You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hanse77SWE

How do you think the game should be funded

How do you think the game should be funded?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think the game should be funded?

• Ad revenue
    • F2P with voluntary microtransactions (as it is now)
    • Monthly fee

54 comments in this topic

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,307 battles

Basically, "How do we keep the server-hamsters fed?"

I've seen alot of talk about the money part of the game and what is and isn't good about it so I'm curious what you, the community, see as a good and fair way to to keep the game going.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,201 battles

Just keep it as it is, you are not forced to buy anything.

I am strongly against monthly fee as I have premium account. It would made it feel like paying twice.

In general I do not play anything that require monthly fee, because I do not do that (no more solid reason than that).

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

As it is now, but without the ''surprise mechanics''. Let the customer know what they're getting, that would be a given if these companies had any decency.

• Cool 4

[MORIA]
Players
7,346 posts
36,627 battles
4 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I am strongly against monthly fee as I have premium account. It would made it feel like paying twice.

In general I do not play anything that require monthly fee, because I do not do that (no more solid reason than that).

Or maybe make a small fee with lower price of premium account? Though I think many players would run away 

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,520 battles

EVE online exists since 2003 with the same business model. So why change something that works? 

• Cool 1

Modder
4,873 posts
22,141 battles

This game would not survive without F2P model and even not paying players are very important. Such thing like shrinking playerbase makes people to think twice to invest money.

Paid subscription could be only optional and for example give some unusal profits like ex.: ships to testing, free captain respec/moving, higher chance to get SC from daily containers, rabate coupon to both premium shop and game client which could be drawed once from (ex. 30%-70% value with the same chance) at subscription start time, special subscription camo, chance to win a trip to WG studio etc.

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,957 battles
34 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

But you have a premium account.... Technically you are paying a monthly fee already. You're only paying it from your own free will.

On topic: can't answer this as I don't know what the amount of regular players is, the amount of players that buy ships and the amount of players with a sub. In theory I think that if ships were at least half the price, they would sell 4+ times the amount of them.

In my friends group there are not that many paying players because of the ships being priced as much as tripple A games and their money is valuable. If new ships were around 20 euro instead of the usual 40 euro mark, my friends would at least be triggered to buy something each month. (I would.) Now it's only the occasional premium time. The reason I wrote the first part of this comment is tgat I don't know if the price is higher because the sales are lower or that the sales are lower because the prices are higher. Maybe WG predicts most people are going free to play anyways and therefore going for 40/80/100+ euro ship/packages or maybe the whales they got in their pond now are enough for them as quite a lot of people buy everything what WG throws at them, regardless of what it is. 

So I don't know if toning down the prices for ships and packages would up the sales and if there's a win-win situation in there for both WG an customers.

• Cool 2

Players
2,385 posts
15,508 battles

I'd like it to be sponsored by the government with the direct oversight of Mr. Putin! :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,201 battles
2 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

Technically you are paying a monthly fee already. You're only paying it from your own free will.

That would actually depend on solution of what happens when your monthly fee run out and you will not pay for another month.

As in case of internet it is cut off and you need to pay additional fee to get it back.

When premium runs out nothing happens.

I am paying from my own free will, and I am not willing to pay for it twice (monthly subscription + premium account) as that would double the price of the game.

[HOO]
Players
1,901 posts
3,742 battles

As is now. To change it too anything else would demand a huge amount of effort from WG to rebalance the economy and rewards in the game.

The trend in gaming has moved away from monthly subscription. look at Eve. They had to change in order to keep the player numbers, and cater for the people that like to play several games.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Not via lootboxes & "frustrating the playerbase into buying them". So: like in 2017 & 2018: with a fully-decked out Techtree, discounts on older premium ships,... That would pry away doubloons (and money) from people who are now reluctant (or refusing) to buy or spend.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,589 posts
41,750 battles

I voted as it is.

Why? To give a meaningful answer I need access to figures that only WG has. Number of players w premium, price elasticity etc on the microtransactions etc, not mine or any players guesses.

I think that games as this one is probably necessary to use a model not far from this, history/naval buffs like myself that are willing to pay a lot of a visually good looking game (ship models) as there are no alternative and to fill up the numbers a F2P model also, with some P4C/P2P for all/those players so to bring access to max amount of players while maximizing profit. I am pretty sure they analyze a lot. Lootboxes without more specific winning or guaranteed winning chances is the main critizism.

I have bought them nonetheless but it does not make me feel comfy about them. Increased chance with a premium container?? Not fun at all.  

Especially when the value of more prem camos when you have 2500-3000 already is very small. As I have an most of my ships that I play a lot perma camos either bought or from missions.

[AMOK]
Players
1,961 posts
8,601 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, FukushuNL sagte:

But you have a premium account.... Technically you are paying a monthly fee already. You're only paying it from your own free will.

On topic: can't answer this as I don't know what the amount of regular players is, the amount of players that buy ships and the amount of players with a sub. In theory I think that if ships were at least half the price, they would sell 4+ times the amount of them.

In my friends group there are not that many paying players because of the ships being priced as much as tripple A games and their money is valuable. If new ships were around 20 euro instead of the usual 40 euro mark, my friends would at least be triggered to buy something each month. (I would.) Now it's only the occasional premium time. The reason I wrote the first part of this comment is tgat I don't know if the price is higher because the sales are lower or that the sales are lower because the prices are higher. Maybe WG predicts most people are going free to play anyways and therefore going for 40/80/100+ euro ship/packages or maybe the whales they got in their pond now are enough for them as quite a lot of people buy everything what WG throws at them, regardless of what it is. 

So I don't know if toning down the prices for ships and packages would up the sales and if there's a win-win situation in there for both WG an customers.

This. And from my point of view more reasonable pricing of ships would definitely trigger me to buy more.

• Cool 1

[BOTZ]
Players
287 posts
22,860 battles
4 hours ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Basically, "How do we keep the server-hamsters fed?"

I've seen alot of talk about the money part of the game and what is and isn't good about it so I'm curious what you, the community, see as a good and fair way to to keep the game going.

Well by the amount of Premium ships you have purchased I'd assume you'd have funded this game entirely on your own).

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,307 battles
4 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

If monthly fee was introduced there would be no such thing as a premium-account. No premium-shop and no premium-ships. The monthly fee would be the only income for the game.

• Cool 1

Players
515 posts
15,221 battles

I don't really care.

They are one of thousands of companies trying to sell me entertainment. If I like the product generally, the current state of the product and can afford the pricing, I will make sure to send some money in their general direction.

• Cool 2

Players
958 posts
13,770 battles

I voted for the status quo.

I would however welcome the opportunity created by locking out gameplay behind compulsory payments: it would give me a bona fide case to claim back all of the money i have spent on premium ships that i have now been denied access to by an avaricious business acting in bad faith. The legal action would be hilarious :cap_tea:

Players
7,072 posts
245 battles

I would keep it as it is, since i wouldnt have the money to play the game otherwise (i dont earn enough atm to justify monthly fee on top of other subs and two other mouths to help feed).

but...i would make the microtransactions, cosmetics, effects, sound effects (so main guns and secondaries) captains, flags and camos.

for ships maybe have weekly or monthly design a ship comps so the best based on balance, looks, functionality, uniqueness and purpose/role would be picked and maybe do the same for maps (although without paying for maps). 

And with these new prem ships they can be earned in missions or bought outright, but not always having a grindy mission but also having missions that require skill or a one or two time thing making them more varied.

also have the chance for all cosmetics to be earned via playing the game but have those community made ships and camos and even flags and maybe skins avalible for purchease along with ones wargaming makes (and have the option for the creators of those community items except for ships and eco flags, free to have depending on various things).

just my silly ideas i guess lol

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles
4 hours ago, Linkaex said:

EVE online exists since 2003 with the same business model. So why change something that works? 

AFAIK they've implemented a freemium model, and also their player numbers have dropped a lot.

[MORIA]
Players
7,346 posts
36,627 battles
34 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

If monthly fee was introduced there would be no such thing as a premium-account. No premium-shop and no premium-ships. The monthly fee would be the only income for the game.

But this would take away many players. On the bright sight - there would be significantly less kids. 

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,842 posts
8,985 battles

If the game would be in a proper state, i voted 3. But they would change A LOT for that to actually be a viable option. On the other hand, id see a much more enjoyable game, thats why i would like it.

• Cool 1

Players
75 posts
10,844 battles

Just leave it as it is .... it works. People who want to play free can do that and other who want to get their stuff faster can pay for it.

Seems fair to me.

Only thing is that Wows may change is the lootbox chance, that can be a bit higher and with bit I mean a lot higher.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,842 posts
8,985 battles
1 hour ago, _HMS_RICHY said:

Well by the amount of Premium ships you have purchased I'd assume you'd have funded this game entirely on your own).

Never be too sure about that one :Smile_teethhappy:

The only premium ship i used money on, was the cossack which was ofc 89cents... But i have tons of premiums by playing and getting a bit lucky in giveaways :Smile_trollface:

So you never know about premiums, if you play long enough, you can have a nice set by free to play aswell, i could even have more, f.e. i did let the Laso slip through. (havent looked at his account tho, so maybe he has all premiums :Smile_hiding:)

• Funny 1