BattleshipGunner

German BBs

28 comments in this topic

[CATS]
Players
27,260 posts
14,525 battles
44 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Are German battleships a good tech tree to go up?

Yes, they are fun to play.

No, they might teach you negligence in your BB driving, as they allow you to do stuff that gets you killed in other BB.

The best line for learning how to drive BB are the Japanese BB.

• Cool 4

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

The best line for learning how to drive BB are the Japanese BB.

IJN BBs look nice with their speed but apparently their armour is not as good as their foreign counterparts.

Yamato does look like a great battleship, but apparently it's AA is not great. But I don't know since the highest tier I've got is tier 5.

[CATS]
Players
27,260 posts
14,525 battles
12 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

IJN BBs look nice with their speed but apparently their armour is not as good as their foreign counterparts.

That is why you learn best in them how to drive BB.

If you cannot angle or position yourself properly, even the stronger armor of other nations will not help you.

If you can perform well in IJN BB, you will perform well with the other nations.

• Cool 2

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
7 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

fun if you can use their armour, but the guns will troll you.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I just saw a load of forum threads about Grosser kurfurst and its gun accuracy.

Players
579 posts
5,199 battles
23 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I just saw a load of forum threads about Grosser kurfurst and its gun accuracy.

i dont play above t7, due to t10 mm and game balance being utterly broken. so cant say i care about the gb.

t6/7 is most fun.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,570 posts
21,008 battles
1 hour ago, BattleshipGunner said:

btw, is Yamato a good tier X BB?

Hell yes.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
5,799 posts
14,068 battles
3 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

btw, is Yamato a good tier X BB?

At time of writing, you are showing only 69 (dude) battles; that's a very small amount in relation to how many it tends to take to fully get the hang of the game.

So what? So, at this stage, I would suggest not getting too hung up on individual lines, and definitely not on individual T10s - the 'point' of the game is not to get to T10 as quickly as possible, but rather to enjoy playing as much as possible.

I would strongly suggest playing as many different lines and classes as you can up to T4; this'll give you a good sense of the basics of each ship class and what they're trying to do to you, their vulnerabilities, and so on. Up to T4 also has the advantage of only seeing +1 tier MM, so you can refine your technique against more reasonable opposition. Once you've got the hang of the basics, then push on to T5 and beyond.

If this sounds ghastly and boring, it isn't as bad as it might sound; there are actually a lot of highly entertaining ships at lower tiers, not to mention some interesting historical ones too. Lower tier games can often be hilariously frenetic affairs as well (things can get a lot more campy at high tiers). Even old lags will sometimes drop back to the low tiers, for the entertainment (the only real downside is that a lot of missions require T5 and above).

The other reason to advance up the tiers at a more stately pace is that it allows you to gain more experienced captains; once you get into the more serious tiers, many of your opponents will have good captains (at least ten points, if not more) and you will be at a significant disadvantage if you don't at least have approximate parity in this regard.

I don't write this to discourage you from playing IJN BBs (although I'm not a BB main, I do like the IJN ships - hurrah for pagodas!), but rather to encourage you to take a more relaxed approach to your initial development, as it'll make you a better player in the long run - develop the skill-set and you'll be a fearsome opponent when you eventually get Yamato; don't take the time, and mediocre players like me will have a lovely time farming you for xp etc.

• Cool 8

Players
10,087 posts
11,852 battles
10 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Dispersion is bane for all battleships, the ones suffering the least from it are IJN and Russians though. Germans have the least consistent guns across the board

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles
12 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yamato does look like a great battleship, but apparently it's AA is not great. But I don't know since the highest tier I've got is tier 5.

T5 and 8 are in fact battlecruisers. Other tiers have mediocre speed (24-27knt). Yes their AA is underwhelming (except the premium T8 BB Kii) and their armor isn't the greatest. T9 and 10 have 57mm deck that helps. Though they eat citadels from AP bombs, the Yama AA isn't good but if it's intact there's a lot of it and can do ok against T8 CV especially after the AA changes on 0.8.7. 

The T10 has biggest gun caliber in the game, 460mm that can pen 32mm bow. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,799 posts
14,068 battles
3 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

i've got the german BBs to tier 4

Whilst not changing my earlier suggestions, it's worth continuing to T7 with the KM BBs (I understand the IJN will be your main focus), and keeping both the T6 and the T7, as they're very worthwhile for Ops.

Even once you've knocked off the main rewards (several of them award you decent captains), it's often worth repeating the more fun of the various Ops - they're a good way of farming credits and xp.

• Cool 2

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Whilst not changing my earlier suggestions, it's worth continuing to T7 with the KM BBs (I understand the IJN will be your main focus), and keeping both the T6 and the T7, as they're very worthwhile for Ops.

Even once you've knocked off the main rewards (several of them award you decent captains), it's often worth repeating the more fun of the various Ops - they're a good way of farming credits and xp.

yeah, I might continue KM BBs but first I need to focus more on Myogi and how to play it with only 6 guns.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,937 posts
5,356 battles
1 hour ago, BattleshipGunner said:

yeah, I might continue KM BBs but first I need to focus more on Myogi and how to play it with only 6 guns.

The Myogi will feel like a breath of fresh air after the Kawachi, thanks to being faster and having considerably longer gun range.

And it only gets better from there on in.

• Cool 1

Players
2,305 posts

I have every German BB from T4 to T10.. and to this day I still have great fun with them but as @ColonelPetehas said the IJN will teach you how to play a BB...

However, I suggest for now you just have fun, learn your BB gameplay and then when you have a few more battles under your belt choose your line... I started with the German but find IJN just as much fun...

Gawd, never thought I'd ever agree to anything @ColonelPete posted....:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_veryhappy: 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
483 posts
8,046 battles

If you ask me i`d not recommend it for a grind up to tier 10.

It`s a good line up to tier 6 (I consider Bayern as a god tier battleship), and then... Then it gets laughably bad. Gneisenau, and Friedrich der Grosse are such turds to grind through, that i stopped the grind several times on both of them. It`s not that Bismarck or Grosser Kurfurst are much better though.

Bismarck suffers from low firepower, and GKF has firing angles so bad that it`s superior armor profile actually becomes a disadvantage, because you have to go way beyond autobounce angle to fire all guns. It has thick armor all around the ship, but it just ends up arming all AP shells coming your way - making you take a lot more damage than you would in other ship.
Honestly i have lived through this hell, and got my GKF unlocked, but i use it only when there are missions for secondary battery hits. :cap_old:

I also enjoy farming damage on high tier german BB`s in my Montana. It`s actually really easy as long as you don`t let them in too close. :cap_like:

Assuming that it`s your first BB line grind i`d like to suggest you the US BB line.

It`s a bit repetitive, and slow (22 knots baby!) at low-mid tiers, but once you get to tier 8 it really starts to shine, with North Carolina being arguably the best battleship in tier 8, and Montana being on of the best at tier 10. It`ll  teach you the basics of battleship gameplay too, since those battleships are really good when used properly, and not so good when misused.

• Cool 2

Players
277 posts

Soviet bias game. Kremlin is a bow on tanking monster with fast rotating heavy turrets. Großer Kurfürst migh haw secondaries, but no one really want's to go full retard, and the  moments to make use of your secondaries are to limited becasue no BB to this day wants to push caps till the DD/CL battle is ower.

As for Yamato. Yes, the dmg is insane IF stars align and you manage to hit your target. But it's so big and slow that anyone can burn it down. At least you can try your luck with the "will it hit" bingo for half of the game sniping from the backside.

So the most player freindly BB is Kremlin. It got the stalin armour and close to mid range dispersion with few inches smaller gun shells of the Yamato, because WG will newer introduce bigger guns than the Yamato's! They just haw to stay true to their statements even with all the soviet bias :P

[CATS]
Players
27,260 posts
14,525 battles
On 8/5/2019 at 9:25 PM, Infiriel said:

Bismarck suffers from low firepower, and GKF has firing angles so bad that it`s superior armor profile actually becomes a disadvantage, because you have to go way beyond autobounce angle to fire all guns. 

Then do not do it, when in danger of getting shot at by a BB. That is what angling means.

11 hours ago, nimlock said:

So the most player freindly BB is Kremlin. 

That is why weak players come to the forum and complain how squishy the RU BB are?

If you cannot angle and position yourself, the RU BB become your coffin.

• Cool 1

Players
277 posts
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

That is why weak players come to the forum and complain how squishy the RU BB are?

If you cannot angle and position yourself, the RU BB become your coffin.

Thats any ship out there. BB's are meant to tank dmg instead of kiting. And it's the go to class to learn about ship angling. If you consider sniping and kiting the safest route for newbies, République might just fill the bill, but it's armour desn't allow for mistakes. There is no BB without a drawback and game mode meta dictates most efficient playstyles. As it stands, you can't relly on team mates in randoms to not to throw games, so you haw to be aggressive as an BB. As for ranked and clan battles, that's a completely different story.

[CATS]
Players
27,260 posts
14,525 battles
12 minutes ago, nimlock said:

Thats any ship out there. BB's are meant to tank dmg instead of kiting. And it's the go to class to learn about ship angling. If you consider sniping and kiting the safest route for newbies, République might just fill the bill, but it's armour desn't allow for mistakes. There is no BB without a drawback and game mode meta dictates most efficient playstyles. As it stands, you can't relly on team mates in randoms to not to throw games, so you haw to be aggressive as an BB. As for ranked and clan battles, that's a completely different story.

There other BB that are less squishy from the side than RU BB.

Players
277 posts
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

There other BB that are less squishy from the side than RU BB.

Good BB' players get burned to death, bad one's get citadeled from the broadside. Showing broadside is newer a good thing for BB's, even if they hug map corners at max distance from the engagement.

Sign in to follow this