You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Barney_Wobba

DD...any point for gunboats?

38 comments in this topic

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

Just had SEVEN games in a row as a dd and I was almost always the first to die. I'm not even trying to push or cap or spot.

Gunboat haru...6.9 det range, moment I open fire...focused by tons OR I am already torpedoed and the smoke and killed in smoke. I've played a lot, but this is a joke, I am almost 100% defensive but it does not matter...radar, CV, DD spotted...then you may as well log off. Really, it is that bad. I've tried almost everything other than just reversing all game despite the mockery of my team and crap talk of 'GO SPOT HARU' etc.

Players
910 posts
10,100 battles

Haru is a baby cruiser, but it too slow to gunboat like a Russian DD. You need smoke or an island. Pretend you are a DD until the enemy is thinned out of you have an island to hide behind. Also keep in mind the number of possible shooters in range on the other team. You will get focused because you are a menace. 

I've played both the Kita and Haru, and stick with Aki instead. T9/10 I use Pan Asian or US DDs instead. That said I have no real trouble with 100k games in any of the IJN gunboats, so it;s something you are doing wrong.

• Cool 2

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

Seriously, has anything changed I need to know about? I just did a Mino game, no problems, then a Haru game, dead first encounter...what the hell?

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles
27 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

Haru is a baby cruiser, but it too slow to gunboat like a Russian DD. You need smoke or an island. Pretend you are a DD until the enemy is thinned out of you have an island to hide behind. Also keep in mind the number of possible shooters in range on the other team. You will get focused because you are a menace. 

I've played both the Kita and Haru, and stick with Aki instead. T9/10 I use Pan Asian or US DDs instead. That said I have no real trouble with 100k games in any of the IJN gunboats, so it;s something you are doing wrong.

I know this. I sit there no one appears in LOS, game is boring. If I wanted boring I go BB. My Mino is much better. This Haru sucks [edited]now.

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

Oh wait, died first in mino....broadside from random place while team sailed away from caps haha, yay.

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

Where can i post replays, I am not joking, this is a ridiculous. I'm not even trying to push and I get fucused and killed ultra fast. Doesn't help I have braindead teams, but hey ho. Only good game I just had was in a mino and by chance a clan mate was there and I don't think he even saw me.

I used to love the haru, now...worst games ever in it.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,327 posts
16,153 battles

My guess is WoWS Replays is the place to upload to:  https://replayswows.com/

I've always understood that it's best to not be the first ship to be spotted as you then become the sole focus of the enemy team.

As a DD player I've been cautious about sitting in smoke for any period of time as smoke is a torp and gun magnet - which doesn't help gunboats.   I love killing fellow DDs that sit in a smallish smoke cloud (there is less guesswork to where to send torps to - also Radio Location helps there).

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
4 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

Has something changed lately?

Nope, exept that there are even more blobs of late so you get focused even harder if not in cover, just div up with a shima so you have a spotter 

Players
89 posts
4,024 battles

I've noticed a lot more players now are simply not shooting until someone else shoots at the beginning of the battle. Even if given the flat broadside of an enemy cruiser to shoot at, they simply wont shoot until someone else opens fire and gets spotted first.

This is especially annoying when you are trying to cap, spot the enemy DD, and your team simply does nothing or they don't even have their guns pointed towards the cap.

[BODEM]
Players
853 posts
7,493 battles

Maybe the Japanese line is not for you. I'm not great in them either. Too heavy and big. My favorites? RN DD gunboats. Nasty little f-ers that are small and agile as fk. Gotta get used to the shell arc, but they get off their spot like roadrunner, got a great 360 degrees rear turret, smoke has low duration but also low cd and you get lot of them, hydro is a good tool to spot other DDs in smoke, individual releasable torps with good range is another plus, good HE with excellent reload speed. So many positive stuff going on there. 

I'm using wasd hacks on max rang while continuously firing at whatever is in range. Best use islands ofc, but open water firing is possible too. It's best to do so while in proximity of friends, so when the enemy is tired of missing you, they start focussing on your teammembers. As your rear turret is 360 degrees and is fully wd-40'd you can charge at stuff with ad-slalom hack to dodge bullits while having full fire power most of the time. Keep the enemy guessing by moving unpredictable and you can tape down your left mouse button while living long and prosper. 

• Cool 4

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

So I swapped to the Jaguar. Died instantly in one game. Made useless in another due to CV's and dd's with better conceal. Gonna quit DD's for a bit. 

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,047 battles
19 minutes ago, Barney_Wobba said:

So I swapped to the Jaguar.

I don't think the French DDs are particularly easy to play (of the 'no smoke' crowd, I have T5, T6 and Terrible); my feeling is that it's helpful to get the hang of the more dakka play-style in other things first (perhaps US?) that are generally more forgiving.

Of course, the USSR line is the classic dakka line, but they're rather high-vis, and generally lack longer-range torps at the 'learning' tiers.

That said, the T5 French DD does have a rather cheeky stealth-torp window that seems to be very usable...

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
853 posts
7,493 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I don't think the French DDs are particularly easy to play (of the 'no smoke' crowd, I have T5, T6 and Terrible); my feeling is that it's helpful to get the hang of the more dakka play-style in other things first (perhaps US?) that are generally more forgiving.

Of course, the USSR line is the classic dakka line, but they're rather high-vis, and generally lack longer-range torps at the 'learning' tiers.

That said, the T5 French DD does have a rather cheeky stealth-torp window that seems to be very usable...

US DDs are quite big too. I was always struggling with getting seen first when I started to grind up the US DD tree. 

[VNGC]
Players
170 posts
4,433 battles

Stopping playing for a while. I had three more games, came last in two and 1 off last and all same thing: spotted, zerged. My own negativity from losing so much is affecting how I play so best put down the keyboard and walk away for a bit.

• Cool 1

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,419 battles

Im gonna guess, or no Im gonna state youre doing something wrong :P Dont go straight for caps, dont overextent. Make sure you know where the radarcruisers are and where the CVs planes are going. Make sure you have an escape plan, dont advance if your smoke is on CD. Etc Etc.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
2,118 posts
19,708 battles

To answer your question: From a gameplay point of view there is no point in gunboat DDs as they do not play like like "regular" DDs (as you apparently already noticed). From a player perspective they do hold some benefits as they offer a different style of play.

Beta Tester
2,309 posts
13,211 battles
On 8/1/2019 at 1:27 AM, Barney_Wobba said:

Just had SEVEN games in a row as a dd and I was almost always the first to die. I'm not even trying to push or cap or spot.

Gunboat haru...6.9 det range, moment I open fire...focused by tons OR I am already torpedoed and the smoke and killed in smoke. I've played a lot, but this is a joke, I am almost 100% defensive but it does not matter...radar, CV, DD spotted...then you may as well log off. Really, it is that bad. I've tried almost everything other than just reversing all game despite the mockery of my team and crap talk of 'GO SPOT HARU' etc.

Didnt you learn to play the line grinding Akizuki and Kitakaze?

Haru is pretty much a mini-Wooster with its gunpower, Dakka dakka and arcs. Dont go for caps the first half of the game, but you can surely support other DDs going for caps from range in smoke. You will scare the life out of any BB captain with your hose of fire and 2 sets of 12km IJN torps. You can also murder radarcruisers that gets spotted sitting just outside capcircle trying to radar your friends.

You also have the arcs and range to sit safe behind an island and firespam any ship within your range, hell nor even CVs will try and strike you. You have one of the strongest DPM in the game, just create opportunities to use it.

Me, I sometimes like to play it a bit aggressive.

Akizuki was a Monster in combination with Yamamoto captain!!

[THESO]
Players
8,750 posts
44,622 battles
On 8/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Didnt you learn to play the line grinding Akizuki and Kitakaze?

Haru though has one issue : it eats BB pens. Sometimes a very huge ones like almost 20k from one salvo. 

Oh God Why 02082019162339~2.jpg

Players
6,338 posts
12,731 battles
On 8/1/2019 at 1:27 AM, Barney_Wobba said:

You mean like this? :Smile-_tongue:

Spoiler

• Funny 2

[THESO]
Players
8,750 posts
44,622 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

You mean like this? :Smile-_tongue:

Hide contents

Lol this music :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,309 posts
13,211 battles
5 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Haru though has one issue : it eats BB pens. Sometimes a very huge ones like almost 20k from one salvo. 

Oh God Why 02082019162339~2.jpg

Sure, that happens.  I just ment that the triplets has somewhat same playstyle.

Haru also have the arcs and range of a Wooster pretty much which means you can spend fist 8-10 minutes by melting CAs and BBs from behind island and later you can use smoke (after enemy DDs are dead) and melt the last poor scmucks.

Also some of the best torps in the game with reload booster.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

I struggled with this for weeks until I learned that my match starts 5-10 minutes after everyone elses.

Against radar : Install the mod that shows which ships have radar and their radar range, if the enemy team has lots of radar, your battle should start 5-10 minutes after everyone elses, just sail around a bit doing very little early on, if you run AFT you can provide some 10Km+ cover for whichever DD on your team decides to suicide early for doing "DD things". If you cap, spot or do basically anything early game, you'll be the first and only ship spotted 10/10 times and the first to die 9/10 times since the opponent has nothing else to point their guns at.

As for people telling you to go cap or spot with 4 enemy radar ships, tell them to eat a bag of dlcks and install the mod for permanently removing game chat if you plan on playing DD frequently. You'll only ever get two messages anyway Why you no die in cap for me noob? And Omg why you die in cap noob.

The mod with the 20s timer telling you when you go dark also helps a fair bit. Just play mind numbingly passive early on and have fun the 2nd half of the match, being the only or one of few remaining DDs is fun.

Against CVs : Use AA heavy DDs with DefAA and sail with AA disabled to avoid being spotted, if you are spotted, hit DefAA consumable, CV planes did not expect you there, they have no angle to strike and will lose a lot of planes in the time it takes them to angle for a strike, they will typically lose all their planes if you do this in a Grozovoi. "Trapping" planes like this tends to piss off CV players because you knocked out all their planes early game with 0 damage to show for it, you just wasted 5+ minutes of his time so be prepared for him searching/hunting you the rest of the match, which is a good thing cuz the enemy team is down a CV this round.

Tldr DD tactics
- Radar? Play like a pussy first 5-10 minutes, be a pussy or die, your choice
- CVs? Trap planes by sailing around AA disabled and hit DefAA once spotted