct threat to me its time to start pushing. 10-14 is a good dmg dealing distance. Also, allways have a plan to disengage in case of heavy HE spam.

As a last point I want to say that there is ONLY ONE ACCEPTABLE REASON IN A BB, TO EVER BE FURTHER AWAY FROM AN ENEMY SHIP THAN 22KM. AND THAT IS WHEN YOU SPAWN!! :fish_viking:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,662 posts
6,400 battles
6 hours ago, CaptStevSmith said:

:fish_palm:

• Boring 1

Players
317 posts
7,687 battles
6 hours ago, CaptStevSmith said:

1/ The only thing stats are going to tell someone is whether you are good, bad or average in a ship, why do you think that's going to give someone an advantage?  

2/  :Smile_facepalm: