You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ho_teL

What Premium Ship do you recommend?

112 comments in this topic

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles

Hai,

Purchase exclusive items are like my magnet when it comes to games. In this game it's no exception. But I don't know what I should get as there are so many Premium ships. I already have a few but I'd like more help with my choice of ships to purchase. 

I Already got Atago, which I don't regret getting as she is a lovely cruiser.
I had Dunkerque (which I sold to get Bismarck, only to realise I still didnt have enough..), playing her was fun but frustrating. BBut I'll get her back in the future.
Azuma and Graf Zeppelin don't seem very appreciated from what I read on forums and saw in videos. But I like using them so they'll stay in my collection.
Yubaru I got because it seemed like a fun ship and its cheap. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would so I sold it.

Now I'm kind of leaning towards Alaska, Vangaurd, Prinz Eugen and Kaga. But I don't know who I should get. And if I should get a ship that requires a different playstyle, to enhance my skills. Cause I've only really stuck to the Japanese Cruisers and the German Battleships

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,116 battles

I would recommend any of Vanguard, PE or Alaska, all great ships. It really depends what you want them to do though.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
8,804 posts
44,838 battles

Well you have the Atago and Azuma but... You do well on them at all. Idk why you got into high tier premiums so fast. Azuma is a really hard to play ship. 

Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,951 battles

If you want a CV, then Enterprise is the one to get (currently) - easily the best of the premium CV's (or so those who's opinion are worth the words say). PE, Vang and Alaska are good choices, but....

I would strongly suggest that you get more of a hang on what you enjoy playing before buying more high tier ships - your ratio of premium to silver ships is extremely high at present.

• Cool 2

Players
260 posts
20,882 battles

For new beginner account Scharnhorst is best bang for your buck .

Rapid firing for a BB.

Has torps to learn to use them.

Good secondaries.

Tier 7. So nice mm in average.

Reasonable price.

German.

• Cool 15
  • Funny 1

Players
204 posts
8,323 battles

I think you can submit a ticket to gwt the Dunk back if you have the credits available if it's the firsr premium you sold i believe.

As for those ships I would say Alaska if you have the budget mainly due to poor tier 8 MM for the others.

Vanguard is tricky if you don't angle enough as you get citadeled often.

• Cool 3

[BIF]
Players
526 posts
6,619 battles
10 minutes ago, Sink_Different said:

Rapid firing for a BB.

Good secondaries.

Reasonable price.

German.

All of the above, + can be used in T7 Operation Narai.

• Cool 6

Players
1,075 posts
15,102 battles

Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Massachusetts, are all reliable choices. Whatever your motivations (historical collector, national trainer, gudbote) I would always recommend taking a moment to read some reviews. Like here:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/117549-mouses-new-summary-of-premium-ships/

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
757 posts
9,617 battles

Prinz Eugen is a waste of money. Run away. Run far away. T8 MM sucks. Firepower is hobbled by only 8x guns - okay AP but poor HE. Mobility lacklustre. Armour non-existent aside from the nose which comes in useful about 1 in 100 games. Only got mine from a SC. 

Vanguard - can't really say much about it. T8 MM should say enough... Don't get a T8 Premium in the current game state.

Alaska is worth every bit of FXP but I wouldn't spend so much real money (not THAT much) for a pixel-ship. Think of it as a small BB pretending to be a cruiser - excellent anti-cruiser guns which can still hurt enemy BBs, great AA, radar, decent mobility and all round capable of doing most jobs it needs to. MM can sometimes put you vs T7s - which is erm…. interesting in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of way. 

If you had fun in the Dunkerque - consider saving coal for the Jean Bart. It scales it all up - main guns, speed, armour, secondaries, AA, everything - to 11. Plus you have added comedy value of speed boost and gun reload booster - both of which are hilarious when used correctly. Or incorrectly for that matter. 

Avoid CVs until the REEEEWork is finished. Maybe 2025. 

I'd basically avoid spending money and save up for the FXP/Coal offerings. 

• Cool 3

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

Well you have the Atago and Azuma but... You do well on them at all. Idk why you got into high tier premiums so fast. Azuma is a really hard to play ship. 

I spend like 60 ish hours on my steam NA bound account have played till tier 7 on there. But because the store didn't function properly there during the Azur Lane event I made this account. And I got my first high tier premium ship to assign the fitting AL captain to. And while I do play random matches. I usually stick to Co-op matches to get used to a play style and then try it in Random matches. If it doesn't work. Or doesn't seem beneficial to the team. Back to Co-op and try and something else.

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I would recommend any of Vanguard, PE or Alaska, all great ships. It really depends what you want them to do though.

Be beneficial to the team, I know Alaska has Surveillance Radar and that is handy to get enemy's on the map. Which is like the main reason why I want it.

Hydro acoustics isn't bad but you need to be in the enemy's dds face to even spot them with it. And having a reason to stay at range is better than the close quarters tactic I almost apply to anything I play.

• Cool 1

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, philjd said:

If you want a CV, then Enterprise is the one to get (currently) - easily the best of the premium CV's (or so those who's opinion are worth the words say). PE, Vang and Alaska are good choices, but....

I would strongly suggest that you get more of a hang on what you enjoy playing before buying more high tier ships - your ratio of premium to silver ships is extremely high at present.

I'll keep that in mind thanks. Now I just buy premiums to see what I like. But that might end up as a big mistake.

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, ReapingKnight said:

I think you can submit a ticket to gwt the Dunk back if you have the credits available if it's the firsr premium you sold i believe.

As for those ships I would say Alaska if you have the budget mainly due to poor tier 8 MM for the others.

Vanguard is tricky if you don't angle enough as you get citadeled often.

Yeaa, I've seen the match making of tier 8, being thrown in matches with tier 10. It's not the best. And I wonder why it is like that.

As for Dunkerque it's not the first I sold. So I won't be able to get a her back. 

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, Sink_Different said:

Rapid firing for a BB.

Good secondaries.

Reasonable price.

German.

Scharnhorst definitely is on the to get list.

[THESO]
Players
8,804 posts
44,838 battles
32 minutes ago, Admiral_Charlotte said:

I spend like 60 ish hours on my steam NA bound account have played till tier 7 on there. But because the store didn't function properly there during the Azur Lane event I made this account. And I got my first high tier premium ship to assign the fitting AL captain to. And while I do play random matches. I usually stick to Co-op matches to get used to a play style and then try it in Random matches. If it doesn't work. Or doesn't seem beneficial to the team. Back to Co-op and try and something else.

I don't wanna make you feel bad but this is what I see on wows numbers. 

• Cool 1

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 hour ago, Gvozdika said:

Prinz Eugen is a waste of money. Run away. Run far away. T8 MM sucks. Firepower is hobbled by only 8x guns - okay AP but poor HE. Mobility lacklustre. Armour non-existent aside from the nose which comes in useful about 1 in 100 games. Only got mine from a SC. 

Vanguard - can't really say much about it. T8 MM should say enough... Don't get a T8 Premium in the current game state.

Alaska is worth every bit of FXP but I wouldn't spend so much real money (not THAT much) for a pixel-ship. Think of it as a small BB pretending to be a cruiser - excellent anti-cruiser guns which can still hurt enemy BBs, great AA, radar, decent mobility and all round capable of doing most jobs it needs to. MM can sometimes put you vs T7s - which is erm…. interesting in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of way. 

If you had fun in the Dunkerque - consider saving coal for the Jean Bart. It scales it all up - main guns, speed, armour, secondaries, AA, everything - to 11. Plus you have added comedy value of speed boost and gun reload booster - both of which are hilarious when used correctly. Or incorrectly for that matter. 

Avoid CVs until the REEEEWork is finished. Maybe 2025. 

I'd basically avoid spending money and save up for the FXP/Coal offerings. 

Yea Jean Bart, I saw it both on the store and in the armory. But I've never looked up if it was worth it. Mainly due the fact that you can't really cover what is behind you by yourself and have to rely on your secondaries to deal with it or turn. 

[D4MES]
Players
292 posts
15,881 battles
1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

I don't wanna make you feel bad but this is what I see on wows numbers. 

No worries I still have lots to learn. 

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
8,804 posts
44,838 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Charlotte said:

No worries I still have lots to learn. 

Yeah. Having not much battles you can improve. See some YT videos how to play those ships.

• Cool 3

Players
6,338 posts
12,825 battles
On 8/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Gvozdika said:

I really liked your description of Alaska! :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_great:

To my friends, I describe her being kinda a mix of NC and Baltimore :fish_book:

@Admiral_Charlotte

I'd suggest Alaska, Jean Bart or Scharnhorst. I don't have Georgia, but I heard good things about her.

I don't know Vanguard, but from what I know it's not at all a very appealing ship to me. I don't know about (premium) carriers.

Also don't bother with the DoY (Duke of Yorck, british battleship with the really cool camo). I used to love her, but I had to kill her from my list of preferential ships Smile_sad.gif

Players
10,681 posts
12,172 battles
On 8/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, Admiral_Charlotte said:

Hai,

Purchase exclusive items are like my magnet when it comes to games. In this game it's no exception. But I don't know what I should get as there are so many Premium ships. I already have a few but I'd like more help with my choice of ships to purchase. 

I Already got Atago, which I don't regret getting as she is a lovely cruiser.
I had Dunkerque (which I sold to get Bismarck, only to realise I still didnt have enough..), playing her was fun but frustrating. BBut I'll get her back in the future.
Azuma and Graf Zeppelin don't seem very appreciated from what I read on forums and saw in videos. But I like using them so they'll stay in my collection.
Yubaru I got because it seemed like a fun ship and its cheap. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would so I sold it.

Now I'm kind of leaning towards Alaska, Vangaurd, Prinz Eugen and Kaga. But I don't know who I should get. And if I should get a ship that requires a different playstyle, to enhance my skills. Cause I've only really stuck to the Japanese Cruisers and the German Battleships

I'd advise AGAINST tier 8 ships due to matchmaking being what it is, you should already have sample of it with Atago. Tier 6 and 7 can be freely used in Operations for comfy PvE games.

Azuma is THE worst pick from hightier premiums simply due to her combination of big, not exactly nimble and armor made of porcelain. If you want tier 9, then Jean Bart, Georgia and Alaska are fine picks, depending on what ship you fancy.

Selling premium ships is never good idea, but if you have credits back on your account, contact WG support to restore "accidentally sold" premiums.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,547 posts
16,172 battles
On 8/5/2019 at 11:35 AM, Admiral_Charlotte said:

I'd like more help with my choice of ships to purchase.

Right, first of all: unless you have more RL money than the gods, *never* sell a premium, even if it's more pants than the entire underwear department of M&S. You'll earn the same silver just by playing the thing fairly quickly, and if/when the ship in question comes up in a mission, you'll either get a metric butt-load of silver, or doubloons. So, just don't do it.

Having got that out of the way, rather than a specific 'buy x', I would suggest thinking along the following (sometimes contradictory) lines:

• One of the more useful things you can do with a premium (besides earning more silver) is captain training, so it's helpful if you have premiums that work well their silver counterparts' captains e.g. Sims works well with pretty much any US DD captain from T7 at least; Scharn is good with a Gneis/Bismarck captain, and so on. If you do this, it allows you to cycle captains through multiple daily win bonuses, maximising the return on your daily playing time.
  • If it's useful to be able to farm credits etc. premiums that work well in Ops are good to have (typically, you want at least three ships that are good for each Op - premium or silver - to avoid paying 75K silver for a quick restart). Most T6 BBs do well in the T6 Ops, and Scharn is great for Narai (the T7 one); it's possible that some of the other Ops that are currently on hiatus will return, in which case different options will be optimal.
  • Pick things where you're confident that you'll enjoy playing them a lot; the major advantages of premium ships tend to be maximised if you play them repeatedly (you also get the best return on what is quite an expensive purchase if you're buying real money ones) and you want to avoid that being a chore.
  • Do you care about competitive modes (Clans/Ranked)? Much of the time, these are held at tiers where there are premiums e.g. the current Clans season is positive bulging with premium ships (DDs especially); a premium that you can do well with in competitive can be useful, especially since you can sometimes put your best available captain in it without retraining.
  • Pick things where you can reliably do a lot of damage; most in-game rewards are largely predicated on doing plenty of damage, so you want things that play to that. Good picks will vary from player to player, depending on which things a given player gels with.
  • Beware of premiums that require a specific atypical captain build to do well with; that's not to say you should entirely avoid them (MA is glorious for example, but does require a manly captain, which the rest of the US BBs don't), but be aware that they won't be much use as a captain trainer until you get their captain to 19 points.
  • Save money! In general, WG are what is known technically as robbing swine i.e. premium ships are generally over-priced. What this means is that it's a good idea to buy premiums on sale, if you can, or (ideally) get ones for in-game resources i.e. coal, free xp, and steel. Also, it's worth checking any premium (new ones especially) against existing ones for price - some have a few quid stuck on top of what they 'should' cost e.g. I vaguely recall the recent Poi DD was about five UKP over the odds.
  • Think about CVs: whilst CVs are currently a bit on the rare side after several nerfs, it's possible that WG will take actions that bring them back; when the CV population exploded, it made stealth-based ships (DDs, expecially) largely unplayable - including the premiums. For example, Cossack and Asashio became largely worthless until the CV population plummeted recently. Note that trying to predict where the CV-AA balance will end up is essentially futile, but be mindful that anything based on stealth could easily get rogered in the future (again). The whole CV thing is mitigated if the ship in question can work in a CV-free mode that you enjoy (Cossack has been splendid in Clans this season for example).

That's not exhaustive, but it gives a few things to meditate upon before waving your cash at WG...

• Cool 5

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,469 posts
20,943 battles

I'd say: Play more before you decide where to put your money. If you really feel the need to pick up premium-ships then no higher than T7 and that's a stretch to be honest.

Your best ships are Myoko and Geneisenau and you allready have the Atago and the Scharnhorst is pretty good. Tirpitz are sort of newbie-friendly but a bit high tier. 

I'd recomend the Ishizuchi. She's low tier (=cheap) and plays alot like a cruiser. I kinda like the Mutsu since she's pretty fast for a mid-tier BB. Ashitaka is fast and hard-hitting but fragile.

No, keep on playing and if you have to buy premiums then buy low-mid-tier untill you have a better grasp of what you like/are good in.

• Cool 1