Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Myrmidon19

Anti-Submarine Mechanics

3 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

Only been playing a few months and wasn't around for the halloween event that I hear so much about but I've been thinking about the submarine introduction a lot lately and how it's surely going to shake up the entire fleet dynamic considerably. Also been pondering aside from other submarines how could surface ships deal with submarines? I've had a few thoughts mostly the obvious supplemented with reading but I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff so the feasibility is something I want to ascertain as well as hear if there's any other ideas because I know there are probably people on here that have likely studied this stuff and know a lot about it because they find it interesting. 

Passive Counter-Measures

Sonar, Radar & Hydroacoustics - I guess this could work with submarine detection? It would have to be tweaked to take into account not just range but also the depth so I don't really understand it enough to know how effective this would be really. I know it's generally said radar doesn't work underwater at all but is that not at all or is it more "significantly diminished" kinda thing? Would it work at very close range? Surely it would also have an easier time in circumstances where the submarine was moving around on the surface etc. Sonar itself isn't something we have yet as a mechanic but guess surface ships were able to use it to some extent? Again it's another noob area that I'm unfamiliar with, I really don't know how easily surface ships were able to detect submarines in this period.

Generic Spotting - They're obviously going to surface sometimes and other times be fairly near to the surface. In both cases they could feasibly be spotted generically at some specific range and perhaps that range could increase temporarily if they've recently discharged something in a similar manner to surface ships etc.

Torpedo / Submarine Nets - My friend and I were talking about these the other night and whilst I'm not really very clear on how they were used, how often and to what effect I think personally it would be quite awkward to implement something like that mechanically. I can't see these as possibilities myself.

Active Counter-Measures

Depth Charges - These seem like one of the most obvious first ideas and I mean they were used extensively in reality too so it almost seems like a given to me. I believe they were actually even in that halloween event weren't they? I'm not sure, there's not an awful lot of footage, but I remember a youtuber saying some had been dropped. Could these be present on all surface ships? I'm asking but assuming so. From what I've seen online there seems to be lots of different ways to deploy them. Been looking at these cool 'hedgehog' launchers online where they basically volley fire two dozens or so off from a big multi-shot launcher to saturate an area. Something like that I can see working quite easily in game mechanically. They also don't seem to be particularly large or complicated so would assume most ships could mount them. I guess though it comes down to whether certain ships did mount them or not... They may not have and I would prefer the game stayed historically accurate.

WAMBR_Hedgehog_North_Bay_pic.jpg

Mines - I've actually wondered before why mines aren't actually a thing in game already. I guess it's mostly because there were often dedicated mine-laying ships and it wasn't just some added perk available to all warships. They could be good for setting traps but honestly I'm not really sure how these were used historically.

Artillery - It stands to reason if a submarine has popped up and is physically above water and detected you should be able to shoot at it with your guns. I kinda hope this would be allowed and that there's perhaps some lee-way to still land hits on a submarine that has literally just submerged. Yes shells will lose energy in water but if the submarine has only gone down a few feet it's surely going to still retain enough energy to damage the submarine in some way.

Surface-Ship Torpedoes - Submarines can obviously pivot and angle themselves underwater so can launch torpedoes at surface ships without rising to the depth of the ships submerged hull. But... There probably will be occasions for what ever reason when submarines do come up fairly close to the surface to launch torpedoes and on such occasions it should be quite feasible that they can receive torpedoes in return.

If you know tons about this stuff then hop in. I actually wanna be educated... Just don't be a [edited] because I've already said I'm no expert just wondering how it's all going to work.

Players
10,087 posts
11,852 battles

Hydro in game is almost guaranteed to provide detection against subs. Same with surface spotting, though due to subs rather small profile I wouldn't expect larger detection than DD.

If you take a look around, almost every DD and number of cruisers have depth charges of one flavor or another modeled... for years. Knowing WG and their catering to baBBies I almost expect BBs to have them too because why not:Smile_smile: Carriers were mentioned to get ASW toys as well, though that was at stage where CV REEEwork merely started to rear its ugly head.

Halloween subs had very little hp in general, so any HE shells sent its way are bound to hurt.

Mines - no. They were brought number of times and always denied in Q&A.

My primary issue with submarines - DDs in game already fulfill their niche without their slow speed and limited number of launchers. Subs had 6 forward launchers at best and were considered fast, if they could break 20kts submerged. Compare that to average DD, which also happen to have guns to pew pew at

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
16 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Hydro in game is almost guaranteed to provide detection against subs. Same with surface spotting, though due to subs rather small profile I wouldn't expect larger detection than DD.

If you take a look around, almost every DD and number of cruisers have depth charges of one flavor or another modeled... for years. Knowing WG and their catering to baBBies I almost expect BBs to have them too because why not:Smile_smile: Carriers were mentioned to get ASW toys as well, though that was at stage where CV REEEwork merely started to rear its ugly head.

Halloween subs had very little hp in general, so any HE shells sent its way are bound to hurt.

Mines - no. They were brought number of times and always denied in Q&A.

My primary issue with submarines - DDs in game already fulfill their niche without their slow speed and limited number of launchers. Subs had 6 forward launchers at best and were considered fast, if they could break 20kts submerged. Compare that to average DD, which also happen to have guns to pew pew at

Lol I'm an idiot didn't realize I'd written hydro and sonar, habit I guess, used to saying hydro and radar etc.

Yeah I thought I could see some on some ships. Perhaps all ships would get them for the sake of balance but I really don't know if all warships carried depth charges back in the day... Suppose historical realism and ingame balance is an awkward equilibrium though for developers.

Tiering subs and giving each nations subs specific gimmicks must be quite a headache for them I suppose too.

Sign in to follow this