thisismalacoda

Japanese vs Russian vs French at T8+

9 comments in this topic

Players
516 posts

I own Worcester and soon DM. Now I'm looking for a third line to grind beyond T7 among the three mentioned.

I tend to play light Cruisers really badly when I'm positioning aggressively. Marginally better results when I'm just a max distance firestarter, but that gameplay bores me to death. Basically which of these three lines is the most forgiving and ideally comes with at least situationally useful torps. Radar is not a big plus, as I have that on both US lines. I have 12/13 point captains for all three and can't really get them higher on short notice.

Cheers for any input

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
23 hours ago, thisismalacoda said:

I own Worcester and soon DM. Now I'm looking for a third line to grind beyond T7 among the three mentioned.

I tend to play light Cruisers really badly when I'm positioning aggressively. Marginally better results when I'm just a max distance firestarter, but that gameplay bores me to death. Basically which of these three lines is the most forgiving and ideally comes with at least situationally useful torps. Radar is not a big plus, as I have that on both US lines. I have 12/13 point captains for all three and can't really get them higher on short notice.

Cheers for any input

Asking on IJN and RU and FR lines with light cruisers?

Don't like playing long range, don't get Moskva or Senjo or even the baguette which is MADE for kiting and dodging babies with the spoodbeast. 

Forgiving -> Senjo has troll armor but it will troll you back just as hard. Baguettes have spaced armor but rely on evasion and are therefore quite active playstyle ships ( still at CM myself but that's an accurate description imho ). Moskva was the first 'super cruiser' but is falling short nowadays compared with some ships which do the bow in tanky stuff better. Still I think my highest ever potential dmg in a cruiser was a Moskva with 4.5m potential damage, but that was long ago. 

But if you want to play light cruisers and already have wooster and RN ( or no interest in RN ), I would look forward playing FR DD's. Those are basically light cruisers without citadels 

• Cool 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
40 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

Asking on IJN and RU and FR lines with light cruisers?

Don't like playing long range, don't get Moskva or Senjo or even the baguette which is MADE for kiting and dodging babies with the spoodbeast. 

Forgiving -> Senjo has troll armor but it will troll you back just as hard. Baguettes have spaced armor but rely on evasion and are therefore quite active playstyle ships ( still at CM myself but that's an accurate description imho ). Moskva was the first 'super cruiser' but is falling short nowadays compared with some ships which do the bow in tanky stuff better. Still I think my highest ever potential dmg in a cruiser was a Moskva with 4.5m potential damage, but that was long ago. 

But if you want to play light cruisers and already have wooster and RN ( or no interest in RN ), I would look forward playing FR DD's. Those are basically light cruisers without citadels 

Alpha times, when Zao was called Senjo ended quite some time ago despite what WG tries to show off with CV REEEwork:cap_book:

And not sure where you've got idea of Moskva being "lacking" large cruiser - she's most tanky, as Stalingrad have noticeably smaller 50mm bow section, while 305mm guns don't provide much to the table when it comes to overmatch, while Moskva still can pump out shells every 9s, unlike 16.3s in best case scenario, Yoshino

On 7/30/2019 at 8:41 PM, thisismalacoda said:

I tend to play light Cruisers really badly when I'm positioning aggressively. Marginally better results when I'm just a max distance firestarter, but that gameplay bores me to death. Basically which of these three lines is the most forgiving and ideally comes with at least situationally useful torps. Radar is not a big plus, as I have that on both US lines. I have 12/13 point captains for all three and can't really get them higher on short notice.

Russians are all about long range shelling, they have range and ballistics for that, while their squishiness makes you reconsider any vodka induced bravery to make use of their glorious one way ticket 4km torps. IJN and French are kiters though of different flavors - IJN rely on stealth, putting out one-two accurate salvos only to disappear into darkness as well putting their serious torpedo payloads to use at edge of detection against closing in foes. Croissants rely on open water shenanigans with WSAD hax and their Engine Boost, with occasional use of Main Battery Reload Booster to blast some citadels on open broadside or set some extra fires

"Forgiving" and "cruisers" don't really mix well to start with.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Alpha times, when Zao was called Senjo ended quite some time ago despite what WG tries to show off with CV REEEwork:cap_book:

And not sure where you've got idea of Moskva being "lacking" large cruiser - most tanky, as Stalingrad have noticeably smaller 50mm bow section, while 305mm guns don't provide much to the table when it comes to overmatch, while Moskva still can pump out shells every 9s, unlike 16.3s in best case scenario, Yoshino

Senjo will live on forever. 

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't like playing Moskva one bit, haven't touched it since I started playing yesterday for instance.  And yeah ballistics aren't much better with the new additions ( if any, looking at you IJN but hey you got HE right ). I haven't checked server stats in a long time, but I thought Moskva was dropping behind a bit, naturally since I'm crap in it I blamed it on the ship itself :Smile_popcorn:

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
1 minute ago, mtm78 said:

Senjo will live on forever. 

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't like playing Moskva one bit, haven't touched it since I started playing yesterday for instance.  And yeah ballistics aren't much better with the new additions ( if any, looking at you IJN but hey you got HE right ). I haven't checked server stats in a long time, but I thought Moskva was dropping behind a bit, naturally since I'm crap in it I blamed it on the ship itself :Smile_popcorn:

Well, Yoshino/Azuma have "comparable" ballistics and only slightly better AP pen than Moskva despite noticeably bigger caliber and shell weight. Only large cruisers with AP actually worth something against T10 BB main belts are Kron and Stalingrad, rest needs to be closer than you're usually comfortable with.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

From what I seen in streams that AP pen ( Yosho / Azuma ) isn't even near Moskva levels but I could be very wrong, I know there are probably distance / pen charts floating around I'm not familiar with atm. I assumed air drag was terrible and pen dropped off hugely with distance compared to the Moskva. 

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

Moskva is still a very solid cruiser overall. They buffed massively its armor since you last played mtm, and it's still the king of long range sniping.

Stalingrad is more powerful but it's also even more extreme and lacks DPM against angled target.

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
12 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

From what I seen in streams that AP pen ( Yosho / Azuma ) isn't even near Moskva levels but I could be very wrong, I know there are probably distance / pen charts floating around I'm not familiar with atm. I assumed air drag was terrible and pen dropped off hugely with distance compared to the Moskva. 

https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/

https://wowsft.com

Both unofficial datamines, so both can be as accurate as pissing after 1l of vodka:Smile_smile:

AP pen I don't find to be an issue for Azuma class, their dispersion is. And they have "improved" dispersion already over regular CB, whom follow Graf Spee pattern.

Overall, I can say Azuma class is balanced, though Azuma is powercrept by her T10 sister HARD. Thing is, with increasingly overgimmicky or otherwise broken ships WG have been pulling out for some time already, "balanced" doesn't cut it:Smile_popcorn:

Oh I've forgot

tbeh2qv52tc31.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Cool 5