You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
rebel1233

Something needs to be done about BB gameplay

46 comments in this topic

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles

Edit: As most here seem to wish, I removed the body of text I'd written. There's not purpose to this post anymore, thank you for listening. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[SHEN]
Players
1,437 posts
14,198 battles

Higher tiers played : T7, speaking about game balance.

Hmmm ok, this is going to be fun :)

[CATS]
Players
24,930 posts
13,719 battles
4 minutes ago, rebel1233 said:

I mainly play battleships in this game. I love big guns  and lots of armour. However, I'm increasingly seeing just how useless this class is.

*useless rant*

If you cannot make the class work, play something else.

Other players do just fine in BB. Therefore it has something to do with your playstyle.

[MORIA]
Players
7,209 posts
33,824 battles

Mostly battleships are against enemy cruisers. Though some BBs are good also against other BBs (RN line) or specific ones (Yamato and Musashi with 460mm overmatch) . They also take enemy fire on themselves covering their cruisers. 

Every other BB can punish enemy broadside BB. Ofc there are some exceptions like Scharnhorst having smaller caliber guns with better reload. 

[TACHA]
Players
1,384 posts
15,159 battles

I can accept that BB play can be a little slow but at higher tiers the accuracy is far better. Also secondaries can become very powerful at T7 and above and Russian battleships do have cruiser accuracy at ranges of 10km. The lower tier BBs have awful dispersion but do soak up damage. I sometimes take out the Mikasa for a laugh to see what really awful dispersion is really like!

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,703 battles

Your forgetting how easy a bb can wipe a cruiser with 1 salvo

They also easy kill spotted dds with HE ammo 

Also set fires easy when shooting enemy bbs with HE

Bbs have some of the best aa in the game 

Do I need to go on about a class that's well known as easiest class to play

[SCRUB]
Players
3,688 posts
15,946 battles

Imo the role of the BB is just to be "present"; i.e.

- be close enough (e.g. to a cap) to pose a danger to the enemy, and a significant danger to those who try to cap

- be close enough to support your DDs and please shoot enemy DDs; even a single overpen can tip the outcome of a DD duel in your DD's / team's favour

- be close enough so enemies will see you as a target; learn how to tank properly (angle vs AP, dcp and heal usage vs HE) - use your health for your teammates that have less

- do not overextend; know when it's time to make a (tactical) retreat and heal up (you also don't have to sail full speed all the time - most of the time in my BB I alter between 1/4 and 3/4 or Full speed)

TLDR; in a BB make the enemy acknowledge your strengths, use them as an asset for your team by presenting them in the face of the enemy (i.e. big guns, lots of health, strong armour, good AA / secondaries), as long as you don't forget to acknowledge your weaknesses (i.e. bad concealment, slow and sluggish).

• Cool 3

[SLAPP]
Players
58 posts
15,538 battles
10 minutes ago, beercrazy said:

They also easy kill spotted dds with HE ammo 

Did they actually change the way BB AP works against dd's? They were discussing it last time I played back in December.

Players
395 posts
1,295 battles

Just putting this out there,

so far in my Massachusetts I've:

deleted a DD in one shot,

shot down more planes than any of my other ships,

followed a DD and together we've capped all 3 points to win,

pulled a 'Salamander death ride' to tie up 4 enemy ships whilst a DD finished capping their base (no Hammerwell's Salute to Spring though)

Basically a BB can do anything, it's up to you what you do with it.

• Cool 3

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles
33 minutes ago, Podalire said:

Higher tiers played : T7, speaking about game balance.

Hmmm ok, this is going to be fun :)

Yeah sorry but in a game as large as this it's not just the 1% of dedicated, tier X players that matter. 

Players
1,551 posts

Welcome to Art imitating Nature.

"After Indiana was stricken in 1962, the four Iowa-class ships were the only battleships in commission or reserve anywhere in the world. There was an extended debate when the four Iowa ships were finally decommissioned in the early 1990s. USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin were maintained to a standard where they could be rapidly returned to service as fire support vessels, pending the development of a superior fire support vessel. These last two battleships were finally stricken from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register in 2006.[90][91][92] The Military Balance and Russian Foreign Military Review states the U.S. Navy " <source Wikipedia >

Why???

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles
28 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

I can accept that BB play can be a little slow but at higher tiers the accuracy is far better. Also secondaries can become very powerful at T7 and above and Russian battleships do have cruiser accuracy at ranges of 10km. The lower tier BBs have awful dispersion but do soak up damage. I sometimes take out the Mikasa for a laugh to see what really awful dispersion is really like!

Yes, that's why I specified that I only play up to tier 7. You can't really make an argument that it gets better at tier 7 and that we should just accept that lower tiers aren't as good.

Players
3,086 posts
13,789 battles
37 minutes ago, rebel1233 said:

*snip*

TL;DR. Maybe ask the forum for advice on how to get better (you need some) rather than post another BBaby whine thread with no substance, weighted facts or solid evidence. Just a tip. 

38 minutes ago, rebel1233 said:

Here's the solution I propose. Either give battleships cruiser accuracy or give cruisers battleship accuracy. In doing this, battleships get a class they're good against, other than themselves, so that, if both players are equally skilled, the battleship will most of the time come out on top. Make it either so that cruisers can't just dodge every salvo fired at them or so that they can't just HE spam battleships with their laser accuracy with impunity. 

And as for this part.... Really? So you want BB's to be cruiser like and what? Cruisers to not exist to make the game easier for you? Get the :etc_swear: out. How about LEARN TO PLAY THE CLASSES. If you think cruiser play and DD play is clearly so easy and punishes BB's so hard, why aren't your results in them better than your BB results.

Git. Gud.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
8,799 posts
8,664 battles

:fish_panic:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2324ba227a2d2d5f7266f9d58ec7fee6.png

Dire situation, enemy has basicly all caps, surrounded by enemies.

GK: Hold my Beer :Smile_izmena:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.275495f595420b08a1ec93a5d3307662.png

4 minutes, 100k damage and 1,5million potential later i mowed through 2 DDs, a Cruiser and an almost Full HP Yamato. My team got rid of the Musashi aswell.

Spoiler

shot-19_07.26_13_38.44-0698.thumb.jpg.aab8f68738e35781aa62298675a292f4.jpg

image.thumb.png.c29e44f9167ac22ab79ae17a9bcab48c.pngshot-19_02.27_21_49.17-0276.thumb.jpg.79db20b919c86d2332453e39781ce4e5.jpgshot-19_01.16_00_50.42-0244.thumb.jpg.8b93661469285a802e5ab589eca45797.jpgshot-19_01.22_22_33.17-0971.thumb.jpg.e338ec4ce05f639474234659647338d6.jpg

Tasty Cruisers :cap_popcorn:

Now something for real:

BBs arent weak, and they for sure arent useless. A lot of people just cant play them properly, so they are useless the way they play them. You need BBs to give you map control, because most ships will not dare to push against a BB, not even BBs themselves. At the same time, BBs need help from DDs and Cruisers aswell, which is good. You arent supposed to be a one-man show, and still BBs can do a lot of stuff by themselves aswell, as seen in my first 2 screenshots.

• Cool 2

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles
2 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

TL;DR. Maybe ask the forum for advice on how to get better (you need some) rather than post another BBaby whine thread with no substance, weighted facts or solid evidence. Just a tip. 

And as for this part.... Really? So you want BB's to be cruiser like and what? Cruisers to not exist to make the game easier for you? Get the :etc_swear: out. How about LEARN TO PLAY THE CLASSES. If you think cruiser play and DD play is clearly so easy and punishes BB's so hard, why aren't your results in them better than your BB results.

Git. Gud.

Again, as I'd said, I'm a perfectly average player. The problem with BBs is that there is, compared to other classes, very little that skill will improve since your primary armament is so dependant on RNG. There's a much bigger difference between a good DD player and a bad DD player than between good and bad BB players.

• Cool 1

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

:fish_panic:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.2324ba227a2d2d5f7266f9d58ec7fee6.png

Dire situation, enemy has basicly all caps, surrounded by enemies.

GK: Hold my Beer :Smile_izmena:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.275495f595420b08a1ec93a5d3307662.png

4 minutes, 100k damage and 1,5million potential later i mowed through 2 DDs, a Cruiser and an almost Full HP Yamato. My team got rid of the Musashi aswell.

Reveal hidden contents

shot-19_07.26_13_38.44-0698.thumb.jpg.aab8f68738e35781aa62298675a292f4.jpg

image.thumb.png.c29e44f9167ac22ab79ae17a9bcab48c.pngshot-19_02.27_21_49.17-0276.thumb.jpg.79db20b919c86d2332453e39781ce4e5.jpgshot-19_01.16_00_50.42-0244.thumb.jpg.8b93661469285a802e5ab589eca45797.jpgshot-19_01.22_22_33.17-0971.thumb.jpg.e338ec4ce05f639474234659647338d6.jpg

Tasty Cruisers :cap_popcorn:

Now something for real:

BBs arent weak, and they for sure arent useless. A lot of people just cant play them properly, so they are useless the way they play them. You need BBs to give you map control, because most ships will not dare to push against a BB, not even BBs themselves. At the same time, BBs need help from DDs and Cruisers aswell, which is good. You arent supposed to be a one-man show, and still BBs can do a lot of stuff by themselves aswell, as seen in my first 2 screenshots.

Yes, that's why I specified that I only play up to tier 7. I'm aware that things change when you reach higher tiers. My point is that that doesn't mean you can just ignore what goes on at tier 5 or 6, where BB accuracy is so incredibly terrible.

Players
1,551 posts

BTW

I found the lower tier you go in a BB, The more torpedoes you have to dodge.

However there is a " rumour " that there is going to be a new radar super Battle Cruiser ( BB Tech Tree )  in a lower tier.  

Happy Hunting 

Players
3,086 posts
13,789 battles
5 minutes ago, rebel1233 said:

Again, as I'd said, I'm a perfectly average player. The problem with BBs is that there is, compared to other classes, very little that skill will improve since your primary armament is so dependant on RNG. There's a much bigger difference between a good DD player and a bad DD player than between good and bad BB players.

That’s simply not true. There is a metric :etc_swear: ton you need to learn and know to be a good BB player. Like I suggested. Make a thread asking for advice on BB play style rather than this original monstrosity. You will get help that way.

[JRM]
Players
5,545 posts
22,760 battles
9 minutes ago, Mr_Smasher said:

However there is a " rumour " that there is going to be a new radar super Battle Cruiser ( BB Tech Tree )  in a lower tier.  

WUT?

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,228 posts
18,952 battles
6 minutes ago, rebel1233 said:

Yes, that's why I specified that I only play up to tier 7. I'm aware that things change when you reach higher tiers. My point is that that doesn't mean you can just ignore what goes on at tier 5 or 6, where BB accuracy is so incredibly terrible.

It's terrible for a reason as otherwise other classes wouldn't stand a chance.

The last time WG introduced a low-mid tier BB with good accuracy it became so ludicrously overpowered it outperformed ships 2 tiers higher easily.

• Cool 2

Players
2,268 posts
18,111 battles

I'm not a proficient BB player but I do play them, and every time I do I'm amazed by how fragile cruisers are especially at mid tiers. Sure the dispersion can be RNG terribad, but f it isn't it's God like destructive for the cruisers on the receiving end. The reason why RNG is such a big factor in BB guns is nobody should want that much effective alpha at every salvo, from each of the 5 battleships per team. There wouldn't be any cruisers or destroyers left after 3 minutes of round time had passed. I also I kill off plenty of wounded destroyers at medium ranges like 12 to 15 km away, with regular AP. Again with the spread BB's have. The most annoying ships are long range HE spamming ones. But when you are not insta striking cruisers for 2\3rd of their HP, you are expected to chip damage and land an occasional citadel until you do.

I fail to understand how you are saying that you are not hard countering cruisers at tier 5 to 7. You probably need to learn to fire at more opportune moments and positions. But that's hard to say without seeing you play.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

1 hour ago, rebel1233 said:

Here's the solution I propose. Either give battleships cruiser accuracy or give cruisers battleship accuracy.

MOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OP, your post is such a pile of :etc_swear: but I forgive you, you made me laugh.

• Cool 2

[NAANI]
Players
7 posts
1,513 battles
6 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

MOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OP, your post is such a pile of :etc_swear: but I forgive you, you made me laugh.

Thank you, God.

• Funny 1