You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Padds01

Edingburgh

35 comments in this topic

[-LA-]
Players
685 posts
5,118 battles

So after abandoning CV's at tier 8 for now, i decided to instead turn my attention to RN cruisers . just got the Edingburgh last night and dont get me wrong even if its just a mildly worse fiji its still a good enough ship. 

Im just not seeing why its t8 and fiji was t7 , i mean it seems to have  worse concealment , worse smoke generator and the possibility of having torps that go 2km, all for the priviledge of getting the t10 MM bus running me over. 

am i missing something?

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
1 hour ago, Padds01 said:

So after abandoning CV's at tier 8 for now, i decided to instead turn my attention to RN cruisers . just got the Edingburgh last night and dont get me wrong even if its just a mildly worse fiji its still a good enough ship. 

Im just not seeing why its t8 and fiji was t7 , i mean it seems to have  worse concealment , worse smoke generator and the possibility of having torps that go 2km, all for the priviledge of getting the t10 MM bus running me over. 

am i missing something?

You're missing Concealment upgrade. Otherwise its pretty much Fiji with privilege of getting roadkilled by "T10 MM bus", at least gets (in)famous British lol heal

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[GW_KR]
Players
261 posts
12,952 battles

The Edin has better armor as well. It can take a surprising amount of punishment when angled against other cruisers. 

But yes, overall, it’s a harder ship to play due to the matchmaking at t8. 

It can also equip radar with the upgraded hull. A nasty surprise for dds who assume you have smoke!😀

Smoke IS the better choice imho but sometimes its just fun to surprise!!

• Cool 3

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
5 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

The Edin has better armor as well. It can take a surprising amount of punishment when angled against other cruisers. 

But yes, overall, it’s a harder ship to play due to the matchmaking at t8. 

It can also equip radar with the upgraded hull. A nasty surprise for dds who assume you have smoke!😀

Except armor is identical, unless you count not-being-overmatched by 203mm guns. But then, Large Cruisers and Henri IV says hi:cap_tea:

Radar can be useful, especially as it have more range than ship detection, but it can also mean "you implode" whenever you get spotted, as mostly its the red team that is better at focusing targets than green one:cap_cool:

• Cool 2

[GW_KR]
Players
261 posts
12,952 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Except armor is identical, unless you count not-being-overmatched by 203mm guns. But then, Large Cruisers and Henri IV says hi:cap_tea:

Radar can be useful, especially as it have more range than ship detection, but it can also mean "you implode" whenever you get spotted, especially as its always red team that is better at focusing targets:cap_cool:

Well I havent done an exact comparison in-game, but according to wiki the Edins armor has an upgrade over Fiji. It feels tougher to me as well even with the mm, but no of course it sucks against Henri IV and alike!

And yes, radar is extremely situational and can only be used on rare occations as you will be - like you point out - obliterated when detected. 

• Cool 2

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
3 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

Well I havent done an exact comparison in-game, but according to wiki the Edins armor has an upgrade over Fiji. It feels tougher to me as well even with the mm, but no of course it sucks against Henri IV and alike!

And yes, radar is extremely situational and can only be used on rare occations as you will be - like you point out - obliterated when detected. 

Armor is identical except bow stern being 13mm on Fiji and 16mm on Odinburger.

114mm main belt, 19mm amidship and deck, with center part being 51mm thick.

So only armor upgrade is not getting overmatched by heavy cruisers. In return Odin is bigger and clumsier, base camo is worse BUT can more than offset that with Concealment upgrade. Gunnery is identical, AA is slightly less useless than on Fiji.

[-LA-]
Players
685 posts
5,118 battles

thanks for all the replies.

so basically it is a bit of a dog ;) not a bad ship per se just coming from fiji its no great step up!

I understand overmatch mechanic but i dont have the encyclopedic knowledge of what has what to make any practical use of it, but the tldr seems to be edin can if all else fails go bow in on dd's and other light cru and last better than fiji but anything with big guns its not going to make any diff. and its still not tanky so not being shot at in the first place remains plan A.

i can check this when i log in but it sounds like the heal is actually bigger than fiji's those magnetic citadels tended to make the ability to heal moot as i seemed to be alive or dead and nothing inbetween ;)

The conceal mod.. isnt that a bit of a wash i mean everyone gets it so we all just loose a few mill credits and reletive to each other nothing changes?

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
18 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

thanks for all the replies.

so basically it is a bit of a dog ;) not a bad ship per se just coming from fiji its no great step up!

Tier 8 on average are pretty well balanced, only Brit T8 CV and BB are... lacking. Edinburgh is okay, but completely overshadowed by Fiji tier lower.

I understand overmatch mechanic but i dont have the encyclopedic knowledge of what has what to make any practical use of it, but the tldr seems to be edin can if all else fails go bow in on dd's and other light cru and last better than fiji but anything with big guns its not going to make any diff. and its still not tanky so not being shot at in the first place remains plan A.

Both Fiji and Edinburgh can angle against DD and CL guns. Fiji will fail to ricochet 203mm guns from the bow, while Edinburgh "needs" 240mm or bigger to do the same. 19mm amidship on both can shrug off guns up to 271mm (19*14.3), any bigger will stick.

i can check this when i log in but it sounds like the heal is actually bigger than fiji's those magnetic citadels tended to make the ability to heal moot as i seemed to be alive or dead and nothing inbetween ;)

Hightier Brit cruisers and BBs can recover up to 40%hp from single heal, 48% if you add India Delta signal. They also have improved health recovery from citadel hits compared to other cruisers. Still, its rare to make use of all heals due to how notorious citadels are on cruisers, British or otherwise.

The conceal mod.. isnt that a bit of a wash i mean everyone gets it so we all just loose a few mill credits and reletive to each other nothing changes?

Well, when everyone gets Concealment upgrade, if you don't have one, you're at disadvantage don't you think? Especially when it comes to detection and its binary "spotted-not spotted" mechanics.

WG version of "freedom of choice" when it comes to captain skills and upgrades. Players are free to take obligatory ones :Smile_smile:

Though Brit CLs in terms of captain skills end at 10 points, after securing CE. So they actually have spare 9 to take whatever they want... Which usually means AA skills, as secondaries are useless, buffing torps is questionable, same with reducing DoT damage.

• Cool 2

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles
13 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

It is the other way around. The one without the concealment module is often doomed to a watery grave apart from a tiny selevtion of ships that can go for the rudder module.

Concealment is key.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles
58 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

It is British so slightly better than the American Cruisers, that said I am notoriously bad in cruisers, so annoying as I want to get better in them but just do not.

Not sure I agree. US cruisers tend to be the natural counter to British cruisers with improved pen angles, overmatch capabilites and nice gun angles so you negate the British AP at tier 6-7, and from tier 8 the US gets pretty good concealment and radar so they can level the playingfield that smoke provides.

The British CL's are good don't get me wrong, but at a similar skill level my money is often on the US captain if they end up in a duel scenario.

• Cool 2

Players
3,429 posts
14,187 battles

Edin is ship that requires a very high skill level. It’s a monster when in the right hands. Just keep practicing in her chap. Worth every bit of grind.

• Cool 1

Players
2,930 posts
3 hours ago, OldPappy said:

It can also equip radar with the upgraded hull. A nasty surprise for dds who assume you have smoke! 😀

Dis is true

[GW_KR]
Players
261 posts
12,952 battles
3 hours ago, Panocek said:

Armor is identical except bow stern being 13mm on Fiji and 16mm on Odinburger.

114mm main belt, 19mm amidship and deck, with center part being 51mm thick.

So only armor upgrade is not getting overmatched by heavy cruisers. In return Odin is bigger and clumsier, base camo is worse BUT can more than offset that with Concealment upgrade. Gunnery is identical, AA is slightly less useless than on Fiji.

Yeah I saw this too now. Still the Fiji feels more fragile. It looks actually a bit bigger and higher in the water. But all the stats are near identical I agree. Funny thing is that I feel safer in the Eding than the Fiji. This might explain why I do much better in the Fiji apart from the mm factor. 

Players
312 posts
4 hours ago, OldPappy said:

This seems to be the orthodoxy, but the meta I get from Randoms is that absolutely no-one ever under any circumstances wants to actually man up and evict a DD from where they're camping (either via concealment or smoke).

I get the impression that my Montpellier (and my Cleveland, but I only just got her so it's early days) are playing so much more comfortably than the other cruisers I have solely because I can confidently fight DDs proactively with them thanks to radar.

I've even reworked my builds to drop CE (and might end up restoring it) because I'm getting so cocky in the two of them.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,409 battles
5 hours ago, Panocek said:

WG version of "freedom of choice" when it comes to captain skills and upgrades. Players are free to take obligatory ones :Smile_smile:

I would phrase it as "Players are free to take non-obligatory skills and upgrades, at their own risk"

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles

Well, while we are at the subject "Edinburgh", can it citadel a Henry or not? 

It might be troll dispersion but I think it's impossible, somehow. 

I had one at < 5km broadside (surprised him behind his island) but nope. No cits. 

A few pens, lots of bounces. 

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
12 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Well, while we are at the subject "Edinburgh", can it citadel a Henry or not? 

It might be troll dispersion but I think it's impossible, somehow. 

I had one at < 5km broadside (surprised him behind his island) but nope. No cits. 

A few pens, lots of bounces. 

Armored belt

Spoiler

shot-19-08-05-16-35-48-0782.jpg

Citadel bulkhead

Spoiler

shot-19-08-05-16-35-52-0900.jpg

Odinburger pen (wowsft)

Spoiler

Przechwytywanie.png

Throw in short fuse time, so shells might detonate before reaching citadel hitbox and I wouldn't count on it:Smile_smile:

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Armored belt

Reveal hidden contents

shot-19-08-05-16-35-48-0782.jpg

Citadel bulkhead

Reveal hidden contents

shot-19-08-05-16-35-52-0900.jpg

Odinburger pen (wowsft)

Reveal hidden contents

Przechwytywanie.png

Throw in short fuse time, so shells might detonate before reaching citadel hitbox and I wouldn't count on it:Smile_smile:

Short fuse might explain things. I thought it was just trolling me with RNG. 

Players
10,099 posts
11,861 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

Short fuse might explain things. I thought it was just trolling me with RNG. 

I've forgot about torpedo belt, which adds 25mm. And based on wowsft, Odinburger needs to be closer than 4.5km to punch through all that effective armor at perfect broadside.

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

I've forgot about torpedo belt, which adds 25mm. And based on wowsft, Odinburger needs to be closer than 4.5km to punch through all that effective armor at perfect broadside.

Was. He was bow-in crashed against the island, and I popped up, surprising him broadside.

[MORIA]
Players
7,471 posts
37,146 battles
37 minutes ago, Panocek said:

In that time Henry will devastate the crap of Edin. 

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

In that time Henry will devastate the crap of Edin. 

I killed him... did take more trouble than I thought it would. 

No citadels. Kept angled zo he didn't get one either. Unfortunately he had friends.

But I surprised him broadside, with his guns pointing the wrong way... no cits, very very short distance.

[MORIA]
Players
7,471 posts
37,146 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

I killed him... did take more trouble than I thought it would. 

No citadels. Kept angled zo he didn't get one either. Unfortunately he had friends.

But I surprised him broadside, with his guns pointing the wrong way... no cits, very very short distance.

But Henry can overmatch the Edinburgh nose with no problem with his 240mm. As like the Mino.