You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Review: T5 Jaguar, French Destroyer

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
11,686 battles

Hey guys!

Managed to get the mission for the T5&6 destroyers Jaguar and Geupard from some premium containers gifted to me from a subscriber so I thought I put my review here if any other players are struggeling with this ship and maybe want some tips and tricks on how to play it to its strength.

First of, I dont think the T5 Jaguar is a good representation of the French destroyer line after have played the T6 Geupard as well. I say this because the T5 Jaguar cant slot the upgraded speed boost module to get your French speed boost to last 4.5 minutes, but more important, it doesn't have access to the Main Battery Reload Booster that is the game changer for this line and what transformes the T6 Geupard to a very dangerous Destroyer Hunter/Killer if played right.

But if we talk more about this T5 Jaguar, you shouldn't really play this as a run and gun French DD, but more like a US DD with good torps, good lobbing arcs on its shells and pretty awesome firechance. So make use of all the small islands on those T5 maps and sit behind cover and set ships on fire left and right, when you are done with that you can go out in the open and kill of enemy BBs with your French DD torps which are actually quite potent.

I also have to say this. Having only played the T5 and 6 so far I can see a huge potential in this line. That said, I dont think this line is for everyone, I dont think this line is for the average, casual player. This line is high risk/skill, high reward!! But if you make mistakes in these ships you will get punished .... HARD! So for a DD main like me, that has been a DD main since CBT, and loves a challange, I see many fun games for me in the future, grinding this line. But having played all the other lines and also only having experience of the T5 & T6 of this line so far I think the skill floor for these destroyers are quite high, higher then any other DD line in my experence.

All other DD lines usually have some redeeming treats, smoke, good stealth, good AA or maybe some heals. This line will reward players that knows when to stop fireing, players who know when to engage and when to go dark. Players that can read and interpret information given to him from the game and and the minimap. You dont have any heals in these ships. To become successful you need to rely on your cunning and ability to setup perfect ambush points on the map for the enemy DDs to maximize on the potential of your speed and MBRB.

Just to mention the Main Battery Reload Booster that are available on the T6 Geupard. Imho, you should never waste the MBRB on a cruiser or a BB unless you are certain you can secure a kill from it. MBRB should only be reserved to take out the enemy DDs, and THAT it does, were talking almost Kitakaze/Harugumo DPM for 15 seconds at T6-7, That said, at T6-7 you can devestate most cruisers showing broadside to you if you shoot AP with MBRB.

So here is my review on the T5 Jaguar.

shot-19_07.26_23_43.29-0565.thumb.jpg.d92d3dacf7355cac01bfa9ef08bf9599.jpg

I will also upload a review of the T6 Geupard soon on my channel, so if you are interested in that, make sure you subscribe to the channel so you dont miss any updates. Oldschool Gaming @ YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjTFH4vF-jnNdTSppCezDIw

As I said before, the T6 Geupard is when this line starts to really shine. And when the Destroyer Hunter/Killer shows himself.

shot-19_07.27_09_11.39-0169.thumb.jpg.0075f7dff85f5fda6f3533cd093e83f7.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_11.45-0765.thumb.jpg.a2cb2d40595c856bc6430871cb199d0d.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_11.52-0000.thumb.jpg.e0c133e6d7557a4c18faa1eeb751bd93.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_37.28-0381.thumb.jpg.7105d6ad7e197bdfc6c06b74dcf55da7.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_37.41-0583.thumb.jpg.c9a9dbeb83456267d7ebfaa268503a1d.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_38.02-0998.thumb.jpg.b7d982bda9fc9d91386a2ed4b9cd6b29.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_54.45-0445.thumb.jpg.258fabf0af69e4a32f41c76dbade05e7.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_54.55-0847.thumb.jpg.a1f74df2f917683978a683c0891d6d93.jpg

shot-19_07.27_09_55.16-0006.thumb.jpg.104098b61ad824c9448da96605582b69.jpg

shot-19_07.29_18_39.31-0084.thumb.jpg.4c1165ff2dd89a8c63ebd4076138076d.jpg

shot-19_07.29_18_39.35-0427.thumb.jpg.96dbf4e6730ab2860f1fd358fdd8c1ba.jpg

shot-19_07.29_18_39.58-0710.thumb.jpg.70dfd0da54144905914b4ec7378647e3.jpg

shot-19_07.30_17_20.45-0292.thumb.jpg.f23ff5cec8d2a88b81137de11e2958f0.jpg

shot-19_07.30_17_21.25-0658.thumb.jpg.2aeb984b03aa7b5ad6f9fd248351768a.jpg

shot-19.07.30_17.21.50-0604.jpg

As I said, I see a potential in this line!

• Cool 9

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,941 battles

Serious question:

How are we all managing to mitigate the threat from supporting ships? If all the stars are in alignment for me, I will have a rip-roaring game of damage on everything with both he and ap. 

In most games, as soon as I hit a cap circle, everything within 25km is not only shooting at me but also more often than not hitting me, even with speed boost on. I find this particularly problematic with Mogador, in which I seem to eat massive accurate damage from BB main batteries, even while I'm kiting/maneuvering.

1v1 against DDs they're really powerful but I seem to only very rarely get into positions to use that power without being hammered by everything else.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,920 posts
16,150 battles

Unlocked Guepard today - good ship, a little more nimble than Aigle, a little more Dakka... although I'd say her sister is better balanced. And those event camos.... eek. Can we not have proper MN zebra camos like Aigle, with the number on the front?  Even the Guepard one for doubloons doesn't have it....

• Cool 1

[R3B3L]
Players
893 posts
29,551 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

And those event camos.... eek. Can we not have proper MN zebra camos like Aigle, with the number on the front?  Even the Guepard one for doubloons doesn't have it....

I wish, but WG doesn´t really care about historical camos, instead gives us circus-patterns :fish_palm:

• Cool 2

Players
3,374 posts
14,100 battles
1 hour ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Serious question:

How are we all managing to mitigate the threat from supporting ships? If all the stars are in alignment for me, I will have a rip-roaring game of damage on everything with both he and ap. 

In most games, as soon as I hit a cap circle, everything within 25km is not only shooting at me but also more often than not hitting me, even with speed boost on. I find this particularly problematic with Mogador, in which I seem to eat massive accurate damage from BB main batteries, even while I'm kiting/maneuvering.

1v1 against DDs they're really powerful but I seem to only very rarely get into positions to use that power without being hammered by everything else.

I’ll play them with you buddy don’t worry.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
1 hour ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Serious question:

I had the same issue

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
11,686 battles
8 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Yes all of them so far are very amazing.

Have had only success in them so far.

Do you have some of the higher ones? Im really looking forward to try and get those to work just as good. I usuallu get 2-3 DD kills per game in Geupard. Do anyone known if there is a big difference besides HP between the T6-7-8?

7 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Serious question:

I think yhis could be the problem. I almost always wait a long while before I go into the caps, usually by then most "DD cap killers" has lost interest and are way of in the distance and enemy DD are away trying to torp. Usually I start each game and try and predict how I would go if I was the enemy DD and then I look at the minimap and try to analyze the best course of action to get a ambush on him. Hit and run is my tactic, trying to take out the enemy DDs in the first half of the game, then I go for torps on pushing CA/BBs.

Most problem I see is that you are usually very vounarable the 15 seconds you kite in a straight line trying to kill the enemy DD. During this time a CL can get 2-3 salvos in and that hurts. ANd I say kite in a straight line because as soon as you try and manuover just a bit to avoid incoming fire your guns train of target and you loose out on boost reload. So a part of the ambush plan is to know where all CLs are and how close and what angle they are. Minimap awareness is so much more impoertant in this line then in any other DD line (Ifeel), and thats why im saying that this line is probably the DD line with the highest skill floor.

Its not a line for casual or average players, but more a line for hardline DD mains that wants a new challange. These ships dont let you get away with even the smallest mistake.

7 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Unlocked Guepard today - good ship, a little more nimble than Aigle, a little more Dakka... although I'd say her sister is better balanced. And those event camos.... eek. Can we not have proper MN zebra camos like Aigle, with the number on the front?  Even the Guepard one for doubloons doesn't have it....

Are they that bad? Damn, I was thinking about getting the T7 camo, because of T7. 

7 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

I wish, but WG doesn´t really care about historical camos, instead gives us circus-patterns :fish_palm:

Just remember the "Pinata on Crack" camo I got for my Cleveland.....

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,941 battles
1 hour ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

*snip*

I know that wasn't necessarily just for my benefit, but it's not like I'm an inexperienced DD player, and in fact I'm a much better knife fighter than I am a torp player.

And yet I still struggle - not with radar, other DDs or map awareness, just with long range fire. I run double rudder too. I feel like I'm the same situation, I'd do a lot better in a Fletcher or a Daring (Gearings a different kettle of fish).

I think the problem is that she plays similarly to Khaba, but the lower concealment and the MBRB obliges you to get stuck in early, where everything is pointing at a cap.

[VH]
Players
169 posts
15,441 battles

for me its a painful game every time i play you are whined at to go and spot ive even had 3 cruisers saying i was not a team player because i wouldnt use my smoke for them clearly they dont know you dont have smoke and then when you do go and spot you are insta blapped in 3 cruisers salvos so your game is over in less than 5 mins..........once the event is over i will never be using the jaguar ever agsin

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,600 posts
24,021 battles

played le terrible since buff on a regular basis:

Le Terrible   Le Terrible 8 France 87 59.77% 2 269 53 351 0.85 0.28 Details

it's a harrasser line. kite out, bully around and , move... better to where none else is, at least rather than straight towards the enemy lol. it gives you any option you could want: where and when to go to and who to engage.

secrect is: don't stop moving. a and d before w and s so to say. it loves the open. basically it's a bit like playing a khaba, but on steroids. with less muscle. less punch and more chance for success. paradox i name u :Smile_great:...

luv it!

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,575 posts
24,764 battles

TBH IMO Jaguar is pretty meh (mind you I am one of people that bought Terrible and acctually found it quite ok even before buffs) as it doesnt  really get any real tradeoff advanrage for losing a smoke, not that its unplayable, annoyingly weak or anything, simply

meh...

Considering the line - since they shoud be "Terrible like" they shoud be fun at limited exposure levels

• Cool 1

[R3B3L]
Players
893 posts
29,551 battles
5 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Just remember the "Pinata on Crack" camo I got for my Cleveland.....

Umm, this one?

that.thumb.jpg.62b585316ea5c173378d88f6ecebfc04.jpg

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
11,686 battles
4 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I know that wasn't necessarily just for my benefit, but it's not like I'm an inexperienced DD player, and in fact I'm a much better knife fighter than I am a torp player.

And yet I still struggle - not with radar, other DDs or map awareness, just with long range fire. I run double rudder too. I feel like I'm the same situation, I'd do a lot better in a Fletcher or a Daring (Gearings a different kettle of fish).

I think the problem is that she plays similarly to Khaba, but the lower concealment and the MBRB obliges you to get stuck in early, where everything is pointing at a cap.

I think its a hard line to get a grasp on, I havent zeroed in on a best cap build for this yet. On my Geupard I love Expert Marksman, but at the same time that makes me waste points I could use for AR or DE  or something else. I think its much much easier to do good in other lines for sure, but im just intrigued by the challenge. 

3 hours ago, oosel said:

for me its a painful game every time i play you are whined at to go and spot ive even had 3 cruisers saying i was not a team player because i wouldnt use my smoke for them clearly they dont know you dont have smoke and then when you do go and spot you are insta blapped in 3 cruisers salvos so your game is over in less than 5 mins..........once the event is over i will never be using the jaguar ever agsin

I do a whole lot of spotting for the team but I do it with caution, specially if their is a carrier in the game. But even without i tread carefully before I get a firm grasp on where all the ships are. When engagements have started I will try and locate their DD and try and predict his movement, then I look at his backup, specially the CLs, where are they located, where are they looking, and if the plan looks good I go in and hunt and kill the DD and hopefully I will have time to go dark before they start focusing on my and after that its back to the minimap. Where is my next victim? Where is he going? Where can I intercept?

And on it goes. And sure, if im able to launch some torps at some BBs on the way or even sink one I do that to.

2 hours ago, Yedwy said:

TBH IMO Jaguar is pretty meh (mind you I am one of people that bought Terrible and acctually found it quite ok even before buffs) as it doesnt  really get any real tradeoff advanrage for losing a smoke, not that its unplayable, annoyingly weak or anything, simply

meh...

Considering the line - since they shoud be "Terrible like" they shoud be fun at limited exposure levels

I totally agree. Jaguar is more like a T5 US DD. High arcs, high firechance and better torps then US. So just sit behind islands and set fires and then torp BBs.

43 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

Umm, this one?

that.thumb.jpg.62b585316ea5c173378d88f6ecebfc04.jpg

0340fe7a6ad14db2be0587e86c83e947.thumb.jpg.3b47290a5f50c2f22b82544a069bc4ac.jpg

• Funny 1

[R3B3L]
Players
893 posts
29,551 battles
1 hour ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Spoiler

0340fe7a6ad14db2be0587e86c83e947.thumb.jpg.3b47290a5f50c2f22b82544a069bc4ac.jpg

I have no idea what Macaulay Culkin is trying to say to me :Smile_ohmy:

[-TPF-]
Players
3,920 posts
16,150 battles

As a suggestion for the French DDs - if you have either of the Honore brothers as French captains, (Jean-Jacques or Charles Henri, the latter in the Armory for 1500 doubloons) then these are ideal captains. They have enhanced AR and EM skills which can be very useful on these gunboats. 

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
11,686 battles
22 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

As a suggestion for the French DDs - if you have either of the Honore brothers as French captains, (Jean-Jacques or Charles Henri, the latter in the Armory for 1500 doubloons) then these are ideal captains. They have enhanced AR and EM skills which can be very useful on these gunboats. 

I actually bought the twin in the Armoury just for this, the original one is still piloting my Henri IV. That said, the moment I unlock the new upcoming special captain, Phillipe, I will put him on the DDs and try and grind him to 19 points as soon as possible. He will be OP A-F on that line.

image.thumb.png.43496daf817e8769844dbdc537bef448.png

Think if you manage to get 2 Dev strikes in you DD and you get 20% realod buff on your guns?! What will the reload time be when you use the MBRB? Like 2 seconds!! And capping gives you 1% more firechance, I already have 12% firechance on my high DPM Geupard. Have mostly tanked 5-700 000 potential damage in T6 Geupard, but I guess its possible to get 1 or 2 million potential damage in T9 Mogador or T10 Kleber.

[UNICS]
Players
1,351 posts
20,666 battles

Average damage in the t6 now is 85k dmg in 7 games 2 of which was a full t8 match , strong ship for good players