You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tanatoy

PT - Research Bureau

79 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
4,253 posts
3,595 battles

Since its announcement, the Naval Training Center has received many changes, including the change of its name to 'Research Bureau'.

Soon you will be able to try out the new mechanics on the public test server for update 0.8.7. Today, we would like to summarize all the details of the Research bureau.

The core of the system remains the same: players will be able to earn a new research points resource and spend it in a special section of the Armory. To do this, players will need to reset researched branches of ships and then research them again.

More about the Research bureau:

Each player, who has at least two tier X researchable ships in port, will be able to reset any researchable branch of the ships. In this case, the research of the branch will be canceled, and the ships sold with all modules.

Reset rules:

• You must have researched a tier X ship in the branch you want to reset, but you don't have to research all previous ships in the branch;
  • The branch is completely reset to the tier I ship. For example, if you decide to drop a branch of Soviet destroyers starting with Grozovoy, it will be reset to Minsk and then to Storozhevoy and Novik. After that, if you want, you will be able to reset the another Soviet destroyers branch, starting from Khabarovsk on the same principle, but the bonuses will be received only be for Khabarovsk, Tashkent and Kiev.
  • Modifications will be removed free of charge and moved to the inventory, commanders will be sent to the reserve and keep their specialization, all accumulated experience will be transferred to the first ship in the branch;
  • You can reset an unlimited number of branches.

When you reset a branch, ships from the VI-X level will receive a special mark, which can be taken off by winning on this ship. Activating this mark will give you research points.

More about the research points:

• If for some reason there were "gaps" of unresearched ships in the branch, these ships will not receive a bonus for the victory. For example, if during the early access you got the Soviet tier VIII battleship Vladivostok, and later researched the branch of Soviet battleships to the Kremlin and reset it, then you will get bonuses only for the tier VIII-X ships;
  • Bonus for the victory will be displayed in the port interface in the same way as other similar bonuses, for example, "stars" or "snowflakes";
  • You can get research points once per branch reset on each ship by gaining the first victory;
  • The number of research points that player can get depends on ship's tier. A player will be able to earn 10,000 Research Points for one branch reset:
    • 500 for the first victory on a tier VI ship;
    • 500 for the first victory on a tier VII ship;
    • 1500 for the first victory on a tier VIII ship;
    • 1500 for the first victory on a tier IX ship;
    • 6000 for the first victory on a tier X ship.

Player can get only 8000 research points for CV branch reset. This is due to the fact that approximately 20% less experience is required to research a CV branch.

In addition, each player with at least 2 tier X researchable ships in port will receive a one-time award of 10,000 research points for accessing the Research bureau system.

The research bureau system will be divided into seasons of 3 months each.

At the initial stage, the impact of the seasons on the Research bureau will be that the ships of the first branch reset in the season will receive a multiplier of double the amount of research points. This bonus will remain on the ships until the player gains his first victory on them.

This bonus will make it easier to accumulate research points for the most expensive awards. For example, to save for the Colbert (worth 57000 research points) the player will need 4 branch resets instead of 5 (Including a one-time award of 10,000 research points).

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 11
  • Angry 2

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
4,253 posts
3,595 battles

Rewards:

Research points can be exchanged at the Armory in the Research bureau section.

The Research bureau tab will be available to the player in the Armory only after receiving the first research points.

The Italian V-VII level Montecuccoli, Trento and Zara cruisers will be available on the public test server in the Research bureau. So, you can be one of the first to test the full-throttle smoke generator and semi-armor piercing shells mechanics. Details can be found on Thursday in the Developer Bulletin and news with details of the Public Test.

After the release of the 0.8.7 update, players will be able to exchange research points for the French tier X cruiser Colbert, and later it will be joined by the American tier X battleship Ohio. If you are not ready to save for a new ship, you will be able to profitably exchange the research points for combat signals and free XP bundles. One bundle of 250,000 free XP will cost 12500 research points.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary and all mentioned numbers may change afterwards.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1

[NED]
Players
2,015 posts
7,718 battles

to save for the Colbert (worth 57000 research points) the player will need 4 branch resets instead of 5

4 complete tier 1 to 10 grinds no free xp allowed ?

But camouflages and flags (especially the dragon flags) are allowed ?

[SMOL]
[SMOL]
Players
5 posts
7,669 battles

Sorry, no ship/reward is worth grinding again four/five lines, no matter how OP said ship is.

I get you guys want a new long goal term and I agree with that, but this one is just extremely bad, you're making a part of your playerbase not caring anymore about the game and just go and play something else.

It happened with the cv rework, it will happen if some OP ships are added and need a stupid amount of grinding to get them.

Really bad design for a F2P game.

• Cool 3

[NMA]
Players
1,037 posts
17,312 battles

If you ask me, totally missed idea, waste of development team time and effort which could have been better used. But no one is asking me so I'll shut up now.

Oh, @Sub_Octavian , remember that Gun bloom fix you promised 6 months ago?

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles
On 7/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, Tanatoy said:

Since its announcement, the Naval Training Center has received many changes, including the change of its name to 'Research Bureau'.

• I still think it is a bad idea to make players "forget" and remove ships from their port in order to get new content, you are limiting the options and fun of players; use missions for this!
  • using potentially too strong ships as rewards for this system is not that much different from additional power ups for old ships; please take extra care to make these ships balanced!
  • if you want players to play more different Tiers, why do you get rewards only for playing Tier VI+ ships and then only for ONE victory?

As suggested before: Please use missions for this. They can be multi stage on multiple Tiers. And if you are looking for a credit sink, make the missions buyable.

Want a mission for Ohio? Pay 50 million credits in the research center to activate the mission and play 100 to 300 battles (depending on skill and other factors) on Tier IV to VIII.

• Cool 10

[UNICS]
Players
4,308 posts
15,747 battles

Could it be done with dual lines for the research?

You reset/start over a line for a B-tree, but you still have access to these ships in the A-tree where research points aren't gained. I could grind some lines again, perhaps, but I suppose it would be those I find enjoyable, and I probably wouldn't want to lose access to the ships I enjoy.

When the research is done, the lines meld into a single tree again.

Not sure if this would go against the concept.

• Cool 2

[PLD]
Players
95 posts

No thanks not for me will pass on this and if the try to force it up on us i expect i find a new game to spend my time on.

• Cool 2

[TDOG]
Beta Tester
127 posts
7,036 battles

Well, My concerns, are, the sheer value these ships (Ohio and Colbert) have attributed to them

Its a stated 4-5 resets for the Colbert. (presumably since its a BB the Ohio will be more)

As an incredibly rough calculation (and i mean incredibly rough)
Thats circa 800k exp (times 4-5)
and 65 Million credits (ish plus upgraded module costs and such) x 4-5

So, 
Each of these is hitting the 4 Million EXP and 250 Million plus credit cost??

I Agree with both ColonelPete and Loppantorkel's comments,
Needs to be another way of doing this without locking people out from hard earned ships

(Also, whats to stop (I think nothing but i could be wrong)
This entire process basically being skipped by those with substantial Credit and Free XP reserves

You know, just, Free XP the line, Buy Tiers 6-10, Win a coop battle, 
Reset and Repeat until sufficient research points.
IF an unlimited amount can be reset in a season , then surely some players must be able to build up a reserve of research points as well.
(Also whats the point to these seasons and what happens if you haven't reground in this time frame?)

I havent played that many battles yet Ive nearly got the Free XP reserve (Admittedly if converted with dubloons) to do exactly this. 

All I foresee this becoming is a min max exercise. 
What line is cheapest to Free XP/Purchase Tiers 6-10? for the research point payoff  
Especially with the first reset of a season being double value as well.

• Cool 3

Players
15 posts
8,033 battles

what about if people buy free xp then jump the lines, wont they get points faster than everyone else?

why do ships have to be sold?, why not give them a padlock icon and not allow the ships to go into combat.

what about if you want cancel reresearching part way through?

if points start at T6 whats the point resetting it back to T1? why not just back to T6? people will just use a little bit of XP to jump to T6 anyway why not give people a reason to play from T1 and up, reduce points on T8 by 500 and redistribute them over the first 5 tiers

• Cool 1

Players
9,397 posts
11,021 battles
40 minutes ago, _Neps_12lewisFTW said:

what about if people buy free xp then jump the lines, wont they get points faster than everyone else?

Ring ding ding you've found an answer.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts

It must have been since 2016 and the assorted shenanigans of the old WG-EU missions that I've felt sorry for the picrogram of Uranium that decayed to provide power for the electrons that powered the very computer that first post was written on.  Such a waste of potential, just the same as this entire NTC/RB (same shizzle, different name) is a waste of development-resources & potential. 

Are you guys THAT strapped for cash, that you need to entice FXP-conversions with doubloons via this... "thing"?

• Cool 4

[DREAD]
Players
9,231 posts
6,465 battles

@Tanatoy

Questions:

1) what about perma camos?

2) what about commanders? They keep their specialization meaning the are still trained on the ship they used to be in when doing the reset?

3) rewards... as others pointed out. Four full regrinds to get the seemingly OP toy Colbert? Will there be different rewards as this one doesn’t really hook me up

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles

@Tanatoy

Just an explanation why the line reset is such a bad idea:

When you reset a line, you have to decide, if...

• you reset a line you like, then moving up the line will be easy, but you cannot play all the ships you like until you research them again, missing a lot of fun and options during the time; and even then it takes some time to get the ships back
  • you reset a line you do not like; you will not miss the ships then, but moving up the line will take foreever and will not be much fun..

Either option is in my opinion not good.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
390 posts
5,864 battles

I have 22 TX. So i think i'm the core target of WG to this research bureau.

So let me tell you this WG:

I WON'T SOLD ANY OF MY TX. EVER.

Even for the Kitakami. The only ship i could spend +200€ to have in my port. No matter how OP or sexy this reward ship could be. It's just a terrible idea and it will generate even more frustration when the super unicum (and i'm 64% WR btw) with big clan will spend all the XP to free pass the grind and make division with 3 OP crap ship. 

There's plenty of way to add high end content and plenty of people already told you what. But that. It's [edited].

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

The branch is completely reset to the tier I ship.

When you reset a branch, ships from the VI-X level will receive a special mark, which can be taken off by winning on this ship. Activating this mark will give you research points.

So you have to regrind the entire line, but only get rewards for it for tier VI upwards? Yeah ... how about no. This whole thing is supposed to be a time and effort sink, so why is a good part of the time and effort required not being rewarded at all? Makes no sense.

Also:

If for some reason there were "gaps" of unresearched ships in the branch, these ships will not receive a bonus for the victory. For example, if during the early access you got the Soviet tier VIII battleship Vladivostok, and later researched the branch of Soviet battleships to the Kremlin and reset it, then you will get bonuses only for the tier VIII-X ships

Great way of undermining your own early access shtick. So you're selling loot boxes with the premise that you can unlock early access to ships and possibly skip a large portion of the grind up a line. And now if that line gets reset people who actually bought into that early access scheme get penalized for it. Did you guys run this by your marketing department? Because I would wager a guess saying no. Pretty sure I'd be able to hear them banging their heads on their desks in Prague halfway throughout Europe.

A player will be able to earn 10,000 Research Points for one branch reset

the Colbert (worth 57000 research points)

So the equivalent of six line regrinds for one ship. I know you guys are probably worried that veterans sitting on metric tons of free XP could just get such reward ships the moment they go live, but seriously: this puts the per ship value at around 6.000.000 free XP (assuming a rough 1.000.000 free XP to skip an entire line to tier X). Tier IX premium ships went for 750.000 free XP until they got price hiked to 1.000.000 ... now that price sextuples!?

Maybe WG shouldn't have inflated the availability of free XP with the various signal flags and camouflages to a point where such drastic measures seem to be required.

Oh ... and just to drive that point home:

On 7/30/2019 at 10:29 AM, Tanatoy said:

One bundle of 250,000 free XP will cost 12500 research points.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, really? Are you joking? Please tell me you're joking! Why would ANYONE take this offer ... EVER? It takes roughly 1.000.000 free XP to skip the grind of an entire line to tier X ... and you sell it for 12500 research points, which is the equivalent of 1.25 line regrinds, i.e.: 1.250.000 free XP.

This has to be joke. You can't seriously be offering a bundle that costs five times as much of the equivalent ressource that you gain from it. This is bonkers!

• Cool 5

Players
8,772 posts
8,662 battles
On 7/30/2019 at 11:28 AM, Tanatoy said:

The research bureau system will be divided into seasons of 3 months each.

I dont understand this:

What happens after 3 months? I lose my Research Points? Or i can reset the same line again? Or both? Something else ?!

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
3 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I dont understand this:

What happens after 3 months? I lose my Research Points? Or i can reset the same line again? Or both? Something else ?!

Way I read this is each season gives you a bonus to research points earned for the first line you regrind during said season. You recieve standard research points for any second line regrind during the season or any regrind outside of season.

[RONIN]
Players
78 posts
17,231 battles

totaly bad ıdea…..

WG pls dont touch the game.. thıs ıs very bad ıdea… ıf u have more free tıme? good.. pls work on cv lıne and aa mechanıcs.. or other shıps balance.. or new shıp lıne but dont create NTC or same lıke thıs bad ıdea ..

• Cool 1

[J4XP2]
Players
54 posts
12,540 battles

What about the progress in the grind to the legendary modules? Will that be lost or saved so you can continue it when you reach T10 again?

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles
1 hour ago, VPH030 said:

What about the progress in the grind to the legendary modules? Will that be lost or saved so you can continue it when you reach T10 again?

This is a mission.

Missions do not get touched.

[SONLY]
Beta Tester
63 posts
7,780 battles

My feeling about this whole thing: Ugh

I don't see the appeal in this regrind idea. Its nice and all that WG dropped the buffs idea so it definitely is not mandatory now. I'm curious how many players will actually go for this though? Like with the lootboxes, WG keeps doing it because it works. Appearantly enough of the playerbase is silly enough to go for these carrots dangling in front of their noses. So while we can redicule WG for maintaining their policy, if it works it is sort of justified. I would expect this idea to totally tank, but since there are appearantly enough crazy people buying lootboxes, I fear they will also buy into this nonesense.

Anyways, I won't be going near this turd of an idea for any reward. So have fun. :cap_hmm:

I really hope WG wake up and start coming up with some more creative and interesting ideas to keep this game fun to play rather then a continuous grindfest.